All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Dancing on Ice’s Oti Mabuse is joined by her husband for performance.
Dancing on Ice judge Oti Mabuse performed on the hit “Dancing On Ice” show for the first time ever on Sunday 27 February alongside her husband Marius Lepure.
Oti Mabuse, known for being a professional dancer on the BBC show Strictly Come Dancing, teamed up with her fellow judges Olympic skaters Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean to choreograph a one-off performance.
Russian arts cancelled worldwide.
The invasion of Ukraine has prompted responses from the cultural and sporting spheres, with Russian artists and companies beginning to feel the repercussions of decisions taken by the Kremlin.
The Royal Opera House has cancelled a planned residency by Moscow’s Bolshoi Ballet, one of the oldest and most prestigious ballet companies in the world. “A summer season of the Bolshoi Ballet at the Royal Opera House had been in the final stages of planning,” the ROH said. “Unfortunately, under the current circumstances, the season cannot now go ahead.” The dance troupe had been due to stage 21 performances from 26 July to 14 August.
Performances by the Russian State Ballet of Siberia have been cancelled by Wolverhampton Grand Theatre and the Royal and Derngate in Northampton.
The Ballet Icons Gala at the Coloseum in London on the 13th of March has also been cancelled.
Hundreds to take part in show dance for Birmingham’s Commonwealth Games.
Mass tap-dancing and a giant city centre forest are among more than 200 events planned for the 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games’ cultural festival. Hundreds of people will take part in a performance of dance, acrobatics and aerial displays. Organisers said more than a hundred community groups will also stage their own festival events.
The six-month programme will run from March to September 2022, around the city’s hosting of the sporting games.
Martin Green, the chief creative officer of Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, said the festival would be “absolutely central” to the games.
“The festival is an incredible opportunity to showcase the amazingly vivid cultural world that is reflected in Birmingham and the West Midlands.”
Wickford dancers qualify for Dance World Cup.
TALENTED dancers will compete in Spain after booking their spot in the Dance World Cup, but are calling for support from the public to help fund their dreams.
Five girls from the Talents Theatre School in Wickford have qualified to compete in the “greatest dance competition for children and young adults around the world”.
However, the trip is self-funded and already proving expensive, so the girls have launched a fundraising campaign in a bid to gain public support.
Sophie Gilligan, Amelia Slowe, Tia Goodman, Jessica Dodkins and Rosie Vizard, aged between 13 and 16, will now be able to fulfil their dreams of dancing on an international stage.
Article By Sophie England
Dance drama at Phoenix Theatre looks at the compassion of women.
KATHAKALI – classical dance drama from Kerala in southern India – is coming to The Phoenix Theatre and Arts Centre in Bordon on April 13 in a story highlighting the dignity, strength and compassion of women.
Kala Chethena Kathakali Company will bring emotion, colour and incredible characters to the stage, combining storytelling, dance, drama, ritual, vibrant costumes and intricate make-up.
The cast have undergone years of intense training and have performed internationally for decades. They are aiming to make Kathakali accessible and enjoyable to all.
There are three parts to Kathakali day at the Phoenix, starting with a practical workshop from 4pm until 4.45pm in which people can learn how to tell a story like a Kathakali actor through drama, a 4,000-year-old sign language, facial expressions, characters and movement.
Zorro the Musical announces London cast.
Casting has been announced for the London return of Zorro the Musical at Charing Cross Theatre.
The show, which has book by Stephen Clark and Helen Edmundson, features music by the Gipsy Kings and John Cameron, with lyrics by Clark.
Appearing will be Ajjaz Awad (ensemble), Pete Ashmore (Don Alejandro), Amy Bastani (ensemble), Isobel Bates (ensemble), Ben Boskovic (ensemble), Matthew Bugg (ensemble), Paige Fenlon (Luisa), Alex Gibson-Giorgio (Ramon), Maxwell Griffin (ensemble), Matthew Heywood (ensemble), Jessica Lim (ensemble), Phoebe Panaretos (Inez), Jessica Pardoe (ensemble), Marc Pickering (Garcia), Benjamin Purkiss (Diego/Zorro), Stylianos Thomadakis (ensemble) and Hannah Woodward (ensemble).
Directed by Christian Durham, the piece has choreography by Cressida Carré, set and costume design by Rosa Maggiora, musical direction and orchestration by Nick Barstow, sound design by Andrew Johnson, lighting by Matthew Haskins, fight direction by Renny Krupinski, casting by Jane Deitch and general management by Chris Matanlé
The piece, telling the tale of the iconic masked hero, runs from 2 April to 28 May.
AJ Odudu to front FOUR new TV shows following ‘mad scramble’ to sign her after Strictly.
Her Strictly Come Dancing adventure ended in heartbreak, but AJ Odudu is one of its biggest winners after being offered four high-profile TV jobs following her appearance on the show.
The presenter was devastated after a foot injury ruled her out of competing in the Strictly grand final alongside professional dance partner Kai Widdrington in December.
But weekly appearances on the long-running talent show has helped win AJ, 34, a broader fan base and the opportunity to feature on a wider range of forthcoming projects.
she is now poised for greater exposure with the star linked to new Vietnam based reality show The Bridge, E4 show The Big Blow Out, BBC series Picture Slam and popular reality TV series Married At First Sight UK
General News & Sighting
- The Scottish Ballet has ended its partnership with BP.
- Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, has warned that the UK Government’s decision to cut arts funding in London will deliver a “devastating blow” to the city’s creative sector. (The Stage)
- Theatre operators, including the Ambassador Group and LW Theatres, have outlined their plans to lift covid restrictions in England. They will drop the requirement for covid passports and the mandatory wearing of facemasks in auditoriums – although the latter will still be recommended.
- “Back To The Future” extends it’s run in the West End until October 2022.
- Alexandra Burke, Linzi Hately, Jason Donovan & Jac Yarrow will star in the UK & Ireland tour of “Joseph and the amazing technicolour Dreamcoat”. The tour will open at the Manchester Opera House on the 23rd of March.
- Lead casting for “The Cher Show” has been announced. It will star Millie O’Connell, Danielle Stears & Debbie Karup. This new production is directed by Arlene Phillips and choreographed by Oti Mabuse. It opens at the Curve Theatre in Leicester on the 15th of April before touring for a year.
- The cast for “My Fair Lady” in the West End has been revealed. Amara Okereke will play Eliza. The dance arrangements are by Trude Rittman. It will begin previews at the Coliseum in London on the 7th of May.
- The 2022 cast for “Fantasically Great Women Who Changed The World” has been announced. The choreography is by Danielle Lecointe.
- Fresh faces will be joining “Cabaret” in the West End from the 21st of March. Fra Fee & Amy Lennox will be taking over the lead roles. The choreography is by Julia Cheng.
- The What’s On Stage Awards 2022 took place. “Frozen” was the big winner this year winning 7 categories including the Best Choreography award for Rob Ashford. The award for Best West End Show went to “Six – The Musical”. The Best Musical Revival award went to “Anything Goes”.
- Annie Guy will be joining the West End cast of “Bonnie And Clyde” as Dance Captain. Megan Rebecca Louch will be the Associate Director and Choreographer.
- We spotted Carrie Willis as the Dance Captain at “Mimma The Musical” this week. The choreography was by Chris Whittaker.
Future Dance News
- Louis Tomlinson cancels his upcoming tour dates in Russia and the Ukraine.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Breakin’ Convention, Sadlers Wells annual festival of Hip Hop, is back for it’s 19th year from the 29th of April until the 1st of May. It will be hosted by Jonzi D.
- The Tribe Showcase will take place on the 28th of May at the Docklands Innovation Park in Dublin. It will be hosted by Lisette Kroll.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Amy Dowden announced her short tour of “An Evening With Amy Dowden” – visiting Port Talbot on the 3rd of April, Exmouth on the 7th of April and Stourbridge on the 12th of April.
- Sir Matt Bourne announced that “The Car Man” will be at the Royal Albert Hall in London from the 9th until the 19th of June.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- Harry Styles announced a UK & European tour starting in Glasgow in June.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- Harry Stiles, Billie Eilish and Kanye West will headline this years Coachella Festival on the 15 – 17th of April & 22 – 24th of April.
- There was a press conference for the launch of “Dance Reflections” by Van Cleef & Arpels. This is a festival of past, present and future contemporary dance, presented with Sadlers Wells, the Royal Opera House and the Tate Modern.There are 16 productions and it will take place between the 9th and the 23rd of March.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- Erica Mulkern’s “Suzy Homemaker” will be performed at the Lawence Batley Theatre on the 25th of March.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
Auditions & Appointments
- The audition for Stuart Bishop’s new dance agency “3Rings” will take place at the Base Studios in London on the 7th of April. The Boys audition will be with Gaz Davis and the Girls audition with Beky Humphreys. Contact the agency for more information on: email@example.com
- Stopgap Dance Company is looking for dancers with strong contemporary skills. The audition is by invitation only on the 20th of April. For more information and to apply, visit the company website. The deadline is the 6th of April.
- Backyard Cinemas are looking for dancers to join it’s Spring/Summer season. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ballet Jazz Montreal is looking for 2 experienced soloists, with a background in ballet and contemporary dance, for a season’s contract. The audition is in Montreal on the 12th of March. The deadline for applications is the 4th of March. For more information contact: email@example.com
- Addict Dance Academy is looking for an Admissions Officer. Send your C.V to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Dance Company Wales is looking for dancers. Auditions will be held at the Dance House in Cardiff on the 2nd of April. For further information and an application pack, visit the website. The deadline is the 7th of March.
- Portland Ballet in the USA is looking for company dancers and apprentices. Audition is by invitation only. The application deadline is the 31st of March. See the company website for further details.
- The Jackie Palmer Stage School is looking for a Dance Teacher to teach Tap, Modern, Ballet and MT. More details are on the website.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: email@example.com
- Carly Woodhouse will become the new Head of Dance at the London School of Musical Theatre (LSMT).
- Alexandre Novelli is giving a class on Mondays at Rare Studios in Liverpool from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Joanne Clifton is giving a class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on the 6th of March from 12.00 – 4.00pm.
- Sophie Haws is offering a Commercial class on Sundays from 6.00 – 7.00pm for £8 at the JD Studio in Southampton.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London. .
- Hannah Levitt Collins has a Heels class on the 14th of March at Base Studios in London from 3.30 – 5.30pm for £15. Contact Hannah on Instagram to book your place.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Fridays from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Lizzie McConachie is giving a Commercial class at Pineapple Studios on Tuesdays from 7.30 – 8.30pm..
- Sophina Afzal is teaching a Jazz/MT class at “Move It” on the 13th of March at 2.45pm.
- Hannah Cleeve is giving a Heels class on Friday the 11th of March from 2.15 – 3.00pm at “Move It”. (This will book up fast)
- Steffi Croxson is teaching 2 classes at “Move It”. A Salsa Fitness class on Friday the 11th at 1.45 – 2.30pm and a Barre Beats class on Sunday the 13th from 3.45 – 4.30pm.
- Jordi Guitart is teaching a class at “Move It” on the 12th of March at 2.15pm in the Fosse Studio.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- Northern Ballet’s “Merlin” will be shown on cinemas across the UK & Ireland on the 24th of April. It was filmed at Leeds Grand Theatre in November 2021. The original music is by Grant Olding and the choreography by Drew McOnie.
- Zizi Strallen, Charlie Stemp and the cast of “Mary Poppins” closed the show on ITV’s “Saturday Night Takeaway”.
- We spotted Anders Deeno Nielson in Kaleen’s new music video for “Games”.
- We spotted Oti Mabuse and her dancers for the forthcoming “I Am Here” tour performing on “Dancing On Ice”.
- We spotted Maria Tsiatsiana & Leandro Palou performing at Annabells in London.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
VIEW DINCWEAR’S DANCE & ACTIVEWEAR COLLECTION
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.