With the UK Government giving the green light for the re-opening of theatres in May, there is a huge amount of activity going on behind the scenes. For pro dancers, the team at Dincwear Dancewear spotted the following items of interest.
- “Bring It On” starring Amber Davies will open at the Southbank Centre from the 8th of December – the 22nd of January 2022. Tickets go on sale this Friday.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber announces the re-opening of “Phantom Of The Opera” and the opening of “Cinderella”.
- The dance video of Lizzi Gee and her 8-year-old son, Rufus, Tap Dancing became an online hit.
- The March “Dancing Times” was published and its Dancer Of The Month is Jerome Anthony Barnes of the Scottish Ballet.
- Graham Watts sums up his #2020 Dance Challenge in this month’s “Dancing Times” – he achieved 583 dance show reviews in 2020.
- The Scottish Ballet announced the world premiere of a new version of “Coppelia” for the Edinburgh International Festival in 2022, which will then tour. It will be choreographed and directed by Jessica Wright and Morgann Runacre-Temple.
Future Dance News
- Jo Stromgren’s “Rooms” for the Rambert will stream from April the 8th until the 11th direct from the Rambert Home Studio. For ticket information, go to: www.rambert.org
- The Dance School Of The Year 2021 Award Ceremony will be held at Sandy Park, Devon, Exeter on October the 29th.
- Urdang Academy Dubai has a free online open day for ages 14 – 16 on March the 5th, with a Question & Answer session from Solange Urdang and a Commercial Dance Class with Li Li Hodge. You can sign up for this on email@example.com
- “An Evening With Shirley Ballas” will take place in Liverpool on the 29th of May, Birmingham on the 4th of June & London on June the 6th.
Online Dance Classes
- Nafisah Baba, the winner of BBC1’s “Young Dancer Of The Year“, has an online Contemporary class on Saturday the 6th of March from 10.30 – 12.00 with Danceworks. Book on the link in Nafisah’s Instagram Bio.
- Para Dance UK received funding from the BBC “Children In Need” to offer free remote dance classes to special needs and disabled children. For information, contact: www.paradance.org.uk
- Dommy North, Principle dancer with New Adventures, will be taking an online Ballet/Contemporary class on Wednesday the 21st of April. Book on the New Adventures website.
- Tanya Anderson has organized a charity zoom Dance Intensive in aid of “Versus Arthritis” on Sunday the 7th of March from 12.00 at £5 a class. The dance teachers are: Amie Harris (Hip Hop/Commercial), Steven Thompson (Grooves), Sarah Hobson (Ragga), Shelley Anderson (House) & Nathan Paul (Choreography).
- Hannah Levitt Collins has an open Commercial dance class on Friday the 12th of March from 5.30 – 6.45. You can book on the link in Hannah’s Instagram Bio.
- Come One Dance Academy has an Easter Dance Intensive on the 13/14 & 15th of April with teachers: Adam Scott, Leah Hill, Philip Birchall, Gianna Martello, Laura Jane Fenney, Jo Goodwin, Rebecca Davis, Sam Salter, Josh Pilmore, Josie Lee, Max Jarish & Briar Nolet.
- Perform Like A Pro has an Easter Dance Intensive from the 4th – 6th of April inclusive. Teachers include: Jo Goodwin, Ryan-Lee Seager, Josh Denyer, Chloe Ferns, Max Jarish, Lauren Griffin, Paris Green, Emily Charlton, Sam Salter & Johnny Bishop. Book your place on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ryan-Lee Seager has an open Jazz class on Sunday the 14th of March from 10.30 – Midday for £7. To book, email Ryan on Ryanleeseager@hotmail.com
Appointments & Awards
- Birmingham Royal Ballet announced that Dominic Antonucci has been appointed as Assistant Director, succeeding Marion Tait CBE.
- Samina Beckford joins Dance Consortium as Programme Co-ordinator and Anand Bhatt & Iona White are joining the board of Trustees.
- Stephen Lightbrown will become Chair of Candocodance in March and Dan Daw will become the company’s first Associate Artistic Director, with Kez Margrie becoming a Trustee.
- Katy Sinnadurai received a BEM for her work with the Brecon Festival Ballet.
Pro dancers have now been training and dancing at home for over a year – we salute you! It is great to see dance studios and productions getting ready to re-open! We will bring you all the latest dance news each week so that you don’t miss anything. “For all those people who are finding it difficult at the moment – the sun will shine on you again and the clouds will go away”. Sir Captain Tom Moore.
That is all for this week from the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.