It has been confirmed that theatres and performance venues can re-open without restrictions on the 19th of July. However, there remains the serious problem of productions being closed down for 10 days every time a member of the production team or cast tests positive for covid. This issue will have to be resolved for theatres to re-open successfully. These are the points of interest for pro dancers that the team at Dincwear Dancewear has seen in the past week.
General News & Sightings
- “Prince Of Egypt” in the West End had to suspend performances for 10 days as one person tested positive for covid so, under current regulations, the entire cast and crew had to self-isolate. The management stated that this state of affairs cannot continue if the business is to trade profitably.
- Sonia Friedman has warned that the theatre sector is on its “last legs” and is just weeks away from collapse without help from the Government on current self-isolation rules.
- “Heathers – The Musical” had to cancel the first week of performances in Leeds.
- The future of the tour of “Ghost” has become uncertain after dates at regional venues have been canceled.
- Joanne Clifton will be at the UDance 2021 National Youth Dance Festival on Friday the 16th of July.
- “Jamie – The Musical” is to take a break in the West End from September and will resume performances in 2022.
- The Aud Jebson Young Dancers Programme has been awarded to: Olivia Findley, Ava May Llewellyn, Viola Pantusu & Alix
- Van Tiggelen. This program allows young dancers to work with the Royal Ballet’s Corp De Ballet for a year.
- The “Best Of The West End” will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on the 21st of July. Choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- Beth Veitch has received Arts Council, England, funding for her upcoming dance film project: “Waiting On It”.
- Strictly Come Dancing professional Giovanni Pernice has gone public with his romance with Love Island’s Maura Higgins. Rumors that the pair were dating had been floating around for weeks, but the pair have finally gone public on Instagram. Could Maura Higgins appear on Strictly amid Giovanni Pernice romance?
Future Dance News
- Marella Cruises announced that international cruises will restart in September.
- The new musical “The Rhythmics” will have its premiere at Southbank Playhouse in London from the 2nd of December until the 8th of January 2022. The choreography is by Mark Smith.
- CTC Dance (Christopher Tendai) has received an Arts Council grant to put on a brand new show called “INK’d” in October at the Colchester Fringe Festival.
- Breaking world champions, The Ruggeds, come to Sadlers Wells on the 15th – 18th of September.
Appointments and Auditions
- Ballet Black is looking to hire a company administrator (£26,000) to provide support to the Artistic Director & staff. The deadline for applications is July the 31st.
- Northern Ballet is looking for strong classical male and female dancers, including soloist standards. The audition date is Sunday the 1st of August. Application closing date is: Wednesday the 14th of July.
- Hope Muir has been appointed Artistic Director of the National Ballet of Canada.
- Sammy Ceriani is doing a hip hop class at Base Dance Studios on Tuesday the 20th of July from 5.30 – 7.00 pm for £9.
- The Loft Studios in Coventry offers a class on Sunday the 8th of August from 10.30 – 3.30 pm with: Serena McCall, Charlie Keen & Angus Simpson for £20.
- The Safe Space is holding a dance day on Thursday the 22nd of July from 10.00 am – 3.30 pm at Base Studios with teachers: Katie Deacon (Ballet), Bethany Huckle (MT Jazz), Leanne Pinder & Steph Archer.
- Hannah Levitt Collins will be teaching a commercial class in Southampton on August the 3rd from 6.00 – 7.30 pm. Contact Hannah on her Instagram page.
- The BOP Jazz Summer Intensive with Dollie Henry will take place from the 26th – 29th of July. See the BOP website for further details.
- Nafisah Baba offers a dance class at Dreamworks, London, every Wednesday from 5.30 – 7.00 pm.
- Scarlette Ellyse is offering a Commercial dance class at Space Six, Newcastle, on Wednesdays from 6.00 – 7.00 pm for £7.
- Redbox Dance has a London Dance Camp from July the 31st – August the 1st. Teachers include Kenrick, Jay Revell, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer & Nikki Trow. Contact: www.Redboxdance.com for further details.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Jazz Peters has a Summer Workshop on Sunday the 25th of July. For further details & to book contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Li Li Hodge is doing an intermediate/advanced heels class on Monday evenings at 8.45 pm. Further information is in Li Li’s Instagram Bio.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 3.30 – 4.30 pm & Wednesday from 8.00 – 9.00pm. There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.30 pm.
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.00 – 5.30 pm.
Film And Video
- Jane McMurtrie will be the Movement Director on the new production of “Indecent Proposal”.
- We spotted Austyn Farrell, Marisa Flandes, Leah Harris & Kelly Green dancing at the closing ceremony of the European Football Championship.The choreography was by Christian Storm and the contract was with the Mass Movement Agency.
- We spotted Francesca Hayward in the latest Ralph Lauren advert.
- We spotted Jasmine Takacs & Charlotte Habibi in Amr Diab’s latest video.
- We spotted Kimberly Wyatt in the latest advert for “Take Five” hard seltzer.
It will certainly not be all plain sailing from July the 19th. The UK Government will have to make changes to the covid self-isolation rules for theatres to be able to open fully in practical terms. We will await news on this and anything else that could be of interest to pro dancers and the team at Dincwear Dancewear will report back next week.
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.