Strictly Come Dancing has confirmed that four new professional dancers will be joining the 2021 series: Kai Widdrington, Nikita Kuzmin, Cameron Lombard, and Jowita Przystal.
8 of the Strictly Pro Dancers Now Wear Leggings From Dincwear Dancewear!
This is the rest of the week’s news that may be of interest to pro dancers, from the team at Dincwear Dancewear.
General News & Sighting
- This week it was reported that several West End shows, like “Hairspray”, have employed more cover artists to ensure that the production does not have to be suspended if a cast member has to self-isolate.
- Andrew Lloyd Weber’s “Cinderella” will open on the 18th of August – when the track and trace rules change to allow fully vaccinated people to not have to self-isolate if they come into contact with a covid positive individual.
- The West End production of “Frozen” will open at the newly refurbished Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, on the 27th of August, with a press night in September. Choreography is by Rob Ashford.
- Lia Given is returning to “Hamilton” as Resident Choreographer.
- The UK Government confirms a 50% cut to higher education subsidies for the arts.
- “In Pieces” – the new musical by Joey Contreras, announced the cast for an outdoor performance at the Turbine Theatre on the 22nd of August at 8.00pm. Choreography is by Rachel Sargeant.
- Full casting has been revealed for “Bring It On” starring Amber Davies & Louis Smith. The choreography is by Fabian Alouise.
- The US Government has distributed grants of $10m to every Broadway show that had to close because of covid and $10m to each touring production.
- Patricia Wilde, the American dancer, has died aged 93.
- Donald “Don” Martin, a choreographer and dancer, has died in West Hollywood aged 90.
- STOP PRESS – “West End Live” will return to Trafalgar Square in London on the 18th & 19th of September. The line-up will be revealed next month.
Future Dance News
- The Carnival ship “Breeze” is the 3rd cruise ship back in service for the Carnival cruise line. Seabourne also announces new European cruises for 2023.
- Jake Quickenden will join the upcoming tour of “Footloose” set to begin in February 2022 at the Theatre Royal, Plymouth. The production will be directed by Racky Plews with choreography by Matt Cole.
- Nick Winston will direct “Bonnie & Clyde” at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, starring Laura Osnes & Jeremy Jordan, on the 18th of January 2022.
- Casting has been revealed for “The Drifters Girl”. It will star Beverley Knight and is being choreographed by Karen Bruce. The premiere will be at the Theatre Royal, Newcastle, on the 9th of October, before it transfers to the Garrick Theatre in London.
Appointments and Auditions
- East London Dance is looking for a part-time Artist Support Producer (3 days a week – £18,000). The closing date for applications is the 2nd of August. Interviews will be on the 13th of August. See the website for more details.
- The Royal Academy of Dance is looking for Dance Practitioners to join the “Step Into Dance” team. You will be available to teach dance across London and Essex, with a specialisation in teaching all forms of street dance, contemporary dance & cultural dance styles. (£41 per hour).
- The Jasmin Vardon Dance Company is holding auditions at its company studios in Ashford, Kent, on Saturday the 14th of August. Register via the link on the website.
- The Curve Theatre, Leicester, is looking for 20 male & female local dancers aged 16+ to appear as ensemble cast members in its Christmas musical “A Chorus Line”.
- The Loft Studios in Coventry offers a class on Sunday the 8th of August from 10.30 – 3.30 pm with: Serena McCall, Charlie Keen & Angus Simpson for £20.
- Hannah Levitt Collins will be teaching a commercial class in Southampton on August the 3rd from 6.00 – 7.30 pm. Contact Hannah on her Instagram page.
- Nafisah Baba offers a dance class at Dreamworks, London, every Wednesday from 5.30 – 7.00 pm.
- Scarlette Ellyse is offering a Commercial dance class at Space Six, Newcastle, on Wednesdays from 6.00 – 7.00 pm for £7.
- Redbox Dance has a London Dance Camp from July the 31st – August the 1st. Teachers include Kenrick, Jay Revell, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer & Nikki Trow. Contact: www.Redboxdance.com for further details.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Li Li Hodge is doing an intermediate/advanced heels class on Monday evenings at 8.45 pm. Further information is in Li Li’s Instagram Bio.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 2.15-3.15pm & Wednesday from 7.45-8.45pm. There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.30 pm.
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.00 – 5.30 pm.
Film And Video
- We spotted Gabby Harmon doubling for Kate Beckinsale in the new film “Jolt”.
- We spotted Gabby Antrobus at the Royal Albert Hall in the “Best Of The West End”.
- We spotted Oluwatosin, Kristina Pinheiro & Sabrina Wong in the latest “We’re Going Out” campaign for Gresham Blake. The choreography is by Suzette Brissett.
So performance venues and theatres have responded to the problem of artists having to self-isolate by either employing more artists or by not opening until the rules about self-isolation change on the 18th of August.
As always the team at Dincwear Dancewear will keep our eyes on the news that may affect pro dancers and report back next week.
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.