All the latest news from Dincwear Pro Dancewear.
South Korea’s Waackxxxy crowned Queen of Street Dance Style in World Finals.
History was made in Frankfurt on Saturday night the 11th Nov 2023, when Waackxxxy was crowned the Red Bull Dance Your Style 2023 World Champion and the first woman to ever take the title.
The talented waacking artist from South Korea dominated the dance floor to move the capacity crowd with her high energy dance style and mesmerizing movements to beat Gio from the Netherlands in an electrifying final battle.
This head-to-head contest was the culmination of a year of national events involving more than 4,000 competitors from over 150 countries who have matched their dance moves to unheard tracks in competitions decided by the audience.
The ultimate dance off saw 16 of the world’s best dancers have just a few seconds to make up their minds and muscular moves to interpret unpredictable hits from a galaxy of funk, pop, rock, hip hop, disco and more.
After several rounds of high steppin’ drama Waackxxxy ultimately impressed the audience to take the Red Bull Dance Your Style 2023 World Champion title.
Strictly Come Dancing Blackpool week 2023, Angela Rippon, 79, says she feels like she has ‘won’ Strictly Come Dancing despite her exit from the show and is proud of ‘flying the flag for older women’
Angela Rippon feels like she has won the Glitterball trophy despite being the latest star to be voted off Strictly Come Dancing.
The legendary broadcaster, 79, became the eighth star to leave the BBC dancing show on Sunday.
She told how she has been stopped everywhere by members of the public saying she has given them a new lease of life and had been ‘flying the flag for older women’.
Angela, who had been partnered with professional dancer Kai Widdrington, aged 28 and 51 years her junior, said that whilst she was still ‘fit and flexible’ she knew she would never win the series.
Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour on Monday, she said: ‘I did say right at the very beginning I did know I was never going to win the competition, my goodness there are some stunning dancers this year and getting closer and closer to that Glitterball.
Shrek the Musical to run in London next summer.
Broadway and West End hit Shrek the Musical is set to transfer to the Eventim Apollo in Hammersmith next summer after concluding its tour.
The cast, including Antony Lawrence as Shrek, Joanne Clifton as Princess Fiona, James Gillan as Lord Farquaad, Brandon Lee Sears as Donkey and Cherece Richards as Dragon, will reprise their roles for the London run, which plays for six weeks from 19 July 2024.
Celebrating its 20th anniversary last year, the Oscar®-winning DreamWorks animated film Shrek spawned a Broadway production in 2008, penned by David Lindsay-Abaire and Jeanine Tesori.
It garnered eight Tony nominations and the award for Best Costume Design. The original West End production received four Olivier Award nominations in 2012, with Nigel Harman winning Best Supporting Actor for his role as Lord Farquaad.
Produced by Mark Goucher, Matthew Gale, and Gavin Kalin, this new revival’s creative team is led by director and choreographer Nick Winston with co-director Sam Holmes. Alongside them are set and costume designer Philip Witcomb, lighting designer Ben Cracknell, sound designer Ben Harrison, casting director Jim Arnold, projection designer Nina Dunn and puppet designer Jimmy Grimes.
Shrek the Musical will continue its tour until April 2024, concluding in Canterbury after visiting 31 venues. The ensemble cast for the Eventim Apollo in Hammersmith will be announced in due course.
Have a first listen to the Starter for Ten musical.
Set in 1985, the coming-of-age story centres on Brian, who is starting his first year at Bristol University with the aim to fulfil his lifelong dream of competing on BBC quiz show University Challenge. It is based on the 2006 film of the same name, which starred James McAvoy, Benedict Cumberbatch, James Corden and Rebecca Hall.
The show has a book and lyrics co-written by Emma Hall and Charlie Parham, with an 80s-inspired score composed by queer, pop-punk composers Tom Rasmussen and Hatty Carman.
Set to lead the show as Brian is Adam Bregman, who is currently training at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and has previous credits including Tolkein and Huntingdon Theatre’s stage production of Sing Street. Joining Bregman will be Eubha Akilade (Find Me In Paris, The Diplomat), who takes the role of Rebecca, Brian’s closest friend on campus.
Stephenson Ardern-Sodje (Rock Follies) plays Brian’s childhood best friend Spencer, Miracle Chance (Heathers) will play Brian’s team member Lucy, am-dram celebrity Alice will be played by Emily Lane (Frozen), and Will Jennings (Les Misérables) will play team captain Patrick.
Running from 29 February to 30 March 2024, Starter for Ten will be directed by Parham, choreographed by Shelley Maxwell, with set and costume design by Frankie Bradshaw, sound design by Gregory Clarke, musical supervision by Nick Barstow (who appears in the video below) and casting by Will Burton for GBC.
Further casting, including that for Professor Bowman, Brian’s mum and Bamber Gascoigne, will all be revealed soon.
Hall and Parham’s company, Antic Productions, will co-produce alongside Bristol Old Vic, Longshot Films – which co-produced the 2006 film adapatation – and Playtone.
The show opens in Bristol early next year
Police Cops: The Musical to move to Southwark Playhouse Elephant.
Police Cops: The Musical will move to Southwark Playhouse Elephant for seven weeks.
It will run at the venue from March 1, 2024 to April 20.
The production features a score by Ben Adams, who has previously worked on Eugenius! The Musical.
Creators Zachary Hunt, Nathan Parkinson, Tom Roe, Melinda Orengo and Natassia Bustamante are returning to the production.
Musical supervision, arrangements and orchestrations are by Rich Morris, with choreography by Matt Cole, set and lighting by Andrew Exeter, sound by Charlie Smith, musical direction by Gabriel Chernick, and casting by Pearson Casting.
It is produced by Royo Entertainment.
General News & Sighting
- Leading pantomime producers and theatres are reporting increased year-on-year ticket sales for festive productions – some as much as 17%. (The Stage)
- It was Angela Rippon and Kai’s turn to be eliminated from Strictly this week. Matt Flint choreographed the first pro/celebrity routine at Blackpool and Beth Honan choreographed the second pro routine.
- The winners were annnounced for the Evening Standard Theatre Awards 2023. The Best Musical prize went to “Guys and Dolls” with Nicole Scherzinger winning Best Musical Performance for her role in “Sunset Boulevard”.
- “Shrek The Musical” is set to transfer to the Eventim Apollo in Hammersmith, London, after finishing its current tour. The show, which stars Joanne Clifton, will open on the 19th of July 2024. It is directed and choreographed by Nick Winston.
- “Police Cops: The Musical” is set to return to London at the Southwalk Playhouse from the 1st of March 2024 until the 20th of April. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- Lead casting has been announced for the upcoming revival of “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang”. Adam Garcia will play Caractus Potts. The show will open in Southampton on the 30th of April 2024. The choreography is by Karen Bruce.
- “Next To Normal” is to transfer to the West End. It will play from the 18th of June 2024 until the 21st of September at the Wyndham’s Theatre. The choreography is by Ann Yee.
Future Dance Events News
- “The Wizard of Oz” has confirmed the full cast for its tour of the UK and Ireland. The choreography is by Shay Barclay. The show will open in Liverpool on the 13th of December 2024.
- “Standing at the Sky’s Edge” has confirmed the initial casting for its 2024 West End transfer. It has choreography by Lynne Page and will run at the Gillian Lynne theatre from the 8th of February 2024.
- A “Cruel Intentions” musical is coming to London. It will open at the Other Palace on the 11th of January 2024 with choreography by Gary Lloyd.
- Nick Winston and Ryan Lee Seager will be directing and choreographing the world premiere of “Burlesque The Musical” – which has Christina Aguilera as an Executive Director. The show will open at the Manchester Opera House on the 13th of June 2024.
- “Clueless The Musical” will have a developmental run at the Churchill theatre in Bromley from the 12th – 24th of February 2024.
- “Mean Girls” is coming to the Savoy Theatre in June 2024.
- A touring musical version of “101 Dalmations” will open in Wimbledon on the 22nd of June 2024.
- “& Juliet” will embark on a UK tour from the 8th of July 2024. The choreographer is Jennifer Weber.
- “The Devil Wears Prada” has confirmed its West End run and UK premiere. It will be directed and choreographed by Jerry Mitchell and be cast by Jill Green. The show will open in Plymouth on the 9th of July 2024.
- “Bonnie and Clyde The Musical” has announced the initial cast and tour dates for 2024. Katie Tonkinson will star as Bonnie Parker.
- “Starlight Express” is to return to London in the Summer of 2024. It will be choreographed by Ashley Nottingham.
- The world premiere of the new British musical “Cable Street” is to open at the Southwark Playhouse on the 16th of February 2024. The choreography is by Melody Sinclair.
- “Some Like It Hot” is coming to the West End in 2025. It will be directed and choreographed by Casey Nicholaw.
- “Wicked” has announced the full cast for its tour of the UK and Ireland. We spotted Charlotte Coggin, Aine Curran, Jade Davies, Maddison Firth, Shoko Ito and Will Luckett among the cast members. The tour will open on the 7th of December at Edinburgh.
- Full casting has been revealed for the first UK and Ireland tour of “Aladdin”. Gavin Adams will star with Desmonda Cathabel as Jasmine. Sarah Benbelaid is the Assistant Dance Captain. The show will open in Edinburgh in October.
- The 2024 Mighty Hoopla Big Weekender has announced its line up led by: Natalie Imbruglia, Cascada and Gabrielle.
- “Diana the Musical” will open at the Eventim Apollo in Hammersmith, London, on the 4th of December. It will star Kerry Ellis and Maiya Quansah-Breed.
- “Shucked” will open in the West End in 2024. The choreographer is Sarah O’Gleby.
- The musical “Bonnie & Clyde” will be heading off on a tour of UK and Ireland in 2024, opening in Manchester on the 19th of March. It is directed and choreographed by Nick Winston.
- “Come From Away” announced a UK and Ireland tour beginning in Leicester on the 1st of March 2024. The production is being cast by Pippa Ailion and Natalie Gallacher. The choreography is by Tara Wilkinson and Kirsty Malpas with Richard Hinds. The Dance Captain is Angeline Bell.
- “Hadestown” will open at the Lyric Theatre in the West End on the 10th of February 2024. The choreographer is David Neumann.
- The new musical “Starter for Ten” will premiere in Bristol next year at the Old Vic theatre from the 29th of February until the 30th of March 2024.
- “The King And I” will return to the West End in early 2024 starring Helen George and Darren Lee.
- “Sister Act – The Musical” will return to the Dominion theatre in the West End on the 15th of March 2024. It will star Beverley Knight and Alexandra Burke. The choreography is by Alistair David.
- The lead cast has been unveiled for “We Will Rock You” opening in the West End. It will star Lee Mead and Brenda Edwards.
- The upcoming “Wicked” tour has announced its lead casting. Laura Pick will play Elphaba. The show will open in Edinburgh on the 7th of December. The choreography is by Wayne Cilento.
- “Jesus Christ Superstar” will tour the UK in 2023/4 opening in Manchester this September. The choreography is by Drew McOnie.
Auditions & Vacancies
- “Magic Mike” is holding auditions for male dancers on the 28th of November in London. It is by invitation only. For more information, contact: http://www.magicmikecasting.com
- Whitechapel Gallery is auditioning for Tango dancers to accompany the exhibition “Dreams Have No Titles”. Visit the website for more details.
- Park Chinois in London is holding an audition for dancers on the 28th of November, by invitation only. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Ballet Cymru is holding auditions in Newport in January and February 2024. The deadline for applications is January 2024. For more details, contact: email@example.com
- Rendez-Vous is looking for 2 women/trans/non binary identifying dance artists to join the cast of “The Monocle” for its Spring/Summer 2024 National Tour. The audition is in Central London on the 3rd of December, with the deadline to apply by the 24th of November. There is more information at: http://www.rendez-vousdance.com
- KOR Intensives is looking for 3 girl dancers for a show at Wembley Arena on the 16th of December. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barbara Jackson is offering 2 free weeks of training and rehearsals for a new dance musical on the 12th – 16th of February. To apply, email: email@example.com
- The Place in London is looking for dancers to become Trainee Dance Teachers in their Partners Schools Project. Have a look at the website for details.
- Rouge in Las Vegas is looking for male dancers. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is offering a 1 day masterclass with its leading dancers from “Edward Scissorhands” on the 16th of December – see the company website for further details.
- Anders Nielson is doing a class at The Playground in London on the 23rd of November at 4.00 pm.
- Mica Bradbury, soloist with the Royal Ballet, has a Nutcracker workshop on the 3rd of December at the Royal Opera House from 10.30 am – 1.00 pm (for 8 – 11 year olds) and from 1.45 – 4.45 pm (for 12 -16 year olds). Contact Mica on: email@example.com
- Abbie Brown has a dance workshop in Glasgow on the 26th of November. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christopher Tendai is teaching a Musical Theatre Jazz class on the 6th of December at Pineapple Studios in London from 2.00 – 3.30 pm.
- Lisa Welham, Magda Sobolewska, Katrin Lerner, Keoni Azra & Jennifer White have a Ladies Latin Intensive on the 9th of December from 10.00 am – 5.00 pm at the Somers Town Community Sports Centre in London.
- Weronika Wiktoria is starting a Street Jazz class every Monday at 5.30 pm at the Base dance studios with Ralitsa Chepisheva.
- Dollie Henry will be teaching Jazz dance at the Place in London on the 19th of November from 4.00 – 5.30 pm.
- Dance Forward has a 1 day Christmas Ballet course at the Royal Ballet Company Studios on the 3rd of December from 9.30 am – 1.30 pm with Darcey Bussell.
- Lil J is offering a sassy Commercial class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays at 4.15 pm. You can book on the Pineapple app.
- Amy Ireland is offering a Beginners Tap class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays at 10.15 am and a Commercial Tap class on Mondays at 8.30 pm.
- Dominique Marinho is teaching a Beginners Heels class on Tuesdays at Pineapple Studios from 3.45 – 4.45 pm.
- Olivia Rose Shouler is doing a beginners choreography class on Wednesday from 7.00 – 8.25 pm at the Base Studios in London.
- Gemma Hoddy is giving a class at Base Studios on Thursdays from 5.30 – 6.55 pm.
- Nicolette Whitley is offering a dance class on Thursdays from 6.15 – 7.15 pm at the Inner Space in Nelwyn for £7. Reserve your space on: email@example.com
- Emma Levene is offering a General Ballet Core and Stretch Contemporary class at Forest Gate Community School on Thursdays from 7.00 – 8.00 pm. Email to book: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alexandre Novelli is offering a Beginners Commercial for Adults class every Tuesday at her Novelli Studios from 6.00 – 7.00 pm.
Film & TV
- Disney confirmed that a 4th “Frozen” movie is in the planning.
- “Mean Girls” musical movie released a trailer. The film is choreographed by Kyle Hanagams.
- The West End production of “The Prince of Egypt” is scheduled to be released on leading digital platforms from the 4th of December 2023. The show was recorded live at the Dominion Theatre in 2021. The choreography is by Sean Cheesman.
- We spotted the following dancers performing at the Liverpool Cathedral Charity Gala: Grace Cinque White, Bethan Mitchell, Crystal Hantig, Megan Toft, Luke Miller, Luke Field Wright, Hetty Moss, Jodie Duckworth & Kim Collicutt. The choreography was by David Wood.
- We spotted Crystal Hantig and Hannah Levitt Collins performing with Nicole Scherzinger in Indonesia.
- We spotted Anders Nielsen, Billy Roy Sawyer, Julia Ruiz Fernandez, Alex Chambers, Jaih Betote & Robyn Rae Laud performing at the Latin Grammys 2023.
- We spotted the following dancers performing with Robbie Williams on the Australian/New Zealand leg of his tour: Tylah Paterson, Jenny Griffin, Joy Duckrell, Elise Pinel & Kamila Zalewska. The contract was with Kutes and the choreography is by Jerry Reeve & Ashley Wallen.
- We spotted the following dancers in the new Dua Lipa video for “Houdini”: Bradley Salter, Danny Coburn, Jordan Melch, Matthew Scott & Rycardo Gomez. The choreography was by Charm La’Donna, Sharon June & Sammi Lee Jayne. The contract was with AMCK.
- We spotted Patricia Zhou in the new TV advert for Absolut Vodka. The contract was with AJK.
- We spotted Jessica Derrick as the crazy soccer Mum in Amazon Music’s new advert.
Pro Dancer News Published by the Dincwear Pro Dancewear Team.
View All The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all in a weeks time!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.