All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
UK’s first musical theatre convention to launch at ExCeL.
The ExCeL London is to host the UK’s first musical theatre fan convention in October.
Musical Con, which takes place from 22-23 October, will see thousands of theatre enthusiasts come together for a weekend-long celebration of musicals. Over the weekend, attendees will have the opportunity to meet the stars, celebrate the shows, and learn from professionals. The event will feature a cosplay competition, fan meetups, musical lip-sync battles and show sing-alongs.
Ambassadors for the event are West End superstars Aimie Atkinson, Kerry Ellis, Alice Fearn, Ben Forster, Jodie Steele, Trevor Dion Nicholas, Omari Douglas, Shanay Holmes, Jenna Russell and Layton Williams.
Over 30 special guests have also been announced, including female musical theatre supergroup SVN, with others still to be announced.
Musical Con will be organised by West End Musical Productions with the support of the Society of London Theatre (SOLT).
Emma De Souza, head of marketing and communications at SOLT, said: “We are delighted to support this incredible convention which we look forward to becoming a staple of the West End’s annual events calendar.”
Dance and street arts festival Now Northwich returns.
NOW Northwich is back to bringing the streets of the town centre to life with a jam-packed programme of dance and street arts to astound and enthrall both young and old.
The free festival returns in less than one week on April 30, with another vibrant treat for the eyes and ears
From multisensory experiences to masterful puppetry and mind-blowing installations, Now Northwich 2022 is sure to be a highlight of the year so far.
A spokesperson said: “Until now, Covid has kept us away – but on April 30 we return bigger and bolder than ever with 18 performance and installation pieces by 11 different companies (four more than 2019).
Longtime Grambling choreographer Diane Maroney-Grigsby to be honored.
She has not only lived a life of dance — she has spent decades teaching others to love a life of dance.
Diane Maroney-Grigsby, director and choreographer of Grambling State University’s Orchesis Dance Company, is retiring after nearly 40 years in that position.
But the lady known for her exuberant personality will go out “tripping the light fantastic” as Extensions of Excellence Performing Arts Inc. will present “The Choreographer’s Last Dance” at 7 p.m. Saturday at The Strand Theatre in Shreveport.
Members of the Orchesis Dance Company will join Legacy Dance in the 13th annual Dance His Praise show in the choreographer’s honor.
“For her, dance is not only an artistic form, it’s a lifestyle,” said Orchesis member Octavia Hill. “It’s about life. You have to be on time, every day. You’re going to miss something if you don’t come every day. You miss one day, you feel like you miss a whole week. She has taught us so many things.”
Elf the musical returns to London’s West End!
Holy nutcracker! Buddy the Elf is returning to the West End for a strictly limited run at London’s Dominion Theatre this Christmas! The smash-hit musical will open from 14 November 2022 for an 8-week season and finishing on 7 January 2023. Tickets for Elf musical in London go on sale on Thursday 28 April 2022. Set your reminders because Elf tickets are expected to be in high demand!
Elf musical at the Dominion Theatre will be directed by Philip Wm. McKinley, with original set and costume design by Tim Goodchild, choreography by Liam Steel, lighting design by Patrick Woodroffe and sound by Gareth Owen. There will be casting by David Grindrod CDG for Grindrod Burton Casting.
The London Elf 2022 cast will be announced in due course.
General News & Sighting
- Elon Musk has bought Twitter for $44 billion.
- Agency Dee Boss Talent announced that it is to close. It’s founder blamed the move partly on the unsustainable pressures caused by self-taping.
- Dance company DV8 is to close permanently as its founder Lloyd Newson announced his retirement.
- Casting has been announced for Kilworth House’s upcoming revival of “Half A Sixpence”. Leading the cast is Dominic Sibanda, Laura Baldwin & Sarah Coggin. It will be directed and choreographed by Nick Winston with Megan Louch as Associate Choreographer. The production will run from the 19th of July until the 28th of August.
- “The Tony Blair Rock Opera” has announced its cast. Charlie Baker will star as Tony Blair. The choreography is by Francesca Jaynes. The show will run at the Park Theatre in London from the 1st of June.
- The “Billy Elliot” revival announced its casting. Sally-Ann Triplett will play the role of Mrs Wilkinson. The show will open at the Curve Theatre in Leicester on the 7th of July and run until the 14th of August. It is choreographed by Lucy Hind and James Berkery.
- Rachelle Ann Go is set to return to the role of Fantine in “Les Miserables”. Rachelle will join the UK tour on the 16th of July.
- The first Musical Theatre Convention is to take place at The Excel Centre in London on the 22nd & 23rd of October.
- The first “Flackstock” festival will take place on the 25th of July in memory of Caroline Flack. It will feature music and dance and be in the grounds of Englefield House in Pangbourne, Berkshire.
- The nominations for the 22nd National Dance Awards were announced. There are 355 nominations. The winners will be revealed on the 13th of June.
- “Rock The Ballet” has started its European tour. It is choreographed by Adrienne Canterna.
Future Dance News
- Joanna Goodwin will be directing and choreographing “I Wish My Life Were Like A Musical” this year at the Edinburgh Festival with performances from the 3rd to the 28th of August.
- Brit Award winner Becky Hill makes her Ibiza Rocks debut this summer with a 6 weeks residency.
- “Shrek The Musical” will embark on a new UK tour in 2023. It will be directed and choreographed by Nick Winston and will open in Plymouth on the 21st of July 2023.
- “Annie Get Your Gun” will be staged for one night only at the London Palladium on the 1st of June. It will star Amber Davies as Annie.
- Erica Mulhern will perform her show “Suzy Homemaker” at the Lancaster Fringe Festival on the 17th of May at 9.00pm at the Continental in Preston.
- “West End For Ukraine” will take place at the Charing Cross Theatre on the 9th of May, with 100% of the money raised going to UNICEF. Stars taking part include Joanne Clifton & Gina Beck.
- Sir Ian McKellen is to perform alongside ballet dancers in a new show based on “Hamlet” at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- West End Live will take place on the 25th & 26th of June in Trafalgar Square London.
- The Brighton Festival will take place from the 7th of May until the 29th of May. Dance highlights include the Hofesh Shechter Company.
- A new “Strictly Presents” tour was announced. It will feature contestants Maisie Smith & Rhys Stephenson, who will be joined by Strictly pro dancers Neil, Gorka, Jowita & Nancy. The show will tour in June and July.
- The original cast of “Six The Musical” will re-unite for 6 performances at Hampton Court Palace on the 19th & 20th of June. The choreography is by Carrie-Anne Ingrouille.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- The English Youth Ballet announced its 2022 tour. You can visit its website for more details: englishyouthballet.co.uk
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- Louis Tomlinson cancels his upcoming tour dates in Russia and the Ukraine.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Breakin’ Convention, Sadlers Wells annual festival of Hip Hop, is back for it’s 19th year from the 29th of April until the 1st of May. It will be hosted by Jonzi D.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- Harry Styles announced a UK & European tour starting in Glasgow in June.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
Auditions & Appointments
- One Dance UK is seeking an experienced Project Manager. Enquiries and applications should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Dance Of The Vampires” in Germany is looking for dancers. The auditions are in Hamburg at the end of May. The deadline for applications is the 11th of May. For more information contact: www.instagram.com/casting.stage_entertainment/
- Chantry Dance is seeking a male dancer for its tour of “Beauty & The Beast”. The audition is on the 17th of May. For further details: email@example.com
- Christina Andrea is looking for dancers for the Rugby League Final at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on the 28th of May. There are 2 rehearsals on the 21st & 22nd of May at a London venue. Dancers will get paid £95 plus pitchside seats. Contact: www.rugby-league.com/dance
- “Love Should Not Hurt” is looking for a “male Contemporary dancer from an ethnic minority background” for their performance in September as part of “Festival of the Mind” in Sheffield. There is 4 days of paid work plus the performance day. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org The deadline for applications is the 6th of May.
- English National Ballet has launched a global search for a new Artistic Director to replace Tamara Rojo CBE. For more information visit: www.odgers.com/85718
- Pearson Casting is casting the US tour of ” 9 To 5 – The Musical”.
- Auditions for this years Thursford Christmas Spectacular are on the 20th & 21st of June. Go to www.thursfordjobs.com for more details.
- Backyard Cinemas are looking for dancers to join it’s Spring/Summer season. For more information email: email@example.com
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- London Studio Centre announced the line up of teachers for its Commercial Dance Summer Intensive. These are: Briony Albert, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer, Randall Watson, Josh Denyer & John Graham. It will take place from the 8th of August until the 12th of August.
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Jo Clifton & Tjasa Vulic have classes at Pineapple Studios on the 1st of May. Jo is teaching the Quickstep at 12.00pm and Tjasa is teaching the Cha Cha Cha at 1.00pm.
- Gaz Davis is offering a 3 day Mentor Programme for pro dancers on the 10th -12th of August in London. Contact Gaz on: email@example.com
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Lukas McFarlane will hold an Intensive dance course from the 6th of September to the 15th of September. For more information contact: www.untitleddance.com
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Danceworks in London have a Summer Intensive with Marianela Nunez & Alejandro Parente from the 8th to the 12th of August.
- The TGS Summer Intensive will take place from the 25th to the 29th of July at the Hemingford Pavilion from 10.00 – 3.00pm daily. Collette Guitart (from “Six” & “& Juliet” ) will be the first guest with Michael Andrew Naylor the second guest. Wednesdays guests are Travis Kerry & Nick Kerry from “Hamilton” and on Thursday the guest will be Nikki Trow. On Friday it is Jordi Guitart. To book: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is offering Open classes to professional dancers at Studio 3, Wayne McGregor, London for £30 per class on the 3rd of May (Contemporary), the 4th of May (Ballet) and the 5th of May (Contemporary).
- Lowri Jackson has a new weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: email@example.com
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Alexandre Novelli is giving a class on Mondays at Rare Studios in Liverpool from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sophie Haws is offering a Commercial class on Sundays from 6.00 – 7.00pm for £8 at the JD Studio in Southampton.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Fridays from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- The “Wicked” movie is to be released in 2 parts. The first film will debut in December 2024. Cynthia Erivo & Ariana Grande will star.
- “Heathers The Musical” is to be recorded for a film release from the 3rd of May until the 19th of May. The film is being created by Steam Motion And Sound.
- “Whoever You Are”, the dance film by Javier De Frutos, has been nominated for Best Experimental Short at the 2022 Next Generation Indie Film Awards. The film stars Rae Piper & Paul Chantry. The awards gala will take place in Hollywood on the 18th of June.
- We spotted the following dancers performing on stage with Gola: Gabriela Acosta, Saffron Fisher, Sarah Chapman & Sarah Seville. The choreography was by Sharon June and Haley Monaghan. The contract was with AMCK.
- We spotted Ruby Jalland, Kayla Rene, Kabuki Johnson & Portia Walker performing at the O2 with Lost Girl.
- We spotted Hannah Boddenham & Becky Bryant on stage with the Alan Partridge tour.
- We spotted Danielle Peazer in an advert for Victoria’s Secret.
- We spotted Naomi Wingfield in the Adidas Badge campaign.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.