All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Expect a lot of Dancing, Music, Romance in ‘Dirty Dancing’ the Sequel.
For fans of “Dirty Dancing,” get ready, because the long-awaited sequel is happening. Actress Jennifer Grey, who played Baby in the 1987 film, told “Good Morning America” that a second film is coming and that she will also reprise her role.
“Right now, getting as close as we’ve ever been to — I think it is happening this year, the sequel for ‘Dirty Dancing,’” Jennifer Grey said. “And I’m executive producing and starring in it, and I am playing Baby.”
As for other details, fans can expect to be transported back to the resort where we first had “The Time of Our Lives.” “It will be at Kellerman’s. There will be dancing, there will be a lot of music and romance,” Jennifer said.
After rising to fame with her performance in the iconic film alongside Patrick Swayze, Jennifer has also published a new memoir, “Out of the Corner.” “What I hope people take away from this book is that no one’s life is perfect,” Grey said. “You don’t get out unscathed. For me, the most painful moments, the most confounding situations, are the ones that I’ve grown the most from and that were, I guess, necessary to get me to where I am today … which is happier than I’ve ever been, is the truth.”
Strictly Come Dancing’s John Whaite ‘heartbroken’ as West End debut cancelled after Cinderella is Axed.
John Whaite has been left ‘heartbroken’ after his West End debut has been scuppered as show he was due to appear in has been axed. The former Bake Off winner wowed viewers during the last series of Strictly Come Dancing.
He made it all the way to the final of the BBC One dance competition alongside professional dancer Johannes Radebe, where they went head-to-head with EastEnders actress Rose Ayling-Ellis and Giovanni Pernice.
As he appeared on the show, there were rumours that theatre bosses were keen to snap him up and he has now revealed he was due to join the cast of Cinderella as Prince Charming this summer. However, the production will end next month, before he was set to make his debut.
Responding to the announcement that Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical will close, John said: “This is heartbreaking news for me because I was due to take the role of Prince Charming in July, but more so for the current cast, band and production who have battled through Covid to bring a brilliant new show to the stage. “My heart goes out to each and every one of them.” He added: “I was lucky enough to watch Cinderella in December 2021 and it was one of the most wonderful musicals I’ve seen in a long time.”
The 32-year-old ended his post: “I was so excited to join the cast, and it was a lifelong dream come true, but sadly it isn’t to be right now. Who knows what the future will hold – I won’t lose hope.”
Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Cinderella” announced its unexpected closure in the West End after a turbulent 12 month run, with a Broadway opening planned for next year. Around 60 people attended a protest against the handling of the closure outside the Gillian Lynne theatre. Equity, the actors union, demanded compensation for its affected members.
BBC Strictly Come Dancing’s AJ Odudu Announces Big Career News.
Strictly Come Dancing’s AJ Odudu has announced big career news. The TV presenter is set to become the first Eurovision spokesperson to present the UK’s points live from the North West.
She will be issuing the country’s points from Media City in Salford on the big night on May 10. The Eurovision Song Contest kicks off at 8pm on BBC One.
AJ announced the news on Instagram. She wrote “HELLOOOOO, this is Salford calling! I’m beyond excited to be the first Eurovision spokesperson to present the UK jury’s douze points live from the North West.”
Back in March, Sam Ryder was announced as the UK’s entry for the Eurovision Song Contest for 2022.
He will compete with his song “Space Man” at the finals in Turin, Italy – this year’s host country, following the victory of Italian rock band Måneskin in 2021’s competition.
Britain’s Got Talent: 5 Star Boys use dancing passion to spread anti-bullying message.
A SWINDON boy’s lifelong love of dance has helped him share a powerful message on one of television’s biggest stages.
Ollie Loveday, 11, wowed millions of Britain’s Got Talent viewers when he and Fivestar Boys produced a stunning performance with an anti-bullying theme. It was revealed that some of the group have battled against prejudice towards young male dancers, receiving verbal and physical abuse. Because of this, Ollie – although not a victim of bullying himself – is keen to support his friends and share the message because he loves dancing. Mum Shona Loveday, from Shrivenham, has been a dance teacher at the Julie Scott Dance Academy in Swindon for 20 years and said she didn’t want him to get into dance because of her – but is happy he found it himself. “His cousin was doing a dance competition and needed a partner, and he did it and has loved dancing from that point,” she said.
Fivestar Boys are now preparing in the hope of making it to the next round of Britain’s Got Talent after receiving unanimous praise from teary judges Simon Cowell, Alesha Dixon, Amanda Holden and David Walliams.
General News & Sighting
- A group of 16 performers and stage managers have won a landmark tribunal brought primarily against Qdos Pantomimes, in a case that hinged on their right to holiday pay and which Equity said could see millions paid out to its members in the future. (The Stage)
- The cast has been announced for the new musical “Stepping Out”. It will star Hayley Tamaddon, Wendi Peters & Rita Simons and open in Portsmouth on the 5th of September before touring. The choreography is by Joanna Goodwin.
- The revival of “A Little Night Music” at the Leeds Playhouse has announced its cast. The choreography is by Lucy Hind.
- “Wicked” extends its run in the West End until the Spring of 2023.
- West End show “& Juliet” will have a sing-along performance on the 6th of June at 7.30pm.
- “Magic At The Musicals” will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on the 18th of September. The initial line-up includes “Frozen” and “Moulin Rouge”.
- Johannes Radebe announced that following his sold-out “Freedom” tour, he will be touring again next year.
- Can You Dance have introduced the Masterclass Games. They will take place on the 29th of May – dancers can compete for Gold, Silver & Bronze in the classes.
- Sadlers Wells has appointed Rob Jones as Associate Artistic Director.
- Tierney Heap is retiring from the Royal Ballet aged 28 due to an unresolvable injury.
- NDC Wales has announced 2 new Artistic Associates: June Campbell-Davies and Osian Meilir.
Future Dance News
- “Resolution”, the biggest annual showcase for new choreography in the UK, returns to The Place in London from the 7th of May until the 10th of June.
- A new musical of “Wuthering Heights” will take place at the Turbine Theatre in London from the 2nd of June until the 4th of June. It has been produced and choreographed by Christopher Tendai.
- Joanna Goodwin will be directing and choreographing “I Wish My Life Were Like A Musical” this year at the Edinburgh Festival with performances from the 3rd to the 28th of August.
- Brit Award winner Becky Hill makes her Ibiza Rocks debut this summer with a 6 weeks residency.
- “Shrek The Musical” will embark on a new UK tour in 2023. It will be directed and choreographed by Nick Winston and will open in Plymouth on the 21st of July 2023.
- “Annie Get Your Gun” will be staged for one night only at the London Palladium on the 1st of June. It will star Amber Davies as Annie.
- Erica Mulhern will perform her show “Suzy Homemaker” at the Lancaster Fringe Festival on the 17th of May at 9.00pm at the Continental in Preston.
- “West End For Ukraine” will take place at the Charing Cross Theatre on the 9th of May, with 100% of the money raised going to UNICEF. Stars taking part include Joanne Clifton & Gina Beck.
- Sir Ian McKellen is to perform alongside ballet dancers in a new show based on “Hamlet” at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- West End Live will take place on the 25th & 26th of June in Trafalgar Square London.
- The Brighton Festival will take place from the 7th of May until the 29th of May. Dance highlights include the Hofesh Shechter Company.
- A new “Strictly Presents” tour was announced. It will feature contestants Maisie Smith & Rhys Stephenson, who will be joined by Strictly pro dancers Neil, Gorka, Jowita & Nancy. The show will tour in June and July.
- The original cast of “Six The Musical” will re-unite for 6 performances at Hampton Court Palace on the 19th & 20th of June. The choreography is by Carrie-Anne Ingrouille.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- The English Youth Ballet announced its 2022 tour. You can visit its website for more details: englishyouthballet.co.uk
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- Louis Tomlinson cancels his upcoming tour dates in Russia and the Ukraine.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Breakin’ Convention, Sadlers Wells annual festival of Hip Hop, is back for it’s 19th year from the 29th of April until the 1st of May. It will be hosted by Jonzi D.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- Harry Styles announced a UK & European tour starting in Glasgow in June.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
Auditions & Vacancies
- BOP, the jazz dance company run by Dollie Henry, is looking for artistic jazz dancers to join the company for its forthcoming projects. The audition is on the 6th of May. Contact Dollie on: email@example.com
- Winchester Theatre Arts is looking for a dance teacher. This is a permanent position starting in September. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Osian Meilir is looking for 2/3 dancers for its new contemporary dance work called “Qwerin” in Cardiff. The deadline is the 13th of May.
- Dancers Career Development is looking for a new Chair of the Board of Trustees. The deadline is the 16th of May. Contact Jennifer Curry on: email@example.com
- One Dance UK is seeking an experienced Project Manager. Enquiries and applications should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Dance Of The Vampires” in Germany is looking for dancers. The auditions are in Hamburg at the end of May. The deadline for applications is the 11th of May. For more information contact: www.instagram.com/casting.stage_entertainment/
- Chantry Dance is seeking a male dancer for its tour of “Beauty & The Beast”. The audition is on the 17th of May. For further details: email@example.com
- Christina Andrea is looking for dancers for the Rugby League Final at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on the 28th of May. There are 2 rehearsals on the 21st & 22nd of May at a London venue. Dancers will get paid £95 plus pitchside seats. Contact: www.rugby-league.com/dance
- “Love Should Not Hurt” is looking for a “male Contemporary dancer from an ethnic minority background” for their performance in September as part of “Festival of the Mind” in Sheffield. There is 4 days of paid work plus the performance day. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org The deadline for applications is the 6th of May.
- English National Ballet has launched a global search for a new Artistic Director to replace Tamara Rojo CBE. For more information visit: www.odgers.com/85718
- Pearson Casting is casting the US tour of ” 9 To 5 – The Musical”.
- Auditions for this years Thursford Christmas Spectacular are on the 20th & 21st of June. Go to www.thursfordjobs.com for more details.
- Backyard Cinemas are looking for dancers to join it’s Spring/Summer season. For more information email: email@example.com
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nathan Clarke & Briony Albert have a class on Friday from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios.
- Hannah Levitt Collins has a Heels class on the 24th of May at Base Studios from 12.30 – 2.30pm. DM Hannah on Instagram to reserve your place.
- London Studio Centre announced the line up of teachers for its Commercial Dance Summer Intensive. These are: Briony Albert, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer, Randall Watson, Josh Denyer & John Graham. It will take place from the 8th of August until the 12th of August.
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Gaz Davis is offering a 3 day Mentor Programme for pro dancers on the 10th -12th of August in London. Contact Gaz on: email@example.com
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Lukas McFarlane will hold an Intensive dance course from the 6th of September to the 15th of September. For more information contact: www.untitleddance.com
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Danceworks in London have a Summer Intensive with Marianela Nunez & Alejandro Parente from the 8th to the 12th of August.
- The TGS Summer Intensive will take place from the 25th to the 29th of July at the Hemingford Pavilion from 10.00 – 3.00pm daily. Collette Guitart (from “Six” & “& Juliet” ) will be the first guest with Michael Andrew Naylor the second guest. Wednesdays guests are Travis Kerry & Nick Kerry from “Hamilton” and on Thursday the guest will be Nikki Trow. On Friday it is Jordi Guitart. To book: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lowri Jackson has a new weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: email@example.com
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Sophie Haws is offering a Commercial class on Sundays from 6.00 – 7.00pm for £8 at the JD Studio in Southampton.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Fridays from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- The final of the BBC Young Dancer competition will be on BBC2 on Saturday the 7th of May at 7.00pm.
- The recording of “Six The Musical”, filmed on it’s opening night on Broadway, will be released on the 6th of May to streaming and digital formats. It features choreography from Carrie-Anne Ingrouille.
- Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber and Lin-Manuel Miranda will collaborate on a new project for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee in June.
- We spotted Lisa Spencer working on the feature film “Barbie” which stars Margot Robbie.
- We spotted Becky Grace performing at the O2 with LaMont.
- We spotted Jaslyn Reader advertising Gymondo.
- We spotted Libby Walker in the new trailer for the film “Fisherman’s Friend: One And All”.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.