Christmas returns to the Lyric Theatre with series of seasonal shows
The Lyric Theatre has once again opened its doors this Christmas, with a line-up of seasonal shows set to appeal to those of all ages.
Following the reopening of theatres in autumn, the cast and crew at the Lyric have been gearing up for the Christmas season and getting ready to bring joy to the stage. The creative team behind the Lyric’s hit shows Alice the Musical and Peter Pan the Musical return with a brand new version of Pinocchio The Greatest Wonder of the Age, by Paul Boyd.
This musical re-imagining of Carlo Collodi’s classic tells the tale of a real live wooden boy on an incredible journey to find his true family. Featuring a circus company of sensational musicians and unforgettable characters, including the amazing conjuror Mr. Fox, the world-famous acrobat Lady Cat, and prima donna opera star the Red Lobster.
All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Craig Revel Horwood enters the race for Christmas number one with a new single.
Hold on to your glitter balls because Craig Revel Horwood is releasing a Christmas single.
The Strictly Come Dancing judge has insisted chart heavyweights like Ed Sheeran and Sir Elton John ‘have no chance’ at festive success against his own track, It’s Christmas, Merry Christmas!, but he doesn’t care if people don’t like it.
He told The Mirror: ‘Ed Sheeran and Elton John have no chance next to my single. It’s going to be number one.
‘It’s something people can dance to, and we all want a bit of cheering up this Christmas.
‘I think it will be judged as out of character for Craig Revel Horwood from the TV. But I’m a trained singer and performer, which people forget. If they don’t like it, they can lump it.’
Alongside his 19 series on Strictly and directorial credits, Craig started his career as a performer in musical theatre and has appeared in many West End musicals, including Miss Saigon, Annie, and Crazy For You, and has also become a popular pantomime dame.
Living up to his ‘Mr. Nasty’ TV persona, the 56-year-old star also branded Sir Cliff Richard’s festive classic Mistletoe and Wine a ‘dirge’ compared to his ‘cheery’ tune, which is an upbeat jive that will ‘get everyone dancing’.
He added: ‘It’s fantastic and timeless. It’s cheery 50s fun, like The Jersey Boys. I could make history with this… I could be like Lady Gaga, performing to sell-out arenas!’
Both fellow Strictly judge Anton Du Beke and Craig’s fiancé Jonathan Myring approve of the track, reportedly labeling it ‘catchy’.
Strictly tour singer and Craig’s best friend Rietta Austin, who is also an actor, comedian, and choreographer, appears on the track, which was co-written by the pair and Nik Page.
Which celebrity was voted off Strictly on Sunday night?
Strictly Come Dancing 2021: semi-final results
Rhys Stephenson has missed out on a place in this year’s Strictly Come Dancing final after he was sent home during Sunday night’s results show.
The CBBC presenter became the eleventh contestant to be eliminated from the BBC dance show after he faced Bake Off star John Whaite in Sunday’s dreaded dance-off.
After performing two routines each in Saturday’s semi-final, Rhys and his partner Nancy Xu performed their Samba to It Had Better Be Tonight (Meglio Stasera) by Michael Bublé.
Meanwhile, John and his partner Johannes Radebe performed their Jive to Higher Power by Coldplay, in a bid to impress the judges and secure their place in the final.
After both couples had danced, all four judges unanimously chose to save John and Johannes.
When asked by host Tess Daly about their time on the show, Rhys said: “I might not have gotten to the final but I learned so much from just being on this show, from everyone here who’s just supported us in this new family.
“To have the time to spend with this champion of a dancer [Nancy] who’s put so much into me. Thank you for just letting my energy shine. Thank you for being that partner.
Judge Craig Revel Horwood described Sunday’s dance-off as “one of the most amazing I’ve ever witnessed”.
Lucas McFarlane helped choreograph Johannes & John’s routine for the couple’s choice. The Pro dance on Sunday was choreographed by Lizzie Gough & Tommy Franzen.
Noel Gallagher approached about Oasis musical.
Noel Gallagher has revealed that he has been approached about a musical on his life and Oasis. “The idea of a musical has been floated to me on more than one occasion”
Speaking to comedian Matt Morgan on YouTube, Gallagher said that a musical solely about him had been suggested in the past.“The idea of a musical has been floated to me on more than one occasion,” he said. “Somebody had an idea of like a Noel Gallagher one called “Everybody Is On The Run”, and then there was an idea for another Oasis one.”
Speaking to The Media in 2019, Noel revealed: “The musical! People have been on to me about that for the last 10 years. And funnily enough, “Live Forever” is always the title.
“I spoke to an English guy who works on Broadway who knows about these things and he was like saying, ‘Your journey from rags to riches’,” he continued. “And I was like, ‘Do you have to make it so Dickensian? I never wore any rags’. People do love that shit, I know. It’s inevitable it will happen one day. I will go and see it once.”
Liam, however, had his own idea of how the show would go.
“Oasis The Musical,” he began on Twitter. “Five lads from Manchester start a band and take on the world. The little one who writes the songs turns into a massive c**t, sacks everyone except his little brother as he ain’t got the a**e. Splits up the band, there’s a storyline for ya – THE END LG x”
Musicals, plays, and pantos cancel shows after Covid-19 outbreaks.
West End hits The Lion King and The Life of Pi are among a number of shows that have been forced to cancel performances due to Covid-19 outbreaks.
The Lion King called off shows on Tuesday and Wednesday due “to Covid-enforced absences” among cast and crew.
Life of Pi at Wyndham’s Theatre pulled five shows from 9 to 13 December.
The Royal Shakespeare Company’s Comedy of Errors at the Barbican in London has also canceled all performances until 22 December due to Covid cases. The company said scrapping performances “was the last resort”.
The National Theatre had to scratch Monday’s preview of its Christmas show Hex after one of its lead actors caught Covid.
The play, based on Sleeping Beauty, has now postponed its press night from Wednesday to 21 December.
In a letter to critics, artistic director Rufus Norris wrote: “You will no doubt be aware of the impact that Covid has been having on productions across the industry (none of ours over the last year have escaped entirely) but the impact on Hex has been considerable, with several members of the company including one of our leads being taken ill during the technical and preview period, and fresh bad news on that front again today.”
General News & Sighting
- The Prime Minister confirmed that masks will have to be worn in theatres and cinemas from this week.
- Nearly 60 shows in London are offering reduced ticket prices in January and February 2022 as part of a New Year sale which aims to bring people back to the theatre.
- Ashley Wallen won the award for Best Choreography In A Motion Picture at the World Choreography Awards for his work in “Jingle Jangle”.
- The West End production of “Cabaret” has extended it’s run until at least the 1st of October 2022. New casting from the 21st of March 2022 will be announced shortly. Choreography is by Julia Cheng.
- “Moulin Rouge” extended its cancellation of shows from the 8th until the 11th of December due to covid related issues.
- “The Rhythmics” had to cancel all of its remaining performances due to a number of covid cases within the company.
- “Hex” & “Come From Away” have cancelled performances due to covid.
- Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber is seeking planning permission to open a new venue containing 2 small scale performance spaces, which will become a hub for presenting and rehearsing new work.
- The nominees were announced for the 22nd annual What’s On Stage Awards.
- “Diana The Musical” will close after 33 performances on Broadway.
- Galina Samsova, former Artistic Director of the Scottish Ballet, died aged 94.
Future Dance News
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- Strictly announced the couples who will be appearing on the Strictly Live Tour next year. It will be Giovanni & Rose, Aljaz & Sara, Katya & Max George, Kai & AJ, Nikita & Tilly, Nancy & Rhys and Johannes & John. In addition, the following Pro dancers will also be on the tour: Amy, Neil, Cameron, Luba & Jowita.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- “Dirty Dancing” will return to the Dominion Theatre from the 2nd of February 2022. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- Lucie Jones is to join the West End production of “Wicked” from the 1st of February 2022.
- “Anything Goes” will return to the Barbican Theatre from the 5th of July until the 3rd of September 2022. The choreography is by Kathleen Marshall and Carol Lee Meadows.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- A new production of “Grease” will come to London’s Dominion Theatre in 2022. The choreography is by Dame Arlene Phillips.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
- “Mamma Mia” revealed the casting for it’s 2022 UK tour. It will start on the 18th of January 2022 at Plymouth. The production has been choreographed by Anthony Van Laast.
Auditions & Appointments
- Northern Ballet is looking for a male dancer to join the company on its Spring 2022 tour. The deadline for applications is the 29th of December.
- Boy Blue is looking for a new Chair of the Board. Details are on its website. The deadline for applications is the 10th of January.
- Stage Fever Productions is looking for female dancers for 2 new 1970’s themed touring shows. Auditions are on the 14th of January at the Centre Point Dance Studio in Manchester.
- “Wicked – The Movie” is looking for a wheelchair bound person to play Nessarose. Anybody interested should email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Ballet Company Of The Slovak National Theatre is looking for dancers with excellent technique in classical and modern ballet. See the company website for details. Audition is by invite only on the 6th of February. The deadline for applications is the 16th of January 2022.
- The CCN – Ballet de Lorraine is looking for dancers to join the company in August 2022. See the company website for details. Auditions are on the 5th & 6th of February in Paris – by invitation only. The deadline for applications is the 15th of January 2022.
- Auditions for the revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” are scheduled for the 11th – 14th of January 2022 in London, with recalls towards the end of January.
- Laine Theatre Arts is looking to appoint an Access And Participation Co-ordinator to drive the “Lanes To Laines” initiative – bridging the space between vocational training in dance & musical theatre and under-represented communities.
- Julie Bowers of BBO Dance has launced the GradPro programme to give graduates the opportunity to perform, with the possibility of being seen by leading dance directors. The closing date for applications is the 28th of January 2022.
- Leicester Dance Theatre is looking for a new Chair Of The Board. The company oversees the Aakash Odedra Company and Shiamak UK.
- Birmingham Ceremonies is looking for pro dancers for both the opening and the closing ceremonies of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games next year.
- West End show “Hamilton” is advertising for dancers. Auditions will be held in London – beginning in October and finishing in January 2022. Rehearsals will start on the 4th of April 2022. For more information contact: email@example.com
- Kerry Nicholls will join the English National Ballet as its Associate Director, Artistic Development.
- Jordi Guitart is teaching a class at “Move It” on the 12th of March at 2.15pm in the Fosse Studio.
- Kimberley Taylor is teaching at Husky’s Dance Studio on Thursday from 6.00 – 7.30pm for £12. To sign up, click on the link in Kimberley’s Instagram bio.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am – starting from the 4th of January.
- Burn Nation have an online dance class with Lauren May Oakley on the 21st of December at 7.00pm (UK time). You can book on: www.burn-nation.com
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is doing a 1 day Pro masterclass on the 29th of January 2022 at the Urdang Academy. This includes a ticket to the evening performance at Sadlers Wells that night.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Lauren Gore has her “Tappercise Class” every other Monday at the Holy Trinity Church, London NR21, from 7.30 – 8.15pm for £6 per class. Contact Lauren for further details.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.25pm (Astaire Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- Sky Arts TV will show “Les Miserables” on Christmas Eve at 7.30pm, “The Phantom Of The Opera” on the 27th of December at 4.15pm and “Miss Saigon” on the 27th of December at 10.00pm.
- Tom Holland will play Fred Astaire in a new biopic created by Sony.
- Dawn French and Dame Darcey Bussell reunite for an online fundraiser for the Royal Academy of Dance in “Sparkling Conversations”. This will be released on the 13th of December to watch until the 28th of January.
- We spotted Katie Priest & Michael Danilczuk opening the ITV show “Strictly The Full Monty”. We also spotted Megan Reeves.
- There were many pro dancers performing at Capital Radio’s annual “Jingle Bell Ball”. We spotted Laura Gilchrist, Georgia Long & Yolanda Offodile performing with Jax Jones. Plus Hannah Levitt Collins & Vicki Leung were dancing with Griff, Alexandre Novelli, Lili Hodge, Nicole Hastings & Millie Lund with Jesy Nelson (the contract was with AMCK) and Renae Hughes, Randall Watson & Zhane Samuels were dancing with Anne Marie. (The contract for the latter was with the Kutes Dance Agency).
- We spotted Charlotte Wilmott in the M&S Christmas advert.
- We spotted Mukeni Nel in this years advert for House Of Fraser.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
VIEW DINCWEAR’S DANCE & ACTIVE WEAR COLLECTION
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.