Strictly star Aljaz Skorjanec lands role to play a character in the Netflix remake of “Matilda”.
The Strictly Star has landed a role alongside Hollywood stars Emma Thompson and Andrea Riseborough in a new Netflix adaptation of the Roald Dahl children’s classic Matilda.
Did You Know? 8 of the Strictly Pro Dancers Now Wear Leggings From Dincwear Dancewear!
The UK Government has underwritten an insurance scheme for live events but the theatre owners say that it will not help them.
Here is a brief summary of this weeks news for Pro dancers from the team at Dincwear Dancewear.
General News & Sighting
- A Government-backed insurance scheme to help offset the risk for live events during the pandemic has been revealed. It will begin in September and run for a year. If shows are cancelled the financial losses will be refunded.
- Cameron Mackintosh and other theatre owners have stated that while the new Government-backed insurance scheme is welcome, it is very expensive and has overlooked the specific needs of commercial theatre. Theatre shows are not “one-off” live events like a pop concert and the new scheme excludes some of the protections that the theatres require – like the cancellation of performances caused by illness or enforced isolation, plus the negative effect of possibly having to return to limited capacities.
- “Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat” was forced to cancel performances until the 17th of August as a member of the team tested positive for covid. This also happened to two other West End productions.
- “Mary Poppins” starring Zizi Strallen re-opened at the Prince Edward Theatre in London.
- Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland, has confirmed that theatres in Scotland can open without social distancing from August the 9th.
- “What’s New Pussycat”, the new musical featuring the hits of Tom Jones, announced its full cast led by Dominic Anderson & Bronte Barbe. It is choreographed by Dame Arlene Phillips, with Dale White as Associate Choreographer.
- The cast of “Message In A Bottle” started rehearsals for its UK & European tour. It is directed and choreographed by Kate Prince.
- The Arts Council, England, announced that organisations that have received grants from the Cultural Recovery Fund will be able to apply this month for further emergency support.
- “Variety” has reported that people going to restaurants, gyms, and theatres in New York will have to be fully vaccinated from the 13th of September. All 41 Broadway Theatres will also require vaccinations for all performers, backstage crew and theatre staff. Masks will be required for audience members inside the theatre.
Future Dance News
- According to a statement from the UK Government, 19 European member states have now confirmed that UK performers will not need work permits or visas for short-term work tours. This claim has been disputed in the British press.
- “Burn The Floor” is back in rehearsals on the Norwegian cruise ship “Epic”.
- Royal Caribbean is to bring back its entire cruise fleet by 2022.
- Abby Lee Miller, the famous dance teacher on US television, will be touring 3 locations in England plus “Perform” in Ireland this Autumn.
Appointments and Auditions
- Applications are open for the National Youth Dance Company, Scotland. This is for exceptional dancers aged 16 – 21. The application deadline is the 26th of September. Auditions will be held in Glasgow on the 2nd of October.
- Living The Dream are looking for Pro dancers to perform at Expo 2020 Dubai. The London audition is on Saturday the 14th of August. Apply to: email@example.com
- The English National Ballet has welcomed Maria Kochetkova to the company as Lead Principle and Ashley Coupal & Shunhei Fuchiyama as Artists of the company.
- Christian Spuck will join Staatsballett Berlin as Artistic Director beginning in the 2023 – 4 season.
- Perform Like A Pro have an end of Summer Intensive Dance Course at Base Studios on the 26 /27 of August from 10.00 – 3.00 pm (4 classes per day). Teachers include Nadine Kennedy Wood & Jo Goodwin. For further details email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Keith & Judy Clifton have a Ballroom & Latin dance class on Wednesday the 11th of August at the Cleethorpes Memorial Hall from 19.30 – 21.30 pm. Contact: @cliftonsdanceacademy86
- Rachel Baker is holding an advanced dance class on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00 pm at the Pearl Shaw Performing Arts Studio for £8.50.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15 pm.
- Stacey Monahan is teaching a “Carousel” dance class at the Hub Studios in London on Saturday the 4th of September from 4.30 – 6.00 pm for £9.
- Nafisah Baba offers a dance class at Dreamworks, London, every Wednesday from 5.30 – 7.00 pm.
- Scarlette Ellyse is offering a Commercial dance class at Space Six, Newcastle, on Wednesdays from 6.00 – 7.00 pm for £7.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Li Li Hodge is doing an intermediate/advanced heels class on Monday evenings at 8.45 pm. Further information is in Li Li’s Instagram Bio.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 2.15 – 3.15 pm & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45 pm. There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.30 pm.
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.00 – 5.30 pm.
Film And Video
- The new trailer has been revealed for “Cinderella” the movie musical starring Camila Cabello. It has been choreographed by Ashley Wallen & Jen Griffin and we spotted Ross Sands & Kieran D-W in the clip! The film will be released on Amazon Prime on the 3rd of September.
- We spotted Lily Wang & Joy Duckrell in Kamille’s new video for “Sad Party”.
- We spotted Amy Everett in EE’s Summer Hotspot campaign.
- We spotted Nicole Love in the latest advert for Landrover’s “Defender”.
Many people are not convinced that the UK Government schemes to underwrite insurance for live events – and visa-free travel for performers to 19 European Union countries – will actually solve the underlying problems.
As always the team at Dincwear Dancewear will keep our eyes on the news and report back in our next weekly edition.
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.