All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
BBC Strictly Come Dancing star Karen Hauer announces she’s married after secret wedding.
BBC Strictly Come Dancing star Karen Hauer has married her partner. Karen has announced she’s married her partner Jordan Wyn-Jones.
Speaking to the press, Karen said: “It feels like a fairytale day. It felt so special to bring our families and friends together. I haven’t seen my family for the last two years so it’s really touching to bring them here and be able to share this amazing moment with them.”
Back in April, Jordan paid a gushing tribute to Karen. To mark her birthday, he wrote: “Here’s to many more. Here’s to creating memories with you. Here’s to giggling like idiots through life, here’s to always being cheeky together.
Strictly Come Dancing star Gorka Marquez pulls out of live shows as injury leaves him struggling to walk.
Gorka Marquez has pulled out of the upcoming Strictly Come Dancing summer tour, with Cameron Lombard stepping in.
The Strictly Presents: Keep Dancing shows are due to kick off later this month, though pro-Gorka has been forced to exit due to an injury.
“I’m very disappointed not to be able to join the tour, but I must follow medical advice and rest and recuperate,” the dancer said. “I’ll be cheering everyone on from home. Audiences are in for a real treat!”
Gorka will be replaced by Strictly dancer Cameron Lombard. He said: “It’s a real thrill for me to be joining this new Strictly tour.
Dirty Dancing to return to the West End.
The show will be back at the Dominion Theatre!
No one puts baby in the corner – but they do put Dirty Dancing back in the Dominion Theatre!
Directed by Federico Bellone with choreography by Austin Wilks, the piece is based on the blockbuster film and follows Baby and Johnny, two fiercely independent young spirits from two completely different worlds, whose paths cross at Kellerman’s vacation resort during a summer that will change their lives forever.
The stage show also features hit songs from the movie, including “Hungry Eyes”, “Do You Love Me?”, “Hey! Baby” and, of course, “(I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life”. The show previously ran earlier this year in the West End.
Producer Karl Sydow said: “We can’t wait to bring this amazing show back to the Dominion Theatre following its incredible audience reception earlier this year. Now more than ever, theatre needs the excitement and joy that Dirty Dancing brings – you’ll have the time of your life!”. Casting for the show is to be revealed.
It is set to run from 21 January to 29 April 2023.
Dear Evan Hansen to close on Broadway.
The Broadway production of Benj Pasek, Justin Paul, and Steven Levenson’s award-winning musical Dear Evan Hansen will end its run at the Music Box Theatre on 18 September.
At closing, it will have played 1,678 regular performances and 21 preview performances.
Directed by Michael Greif, the show opened on December 4, 2016. A West End production opened in 2019, with that show also set to close this autumn.
Dear Evan Hansen features choreography by Danny Mefford. Scenic design is by David Korins, costume design by Emily Rebholz, lighting design by Japhy Weideman, sound design by Nevin Steinberg, and projection design by Peter Nigrini. The musical director is Ben Cohn and the music supervisor is Alex Lacamoire.
The original cast of Six reunites for the filmed version of the musical.
The West End production of Six is to be filmed for release, it has been announced.
The three-time WhatsOnStage Award-winning musical, penned by Toby Marlow and Lucy Moss, was first seen in 2017 and has wowed audiences all over the globe. It tells the story of the six queens of Henry VIII as they battle it out to see who had the hardest time under the infamous monarch.
It was first seen at the Arts Theatre, before transferring to the Lyric Theatre in 2020 and then onto the Vaudeville Theatre, its “forever home”, last year. Streamed millions of times across various platforms, the show features celebrated hits like “Don’t Lose Ur Head”, “Heart of Stone”, “Six” and “Ex-Wives”.
The upcoming recording will be taking place at the Vaudeville Theatre in the West End, where performances will be suspended from 27 June to 1 July. The filming itself is to be directed by Liz Clare, who most recently directed Adele – Live at the London Palladium. On the final day, a live audience will sit and watch the show from the venue
Appearing for the show will be the original West End cast, composed of Jarnéia Richard-Noel (Catherine of Aragon), Millie O’Connell (Anne Boleyn), Natalie Paris (Jane Seymour), Alexia McIntosh (Anna of Cleves), Aimie Atkinson (Katherine Howard) and Maiya Quansah-Breed (Catherine Parr).
Queen’s Jubilee birthday honours: Nottingham theatre boss gets MBE.
One of the highest-profile figures in the Nottingham creative arts scene has been recognised in the Queen’s birthday honours.
Stephanie Sirr, chief executive of Nottingham Playhouse and Joint President of UK Theatre, has been appointed MBE for services to the arts. During the Covid pandemic, she was a vocal advocate for the importance of regional theatre in the UK. Ms Sirr said she was fortunate to work with “some really brilliant people”.
Ms Sirr has been in post at the Nottingham Playhouse since 2001 and President of UK Theatre since 2021. Before this, she ran Blackpool Grand Theatre for five years and the Merlin Theatre for two years and had worked as an actress for five years, and a stage manager for two. She said: “I am really honoured to receive an MBE.
“It underlines how fortunate I have been to work alongside some really brilliant people over many years.
“This has enabled some transformative creative work to happen in and for the many communities I have been privileged to serve.”
Adam Penford, the artistic director of the Playhouse, said: “Stephanie’s contribution to Nottingham Playhouse and the arts and cultural sector over the years has been immense. “She steered the ship through the pandemic with dedication and fortitude.
“A keen champion of diversity and young people in particular, she has had a big impact on increasing opportunities and ensuring the industry is a more representative place.”
General News & Sighting
- Strictly star Karen Hauer got secretly married to Jordan this week. (See Headline News For More Details)
- Congratulations to the team of choreographers who worked on the Jubilee Party At The Palace: Jerry Reeve, Lukas McFarlane, Lisa Spencer, Matt Flint & Lizzy Gough. The contract was with the Kutes Agency.
- Congratulations to the dancers who worked on the Jubilee Party At The Palace. We spotted: Kieran D-W, Aaliyah Sharnell, Alexandre Novelli, Anders Deeno, Carmelle Rudder, Elise Pinel, Martha Gimson, Li Li Hodge, Jamie Mason, Eliot Richardson, Sofia Adams & Neal Piron.
- We spotted Lauren Cuthbertson & Reece Clarke of the Royal Ballet performing at the Party At The Palace.
- Congratulations to the dancers working on the National Lottery’s Big Jubilee Street Party. We spotted: Andrew Hamshire, Austyn Farrell, Crystal Hantig, Yasmin Harrison, India Hope, Sarah Seville, Ffion Rees, Leah Hill & Myles Newland. The choreographer was Mark Jennings and the contract was with Mass Movement.
- West End musicals took to the stage at the Party At The Palace. Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber curated the segment with Lin-Manuel Miranda. It included “Phantom”, “Hamilton”, “Six”, “The Lion King” & ” The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat”.
- We spotted Sophie Ferrero teaching at Wembley Park for the Jubilee.
- New dates have been added to the current tour of “Jersey Boys”. Casting for the second leg of the tour will be announced shortly. The choreography is by Sergio Trujillo.
- “Pretty Woman” has extended its run at the Savoy Theatre in the West End until the 28th of January 2023 as new cast members are announced.
- Emma Harris made West End history by going on as Madam Giry at “The Phantom Of The Opera” this week – 24 years after Emma had played Meg Giry. So Emma is the first person to play both the Mother and the Daughter.
- The new musical “Identical” unveiled it’s complete cast. It will run at the Nottingham Playhouse from the 26th of July until the 14th of August. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- We spotted the following dancers working on this season’s “Britains Got Talent”: Alex Paul Brown, Brett Sewell, Ryan Elson, Joy Duckrill, Mina Neighbour, Crystal Hantig, Logan Roach, Natasha Scrase, Kane Klendjian, Poppy Stribley, Liv Quantrill & Summer Villiers. The choreography was by Nikki Trow.
- “An Evening With Amy Dowden” will take place at the Bedwas Workman’s Hall on the 17th of June at 7.45pm.
- Strictly star Gorka has had to withdraw from the forthcoming “Strictly Presents: Keep Dancing” tour with a back injury. Gorka will be replaced by Cameron Lombard. (See Headline News For More Details)
- The recipients of this year’s MGC Futures bursaries are: Jennifer Jackson (choreography) and Nada Sewnauth received the Dance Artist award.
- The Broadway production of “Come From Away” will end on the 2nd of October after 1670 performances. “Dear Evan Hanson” is also closing on Broadway after 1678 performances.
Future Dance Events News
- Disney’s musical “Newsies” will begin at the Troubadour Theatre Wembley Park on the 29th of November, with an official premiere on the 8th of December. Direction and choreography is by Matt Cole, with Jane McMurtrie as Associate Choreographer.
- A new production of “Shrek The Musical” announced a UK tour from July 2023. Nick Winston will be the choreographer.
- “Dirty Dancing” is to return to the Dominion Theatre on the 21st of January 2023. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- A new production of “From Here To Eternity” is coming to the Charing Cross Theatre from the 29th of October. Cressida Carre will be the choreographer.
- “The Lion King” extends its Manchester run by 7 weeks. The choreographer is Garth Fagan.
- The complete cast and creatives have been revealed for Chichester Festival’s revival of “Crazy For You”. Susan Stroman will direct and choreograph the production. It will run from the 11th of July until the 4th of September.
- A star-studded “Sondheim” concert is to take place at the Cadogan Hall in London on the 23rd of July.
- To mark the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham this summer, the Birmingham Royal Ballet is presenting a triple bill of “On Your Marks”, “Interlinked”, and “Lazuli Sky”.
- Casting has been announced for the new UK tour of “Strictly Ballroom”. It will star Kevin Clifton and Maisie Smith and begin in Portsmouth on the 26th of September.
- ZooNation are celebrating 20 years at Sadlers Wells from the 5th until the 8th of October.
- Giovanni Pernice is doing “Shall We Dance – An Evening With Giovanni Pernice” at the Clapham Grand in London on the 10th of July.
- Three musical concerts will take place in August at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, in London. The first will be the concert version of “Chess” on the 1st of August, starring Hadley Fraser & Samantha Barks.The Director and Choreographer is Nick Winston and Alexzandria Sarmiento. On the 8th of August it will be “Kinky Boots” starring Cedric Neil & Courtney Bowman. Finally on the 22nd of August there is a new musical called “Treason”, with choreography by Taylor Walker.
- The Edinburgh Festival takes place from the 5th of August until the 28th of August this year. Dance highlights include Scottish Ballet’s “Coppelia”, Akram Khan’s new “Jungle Book Reimagined”, the UK premiere of Kyle Abraham’s “An Untitled Love” plus Aakash Odedra’s “Samsara”.
- The “Secret Garden” musical is to be staged at the London Palladium on the 28th of August. It will be directed by Nick Winston.
- Joanna Goodwin will be directing and choreographing “I Wish My Life Were Like A Musical” this year at the Edinburgh Festival with performances from the 3rd to the 28th of August.
- Brit Award winner Becky Hill makes her Ibiza Rocks debut this summer with a 6 weeks residency.
- Sir Ian McKellen is to perform alongside ballet dancers in a new show based on “Hamlet” at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- West End Live will take place on the 25th & 26th of June in Trafalgar Square London.
- A new “Strictly Presents” tour was announced. It will feature contestants Maisie Smith & Rhys Stephenson, who will be joined by Strictly pro dancers Neil, Cameron, Jowita & Nancy. The show will tour in June and July.
- The original cast of “Six The Musical” will re-unite for 6 performances at Hampton Court Palace on the 19th & 20th of June. The choreography is by Carrie-Anne Ingrouille.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
Auditions & Vacancies
- Classified Entertainment (Christabelle Huddleston) has an audition on the 25th & 26th of June for representation. To apply go to: www.classifiedent.com/auditions
- The Place in London is looking for Professional Dance Teachers. Visit the website for further details and how to apply.
- One Dance UK and the University of Coventry is looking for 20 freelance dancers to take part in a research project in Bristol on the 13th of July. The fee is £170 + expences. Visit the University of Coventry website to apply by the 13th of June..
- Choreographer Philip Joel is looking for 30 dancers for a paid Flash Mob. The rehearsals and performance are in Central London on the 12th & 13th of June. Contact: Philipjoel@platinumacademy.co.uk
- Adrian Gas is looking for dancers to join the cast of the Ibiza Cabaret Show in London. The auditions are on the 14th, 15th & 16th of June in Central London and are by invitation only. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sweetshop Revolution is looking for dancers for several upcoming projects. The auditions are on the 11th and 12th of June in London. For more information, contact: email@example.com
- Winchester Theatre Arts is looking for a dance teacher. This is a permanent position starting in September. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- One Dance UK is seeking an experienced Project Manager. Enquiries and applications should be directed to: email@example.com
- English National Ballet has launched a global search for a new Artistic Director to replace Tamara Rojo CBE. For more information visit: www.odgers.com/85718
- Auditions for this years Thursford Christmas Spectacular are on the 20th & 21st of June. Go to www.thursfordjobs.com for more details.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mica Bradbury of The Royal Ballet is teaching “A Masterclass With Mica” at the Royal Opera House on the 29th of July from 2.00 – 5.00pm. Included is an exclusive “A Day In The Life Of A Royal Ballet Dancer”. For more details, email: email@example.com
- Alyx Steele is putting on a workshop on the 12th of June from 12.00pm – 3.00pm at Dance Attic in London. Message Alyx on Instagram to book your space.
- Nick Winston is doing 6 individual workshops over 2 days on the 9th and 10th of June at the Hub Studios in London for £15. Download the Hub Studios app to book.
- London Studio Centre announced the line up of teachers for its Commercial Dance Summer Intensive. These are: Briony Albert, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer, Randall Watson, Josh Denyer & John Graham. It will take place from the 8th of August until the 12th of August.
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Gaz Davis is offering a 3 day Mentor Programme for pro dancers on the 10th -12th of August in London. Contact Gaz on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Lukas McFarlane will hold an Intensive dance course from the 6th of September to the 15th of September. For more information contact: www.untitleddance.com
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Danceworks in London have a Summer Intensive with Marianela Nunez & Alejandro Parente from the 8th to the 12th of August.
- The TGS Summer Intensive will take place from the 25th to the 29th of July at the Hemingford Pavilion from 10.00 – 3.00pm daily. Collette Guitart (from “Six” & “& Juliet” ) will be the first guest with Michael Andrew Naylor the second guest. Wednesdays guests are Travis Kerry & Nick Kerry from “Hamilton” and on Thursday the guest will be Nikki Trow. On Friday it is Jordi Guitart. To book: email: email@example.com
- Lowri Jackson has a new weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Sophie Haws is offering a Commercial class on Sundays from 6.00 – 7.00pm for £8 at the JD Studio in Southampton.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Fridays from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: email@example.com
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- The West End production of “Six” is to be filmed for cinema release. The recording will take place at the Vaudeville Theatre where performances will be suspended from the 27th of June until the 1st of July. The original West End cast will be appearing in the recording. (See Headline News For More Details)
- We spotted Emily Kenwright in the Seven Dayz music video for “Badder Than Bad”. The choreography is by Claudimar Neto.
- We spotted the following dancers performing with Anastasia at The Mighty Hoopla: Robbie Kmetoni, Adrian Hansel, Yasmin Harrison & Charlie Bruce. The choreography was by Gareth Walker.
- We spotted Victoria Mudima performing with Robbie Williams in Stoke.
- We spotted Zoe Purpuri performing with Sister Sledge in Monte Carlo.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.