All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
London Theatre Week Promotion.
For a strictly limited time, book tickets to see some of London’s hottest musicals including, The Lion King, The Book of Mormon, and Frozen as well as smash-hit plays like Life of Pi, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and many more!
London Theatre Week, the successful and popular West End theatre ticket promotion, has announced its return. The initiative, which is dedicated to helping audiences experience the breadth of entertainment available in London’s vibrant theatres by offering the best prices for the widest selection of West End shows, will run from Monday 21 February until Sunday 6 March. Even more, shows are available this time around with prices from £15, Tickets are now on sale at londontheatreweek.com.
The initiative, which is in its fourth year and bigger than ever before, sees nearly 50 shows taking part. This includes classic West End productions and critically acclaimed shows such as The Lion King, The Book of Mormon, and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Also, as part of the expansion of the initiative in 2022, newcomers to the West End stage such as Frozen, Back To The Future, and Cinderella are included.
Tributes flood in for music entrepreneur Jamal Edwards.
Prince Charles and rappers Dave and AJ Tracey are among the many voices paying tribute to entrepreneur and YouTube star Jamal Edwards. Edwards, who has died at the age of 31, is the son of singer and presenter Brenda Edwards, who said she was “completely devastated”.
The Prince of Wales paid tribute to his work for The Prince’s Trust.
Dave simply wrote: “Thank you for everything. Words can’t explain” while Tracey said he was a “legend”.
Edwards was the founder of SBTV, an online grime and rap music platform which helped launch the careers of artists like Dave, Ed Sheeran and Skepta. He first got into film-making after his parents gave him a video camera as a Christmas present when he was 15.
Born in Luton and later moving to west London, he was appointed an MBE for services to music in 2014. A pioneering figure in British rap and grime music, Edwards attended the Brit Awards earlier this month and was understood to have performed as a DJ at a gig in north London on Saturday night.
His company confirmed his death on Sunday, saying he died that morning. His mother said he “passed away after a sudden illness”.
Oti Mabuse to leave Strictly Come Dancing.
Oti Mabuse has announced she is leaving Strictly Come Dancing after seven years as a professional dance partner.
Sharing the news on Instagram, she said: “Never easy to say goodbye. I have been part of the most amazing TV show, Strictly Come Dancing for the past seven years and it has been an incredible time.
“Lifting the glitterball twice and having the best journey with all my celebrities, but also meeting and working with the best team, crew, producers, celebs and incredible professional dancers! You are my family and I adore you all forever.”
Dame Arlene Phillips ‘overcome with emotion’ while collecting honour.
Arlene Phillips – a staple of the worlds of dance, theatre and television – has said she was “overcome with emotion” while collecting her damehood.
The former Strictly Come Dancing judge, 78, received the honour for services to dance and charity from Princess Royal at a ceremony at Windsor Castle this week.
Dame Arlene said she spoke with Anne about her love of dance and how it can inspire others.
Dame Arlene was a judge on Strictly Come Dancing from the show’s first season in 2004 until 2008 and was then replaced by Alesha Dixon in 2009. She found fame when she created the provocative dance group Hot Gossip in 1974, and later choreographed for some of the West End and Broadway’s biggest shows, including Grease, Starlight Express, We Will Rock You, The Wizard Of Oz, The Sound Of Music, Saturday Night Fever and Flashdance.
She also competed in the recent series of I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! and was the first contestant to be eliminated from Gwrych Castle in North Wales.
Cuban flair as a thrilling dance show comes to The Lowry.
There will be exhilarating entertainment for all when renowned international ballet star Carlos Acosta brings his world-class dance company The Lowry. The Havana-based Acosta Danza will be presenting 100% Cuban on February 22 and 23, performing five works packed full of Cuban flair and featuring 12 incredible dancers.
Acosta Danza was due to perform at The Lowry in 2020 but those dates had to be cancelled because of the Covid-19 pandemic, but the 100% Cuban show will definitely be worth the wait. It is a new mixed bill of five works, all infused with Cuba’s rich music and dance influences.
Carlos set up Acosta Danza to develop young talent, showcase Cuban performers and put the vibrancy of Cuban culture firmly centre stage. In just six years, the company has developed an unrivalled reputation as an ensemble of magnetic performers with a boundary-pushing repertoire of work by both international and home-grown choreographers.
Matilda The Musical will host World Book Day Live with Matilda and friends.
On Monday 28th February at 11 am, the Cambridge Theatre London, home of Matilda The Musical, will host World Book Day Live with Matilda and friends a special live-streamed event to celebrate World Book Day’s 25th birthday. Long-term partners Roald Dahl Story Company, Royal Shakespeare Company and Puffin are working together to ensure children everywhere can join in the fun. Classrooms and homes across the UK will be able to access the Livestream from 11 am via WorldBookDay.com.
World Book Day Live with Matilda and friends World Book Day Live with Matilda and friends will be hosted by rapper MC Grammar and showcase authors and illustrators supporting World Book Day including two Children’s Laureates, Cressida Cowell and Chris Riddell, Greg James, Chris Smith, Frank Cottrell-Boyce, Humza Arshad, Allen Fatimaharan, Hannah Lee, and two new talents from World Book Day’s #PassThePen initiative with BookTrust Nizrana Farook and Maisie Chan. The event will also feature live drawings throughout by Chris Riddell.
O2 arena in London sets a reopening date after Storm Eunice shreds the roof.
Storm Eunice leads to cancelled shows and theatres closed. The O2 arena will remain closed until Friday after part of its roof was ripped off by Storm Eunice. Repair work is underway after sections of the London venue’s covering were torn away from supporting ribs by high winds on Friday (February 18). A number of events, which had been due to go ahead next week, have been rescheduled due to the closure.
A statement from the venue said: “The O2 prides itself on being a venue full of entertainment but following Friday’s storm, we’re not quite looking our best. “We want to continue to provide a safe and secure best-in-class experience for our visitors, so we have made the decision to remain closed until Friday, February 25 to give us time to carry out some necessary works on our roof.”
General News & Sighting
- “Like A Butterfly”, the dance/theatre production based on the life of Muhammad Ali, will open at the Pyramid Arts Centre, Warrington, on the 19th of March. The choreography is by Ryan-Lee Seager and Associate Choreographer Stacey Atkinson.
- “& Juliet” announces new West End cast members. The new ensemble includes: Collette Guitart, Ebony Clarke, Bessy Ewa, Cassandra Lee & Zara MacIntosh. The new cast will begin on the 29th of March.
- Complete casting has been revealed for the revival of “Anyone Can Whistle”. It will begin previews at the Southwalk Playhouse on the 1st of April. The choreography is by Lisa Stevens.
- The initial cast and creative team for “Bonnie And Clyde” in the West End have been revealed. It will star George Maguire and Natalie McQueen and be directed by Nick Winston. The production will open at the Arts Theatre on the 9th of April.
- Karen Hauer & Gorka Marquez opened their “Firedance” tour at Milton Keynes. The press night is on Thursday at the New Wimbledon theatre.
- The Offie (Off West End Awards) for Choreography/Movement went to Robbie O’ Reilly for “Boys In The Buff” at the Drayton Arms Theatre.
- Mass Movement took home the award for “Best Visual Spectacular” at the Event Production awards.
- The hosts, performers and presenters were announced for the 22nd annual What’s On Stage awards. It will take place at the Prince Of Wales Theatre in London on the 27th of February.
- As the Strictly Live Tour came to an end, Rose & Giovani have crowned tour champions with a new record of 31 wins.
- Rose & Giovani’s “Dance In Silence” won the Broadcast award for “TV Moment Of The Year”. The choreography was by Ash-Leigh Hunter and Arduino Bertoncello.
- Dean Lee will be the choreographer on ITV’s new Saturday night show “Starstruck”.
- Janet Jackson made a visit to the KitKat Club to watch “Cabaret” in the West End.
- In the USA, Coachella and the Stagecoach festivals are dropping all covid-related restrictions.
Future Dance News
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Breakin’ Convention, Sadlers Wells annual festival of Hip Hop, is back for it’s 19th year from the 29th of April until the 1st of May. It will be hosted by Jonzi D.
- The Tribe Showcase will take place on the 28th of May at the Docklands Innovation Park in Dublin. It will be hosted by Lisette Kroll.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Amy Dowden announced her short tour of “An Evening With Amy Dowden” – visiting Port Talbot on the 3rd of April, Exmouth on the 7th of April and Stourbridge on the 12th of April.
- Sir Matt Bourne announced that “The Car Man” will be at the Royal Albert Hall in London from the 9th until the 19th of June.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- Harry Styles announced a UK & European tour starting in Glasgow in June.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- Harry Stiles, Billie Eilish and Kanye West will headline this years Coachella Festival on the 15 – 17th of April & 22 – 24th of April.
- There was a press conference for the launch of “Dance Reflections” by Van Cleef & Arpels. This is a festival of past, present and future contemporary dance, presented with Sadlers Wells, the Royal Opera House and the Tate Modern.There are 16 productions and it will take place between the 9th and the 23rd of March.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- Erica Mulkern’s “Suzy Homemaker” will be performed at the Lawence Batley Theatre on the 25th of March.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
Auditions & Appointments
- Johannes Radebe is looking for a male dancer for his “Freedom” tour. Auditions are on the 23rd of February in London. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ballet Jazz Montreal is looking for 2 experienced soloists, with a background in ballet and contemporary dance, for a season’s contract. The audition is in Montreal on the 12th of March. The deadline for applications is the 4th of March. For more information contact: email@example.com
- Addict Dance Academy is looking for an Admissions Officer. Send your C.V to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Dance Company Wales is looking for dancers. Auditions will be held at the Dance House in Cardiff on the 2nd of April. For further information and an application pack, visit the website. The deadline is the 7th of March.
- Portland Ballet in the USA is looking for company dancers and apprentices. Audition is by invitation only. The application deadline is the 31st of March. See the company website for further details.
- The Jackie Palmer Stage School is looking for a Dance Teacher to teach Tap, Modern, Ballet and MT. More details are on the website.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: email@example.com
- Scottish Ballet has appointed 2 new Board members; Nadhia Ahmad-Ali and Cassa Pancho.
- Christopher Bruce CBE is announced as the new Patron of the Rambert School Of Ballet And Contemporary Dance.
- Joanne Clifton is giving a class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on the 6th of March from 12.00 – 4.00pm.
- Addict Dance Academy in Leicester are hosting an Open Jazz event with Jo Goodwin and Ryan-Lee Seager on Sunday the 27th of February. Contact Addict College for more details.
- Sophie Haws is offering a Commercial class on Sundays from 6.00 – 7.00pm for £8 at the JD Studio in Southampton.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Amy Dowden and Jenny Thomas have a Strictly Style class on Friday the 25th of February at Art In Motion in Cradley. .
- Hannah Levitt Collins has a Heels class on the 14th of March at Base Studios in London from 3.30 – 5.30pm for £15. Contact Hannah on Instagram to book your place.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Fridays from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Lizzie McConachie is giving a Commercial class at Pineapple Studios on Tuesdays from 7.30 – 8.30pm..
- Sophina Afzal is teaching a Jazz/MT class at “Move It” on the 13th of March at 2.45pm.
- Hannah Cleeve is giving a Heels class on Friday the 11th of March from 2.15 – 3.00pm at “Move It”. (This will book up fast)
- Steffi Croxson is teaching 2 classes at “Move It”. A Salsa Fitness class on Friday the 11th at 1.45 – 2.30pm and a Barre Beats class on Sunday the 13th from 3.45 – 4.30pm.
- Jordi Guitart is teaching a class at “Move It” on the 12th of March at 2.15pm in the Fosse Studio.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- In America, “So You Think You Can Dance” is coming back to the FOX network. It is being produced by Nigel Lythgoe.
- 50 Dance companies and venues across the UK are taking part in BBC Arts and One Dance UK’s “Dance Passion” throughout February and March.
- “Mary Poppins” will close the show at ITV’s “Takeaway” this Saturday.
- The first trailer for Baz Luhrmann’s new film “Elvis” was released. The film stars Austin Butler as Elvis Presley.
- We spotted a host of pro dancers on ITV’s new “Saturday Night Takeaway”. First there was Abigail Johnson and Crystal Hantig as stewardeses. We also spotted: Hannah Veerapen, Claire Street, Grant Thresh, Beth Pearcey, Steph Lee, Philip Birchall, Ryan North, Kane Walcott, Freya Nicole, Kyle Seeley & Katherine Isles. The choreography was by Matt Flint and Steph Powell Baxter.
- We spotted Rose Wild, Tanya Foy & Austyn Farrell in Channel 4’s “The Real Dirty Dancing”.
- We spotted several pro dancers performing with Dua Lipa on her “Future Nostalgia” tour: Sammi Lee Jayne, Demi Rox, Sharon June, Robyn Rae Laud & Fatou Bah.
- We spotted Arlene Phillip’s judging on “Dancing On Ice”.
- We spotted Tanya Foy and Maddie Lawton dancing at Joan Collin’s 20th Wedding Annivarsary.
- We spotted Johannes Radebe on the Graham Norton Show.
- We spotted several pro dancers performing with John Newman at the Expo in Dubai: Helayna Liverno, Gemma Hoddy & Anna Maria Barber.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.