As the dance world awaited nervously for the Governments “Roadmap” to be announced, the team at Dincwear Dancewear thought that the following may be of interest to professional dancers:
- The short dance film “Wait For Me” won an Off West End Award. It was directed by Sam Cassidy and stars Ainsley Ricketts, Chrissy Brooke, Jain Betote and Clarice Lanta-Lilly.
- Ballet Black announced 8 new choreographic commissions for its forthcoming dance film to be directed by Mark Donne. The choreographers are Hope Boykin, Monique Jonas, Mlindi Kulashe, Sophie Laplane, Peter Leung, Gregory Maqoma, Joy Ritter & Joseph Sissens.
- Chantry Dance Company released its new dance production: “Life On Mars”. Inspired by the music of David Bowie, this can be watched on the Guildhall & Stamford Arts Facebook page.
- Birmingham Dance Net are putting together a directory of regional dance organisations, spaces & useful places. Contact @THEBDNLIST on Twitter.
- Impermanence Dance Theatre brought out “Empty Stage” in collaboration with Benjamin Scheuer and the Birmingham Royal Ballet. This is ” a hope-filled storytelling of the struggles we’ve faced as a community and a reminder to us that #theshowmustgoon”.
- The Margot Fonteyn International Ballet Competition (formerly called The Genee) began online with 118 candidates from 17 countries taking part in the first stage of the competition.
- The Rambert School announced its commissioned choreographers for 2021/2: Jose Aqudo, Monique Jonas, Cameron McMillan, Robbie Ordana, Vidya Patel & Connor Scott.
- We spied birthday girl Crystal Hantig performing on Ant & Dec’s “ITV Takeaway“.
Future Dance News
- This Spring, Greenwich Dance launches “ArtsUnboxed” – a new way to safely create, provide and tour dance works in 2021. This is funded by the Cultural Recovery Fund. For more details visit: greenwichdance.org.uk
- The National Dance Awards will go ahead online on Sunday the 27th of June. The eligibility period has been extended from the 1st of September 2019 to the 31st of December 2020. In addition to the usual awards, 4 new awards are being introduced to cover dance on digital media during the pandemic.
Online Dance Classes
- Tring College has an online “Spring Day Of Dance” on Sunday the 7th of March from 9.45 – 1.35 pm. There are classes on ballet, commercial and contemporary dance, with teachers: Montana Darby, Laura Gibson & Jack Wilcox. This is aimed at pupils aged 7 – 18. There is more information on the website: www.tringpark.com
- AWA Dance has an online Dance Bootcamp for girls aged 14 – 17 and one for women aged 18+ on the 26/27/28th of February, with some first-class tutors. Visit the website for more information and to book.
- Hannah Martin (from BBC1’s show “The Greatest Dancer”) is doing an online Lyrical Contemporary class on the 26th of February from 5.00 – 6.00 pm for £5. The details are on Hannah’s Instagram page.
- You can dance with “Strictly” stars Aljaz & Janette on Fridays at 7.00 via Zoom. This Friday it is the Jive.
- Freddie Opuku-Addaie is to join Dance Umbrella as the new Artistic Director & Chief Executive this March. Freddie is only the fourth person to hold this position in 43 years. Many congratulations.
- Rose Bruford College has appointed Mary Oliver as its new Vice-Principle. Mary joins from the Arts University, Bournemouth, where she is Professor & Dean.
- “Strictly” star Joanne Clifton has joined the JGH Academy Of Theatre Arts as Patron.
Film & Videos
- Adam Murray provided Movement Direction & Choreography for Disney’s new film “Cruella“.
- We spotted Demi Rox Mensch in the new Mahelia video for “Jealous“.
- Stop Press! It has just been announced by the Prime Minister that Theatres may be able to re-open in May. So hopefully we will be reporting next week on some new auditions and rehearsals. How exciting.
That is all for this week from the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.