All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Aljaž Škorjanec announced that he is set to leave Strictly Come Dancing.
Aljaž Škorjanec has announced that he is set to leave Strictly Come Dancing following nine years on the show as a Professional Dancer. He follows in the footsteps of his wife Janette Manrara, who announced her own departure from the pro lineup last year as she moved into the presenter role for the spin-off show It Takes Two.
In a statement released via social media, Aljaž said: ‘On a beautiful sunny day in May 2013 one phone call changed my life forever!’ It went like this… we would like to offer you a position on @bbcstrictly as a professional dancer. A dream became a reality and it was the biggest opportunity for a 23-year-old boy from Slovenia’
A little while ago I made the tough decision that Strictly 2021 would be my last. The show has given me an opportunity and freedom to create and express myself in front of millions of people every weekend for the last 9 years. ‘It didn’t matter how many beautiful ballrooms I performed in during my competitive career, stepping onto the sacred Strictly floor was the most nervous I had ever been. ‘The love and support I got from the team of producers were second to none. Jason Gilkison, Sarah James, Kim Winston, Jack Gledhill are just a few of the unsung heroes behind the success of the show – I am forever grateful to them!
Nina Carberry has been crowned champion of Ireland’s Dancing With The Stars.
Former Cheltenham Festival-winning jockey Nina Carberry has been crowned champion of Ireland’s Dancing With The Stars. Nina danced her way to victory in the final of the Rte One television show on Sunday evening (27 March) with professional partner Pasquale La Rocca.
The show ran for 12 weeks and included Rugby Union player Jordan Conroy, Paralympic swimmer Ellen Keane, Olympic cyclist Nicolas Roche, singer Erica Cody, and model Missy Keating among its 12-couple celebrity line-up.
In Sunday’s grand final Nina and Pasquale fought off competition from Ellen and her dance partner Stephen Vincent, Erica and Denys Samon, and Jordan and Salome Chachua, scoring a maximum 30 points for their first performance of the evening, a Viennese waltz.
They went on to earn a standing ovation for their final performance to If They Could See Me Now, after which judge Arthur said: “The big question, can you improve on perfection? The answer is yes, you can!”
In a public vote, Nina and Pasquale were crowned champions. Pasquale described Nina as a “dream woman” following the win. “I can’t sum it up. This is an incredible show and I’m delighted to be part of it,” said Nina.
Coppelia ballet gets a modern makeover with live-action dance and animation.
Léo Delibes’ story of a boy lured from his sweetheart by a mechanical doll controlled by an evil genius is moved to the present.
A new adaptation of Léo Delibes’ ballet that blends animation, visual effects and live-action dancing, drawing on the rejigged story and score created for a Dutch National Ballet production of the show from 2008.
Like several other modern productions, this version updates to the present the 19th-century ETA Hoffman-derived story of a village boy lured away from his human sweetheart by a mechanical doll controlled by an evil genius. Instead of a lifesize wind-up toy danced by a prima ballerina, here Coppelia is imagined as an animated dancebot whose high blond beehive with flip curls recalls Lisa Marie’s alien temptress from Mars Attacks! Her controller, Doctor Coppelius (Vito Mazzeo), seems to be offering his services to the townsfolk as a kind of plastic surgeon, but he’s actually using brainwashing techniques to steal their human essences – strength, intelligence and something symbolised by a heart (emotional intelligence? Passion? Emoji power?) – and transfer them into Coppelia.
Coppelia is released on 1 April in cinemas. Click Here To Watch the Trailer.
Trademark row sparks threat to axe Blackpool’s famous dance championships.
The UK’s ruling body for dance competitions has threatened to withdraw its prestigious dance championships from Blackpool in a row with the council over trademarks.
The UK’s ruling body for dance competitions has threatened to withdraw its prestigious dance championships from Blackpool in a row with the council over trademarks.
Organisers of events held at the Winter Gardens including the British ballroom and Latin dance championships are angry the council has applied for ownership of trademarks for 17 competitions.
The British Dance Council says it was not informed of the move and is threatening to withdraw all its competitions, which attract thousands of competitors from across the globe, from the resort.
Records show Blackpool Council applied for the trademarks on February 9 this year, with the applications currently being examined.
The trademarks the council has applied for are British Amateur Ballroom Dancing Championship, British Over 50’s Ballroom Championship, British Professional Ballroom Dancing Championship, British Professional Latin Championship, British Amateur Latin Championship, British Under 21 Years Ballroom Championship, British Under 21 Years Latin Championship, British Senior Latin Championship, British Senior Ballroom Championship, British Professional American Smooth Championship, British American Rhythm Championship, Blackpool Team Match, British Junior Latin Championship, British Junior Ballroom Championship, British Juvenile Latin Championship, British Open Blackpool Dance Festival and The Blackpool Open.
Blackpool is considered to be the home of dancing, thanks to its two famous ballrooms – the Tower Ballroom and the Empress Ballroom in the Winter Gardens.
Scarlett Moffatt and Lorraine Kelly were spotted leaving the dance studio amid rumours they’re on Strictly Come Dancing 2022.
SCARLETT Moffatt and Lorraine Kelly smiled as they left a London dance studio yesterday amid rumours they’ll do Strictly 2022. The TV stars have been linked to the BBC dancing show for years and their names have been bandied about again by bookmakers and fans.
In the past Scarlett has said she’d love to do the show while Lorraine often interviews pro dancers and celebrities from the programme.
General News & Sighting
- The Scottish Ballet has announced its programme for the year ahead, including a number of premieres.
- Strictly star Aljaz is to leave the show after 9 years.
- Pasquale La Rocca and his partner Nina Walsh won “Dancing With The Stars” Ireland.
- It was announced that Sandra Martin will take on the role of Deloris in “Sister Act” on tour. The role will be played by Beverley Knight in London. The tour begins in Dublin on the 20th of September. The choreography is by Alastair David.
- The Underbelly Festival has announced its summer programme for its Earls Court and Cavandish Square venues in London.
- Following an illness to a cast member, Charlotte Coggin stepped into a leading role in “Dirty Dancing” in the West End.
- Ariana DeBose won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Spielberg’s “West Side Story”.
- Urdang Academy, one of the best London dance colleges, is being acquired by City University.
- Our “Dancing Times” for April arrived this week. It has an interesting article on “Freelancers In The UK Dance Industry”. The 3 young Dancers Of The Month are Harriet Mears, Frankie Keita & Annalise Wainwright-Jones from the London Children’s Ballet.
- Strictly’s Giovanni & Rose are nominated for the “Must-See Moment” at the BAFTA TV awards.
- The Northern Ballet School has its “Industry Showcase” on the 31st of March and the 1st of April at The Dancehouse in Manchester.
Future Dance News
- West End Live will take place on the 25th & 26th of June in Trafalgar Square London.
- The Brighton Festival will take place from the 7th of May until the 29th of May. Dance highlights include the Hofesh Shechter Company.
- A new “Strictly Presents” tour was announced. It will feature contestants Maisie Smith & Rhys Stephenson, who will be joined by Strictly pro dancers Neil, Gorka, Jowita & Nancy. The show will tour in June and July.
- The Tony award winning “Titanic The Musical” will embark on a new tour of the UK from March 2023. It will open at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley on the 16th of March 2023. The show is produced by Danielle Tarento.
- The original cast of “Six The Musical” will re-unite for 6 performances at Hampton Court Palace on the 19th & 20th of June. The choreography is by Carrie-Anne Ingrouille.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- The Midland Theatre Ballet presents “Cinderella” at the Crescent Theatre in Birmingham from the 27th of May until the 29th.
- The English Youth Ballet announced its 2022 tour. You can visit its website for more details: englishyouthballet.co.uk
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- Louis Tomlinson cancels his upcoming tour dates in Russia and the Ukraine.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Breakin’ Convention, Sadlers Wells annual festival of Hip Hop, is back for it’s 19th year from the 29th of April until the 1st of May. It will be hosted by Jonzi D.
- The Tribe Showcase will take place on the 28th of May at the Docklands Innovation Park in Dublin. It will be hosted by Lisette Kroll.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Amy Dowden announced her short tour of “An Evening With Amy Dowden” – visiting Port Talbot on the 3rd of April, Exmouth on the 7th of April and Stourbridge on the 12th of April.
- Sir Matt Bourne announced that “The Car Man” will be at the Royal Albert Hall in London from the 9th until the 19th of June.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- Harry Styles announced a UK & European tour starting in Glasgow in June.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- Harry Stiles, Billie Eilish and Kanye West will headline this years Coachella Festival on the 15 – 17th of April & 22 – 24th of April.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
Auditions & Appointments
- Coventry University’s Centre of Dance Research is offering £170 for up to 20 Midlands based freelance dance artists to take part in a focus group on the 27th of April at Coventry University. Contact Helen Laws (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Karen Wood ( email@example.com)
- Vegas Showgirls Germany have an audition for dancers at the Pineapple Studios in London on the 30th of March. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The London College of Performing Arts is looking for a Head of Musical Theatre. Visit the recruitment page of the company website.
- Auditions for this years Thursford Christmas Spectacular are on the 20th & 21st of June. Go to www.thursfordjobs.com for more details.
- The audition for Stuart Bishop’s new dance agency “3Rings” will take place at the Base Studios in London on the 7th of April. The Boys audition will be with Gaz Davis and the Girls audition with Beky Humphreys. Contact the agency for more information on: email@example.com
- Stopgap Dance Company is looking for dancers with strong contemporary skills. The audition is by invitation only on the 20th of April. For more information and to apply, visit the company website. The deadline is the 6th of April.
- Backyard Cinemas are looking for dancers to join it’s Spring/Summer season. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Portland Ballet in the USA is looking for company dancers and apprentices. Audition is by invitation only. The application deadline is the 31st of March. See the company website for further details.
- The Jackie Palmer Stage School is looking for a Dance Teacher to teach Tap, Modern, Ballet and MT. More details are on the website.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: email@example.com
- Joanne Clifton is giving a masterclass at Hyde Festival Theatre on the 22nd of April from 12.30 – 1.45pm at £17.50. Contact: www.lavottaevents.co.uk/dance-workshops
- Josie Lee is doing a Lyrical class at AYAW Studios in Liverpool on the 12th of April from 5.30 – 6.30pm for £8.
- Renako McDonald is giving a Contemporary Jazz 3 hour workshop on the 8th of April from 4.15 – 7.15pm for advanced/professional dancers for £25. Email to book: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lowri Jackson has a new weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: email@example.com
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Keith & Judy Clifton have a new beginners class on the 31st of March at the Toll Bar Academy in New Waltham from 7.30 – 8.30pm for £8.
- Alexandre Novelli is giving a class on Mondays at Rare Studios in Liverpool from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sophie Haws is offering a Commercial class on Sundays from 6.00 – 7.00pm for £8 at the JD Studio in Southampton.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Fridays from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Lizzie McConachie is giving a Commercial class at Pineapple Studios on Tuesdays from 7.30 – 8.30pm.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- The new dance film “Coppelia” had its premiere in London with stars Darcey Bussell, Michaela DePrince & Nancy Burer. It opens in cinemas on the 1st of April.
- “These Are The Special Times” won best music video at the Crystal Palace Film Festival. It stars Chrissy Brooke & Jaih Betote.
- The short dance film “Whoever You Are” by Javier De Frutos has been nominated for “Best Experimental Short” at the 2021 Indie X Film Festival annual awards. The film stars Rae Piper & Paul Chantry.
- The Take That movie “Greatest Day’s” has announced its cast and creatives ahead of shooting next month. It will star Aisling Bea and the boys will be played by Aaron Bryan, Dalvin Corry, Joshua Jung, Mark Samaras & Mervin Noronha.
- Regan Gascoigne won “Dancing On Ice” with his professional partner Karina.
- We spotted Josie Pocock, Crystal Hantig & Lolly Campbell dancing with Michael Buble on ITV’s “Takeaway”. The choreography was by Matt Flint.
- We spotted the following dancers in the music video for Claudia Valentina’s “Extra Agenda”: Jorgia Vaughan, Pearl Whirl & Honey Makwana. The choreography was by Alex Chambers & Kamila Zalewska. The contract was with Mass Movement.
- We spotted Honor Roche dancing at the “Bridgerton” premiere. In the programme we also spotted Renako McDonald, Bex Leung, Abbie Taylor & Katie Webb.
- We spotted Lauren Mcguire & Ash Lloyd performing on “Dancing On Ice”. The choreography was by Bryony Albert and the contract was with Mass Talent.
- We spotted Suzannah Ruth performing at the “Oscars”.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.