In a week where the UK Government has said that it was looking to cut spending by 50% on higher education in the arts while proposing to spend £200m on a new Royal Yacht, it seems that all is on track for theatres and live venues to re-open in 2 weeks time.
This is what the team at Dincwear Dancewear have spotted this week.
- The UK Government has proposed funding cuts of 50% for dance and other creative subjects as these are “not among its strategic priorities”.
- New York Mayor Bill De Blasio announced that the City would be fully re-open by the 1st of July – including theatres.
- “Hamilton” will resume its run at the Victoria Palace Theatre, London, on August the 19th.
- “Singing In The Rain” returns to London from July before heading out on tour.
- Carlos Acosta is bringing his new show “On Before” to The Lowry on Wednesday the 21st and Thursday the 22nd of July.
- Ballet Central announced that it will be touring this Summer from the 17th of June – 21st of August.
- The cast of the UK tour of “Beauty And The Beast” was released. The tour will start in August, opening at the Bristol Hippodrome on the 25th of August. Courtney Staple & Emmanuel Kojo will play the title roles.
- Entries for the BBC “Young Dancer 2022” are now officially open. The competition is now open to any dance genre. The closing date is the 18th of June.
- The latest gala from La Scala “Evening Of Great Choreographers” will be streamed via the Teatro Alla Scala website on Saturday the 15th of May at 8.00 CET.
- Jacques d’ Amboise, the legendary dancer, choreographer and educator, has died aged 86.
- The May edition of “The Dancing Times” was published. The Dancer Of The Month is Aaron Chaplin from the Phoenix Dance Company.
Future Dance News
- Sergei Polunin & Alina Cojocaru will star in a new version of “Romeo & Juliet” by Johan Kobborg at the Royal Albert Hall on Wednesday the 1st of December.
- “Rock Of Ages” is set to tour the UK in August.
Auditions & Appointments
- David McAllister received the Royal Academy Of Dance’s prestigious Queen Elizabeth ll Coronation Award.
- Vidya Patel is doing a dance workshop fundraiser in aid of the situation in India on the 15th of May from 10.00 – 11.00am. Details are on Vidya’s Facebook page.
- In America, there is the Sweetbird Summer Intensive with Adrienne Canterna from August the 2nd – the 8th . All details are on Adrienne’s Instagram.
- The Royal Ballet is putting on “Meet The Young Dancers” online from 7.00 on Friday the 7th of May. This is an opportunity to watch the young dancers in rehearsal with Director Christopher Saunders.
- Zoo Nation announced a new partnership with the National Youth Arts organisation in Wales. This aims to deliver a free programme of dance training for young people this Summer. Further details are on the National Youth Arts Wales website.
Film And Video
- Anabel Kutay released her short film “The Final Bow“.
- The Guardian released its list of the 5 best new dance films to watch online:
- “Dive” from the Scottish Ballet and choreographed by Sophie Laplane.
- “Silent Spaces” with Monique Jonas & Ihsaan de Banya.
- “Still Touch” from choreographer Richard Chappell.
- “Chrysalis Project” from Hannah Schneider and choreographer Jin-yeob Cha.
- “Chatter” from Trey McIntyre, choreographed by Alyse Rockett & Darrel “Friidom” Dunn.
- We spotted Oluwatosin & Naomi Weijand in Rhea Melvin’s video “Gravity“. The choreography was by Mark Jennings and the contract was with Mass Talent.
- We spotted Strictly star Karen Hauer in the new Freeman’s advert. The choreography is by Marie McGonigle.
- We spotted Carmelle Rudder in the “Feel Multivitamins” advert.
- We spotted Ella Martine in the new “Vitaminwater” advert.
- We spotted Charlotte Wildrienne on ITV’s “Game Of Talents“.
That completes what the team at Dincwear Dancewear have spotted this week. We will keep on scouring the news for anything that may be of interest to pro dancers and report it here next week.
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.