Signs are everywhere that the dance world is preparing to re-open. This is what the team at Dincwear Dancewear have seen this week.
- The Royal Ballet announced that it will resume performances on May the 17th, the first programme will feature Chris Wheeldon’s “Within The Golden Hour” and 2 ballets by Crystal Pite.
- “Back To The Future” will begin performances without social distancing at the Adelphi Theatre on August the 20th.
- Giovani Pernice & Anton Du Beke announced their “Him & Me” tour for 2021. Tickets are available on www.antonandgiovanni.com
- West End musical “The Prince Of Egypt” plans to return to the Dominion Theatre on July the 1st.
- Casting has been announced for the UK tour of “Chicago“. The tour is planning to open in September 2021 and continue touring until February 2022.
- The “Move It” dance expo stated that it will return on the 11th-13th of March 2022 inclusive.
- The UK Government announces pilot events without social distancing, with the Crucible Theatre one of the venues taking part.
- “Dance Magazine” of the USA announced its “25 To Watch” list of dancers, choreographers and companies “poised for a breakthrough year in 2021”. (We didn’t make the cut.)
- Northern School Of Contemporary Dance announced a new partnership with the Hofesh Shechter Dance Company.
- Salome Leverashvili & Timothy an Poucke of the Dutch National Ballet were promoted to soloists after their (online) performances in “Sarcasmen” and “Echoes Of Tomorrow” by director Ted Brandsen. Congratulations.
- Birmingham Commonwealth Games in 2022 has been given £1m to create a dance project for 300 youngsters, which will include performances at the opening and closing ceremonies.
Future Dance News
- Pasha Kovalev is putting on a virtual night at the theatre “Rise Up With Arts” for World Theatre Day on March the 27th in aid of the arts hit by the pandemic. It will be available to watch live.
- A new full-length dance production from Richard Chappell titled “Infinite Ways Home” will open at Exeter Northcote on the 24th of September 2021.
- Three solo ballets by Rosie Kay will re-open the Birmingham REP on Wednesday the 19th of May 2021.
- The Strictly NHS event will be held at the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool on the 4th of June.
- “Frozen” confirms that it will open in the West End on the 27th August 2021 at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.
- Strictly star Giovanni Pernice announced his “This Is Me” tour for 2022. Tickets are available on www.giovannipernice.com
Online Dance Classes
- Debbie Moore and the dance teachers at Pineapple Studio are marking a year of lockdown with free online dance classes all day on Tuesday the 23rd of March.
- Lil-J is offering a variety of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes via the Pineapple Live App.
- Mark Baldwin & Brandon Lawrence have been appointed to the Board of Elmhurst Ballet School.
Film And Video
- Choreographer Nick Winston is making his feature film debut directing “Tomorrow Morning” for Visualize Films.
- “In The Heights” movie will be released in Theatres and streamed on HBO from June the 18th.
- We spotted Mon Jonas in the latest advert for Reebok.
- We spotted Jess Khan Lee in the recent Epsom commercial.
- We spotted Tommy Franzen & Jess Khan Lee in the new Fabulosa commercial. The choreography was by Marie McGonigle.
That is all the dance news that the Dincwear Dancewear team have seen this week. One year ago today every professional dancer in the UK lost their job and, since then, have been completely forgotten by the UK Government.
The consequences for many dancers have been terrible. But there are many emerging signs that the dance industry is preparing to return stronger and better than ever. “That which does not kill you makes you stronger” (Friedrich Nietzsche).
That is all for this week from the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.