All the latest news from Dincwear Pro Dancewear.
Eurovision 2023: Mae Muller has been chosen to represent the UK.
Mae Muller has been chosen as the United Kingdom’s entry for Eurovision 2023! The 25-year-old will be performing her own track called ‘I Wrote A Song’ at the competition in Liverpool in May. She’ll be hoping to follow the success of Sam Ryder who came second in the competition last year. Mae is the first female entrant for the UK since 2018, when the artist SuRie competed with Storm and came 24th.
Mae Muller was chosen by BBC bosses and global management company TaP Music, which has counted Lana Del Rey and Ellie Goulding among its clients. It’s the same way last year’s singer, Sam Ryder, was chosen as the UK entrant – and look how successful that was! Usually Eurovision entries are either chosen this way behind the scenes, but some countries (including the UK in the past) hold a TV show with the winner getting to perform at the competition.
Eurovision will be held in Liverpool between 9 May and 11 May with the Grand Final on 13 May.
Nile and Olivia Win Dancing on Ice 2023.
The Dancing on Ice winners have been crowned! This year’s champions are ex-Olympic gymnast Nile Wilson and his professional skating partner Olivia Smart. They have impressed the judges the entire series, with Nile incorporating some gravity-defying stunts into many of their routines. He beat The Vivienne from RuPaul’s Drag Race and reality TV star Joey Essex in the final showdown.
Nile thanked everyone who voted for him and said:
“What an inspirational show. If you put your mind to something and you work hard you can achieve anything you want.”
“We got to skate the most iconic ice dance of all time. And I knew this was Oliva’s dream as well. What an absolute pleasure, what a process it’s been. We’ve put our all into it and we gave 110% and you can see how much it means to us.”
Joey Essex and his partner Vanessa finished second, with The Vivienne coming third, but all three couples were awarded a perfect score of 40 during the final show.
Nile and Olivia made it through to the final having never been in the skate-off. He also became the first male celebrity skater to perform the terrifying “headbanger” – a controversial move where a skater is swung around in a circle by their feet, with their head narrowly missing the ice. The move is banned in professional skating arenas but is allowed in special exhibition performances.
Nile becomes the second Olympic gymnast to life the DOI trophy, after Beth Tweddle also won in 2013.
Breakin’ Convention Returns To Blackpool Grand.
The breathtaking Breakin’ Convention is back at Blackpool Grand Theatre on Saturday 10 June with MC Jonzi D’s ground-breaking world festival of hip hop dance theatre.
Expect incredibly skilled and inspiring performances from internationally celebrated poppers, lockers, b-boys and b-girls in a box fresh festival for 2023 that showcases local talent alongside global sensations.
Breakin’ Convention is the critically acclaimed powerhouse behind a hip hop theatre revolution. Hosted and curated by UK hip hop theatre legend and Breakin’ Convention Artistic Director Jonzi D, the festival also features DJs, graffiti artists and freestyle sessions taking place all over the building! This is one exhilarating dance event that’s not to be missed.
Since its thrilling inception, Breakin’ Convention has represented the origins and evolution of hip hop culture from around the world and around the corner. Working with the most respected, innovative and inspirational artists, Breakin’ Convention is at the vanguard of the global development of the hip hop theatre genre, through its world-renowned festivals, international touring, professional development, youth projects and educational programme.
Since founding Breakin’ Convention, Jonzi has triumphed in raising the profile and giving a platform to hip hop disciplines, and through the professional development projects Open Art Surgery and Back to the Lab, Jonzi has supported hundreds of hip hop dance and rap/poetry artists on their journey to creating theatre.
Freestyle to The Grand and book your tickets for Breakin’ Convention 2023 now! Breakin’ Convention is at Blackpool Grand Theatre on Saturday 10 June at 7pm.
Visit their website or call the box office on 01253 290 190 for bookings and further information. Tickets from £12.50 with concession, family tickets and group rates available.
Elvis stage musical plans confirmed by Baz Luhrmann.
Baz Luhrmann’s plans are progressing quickly for the stage version of Elvis.
The film may not have picked up any Oscars, but it seems as though it may be destined to follow in the footsteps of shows like Moulin Rouge! or Strictly Ballroom and find its way to the stage.
Speaking on the red carpet at the Oscars, Luhrmann said: “It will be a bit like Moulin Rouge!. There will be an Elvis stage musical. We’re getting into that now.” Shedding more light on plans, Luhrmann ruled himself out of the director’s chair for the stage production, though said he would produce it.
Moulin Rouge! and Strictly Ballroom are both produced on stage by Australian company Global Creatures, though it is unknown if the organisation will spearhead the Elvis stage show. Locations, dates and casting are to be confirmed.
It isn’t unusual for Luhrmann to not direct stage versions of his films. Alex Timbers (Beetlejuice, Here Lies Love) was responsible for bringing Moulin Rouge! to the stage, so may be a natural fit for the Elvis gig.
Moulin Rouge! continues to play both in the West End and on Broadway, while a Strictly Ballroom revival is currently touring the UK and Ireland.
Elvis, released in 2022, stars Austin Butler and Tom Hanks and charts the rise and fall of the seminal music maker.
MJ the Musical announces West End dates and details.
Details have been revealed for the arrival of MJ the Musical.
Winner of four Tony Awards, the show is currently playing on Broadway and follows the life and work of the famous singer Michael Jackson, centring around the famous 1992 Dangerous World Tour.
The piece is penned by Lynn Nottage (Sweat) and directed and choreographed by Royal Ballet associate artist Christopher Wheeldon. The creative team also includes designer Derek McLane, costume designer Paul Tazewell, sound designer Gareth Owen, projection designer Peter Nigrini and hair and wig designer Charles LaPointe.
Musical supervision is by David Holcenberg and the orchestrations and arrangements are by David Holcenberg and Jason Michael Webb.
With casting to be revealed, the show will run at the Prince Edward Theatre from 6 March 2024, with a press night on 27 March 2024. Tickets will go on general sale on 24 May 2023. The venue is set to play host to Ain’t Too Proud from later this month.
General News & Sighting
- The upcoming film of “Wicked” has been criticised by Dancers Network UK for keeping dancers on standby – a practice called “pencilling”- for long periods of time, without letting them know whether or not they have got the job. (The Stage)
- Darcey Bussell has been appointed Chair of the Board at the Theatre Royal Plymouth.
- Janette Manrara will be hosting “Disney 100: The Concert” at the O2 in London on the 4th of June.
- New tour casting has been announced for “Six – The Musical”. The dance captain is Shakira Simpson. Choreography is by Carrie-Anne Ingrouille. The new company begins in Tunbridge Wells on the 25th of April.
- Baz Luhrmann has stated that there will be a musical stage version of his film “Elvis”.
- The full cast has been announced for “Mrs Doubtfire”. It will open in the West End on the 12th of May. The choreography is by Lorin Laterro.
- “MJ – The Musical” has announced that it will open at the Prince Edward theatre on the 6th of March. It is being directed and choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon.
- “The Phantom of the Opera” announced that it will be extending its run in the West End until March 2024.
- “Pretty Woman” will close on the 18th of June. Oliver Tompsett is taking over from Danny Mac on the 4th of April. Choreography is by Jerry Mitchell.
- The UK entry for Eurovision 2023 is Mae Muller.
- Lynn Seymour, one of the great dancers with the Royal Ballet, passed away on the 7th of March, just before her 84th birthday.
Future Dance Events News
- A new musical based on the life and work of Frank Sinatra will open at the Birmingham Rep on the 23rd of September. The director and choreographer is Kathleen Marshall.
- The lead cast has been unveiled for “We Will Rock You” opening in the West End. It will star Lee Mead and Brenda Edwards.
- The upcoming “Wicked” tour has announced its lead casting. Laura Pick will play Elphaba. The show will open in Edinburgh on the 7th of December. The choreography is by Wayne Cilento.
- “Jesus Christ Superstar” will tour the UK in 2023/4 opening in Manchester this September. The choreography is by Drew McOnie.
- “The Wizard of Oz” will embark on a UK tour at Liverpool Empire on the 13th of December. The choreography is by Shay Barclay.
- The UDO British Dance Festival will take place in Blackpool from the 17th – 19th of March.
- The first headline acts have been announced for this years “Breakin Convention” at Sadlers Wells from the 28th of April until the 1st of May.
- “Come From Away” has confirmed plans for a new tour beginning in March 2024. The choreography is by Tara Wilkinson and Kirsty Malpas.
- Christopher Tendai is producing and choreographing “Wonderland In Alice” which will premiere at the Peckham Theatre in London on the 6th of April.
- Chantry Dance Company will be performing “Ghost Dances” on the 25th & 26th of April at the Guildhall Arts Centre.
- “Bat Out Of Hell” will play at the Peacock Theatre in London from the 17th of February until the 1st of April. It will then tour the UK, opening in Cornwall on the 25th of September. The choreography has been adapted by Xena Gusthart.
- “Grease” will return to the Dominion Theatre in the West End from the 2nd of June. The choreography is by Arlene Phillips.
- The musical version of “Rebecca” will play at the Charing Cross theatre in London on the 4th of September.
- Cheryl Cole has been cast for “2.22 A Ghost Story” in the West End.
Auditions & Vacancies
- “MJ – The Musical” is holding open auditions for exceptional male singers/dancers to portray and cover the role of Michael Jackson. Visit the website for more details: www.mjthemusical.com
- Royal Caribbean is auditioning for its production of “Cats”. Visit www.royalcaribbeanproductions.com for audition details.
- Bourne Leisure is holding open auditions for its various productions on the 20th of March at the Pineapple Studios in London. Registration begins at 9.30am.
- Butlins is casting for male and female dancers to perform in its shows for 2023. See the website for further details.
- Bird College is looking for a Musical Theatre tutor to work 3 days a week in September. Contact the College for further details.
- Thursford Christmas Spectacular is auditioning for dancers on the 19th & 20th of June at the Pineapple Dance Studios in London. To register your interest, go to: www.thursfordjobs.com
- The Hong Kong Academy For Performing Arts is looking for a Head of Contemporary Dance. The deadline for applications is the 20th of March. Visit the website for further details: www.hkapa.edu/
- The Boury Academy and Studios is looking for dance teachers in Vauxhall. For more information, contact: email@example.com
- Burn The Floor is looking for exceptional ballroom dancers. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dancewest Festival (formerly the Ignition Dance Festival) is offering established dance artists £5,000 to create a new work for the festival. It is also offering emerging dance artists £1,750 to create a new work for the community dance platforms. Have a look at the website for further details.
- Propel Dance, a new professional wheelchair dance company in Birmingham, is recruiting a performer who identifies as disabled to join its new 2023 theatre production. For more information, email: info@email@example.com
- Dane Bates has opened applications for his 5 day “Inspiro” contemporary dance programme in Liverpool. For more information, contact Dane on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Platinum Academy in North London is extending its list of guest teachers. To apply, contact: email@example.com
- Strictly star Johannes Radebe is offering a Heels class at Heaven Nightclub in London on the 7th of June.
- Emma Levene is offering a pop up Contemporary / Lyrical collaboration workshop on the 20th of March at 6.30pm at the Base Dance Studios in London. You can book your place on the Base app.
- Danceworks have got Fumi Kaneko, Principle dancer with the Royal Ballet, giving a classical ballet masterclass on the 2nd of April from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Carrie Willis is giving a Jazz class at the Dance Attic studios on the 16th of March from 6.15 – 8.15pm.
- Anita Mannings is starting a Contemporary Jazz Class (Int) on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 9.55pm at the Flow Dance Studios in Oval.
- Kimberly Wyatt is holding an Easter Intensive at her dance academy in Addlestone, Surrey on the 14th of April.
- Applications are open for the Lukas McFarlane Intensive. The deadline for applications is the 17th of March. For more information, contact: www.untitleddance.com
- Mica Bradbury is teaching a Royal Ballet Technique class on the 26th of March at the Royal Opera House from 2.30 – 5.30pm. For more information, contact Mica on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bethany Entwistle is teaching a class each Tuesday from 8.15 – 9.30pm at the Dance House in Leeds.
- Tracey Iliffe is doing a “Parisian Showgirl Technique” class at Pineapple Dance Studios on the 19th of March from 12.30 – 2.00pm.
- Emma Levene is offering a General Ballet Core and Stretch Contemporary class at Forest Gate Community School on Thursdays from 7.00 – 8.00pm. Email to book: email@example.com
- Michael Naylor is teaching a new class on Thursdays at the Base Dance Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm. Book via the Base app.
- Alexandre Novelli is offering a Beginners Commercial for Adults class every Tuesday at her Novelli Studios from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Shelley Ann is doing a 2 hour Lyrical / Contemporary & Commercial workshop at the Flash in Welshpool on the 14th of April. To reserve a place: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amy Ireland has a Commercial Tap class at Pineapple Dance Studios in London on Thursdays at 12.15pm and a Contemporary Jazz class at 1.15pm. On Fridays Amy teaches Beginners Tap at 10.15am.
- Erica Mulkern is hosting an Easter Dance Workshop on the 12th of April from 10.00am – 1.00pm at the Abinitio School of Dance in Brighouse. To book your place, email Erica on: email@example.com
- Nafisah Baba is teaching a weekly Lyrical Contemporary Intermediate / Advanced class at Danceworks in London every Tuesday from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Lucy Jane Adcock is teaching a Show Tap class at Base Dance Studios on Wednesdays at 11.30am.
- Poppy Tremlett is offering an Improvers Choreography class at Base Dance Studios on Tuesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm.
- Rachel Bolsworth is teaching an Absolute Beginners Heels class from 7.00 – 8.00pm on Tuesdays and an Improvers Beginners Heels class on Monday from 8.30 – 9.30pm at Pineapple Dance Studios.
- Hannah Cleeve is giving a Heels Technique class on Wednesdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm each week at the Base Dance Studios.
- Jazz Dance Rewired will present a 2 day programme of jazz dance theatre at the Place in London on the 27th of May and the 3rd of June.
- Kamila Zalewska is teaching at the Base Studios in London on Mondays from 4.00 – 5.25pm for intermediate/advanced level. Book on the Base app.
Film And Video
- Production on “Beetlejuice 2” is aiming to begin filming in London in May.
- Disney released a full length trailer for “The Little Mermaid”. It will open in cinemas on the 26th of May.
- We spotted Oluwatosin, Emma Atkins & Allie Athanasio in the latest advert for Freemans.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.