With over 50 % of the UK population having received their first vaccination, the dance world is preparing to re-open with many shows and venues giving updates on progress this week. This is what the team at Dincwear Dancewear have seen.
- Scottish theatres look at re-opening in June after Nicola Sturgeon outlines the roadmap of easing Corona restrictions.
- Oliver Dowden, the Culture Secretary, said that he is exploring the idea of Covid Certification as a possible solution to getting mass events without social distancing back up and running.
- The Northern Ballet announced that the world premiere of “Merlin“, a new ballet by Drew McOnie, will take place at the Royal Nottingham Theatre on the 25th of September 2021. Rehearsals began this week.
- “Anything Goes” at the Barbican will begin its 12 week run on July the 23rd.
- “Billionaire Boy” by David Walliams is opening at The Garrick Theatre from the 17th of July to the 22nd of August. Choreography is by Rae Piper & Paul Chantry.
- “Jersey Boys” will re-open at the New Trafalgar Theatre in July.
- “The Lion King” will re-open on the 29th of July.
- “Pretty Woman” will re-open in the West End on July the 18th at The Savoy Theatre with the same cast.
- Studio productions of “Little Shop Of Horrors” & “Avenue Q” will open at the Old Joint Stock Theatre in Birmingham in the Summer.
- “Can You Dance” announced that its regional shows will be going ahead this year and that the dates will be released later this week.
- “The Swan“, starring Constance Devernay & dancers from the Scottish Ballet, won Best Experimental Film at the Manchester Film Festival. Choreography by David Dawson.
- Sadlers Wells announced an open call for its new Artist Residencies Programme available to:
1/ Artists recently embarked on a career in dance. (A grant of £800 and a bursary of £200)
2/ Artists with 5 years experience or more in dance. ( A grant of £2,000 and a bursary of £500)
Further details on the Sadlers Wells website.
Future Dance News
- On Saturday the Chantry Dance Company launches its new dance film in collaboration with the Guildhall Art Centre at 9.00 on the Guildhall Arts Centre Facebook Page.
- On the 25th of March, the Dutch National Ballet will stream Hans Van Manen’s “In And Out” danced by the Junior company and available on its YouTube channel.
- BOP Jazz UK will Livestream its dance performance from the Curve Theatre, Leicester, on May the 5th.
- The Rambert is performing “Rooms” online from the 8th – 11th of April. Further details on the Rambert website.
- The Dutch National Ballet presents the programme “Spring Special” on Monday the 5th of April. This is a programme of duets featuring the company’s principal dancers.
- Akram Khan’s “Jungle Book Reimagined” is to premiere at the Curve Theatre, Leicester, in April 2022.
- The first “Women In Dance” awards will take place on Friday evening presented by Graham Watts. It is available to watch on: www.awadance.org
- “An Evening With Arlene Phillips” will take place at the Duchess Theatre on the 7th of June.
- The “Magic Mike” arena tour will open in Belfast on May the 6th 2022. Choreography is by Alison Faulk, Teresa Espinosa & Luke Broadlick.
- The “Choreographic Casting Initiative” is launching in July produced by Philip Joel in association with the Platinum Academy. It is looking “for 10 up & coming talented choreographers from underrepresented ethnicities to participate in a choreographic showcase in July.
- The West End production of “Moulin Rouge” has put a call out advertising a variety of backstage roles ahead of opening in the Autumn.
- The Rambert School is looking to appoint a Head of Marketing.
Online Dance Classes
- Jenny Finney has an open Commercial dance class on the 29th of March at 6.00 for £5. This is aimed at the Intermediate/Advanced level. Message Jenny on her Facebook page to book.
- Nafisah Baba is holding a Contemporary class at Danceworks on Saturday from 1.00 – 2.30. There is a link in Nafisah’s Instagram Bio to book.
Film And Video
- We spotted Sophie Gamble, Emily Langdon, Bethany Huckle & Sarah Marie Maxwell on ITV’s “All Star Musicals“. The choreography was by Bill Deamer and Kylie Anne Cruickshanks.
- Jazz Peters worked as a stunt woman on the film “Cruella“.
So lots of things are definitely underway – as our weekly newsletter keeps getting longer! We hope that you have seen something that is of interest to you and we will be back again next week.
That is all for this week from the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.