All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
A new feature film from BalletBoyz.
The internationally acclaimed dance company BalletBoyz has announced its return to both screen and stage. In March the company will return to live performance with Deluxe, a double bill fusing dance with original music and film content. Ahead of that, this Christmas, they are set to present their third feature film, Rumpelstilzchen. A Sky Original, the fable is brought to life with an all-star cast including Jane Horrocks. Rumpelstilzchen will be released from 21 December in Curzon Cinemas and on Sky Arts and Freeview on 23 December. Deluxe will embark on a nationwide UK tour from March to May.
Which celebrity was voted off Strictly on Sunday night?
Strictly’s Tilly misses out on quarter-final place as Rhys is saved.
Tilly Ramsay has left Strictly Come Dancing after a tense dance-off.
The influencer – who is the daughter of Gordon Ramsay – and her professional partner Nikita Kuzmin exited the BBC One show on Sunday night after competing in the dance-off alongside Rhys Stephenson and Nancy Xu.
She performed her Samba to Levitating by Dua Lipa whilst Rhys danced the Waltz to You Light Up My Life by Whitney Houston, but all four judges – Craig Revel Horwood, Cynthia Erivo, Shirley Ballas, and Anton du Beke – opted to save Rhys and Nancy.
Tilly thanked everyone at the show for the “most extraordinary time” as she recalled her “positive journey”.
After the Dance-Off, Strictly Come Dancing pro Nikita Kuzmin has explained how he ended up shirtless in his final dance with Tilly Ramsay. Nikita caused a commotion on the BBC dance show when he removed his shirt and danced topless with Tilly at the end of their stomping samba to Levitating by Dua Lipa in Sunday night’s results show. He has since joked that his celeb dance partner was the one to make the first move by unbuttoning his top. “The first step was Tilly’s, she was the one who unbuttoned my button!” he joked on the spin-off show It Takes Two. He added: “No, honestly, we felt the energy and we also saw Rhys and Nancy’s dance and they were amazing, so I thought I had to bring something to fight fight fight!”
When asked about how she felt after being eliminated from the show, Tilly said, “You know what, I’m so sad that’s its over but I’m also celebrating what we’ve done in the past ten weeks.
The Pro dance on Sunday night was choreographed by Nikki Trow. Maria Tsiatsiani and Leandro Palou assisted on the Argentine Tango choreography for Johannes & John.
The Full Strictly Christmas Special line-up unveiled.
The BBC confirmed all six of the celebrities who will take part in this year’s Strictly Christmas special. Each of the six couples will perform a Christmas-inspired routine.
- Broadcaster and journalist Adrian Chiles will be partnered with professional dancer Jowita Przystal.
- Singer Anne-Marie is paired with Graziano Di Prima for the festive special.
- Newsreader Moira Stuart, whose dance partner will be Aljaz Skorjanec.
- Broadcaster, comedian, and writer Mel Giedroyc will be partnered by Neil Jones.
- Repair shop presenter and furniture restorer Jay Blades will dance with Luba Mushtuk.
- French maitre’d Fred Sirieix will hit the dancefloor dance with Dianne Buswell.
Motsi Mabuse misses Strictly after Covid contact.
Mabuse’s German Covid vaccinations are not accepted for travel to the UK
Strictly Come Dancing judge Motsi Mabuse will miss Saturday’s show after coming into close contact with a person who tested positive for Covid-19. In an Instagram post, Mabuse explained she was fully vaccinated, which would normally mean exemption from isolation.
However, Mabuse is currently in Germany and not able to travel back due to UK government guidelines, which do not recognise the vaccines she received.
Singer and actress Cynthia Erivo will take her place on the panel. It will be Erivo’s second week as a judge after she stood in for Craig Revel Horwood last weekend. Horwood had tested positive for Covid-19 but returned to the panel this weekend.
Stephen Sondheim: London’s West End dim lights for theatre icon.
London’s West End theatres dimmed their lights to pay tribute to composer and lyricist Stephen Sondheim, who died aged 91 on Friday. Members of the public gathered outside The Sondheim Theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue on Monday evening to have a minute’s applause as the lights were lowered in London’s theatrical heart.
Sir Cameron Mackintosh said the world had “lost one of its greatest and most original writers”.
General News & Sighting
- Many theatres have joined the Royal Opera House in making face coverings mandatory for all guests. These include the RSC, National Theatre and the ENO.
- Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber has accused younger cast members of his musical “Cinderella” of failing to remember that they work in the service industry. He stated that “nobody has a right to be on the stage”.
- The musical version of “But I’m A Cheerleader” will have its premiere at the Turbine Theatre in London on the 18th of February 2022. It is choreographed by Alexzandra Sarmiento.
- Two years after the “Footloose” tour was announced, the cast have begun rehearsals.
- There is a new Welsh version of “The Nutcracker”, featuring the music of Duke Ellington, opening at the Riverfront Theatre in Newport on the 10th of December. This will be performed by the Rubicon Dance Company and choreographed by Jamiel Laurence.
- The 64th annual Grammy Awards ceremony will be held on the 31st of January 2022.
- The “Dancing Times” for December was published this week. The Dancer Of The Month is Eilis Small of the Birmingham Royal Ballet.
- Mirella Bartrip, a dance teacher at Trinity Laban, has died aged 72.
Future Dance News
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- “Dirty Dancing” will return to the Dominion Theatre from the 2nd of February 2022. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- Lucie Jones is to join the West End production of “Wicked” from the 1st of February 2022.
- “Anything Goes” will return to the Barbican Theatre from the 5th of July until the 3rd of September 2022. The choreography is by Kathleen Marshall and Carol Lee Meadows.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- A new production of “Grease” will come to London’s Dominion Theatre in 2022. The choreography is by Dame Arlene Phillips.
- The “Broken Wings” musical announced the initial cast for it’s London run at The Charing Cross Theatre from the 21st of January until the 5th of March 2022. The choreography is by Philip Michael Thomas.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
- “Mamma Mia” revealed the casting for it’s 2022 UK tour. It will start on the 18th of January 2022 at Plymouth. The production has been choreographed by Anthony Van Laast.
Auditions & Appointments
- Auditions for the revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” are scheduled for the 11th – 14th of January 2022 in London, with recalls towards the end of January.
- Laine Theatre Arts is looking to appoint an Access And Participation Co-ordinator to drive the “Lanes To Laines” initiative – bridging the space between vocational training in dance & musical theatre and under-represented communities.
- Julie Bowers of BBO Dance has launced the GradPro programme to give graduates the opportunity to perform, with the possibility of being seen by leading dance directors. The closing date for applications is the 28th of January 2022.
- Leicester Dance Theatre is looking for a new Chair Of The Board. The company oversees the Aakash Odedra Company and Shiamak UK.
- The National Dance Company Wales is looking for a Rehearsal Director (salary £32,591). The closing date for applications is the 1st of December. Visit the company website for further details.
- Birmingham Royal Ballet is advertising auditions for Soloist and Principle dancers – by invitation only. The deadline is the 4th of December and the audition is on the 18th of December. Apply with CV, photos and video links to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Balbir Singh Dance Company is seeking an Apprentice Dancer as part of it’s Talent Development. Find out more from: email@example.com
- Pearson Casting are casting for the “Six – The Musical” tour of the UK, which commences in March 2022. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Birmingham Ceremonies is looking for pro dancers for both the opening and the closing ceremonies of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games next year.
- West End show “Hamilton” is advertising for dancers. Auditions will be held in London – beginning in October and finishing in January 2022. Rehearsals will start on the 4th of April 2022. For more information contact: email@example.com
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Irene Salvi is giving a Heels workshop on the 6th of December from 7.00 – 8.30pm for £10 at Studio 25 in Manchester. Email to book: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erica Mulkern is teaching an Improvers / Intermediate Ballet Class at The Dance Studio, Leeds, on Sunday the 12th of December from 3.00 – 4.20pm (for £9) & 4.30 – 5.00pm Pointe (for £3).
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Glenn Graham is giving a Dance Winter Intensive on the 4th & 5th of December at Jacksons Lane Arts Centre in London for £65. The class is aimed at Graduates and dancers in full-time training.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is doing a 1 day Pro masterclass on the 29th of January 2022 at the Urdang Academy. This includes a ticket to the evening performance at Sadlers Wells that night.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop /Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Erica Mulkern has a “Suzy Homemaker” dance workshop on the 7th of December from 11.00 – 1.15pm at the Drama Studio in Sheffield.
- Lauren Gore has her “Tappercise Class” every other Monday at the Holy Trinity Church, London NR21, from 7.30 – 8.15pm for £6 per class. Contact Lauren for further details.
- Adam Garcia is doing a couple of Tap classes with LaVolta events: the 5th of December (Hull), & the 12th of December (Doncaster).
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.25pm (Astaire Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- BBC Arts will present some of the best UK and International dance across all genres in 2022, starting with a season of programmes in January which includes the return of “Young Dancer Of The Year”.
- Scottish Ballet’s “Starstruck”, based on Gene Kelly’s “Pas de Dieux”, is available on Marquee TV until the 5th of December.
- A new documentary, “The Life Of Alvin Ailey”, will be released in UK & Irish cinemas on the 7th of January 2022.
- Ashley Wallen choreographed FKA Twigs latest music video for “Measure Of A Man”.
- A large number of pro dancers were spotted watching Austyn Farrell & the pro dancers at the Steps concert at the 02.
- We spotted Charlotte Bazeley in the latest advert for Playstation.
- We spotted Daisy Crew in the recent advert for Tetley’s tea.
- We spotted the following dancers performing with Kylie Minogue at the British Fashion Awards: Emma Stansall, Kane Horn, Mollie Stebbing & Jorgee. The choreography was by Ashley Wallen & Jen Griffin. The contract was with the Kutes Agency.
- We spotted Kyra Walters, Maya King, Aliyah Baker, Lulu Pansa & Shirlana Barteh in the latest BooHoo advert. The choreography was by Olivia Beckford.
- We spotted Bex Leung in the Christmas advert for the Royal Mint.
- We spotted Harry Smallman & Ella Carolan performing on the red carpet at the British Fashion Awards.
- We spotted Lisa Spencer, Lianne Lee May, Charlotte Kate Anderson, Chanelle George, Erica Stubbs & Belen Le Roux on the new Gary Barlow tour. The contract was with the Kutes Dance Agency.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.