All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
OTI MABUSE – I AM HERE.
Strictly Come Dancing and The Greatest Dancer reigning champion OTI MABUSE is creating a show like no other in 2022.
Prepare for a night of electrifying choreography as Oti is joined by some of the world’s greatest dancers and the West End’s finest singers and musicians.
OTI MABUSE – I AM HERE is a whirlwind celebration of the influences and inspirations that took her on a journey from growing up in South Africa to following her dream. From mesmerising Jives and pumping Sambas to South Africa’s exhilarating Kwaito, this is an explosive night of dance and music that will set your heart racing.
Talented Dacorum dancers set to perform in the English Youth Ballet’s Swan Lake.
The show must go on for dozen talented ballet dancers from Dacorum who are set to perform on stage alongside international professionals.
The youngsters are part of the cast of the English Youth Ballet’s Swan Lake, which will be performed at the Waterside Theatre in Aylesbury later this month.
The ballet was originally set to be performed in 2020 but was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. But luckily the performances have now been rescheduled and the young dancers will finally get their chance to shine on March 22 and 23.
Young Ukrainian dancers, trapped abroad, get Paris residency.
The Kyiv City Ballet danced to a full house in Paris for the last show of a French tour that has left the company stranded after the war broke out in Ukraine. The dancers are torn between body and mind — physically on stage in Paris but in spirit back home in Kyiv.
In other circumstances, the Kyiv City Ballet’s residency at the Théâtre du Chatelet would be a dream come true, but the stranded company of young dancers feels little but heartbreak.
James Wilton Dance bring their new show The Four Seasons to Horsham’s Capitol
James Wilton Dance brings their new show The Four Seasons to Horsham’s Capitol on March 10 as they continue to relish the chance to perform again.
Using Max Richter’s recomposed version of Vivaldi’s seminal work The Four Seasons, the company is promising a work of “immense physicality, driving energy and sweeping beauty”, featuring their signature blend of capoeira, acrobatics, martial arts and classical dance, alongside “stunning” stage and costume designs.
Still at the heart of the company is the dynamic on which it was founded 12 years ago.
Company founder James explains: “I graduated in 2009 and set the company up in 2010. As soon as I graduated, I knew that I wanted to create work to tour and to be doing my own work, and having the company was the natural vessel to do that, between myself and Sarah, the company co-director.
MOVE IT 11-13 March 2022
MOVE IT is the World’s biggest and best dance event, celebrating all forms of dance and the performing arts across three amazing days. No matter what level you are, MOVE IT has something for every dancer, teacher, spectator and professional, at this electric celebration of all things dance and performing arts!
MOVE IT is the biggest and best event in Europe for dance and is an incredible opportunity to see the whole dancing world in one place.
General News & Sighting
- Many of the foreign dancers who have joined the Bolshoi or the Mariinsky dance companies are announcing their departures due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. They include: Xander Parish, Jacopo Tissi, David Motta Soares & Victor Caixeta.
- Theatre Dortmund has set up a support system in Germany for Ukranian dance artists who have had to leave their Country.
- “South Pacific” will return to Sadlers Wells from the 27th of July. It will star Gina Beck & Julian Ovenden. The choreography is by Ann Yee.
- West End musical “The Drifters Girl” has extended its run at the Garrick Theatre until February 2023.
- Louis Gaunt will replace Charlie Stemp as Burt in “Mary Poppins” in the West End from the 22nd of June.
- The cast and creatives for Kilworth House’s revival of “Carousel” have been announced. It will star Emma Kingston & Matt Baker and be directed and choreographed by Nick Winston. Alasdair Postlewaite will be the Associate Choreographer.
- “Old Friends Celebrate Sondheim” will take place at the Sondheim Theatre in London on the 3rd of May. The choreography will be by Stephen Mear and the staging by Sir Matt Bourne & Maria Friedman.
- The Royal Academy of Dance has announced that Steven McRae will be an Ambassador.
- Nominations for this years Olivier Awards were announced. “Cabaret” leads the way with 11 nominations and “Anything Goes” has 9 nominations. The awards ceremony will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on the 10th of April.
- Our “Dancing Times” for March arrived this week. The Dancer of the Month is Emmitt Crawley of the Nederlands Dans Theatre 2.
- Clement Crisp OBE, eminent writer and dance critic, has died aged 90.
Future Dance News
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- The Midland Theatre Ballet presents “Cinderella” at the Crescent Theatre in Birmingham from the 27th of May until the 29th.
- The English Youth Ballet announced its 2022 tour. You can visit its website for more details: englishyouthballet.co.uk
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- Louis Tomlinson cancels his upcoming tour dates in Russia and the Ukraine.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Breakin’ Convention, Sadlers Wells annual festival of Hip Hop, is back for it’s 19th year from the 29th of April until the 1st of May. It will be hosted by Jonzi D.
- The Tribe Showcase will take place on the 28th of May at the Docklands Innovation Park in Dublin. It will be hosted by Lisette Kroll.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Amy Dowden announced her short tour of “An Evening With Amy Dowden” – visiting Port Talbot on the 3rd of April, Exmouth on the 7th of April and Stourbridge on the 12th of April.
- Sir Matt Bourne announced that “The Car Man” will be at the Royal Albert Hall in London from the 9th until the 19th of June.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- Harry Styles announced a UK & European tour starting in Glasgow in June.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- Harry Stiles, Billie Eilish and Kanye West will headline this years Coachella Festival on the 15 – 17th of April & 22 – 24th of April.
- There was a press conference for the launch of “Dance Reflections” by Van Cleef & Arpels. This is a festival of past, present and future contemporary dance, presented with Sadlers Wells, the Royal Opera House and the Tate Modern.There are 16 productions and it will take place between the 9th and the 23rd of March.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- Erica Mulkern’s “Suzy Homemaker” will be performed at the Lawence Batley Theatre on the 25th of March.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
Auditions & Appointments
- Auditions for this years Thursford Christmas Spectacular are on the 20th & 21st of June. Go to www.thursfordjobs.com for more details.
- The audition for Stuart Bishop’s new dance agency “3Rings” will take place at the Base Studios in London on the 7th of April. The Boys audition will be with Gaz Davis and the Girls audition with Beky Humphreys. Contact the agency for more information on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stopgap Dance Company is looking for dancers with strong contemporary skills. The audition is by invitation only on the 20th of April. For more information and to apply, visit the company website. The deadline is the 6th of April.
- Backyard Cinemas are looking for dancers to join it’s Spring/Summer season. For more information email: email@example.com
- Portland Ballet in the USA is looking for company dancers and apprentices. Audition is by invitation only. The application deadline is the 31st of March. See the company website for further details.
- The Jackie Palmer Stage School is looking for a Dance Teacher to teach Tap, Modern, Ballet and MT. More details are on the website.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Megan Curley is giving a class on the 15th of March at Aprils Street Feet Studios in Glasgow from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £8.
- Base Dance Studios is having its “Birthday Bash” at Club 229, Great Portland Street in London on the 17th of March at 6.30pm.
- Alexandre Novelli is giving a class on Mondays at Rare Studios in Liverpool from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sophie Haws is offering a Commercial class on Sundays from 6.00 – 7.00pm for £8 at the JD Studio in Southampton.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London. .
- Hannah Levitt Collins has a Heels class on the 14th of March at Base Studios in London from 3.30 – 5.30pm for £15. Contact Hannah on Instagram to book your place.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Fridays from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: email@example.com
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Lizzie McConachie is giving a Commercial class at Pineapple Studios on Tuesdays from 7.30 – 8.30pm..
- Sophina Afzal is teaching a Jazz/MT class at “Move It” on the 13th of March at 2.45pm.
- Hannah Cleeve is giving a Heels class on Friday the 11th of March from 2.15 – 3.00pm at “Move It”. (This will book up fast)
- Steffi Croxson is teaching 2 classes at “Move It”. A Salsa Fitness class on Friday the 11th at 1.45 – 2.30pm and a Barre Beats class on Sunday the 13th from 3.45 – 4.30pm.
- Jordi Guitart is teaching a class at “Move It” on the 12th of March at 2.15pm in the Fosse Studio.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- “West Side Story” has been released on Disney Plus.
- Strictly star Dianne Buswell is taking part in the new BBC show “Freeze The Fear” with Wim Hof.
- We spotted Strictly stars Karen Hauer & Janette Manrara in the new Freeman’s TV advert.
- We spotted Georgie Hare, Jessica Reeve and Summa Ferguson in the new movie “Batman”.
- We spotted Emily Golding Ellis performing at the NME Awards show at the O2 Academy in Brixton, London.
- We spotted Sallie Jayne in an advert for Space City. The contract was with AJK.
- We spotted Natalie Pearl and her dancers from the First Position School of Dance on BBC South.
- We spotted Kai Thomas on the poster for “Newsies”.
- We spotted Becky Grace dancing in the advert for RealMe phones.
- We spotted Hannah Veerapen & Katherine Emuchay dancing on “Saturday Night Takeaway”.
- We spotted Devon Young dancing with “The Wanted”.
- We spotted Lucy Banfield in the new film “Death On The Nile”.
- We hope that everyone who is at “Move It” this weekend has a fantastic time.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.