It was not a good week for the industry with Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Cinderella” forced to close before its premiere and a leading Art College, MTA, announcing that it will be shutting down. These are the other points of interest to pro dancers that the team at Dincwear Dancewear has noticed this week.
General News & Sightings
- Andrew Lloyd Weber’s new production of “Cinderella” was forced to close a day before its premiere when one member of the crew tested positive for coronavirus. ALW stated that theatre simply cannot operate under the current government test and trace requirements.
- MTA, a leading arts college, announced that it would be closing as its potential students cannot access funding for their studies.
- On the first day of rehearsals for the re-opening of “Hamilton” in the West End, 15 cast members had to be sent home because of test and trace.
- The UK Government issues guidance for attending live events – which includes wearing a facemask.
- BBC1’s “Strictly Come Dancing” has introduced 4 new pro dancers to the show: Jowita Przystal, Kai Widdrington, Cameron Lombard & Nikita Kuzmin.
- The Ambassador Theatre Group will require audience members to show proof of a negative covid test or that they have received both vaccinations.
- ” & Juliet” has announced the cast for its return to the West End on the 24th of September at the Shaftsbury Theatre. It will star Miriam-Teak Lee & Cassidy Janson.
- “Six – The Musical” will transfer from the Lyric Theatre to the 700 seat Vaudeville Theatre on the 29th of August.
- Yasmin Mello is the recipient of the National Dance Residency Partnership, Ireland, to develop her new dance work “Marbleface”.
- “Pippin” extends its London run until the 5th of September at the Charing Cross Theatre. Choreography by Nick Winston.
- Dancer Eve Pettinger MBE has passed away aged 92.
Future Dance News
- The full cast for “Heathers” on tour has been revealed with Rebecca Wickes as Veronica, Simon Gordon as JD, and Maddison Firth, Merryl Ansah & Lizzy Parker as the Heathers. The show will open on the 5th of August at Leeds Grand.
- Diorama’s new free rehearsal and development space will be available via a lottery when it opens in London next month.
- The world premiere of “The Osmonds – A New Musical” will open at Leicester’s Curve Theatre in February 2022 before embarking on a UK tour.
- Theatres in Wales are set to be allowed to operate at full capacity from the 7th of August. Face coverings will remain a legal requirement.
- The world premiere of Northern Ballet’s new production of “Merlin” will be at the Nottingham Theatre Royal on the 25th of September. The choreography is by Drew McOnie.
- “Cabaret” will open in November at the Playhouse Theatre, London, starring Eddie Redmayne & Jessie Buckley. The choreography is by Julia Cheng.
- The Sonia Sabri Dance Company announced the 2021 tour of “Same, Same …But Different” . It will visit 26 venues across England from the 27th of July to the 26th of August.
- Melanie Cripps will be the choreographer on “Memories Of The Musicals” at Kilworth House this Summer.
Appointments and Auditions
- ZooNation is looking for dancers to join their youth company. Auditions will be held on Sunday the 5th of September in London. Registration is required by Friday the 20th of August.
- Brenda Emmanus will become Chair of the New Adventures Board Of Trustees. Brenda will be joined on the Board Of Trustees by Emily Bolton, Jacquie Brunjes, Huw Morris, Juliet Riddell & Jessica Ward.
- The Loft Studios in Coventry offers a class on Sunday the 8th of August from 10.30 – 3.30 pm with Serena McCall, Charlie Keen & Angus Simpson for £20.
- The Safe Space is holding a dance day on Thursday the 22nd of July from 10.00 am – 3.30 pm at Base Studios with teachers: Katie Deacon (Ballet), Bethany Huckle (MT Jazz), Leanne Pinder & Steph Archer.
- Hannah Levitt Collins will be teaching a commercial class in Southampton on August the 3rd from 6.00 – 7.30 pm. Contact Hannah on her Instagram page.
- The BOP Jazz Summer Intensive with Dollie Henry will take place from the 26th – 29th of July. See the BOP website for further details.
- Nafisah Baba offers a dance class at Dreamworks, London, every Wednesday from 5.30 – 7.00 pm.
- Scarlette Ellyse is offering a Commercial dance class at Space Six, Newcastle, on Wednesdays from 6.00 – 7.00 pm for £7.
- Redbox Dance has a London Dance Camp from July the 31st – August the 1st. Teachers include Kenrick, Jay Revell, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer & Nikki Trow. Contact: www.Redboxdance.com for further details.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Jazz Peters has a Summer Workshop on Sunday the 25th of July. For further details & to book contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Li Li Hodge is doing an intermediate/advanced heels class on Monday evenings at 8.45 pm. Further information is in Li Li’s Instagram Bio.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 2.15-3.15pm & Wednesday from 7.45-8.45pm. There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.30 pm.
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.00 – 5.30 pm.
Film And Video
- The Edinburgh Festival will have a new film of Akram Khans’s “Chotto Xenos” available to stream on the 14th & 15th of August.
- We spotted Shanice Ivy Burton in the latest Three.UK advert.
- We spotted Lizzie McConachie in the latest advert for Boots Sunglasses.
It is clear that theatre and live productions cannot continue under the present Government regulations on track and trace. So it will be interesting to see what happens next week. The team at Dincwear Dancewear will keep our eyes peeled for all the news and report back to you next Tuesday.
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.