The preparations for live performances continue to progress with many theatres and venues opening in 3 weeks time. However, the planning of live festivals is being hampered by the Government’s refusal to offer feasible cancellation insurance policies.
This is what the team at Dincwear Dancewear have spotted this week.
- “Mary Poppins” is to re-open in the West End on August the 7th, with Zizi Strallen & Charlie Stemp set to return to the leading roles.
- “Wicked” will return to London’s Apollo Theatre, with performances resuming on Wednesday the 15th of September.
- Opera North are to stage a new dance piece “West Side Story Symphonic Dances“. It will be choreographed by Dane Hurst, working with Phoenix Dance Theatre.
- Lucy St Louis will play the role of Christine in “The Phantom Of The Opera” when it re-opens in the West End in July. This will be the first entirely new cast for “Phantom” in over 35 years.
- Rosie Kay is bringing “Absolute Solo II” to the Salisbury Playhouse on Wednesday the 6th of June.
- The Brit Awards announced that this years event will have a live audience with free tickets available for key workers. It will take place at the O2 in May with an audience of 4,000 and no social distancing.
- An exhibition of dance photography by Camilla Greenwell will be shown on Sadlers Wells digital platform from Thursday the 29th of April.
- Susanne Carmina Cansino, the last original member of the Dancing Cansino’s, has died aged 90.
Future Dance News
- Birmingham Rep is putting on “What’s New Pussycat” from the 8th of October with choreography by Arlene Phillips.
- “Moulin Rouge The Musical” based on the film by Baz Luhrman will open at The Piccadilly Theatre in London in the Autumn.
- The Strictly Come Dancing “Professionals UK Tour” will begin on the 26th of June in Salford. The stars taking part are: Janette, Dianne, Karen, Katya, Neil, Gorka, Luba, Johannes – and they will be joined by Kai Widdrington.
- Daniela Cardim’s new dance work “Imminent“, which is inspired by climate change, will be live at the Birmingham Rep from the 10th to the 12th of June.
- The English National Ballet announced 2 weeks of performances at The Royal Festival Hall in June. Tickets go on sale on Thursday the 29th of April.
- Cirque de Soleil’s “Luzia” is to run at the Royal Albert Hall next year.
Auditions & Appointments
- The Roisin Whelan Dance Company is holding auditions for its forthcoming dance project. Apply before May the 30th.
- Tavaziva Dance Company are looking for a male dancer to join the company for the tour of “Boy’s Khaya” starting in July. The deadline for applications is the 21st of May.
- Ascension Dance Company is looking for West Midlands based dancers to take part in its upcoming outdoor show “The Other Side” in May & June. The deadline is the 29th of April.
- Hamilton Theatre Arts (formerly Dancepoint) is looking for experienced ballet teachers for both Full-Time and Part-Time positions. Apply with a cover letter and C.V to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leonard Dance Academy announced that Lorraine Swain will become the new Patron.
Film And Video
- Scottish Ballet announced 2 new dance films created alongside people with neurological problems – “Haud Close” & ” Haud Close Together”. These can be viewed for free on the Scottish Ballet website.
- Film trailers came out during “The Oscars” for both Stephen Spielberg’s “West Side Story” & “In The Heights”.
- Ballet Black has been shooting a new dance film called “Waiting Game” at The Barbican Centre.
- On April the 29th The Dutch National Ballet will release a film of David Dawson’s “Metamorphosis”. This is free to view on YouTube until the 29th of October.
- Sophie Laplane, the Scottish Ballet’s choreographer in residence, will release her short dance film “Dive” online from April the 29th to members.
- We spotted Charlotte Bazeley in the latest “Sunbites” advert.
- We spotted Devon Young, Busola Peters, Tyson Simon & Kirubel Belay dancing in the latest Laura Mvula video “Church Girl”. The choreography was by Suzette Brissett.
- We spotted Charlotte Hawthorne dancing with HRVY at The Royal Albert Hall.
So this is what we have seen that might interest pro dancers this week. Remember that it is International Dance Day tomorrow and our team at Dincwear Dancewear hope to see a few interesting things that we can report to you next week.
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.