All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Rose and Giovanni win BAFTA.
Strictly Come Dancing champion Rose Ayling-Ellis was tearful as she and Giovanni Pernice won Virgin Media’s Must-See Moment at the 2022 BAFTA TV Awards. EastEnders star Rose, who was the first deaf contestant to take part in Strictly, and her pro partner Giovanni scooped the award for their powerful silent dance in the 2021 series of the long-running annual contest.
The pair were joined on stage with a British Sign Language interpreter as an emotional Rose said about their award, which was voted for by the public: “It’s a very special moment for us and hopefully it’s shown how powerful TV can be, where actually it can influence and change things.
EU politicians are forced to sit through 10 minutes of interpretive dance during a summit in Strasbourg.
Emmanuel Macron gawps in bemusement as gyrating youths in multi-coloured dancewear tops flow down the steps of the European Parliament in Strasbourg
The Conference on the Future of Europe is a 12-month consultation on how the EU can improve based on the suggestions of citizens – concluded in Strasbourg on Monday 9th May. The event, coinciding with Europe Day, opened with 10 minutes of interpretive dance
Politicians including Emmanuel Macron watched a performance by Danse l’Europe, The Routine narrated by choreographer Angelin Preljocaj, whispering in French: ‘You have just arrived on the Moon… your hands become fish… You discover a new planet. Here, plants have taken power.’
Netflix Unveils Cast of First Finnish Series ‘Dance Brothers’.
Netflix has unveiled the young cast of its first Finnish series, “Dance Brothers,” which is currently filming in Helsinki with Samuel Kujala (“Lakeside Murders”) and Roderick Kabanga (“Gravedigger and the Random People”) playing the lead roles.
The young adult drama series is a co-production between Netflix and Yle, and is created and produced by Max Malka at Banijay’s Endemol Shine Finland. The Finnish language series will launch globally on Netflix in 2023 and will later also be available on Yle. It marks Endemol Shine Finland’s first scripted commission.
Directed by Taito Kawata, “Dance Brothers” centres around the two brothers, Roni (Kabanga) and Sakari (Kujala), as they struggle to make a living as professional dancers. To help finance their dance dreams, they decide to start their own club which provides income, housing and a training space. Their unique club and impressive dance routines quickly bring them fame. Soon artistic ambitions and personal relationships collide with commercial demands, and the love the brothers have for each other will be tested. Malka wrote the script with Reeta Ruotsalainen.
Kai Finke, director EMEA TV licensing at Netflix, described YLE and Endemol Shine Finland as “two incredibly strong local partners” and said the show had the potential to “appeal to both a local and a global audience.”
Malka, who joined Endemol Shine Finland in 2019 from Dionysos Films where she produced movies including “Aurora,” said “Dance Brothers” was “a special project, not only because it is a unique and ground-breaking take on the dance genre.” “We have created a series that will showcase the very best of Finnish creativity on all levels,” added the award-winning executive. She pointed out the show boasts a “combination of high-quality drama, exciting dance and a diverse group of talent.”
The cast is completed by Jeanine Muyima, Fanni Noroila, Lauri Lohi, Eeva Eloranta and Cristal Snow. The premiere date for the series is still to be announced.
Cleveleys dancer Jess Qualter and pal Brooke Blewitt start TikTok dance craze.
A jaunty dance created by a Lancashire, Cleveleys woman and her pal has gone so viral it has been re-created by celebrities and received more than 38 million views.
Jess Qualter and housemate Brooke Blewitt, who are both aged 21 and live in London, we’re listening to an unlikely rap song featuring documentary filmmaker Louis Theroux when they decided to film themselves dancing along to it.
The pair, who are both professional performers in musical theatre, uploaded their slick moves as a short video on the popular platform TikTok, thinking it would amuse their friends.
Unexpectedly, their dance to the song ‘My Money Don’t Jiggle Jiggle’ has become a TikTok phenomenon, spawning versions by fans across the globe and celebrities like Amanda Holden and Holly Willoughby. The song itself, which has also gone viral on TikTok, was born when two DJs from Manchester, Duke and James, hit upon the idea of providing a backup track to a rap that Theroux created while making his series Weird Weekends back in 2000.
The girls, who are both trained in ballet and other dance styles and are graduates of the Laine Theatre Arts in Epsom Surrey, are dressed in hoodies, jogging trousers and dark glasses for the video. Many of those who have recreated the moves even dressed up in similar gear and the dance has spawned hundreds of variations by other TikTokers
General News & Sighting
- Giovanni & Rose won the “Must-See Moment” at the BAFTA’s for their “Silent Dance” on Strictly. The dance was choreographed by Ash-Leigh Hunter and Arduino Bertoncello. (Read More in the above Headline)
- 262 of the students who were displaced by the closure of ALRA have resumed their training at the Rose Bruford College.
- The Theatre Cafe in London announced that it is launching the Theatre Cafe Diner on Shaftsbury Avenue this summer. A “singing waiting team” will perform show tunes while customers eat.
- The producers of the play “Cock” in London have defended ticket prices of £400 claiming the move is based on “supply and demand”. They later responded to the criticism levelled at them and dropped prices significantly.
- Julian Bird and Nica Burns have launched a new production company called Green Room Entertainments. It will work across all areas of the entertainment industry.
- “Bat Out Of Hell” will return to the Peacock Theatre in London from the 17th of February to the 1st April 2023. The choreography has been adapted by Xena Gusthart. It also announced a residency in Las Vegas from September 2022.
- Daily principle casting was announced for “The Car Man” at the Royal Albert Hall from the 9th until the 19th of June.
- New casting has been announced for “Hamilton” at the Victoria Palace Theatre in the West End from the 21st of June. The choreography is by Andy Blankenbuehler.
- “Six – The Musical” has been nominated for 8 Tony awards.
- The latest additions to “Flackstock”, the festival in honour of Caroline Flack, are Pixie Lott, Ashley Roberts and Janette & Aljaz from Strictly.
- We received our May edition of the “Dancing Times”. The Dancer Of The Month is Calvin Richardson of the Royal Ballet.
- Casting has been announced for the Canadian premiere of the hit West End musical “& Juliet”. It will run from the 22nd of June to the 14th of August in Toronto and will star Lorna Courtney & Paulo Scott. The choreography is by Jennifer Weber.
- Susan Jaffe will become the new Artistic Director of the American Ballet Theatre at the end of 2022.
- The famous Lido Club in Paris has announced that it will be closing.
Future Dance News
- ZooNation are celebrating 20 years at Sadlers Wells from the 5th until the 8th of October.
- Giovanni Pernice is doing “Shall We Dance – An Evening With Giovanni Pernice” at the Clapham Grand in London on the 10th of July.
- Three musical concerts will take place in August at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, in London. The first will be the concert version of “Chess” on the 1st of August, starring Hadley Fraser & Samantha Barks.The Director and Choreographer is Nick Winston and Alexzandria Sarmiento. On the 8th of August it will be “Kinky Boots” starring Cedric Neil & Courtney Bowman. Finally on the 22nd of August there is a new musical called “Treason”, with choreography by Taylor Walker.
- The Edinburgh Festival takes place from the 5th of August until the 28th of August this year. Dance highlights include Scottish Ballet’s “Coppelia”, Akram Khan’s new “Jungle Book Reimagined”, the UK premiere of Kyle Abraham’s “An Untitled Love” plus Aakash Odedra’s “Samsara”.
- The “Secret Garden” musical is to be staged at the London Palladium on the 28th of August. It will be directed by Nick Winston.
- “Resolution”, the biggest annual showcase for new choreography in the UK, returns to The Place in London from the 7th of May until the 10th of June.
- A new musical of “Wuthering Heights” will take place at the Turbine Theatre in London from the 2nd of June until the 4th of June. It has been produced and choreographed by Christopher Tendai.
- Joanna Goodwin will be directing and choreographing “I Wish My Life Were Like A Musical” this year at the Edinburgh Festival with performances from the 3rd to the 28th of August.
- Brit Award winner Becky Hill makes her Ibiza Rocks debut this summer with a 6 weeks residency.
- “Shrek The Musical” will embark on a new UK tour in 2023. It will be directed and choreographed by Nick Winston and will open in Plymouth on the 21st of July 2023.
- “Annie Get Your Gun” will be staged for one night only at the London Palladium on the 1st of June. It will star Amber Davies as Annie.
- Erica Mulhern will perform her show “Suzy Homemaker” at the Lancaster Fringe Festival on the 17th of May at 9.00pm at the Continental in Preston.
- Sir Ian McKellen is to perform alongside ballet dancers in a new show based on “Hamlet” at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- West End Live will take place on the 25th & 26th of June in Trafalgar Square London.
- The Brighton Festival will take place from the 7th of May until the 29th of May. Dance highlights include the Hofesh Shechter Company.
- A new “Strictly Presents” tour was announced. It will feature contestants Maisie Smith & Rhys Stephenson, who will be joined by Strictly pro dancers Neil, Gorka, Jowita & Nancy. The show will tour in June and July.
- The original cast of “Six The Musical” will re-unite for 6 performances at Hampton Court Palace on the 19th & 20th of June. The choreography is by Carrie-Anne Ingrouille.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- The English Youth Ballet announced its 2022 tour. You can visit its website for more details: englishyouthballet.co.uk
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- Louis Tomlinson cancels his upcoming tour dates in Russia and the Ukraine.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- Harry Styles announced a UK & European tour starting in Glasgow in June.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
Auditions & Vacancies
- The Watermill Theatre is looking for a female dancer for “Whistle Down The Wind” for the period of the 18th of June until the 10th of September. The fee is: £459 per week. The deadline for application is the17th of May. The audition will be held in London on the 21st of May. For further information, contact: email@example.com
- Gaz Davis is holding an open audition for male and female dancers on the 16th of May at Dance Attic in London from 10.00am – 12.00pm. The job is on the 7th, 8th and 9th of July.
- Sweetshop Revolution is looking for dancers for several upcoming projects. The auditions are on the 11th and 12th of June in London. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Protein Dance Company is looking for London based dancers for “En Route” in Woolwich from the 8th of August until the 4th of September. The audition is by invitation only and the deadline is the 21st of May. For more information, contact: email@example.com
- Ballet Black is seeking new dancers. The audition will take place on the 28th of May – by invitation only – and the deadline is the 23rd of May. Visit the company website to apply on line.
- Winchester Theatre Arts is looking for a dance teacher. This is a permanent position starting in September. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Osian Meilir is looking for 2/3 dancers for its new contemporary dance work called “Qwerin” in Cardiff. The deadline is the 13th of May.
- Dancers Career Development is looking for a new Chair of the Board of Trustees. The deadline is the 16th of May. Contact Jennifer Curry on: email@example.com
- One Dance UK is seeking an experienced Project Manager. Enquiries and applications should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christina Andrea is looking for dancers for the Rugby League Final at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on the 28th of May. There are 2 rehearsals on the 21st & 22nd of May at a London venue. Dancers will get paid £95 plus pitchside seats. Contact: www.rugby-league.com/dance
- English National Ballet has launched a global search for a new Artistic Director to replace Tamara Rojo CBE. For more information visit: www.odgers.com/85718
- Auditions for this years Thursford Christmas Spectacular are on the 20th & 21st of June. Go to www.thursfordjobs.com for more details.
- Backyard Cinemas are looking for dancers to join it’s Spring/Summer season. For more information email: email@example.com
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nick Winston is doing 6 individual workshops over 2 days on the 9th and 10th of June at the Hub Studios in London for £15. Download the Hub Studios app to book.
- Eddie Slattery is offering his “Shall We Dance – Theatre Dance Intensive” on the 5th of June with 4 top Musical Theatre teachers (Ellen Kane, Joanna Goodwin, Emma Rogers & Fabian Aloise) from 10.00am – 6.00pm at Dance Attic Studios in London.
He also has a “Shall We Dance – Partner Intensive” on the 22nd of May from 9.00am – 6.00pm with 6 top professional dancers.
- Hannah Levitt Collins has a Heels class on the 24th of May at Base Studios from 12.30 – 2.30pm. DM Hannah on Instagram to reserve your place.
- London Studio Centre announced the line up of teachers for its Commercial Dance Summer Intensive. These are: Briony Albert, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer, Randall Watson, Josh Denyer & John Graham. It will take place from the 8th of August until the 12th of August.
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Gaz Davis is offering a 3 day Mentor Programme for pro dancers on the 10th -12th of August in London. Contact Gaz on: email@example.com
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Lukas McFarlane will hold an Intensive dance course from the 6th of September to the 15th of September. For more information contact: www.untitleddance.com
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Danceworks in London have a Summer Intensive with Marianela Nunez & Alejandro Parente from the 8th to the 12th of August.
- The TGS Summer Intensive will take place from the 25th to the 29th of July at the Hemingford Pavilion from 10.00 – 3.00pm daily. Collette Guitart (from “Six” & “& Juliet” ) will be the first guest with Michael Andrew Naylor the second guest. Wednesdays guests are Travis Kerry & Nick Kerry from “Hamilton” and on Thursday the guest will be Nikki Trow. On Friday it is Jordi Guitart. To book: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lowri Jackson has a new weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: email@example.com
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Sophie Haws is offering a Commercial class on Sundays from 6.00 – 7.00pm for £8 at the JD Studio in Southampton.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Fridays from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- We spotted Bethany Kingsley-Garner on the BBC Young Dancer coaching the ballerina Olivia.
- We spotted Elaine Grech in a music video for the artist Aidan.
- We spotted Kiya-Bobbi Johnson advertising the Glitterbox Club in Ibiza.
- We spotted Oluwatosin on tour with Anne-Marie’s Dysfunctional tour. The choreography was by Kloe Dean.
- We spotted Bethany Entwistle performing at Revolucion de Cuba in Leeds.
- We spotted the following dancers working on the new Netflix series “Dance 100” – Crystal Hantig, Nicole Hastings, Jessica Scammell, Myles Newland, Lauren Knight, Alyce Justyne, Becky Wong, Emily Haygarth & Casey Hyams. The choreographer was Liam Lunniss.
- We spotted Jack Dargan, Rose Wild, Jorgie Vaughan, Austyn Farrell, Charmaine Lomi & Stevie Mahoney opening ITV’S “The Games”. The Choreographer was Nathan Clarke.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.