All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Anything Goes to be broadcast on BBC this Christmas.
The Barbican production of Anything Goes will be shown on BBC this Christmas. Cole Porter’s classic musical is set on the SS Americana and follows two pairings that try to find love on the high seas. It features numbers such as “I Get A Kick Out of You”, “You’re the Top”, “It’s De-Lovely!” and, of course, “Anything Goes”.
Playing on BBC Two on Boxing Day at 6.40 pm, the film stars Sutton Foster as Reno Sweeney, alongside Robert Lindsay as Moonface Martin, Felicity Kendal as Evangeline Harcourt, and Gary Wilmot as Elisha Whitney, the piece was filmed during its acclaimed run at the Barbican Theatre this past summer, which broke box office records. It will subsequently be available on BBC iPlayer.
For this 2021 production Kathleen Marshall, who directed and choreographed the 2011 Broadway revival, helmed a creative team that also includes set designer Derek McLane, costume designer Jon Morrell, music director and supervisor Stephen Ridley, lighting designer Hugh Vanstone, sound designer Jonathan Deans, orchestrator Michael Gibson (with additions by Bill Elliott) and wig designer Campbell Young.
Dance arrangements were by David Chase, vocal arrangements by Rob Fisher, associate direction by Ian Waller, associate choreography by Carol Lee Meadows, associate set design by Ben Davies, associate costume design by Jan Bench, casting by Serena Hill, associate musical direction by Mark Aspinall, associate production management by Tom McEvilly and props supervision by Mary Halliday and Lisa Buckley.
The production will return for a new tour and Barbican run in 2022.
Which celebrity was voted off Strictly on Sunday night?
Strictly Come Dancing 2021: quarter-final results
As we reach week 11, John and Johannes, AJ and Kai, Dan and Nadiya, Rose and Giovanni, and Rhys and Nancy pulled out all the stops to make it to the semi-final. But who danced for the final time?
Dan and Nadiya say lovely things about the show and the other contestants and each other, including an obligatory FRIENDS FOR LIFE from Dan and some tears from Nadiya. They take to the floor for their final dance, to ‘I Can’t Help Myself by The Four Tops.
All the judges vote to save AJ and Kai, although they make a valiant effort to pretend it was a difficult decision.
Dan says he would have saved AJ and Kai too, which we all kind of love him for!
The Pro dance on Saturday was choreographed by Jason Gilkinson and on Sunday by Beth Honan. Leandro Palou and Maria Tsiatsiani of the London Tango Academy assisted Nancy & Rhys with their choreography and Jenny Thomas and Sean Moon choreographed Kai & AJ’s salsa.
Discounted theatre tickets on offer to support West End recovery.
Tickets to some of London’s biggest theatre shows will be on offer at a discounted price in the new year as part of an effort to attract visitors back to the West End.
Tickets for nearly 60 theatre productions in January and February will be available for between £10 and £50 and are on general sale as of December 7.
The promotion comes as the New West End Company, which represents businesses and brands in the area, warned this week that footfall was not increasing as much as had been hoped and was still 30 percent lower than pre-pandemic levels.
West End Production of MOULIN ROUGE Cancels Performances Due to Covid-19 Outbreaks.
The West End production of Moulin Rouge has sadly had to cancel a few performances due to members of the company testing positive for Covid-19, despite the several precautions in place.
The production made an initial announcement canceling 12/3 and 12/4 performances via social media.
Venues including National Theatre, RSC, and the Old Vic introduce mandatory face coverings.
New rules for select theatres
While masks are not currently mandatory (though actively encouraged) in UK theatres, many venues have issued their own rules and guidelines for audience members. Yesterday stronger face-covering rules were introduced in shops and public transport.
Thus far the ENO, the RSC, the National Theatre, Curve in Leicester, the Old Vic, and the Royal Opera House have all said that masks will be mandatory whenever spectators are attending shows.
RSC executive director Catherine Mallyon said: “We have taken this decision in light of feedback from audiences, staff and our acting company, and in response to new government guidelines introduced. Our priority is creating the safest and most comfortable environment for people to work in and visit, and we want to do all we can to ensure that we do not have to cancel performances and disappoint our audiences.
The National said in a statement: “We’ve taken this decision in light of recent Government advice about Covid. We believe it’s a sensible additional measure that will help to keep everyone safe at this time – audiences, artists and staff.
“The requirement to wear face coverings will be in place until at least 19 December 2021 when the next Government review of Covid measures is due.”
General News & Sighting
- Ireland reduces theatre capacity back down to 50% on covid worries.
- London’s Finborough Theatre is going to scrap rental fees for visiting productions in favour of a capped box office split.
- “Claus The Musical” will premiere next Christmas at the Lowry in Salford. The full casting and creative team will be announced shortly.
- “Bugsy Malone” will tour the UK next year. It will be choreographed by Drew McOnie and open at the Theatre Royal, Bath, on the 2nd of July 2022.
- Final casting has been announced for “Broken Wings” which will open at the Charing Cross Theatre on the 21st of January 2022. The choreography is by Philip Michael Thomas.
- On Thursday the 2nd of December, the “Prince Of Egypt” put on a concert – style performance rather than the usual production due to the “indisposition” of so many cast members.
- “Jesus Christ Superstar” has opened in Toronto, Canada.
Future Dance News
- Strictly announced the couples who will be appearing on the Strictly Live Tour next year. It will be Giovanni & Rose, Aljaz & Sara, Katya & Max George, Kai & AJ, Nikita & Tilly, Nancy & Rhys and Johannes & John. In addition, the following Pro dancers will also be on the tour: Amy, Neil, Cameron, Luba & Jowita.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- “Dirty Dancing” will return to the Dominion Theatre from the 2nd of February 2022. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- Lucie Jones is to join the West End production of “Wicked” from the 1st of February 2022.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- A new production of “Grease” will come to London’s Dominion Theatre in 2022. The choreography is by Dame Arlene Phillips.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
- “Mamma Mia” revealed the casting for it’s 2022 UK tour. It will start on the 18th of January 2022 at Plymouth. The production has been choreographed by Anthony Van Laast.
Auditions & Appointments
- “Wicked – The Movie” is looking for a wheelchair bound person to play Nessarose. Anybody interested should email: email@example.com
- The Ballet Company Of The Slovak National Theatre is looking for dancers with excellent technique in classical and modern ballet. See the company website for details. Audition is by invite only on the 6th of February. The deadline for applications is the 16th of January 2022.
- The CCN – Ballet de Lorraine is looking for dancers to join the company in August 2022. See the company website for details. Auditions are on the 5th & 6th of February in Paris – by invitation only. The deadline for applications is the 15th of January 2022.
- ACE Dance & Music is looking for a General Manager. Applications close on the 9th of December.
- Auditions for the revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” are scheduled for the 11th – 14th of January 2022 in London, with recalls towards the end of January.
- Laine Theatre Arts is looking to appoint an Access And Participation Co-ordinator to drive the “Lanes To Laines” initiative – bridging the space between vocational training in dance & musical theatre and under-represented communities.
- Julie Bowers of BBO Dance has launced the GradPro programme to give graduates the opportunity to perform, with the possibility of being seen by leading dance directors. The closing date for applications is the 28th of January 2022.
- Leicester Dance Theatre is looking for a new Chair Of The Board. The company oversees the Aakash Odedra Company and Shiamak UK.
- Balbir Singh Dance Company is seeking an Apprentice Dancer as part of it’s Talent Development. Find out more from: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pearson Casting are casting for the “Six – The Musical” tour of the UK, which commences in March 2022. Email: email@example.com for more details.
- Birmingham Ceremonies is looking for pro dancers for both the opening and the closing ceremonies of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games next year.
- West End show “Hamilton” is advertising for dancers. Auditions will be held in London – beginning in October and finishing in January 2022. Rehearsals will start on the 4th of April 2022. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Elliot has been appointed as the new Chair of the Imperial Society Of Teachers Of Dancing.
- Hannah Levitt Collins is giving a Heels class at the Base Studios, London, on the 14th of December from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £10. There is a link in Hannah’s Instagram Bio to book.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am – starting from the 4th of January.
- Burn Nation have an online dance class with Lauren May Oakley on the 14th and 21st of December at 7.00pm (UK time). You can book on: www.burn-nation.com
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Erica Mulkern is teaching an Improvers / Intermediate Ballet Class at The Dance Studio, Leeds, on Sunday the 12th of December from 3.00 – 4.20pm (for £9) & 4.30 – 5.00pm Pointe (for £3).
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is doing a 1 day Pro masterclass on the 29th of January 2022 at the Urdang Academy. This includes a ticket to the evening performance at Sadlers Wells that night.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Lauren Gore has her “Tappercise Class” every other Monday at the Holy Trinity Church, London NR21, from 7.30 – 8.15pm for £6 per class. Contact Lauren for further details.
- Adam Garcia is doing a couple of Tap classes with LaVolta events: the 5th of December (Hull), & the 12th of December (Doncaster).
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.25pm (Astaire Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- The Barbican production of “Anything Goes” will be shown on the BBC on Boxing Day at 6.40pm. The choreography is by Kathleen Marshall and Carol Lee.
- “Half A Sixpence” is to be broadcast on the Freeview Channel on the 29th of December at 6.30pm. This is the recording of the 2016 West End show.
- We spotted the following Pro dancers in the latest music video for Elton John and Ed Sheeran: Josie Pocock, Fiona McDonald, Sydney Pettitt, Nicole Valverde, Nicole Alphonce, Charlotte Wilmott, Alejandra Deane, Majella Fitzgerald, Luke Field Wright & Darron Gifty. It was directed by Adrian Gas.
- We spotted Petra Hajduk in the Toyota advert for the new Aygo.
- We spotted Anjula Kelly dancing with Carrie Underwood at her Las Vegas residency.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
VIEW DINCWEAR’S DANCE & ACTIVE WEAR COLLECTION
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.