All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Cabaret and Life of Pi Sweep Theatre Awards.
The stage adaptation of Life of Pi and a revival of the musical Cabaret were the big winners at Sunday’s Olivier Awards.
It was a jubilant night for theatre at the Royal Albert Hall as the stage industry celebrated a year in which performances resumed after lockdown. Cabaret stars Eddie Redmayne and Jessie Buckley won acting prizes while the show was named best musical revival.
Life of Pi, based on the Booker Prize-winning novel, was named the best new play and scooped several technical prizes. The play’s lead, Hiran Abeysekera, also won the best actor, while the seven performers who play the tiger shared the best supporting actor prize.
Read More Olivier Awards Winners in the General News Section Below
Shrek the Musical to embark on a new tour in 2023.
The much-loved show is back. Shrek the Musical will embark on a new UK tour from July 2023.
Based on William Steig’s children’s book and the Oscar-winning DreamWorks film, Shrek the Musical has a book and lyrics by David Lindsay-Abaire and music by Jeanine Tesori. It premiered on Broadway in 2008 and ran at Theatre Royal Drury Lane in the West End from 2011, before embarking on a tour.
In the West End the show was led by Nigel Lindsay in the title role alongside Amanda Holden as Princess Fiona.
Directed by Nick Winston and Samuel Holmes, this new production of the show will open at Theatre Royal Plymouth on 21 July, with further dates to be announced.
Winston announced the news on his social media, with the Plymouth dates on sale. The Bonnie and Clyde director will also choreograph the piece, which has design by Phil Whitcomb. It is produced by Mark Goucher.
World Irish Dancing Championships return after Covid cancellations.
After an unexpected gap of three long years, some of the most talented Irish dancers are finally getting a chance to compete for a world title.
Belfast is hosting the 50th World Irish Dancing Championships on Sunday, with more than 3,500 competitors taking part in the week-long competition.
The contest was cancelled in 2020 and 2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
It robbed many dancers of the chance to perform on the biggest stage at the height of their competitive careers.
But this year, the contest is back with a bang as organisers host the prestigious event for the 50th time.
The colourful competition is staged by An Coimisiún le Rincí Gaelacha (the Commission of Irish Dancing) which is the biggest and oldest governing body of Irish dancing worldwide.
York Barbican hosting ‘Lord of the Dance’ show.
A POPULAR venue in York is hosting Michael Flatley’s Lord of the Dance show this week – as part of its national tour celebrating its 25th anniversary.
Since its premiere, Michael Flatley’s show has visited over 1000 venues worldwide and been seen by over 60 million people in 60 different countries on every continent.
And now, celebrating 25 years of standing ovations, Lord of the Dance’s 25 city UK tour visits York Barbican this week from Monday until Thursday.
The 2022 tour will bring a fresh new look to the classic favourite. The original elements of the show have been curated by Flatley whilst incorporating the energy of the new cast.
General News & Sighting
- The Strictly Pro dancers started rehearsals for the “Strictly Professionals” tour which begins in Salford in 2 weeks time.
- The Olivier Awards were held at the Royal Albert Hall in London. The winner of the Olivier Award for the “Best New Dance Production” was “Revisor” by Crystal Pite & Johnson Young. Arielle Smith won the award for “Outstanding Achievement In Dance” for her choreography in “Jolly Folly In Reunion” by the English National Ballet at Sadlers Wells.
- The new musical “Tony Blair”, written by Harry Hill & Steve Brown, will open at the Park Theatre in London on the 1st of June and run until the 9th of July. The choreography is by Francesca Jaynes.
- The cast was announced for “The Concrete Jungle Book” hip hop musical. It will run at the Pleasance Theatre in London from the 25th of May until the 11th of June.
- A Festival Of Korean Dance returns to The Place in London for the 5th year.
- Javier Torres is to retire from the Northern Ballet after 12 years with the company.
- Ashley Dixon is stepping down from his role as a Principal Dancer at the Northern Ballet to take up a new position of Principle Character Artist & Assistant Rehearsal Director with the company.
- The Place in London announced the appointment of 2 new members to its Board of Governors: Liz Wilson and Elizabeth Varley.
- Camilla Dallerup was appointed Head Judge on New Zealand’s “Dancing With The Stars”.
- “Beetlejuice” is back on Broadway. This musical comedy is directed by Alex Timbers.
- STOP PRESS – A new production of “Sherlock Holmes” will be choreographed by Akram Khan. The production will be developed in London before embarking on Broadway.
Future Dance News
- “Annie Get Your Gun” will be staged for one night only at the London Palladium on the 1st of June. It will star Amber Davies as Annie.
- Erica Mulhern will perform her show “Suzy Homemaker” at the Lancaster Fringe Festival on the 17th of May at 9.00pm at the Continental in Preston.
- “West End For Ukraine” will take place at the Charing Cross Theatre on the 9th of May, with 100% of the money raised going to UNICEF. Stars taking part include Joanne Clifton & Gina Beck.
- Sir Ian McKellen is to perform alongside ballet dancers in a new show based on “Hamlet” at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- West End Live will take place on the 25th & 26th of June in Trafalgar Square London.
- The Brighton Festival will take place from the 7th of May until the 29th of May. Dance highlights include the Hofesh Shechter Company.
- A new “Strictly Presents” tour was announced. It will feature contestants Maisie Smith & Rhys Stephenson, who will be joined by Strictly pro dancers Neil, Gorka, Jowita & Nancy. The show will tour in June and July.
- The Tony award winning “Titanic The Musical” will embark on a new tour of the UK from March 2023. It will open at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley on the 16th of March 2023. The show is produced by Danielle Tarento.
- The original cast of “Six The Musical” will re-unite for 6 performances at Hampton Court Palace on the 19th & 20th of June. The choreography is by Carrie-Anne Ingrouille.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- The Midland Theatre Ballet presents “Cinderella” at the Crescent Theatre in Birmingham from the 27th of May until the 29th.
- The English Youth Ballet announced its 2022 tour. You can visit its website for more details: englishyouthballet.co.uk
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- Louis Tomlinson cancels his upcoming tour dates in Russia and the Ukraine.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Breakin’ Convention, Sadlers Wells annual festival of Hip Hop, is back for it’s 19th year from the 29th of April until the 1st of May. It will be hosted by Jonzi D.
- The Tribe Showcase will take place on the 28th of May at the Docklands Innovation Park in Dublin. It will be hosted by Lisette Kroll.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- Harry Styles announced a UK & European tour starting in Glasgow in June.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- Harry Stiles, Billie Eilish and Kanye West will headline this years Coachella Festival on the 15 – 17th of April & 22 – 24th of April.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
Auditions & Appointments
- English National Ballet has launched a global search for a new Artistic Director to replace Tamara Rojo CBE. For more information visit: www.odgers.com/85718
- Pearson Casting is casting the US tour of ” 9 To 5 – The Musical”.
- Coventry University’s Centre of Dance Research is offering £170 for up to 20 Midlands based freelance dance artists to take part in a focus group on the 27th of April at Coventry University. Contact Helen Laws (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Karen Wood ( email@example.com)
- Auditions for this years Thursford Christmas Spectacular are on the 20th & 21st of June. Go to www.thursfordjobs.com for more details.
- Backyard Cinemas are looking for dancers to join it’s Spring/Summer season. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Jackie Palmer Stage School is looking for a Dance Teacher to teach Tap, Modern, Ballet and MT. More details are on the website.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: email@example.com
- McLaren Dance Company is offering an Easter Intensive on the 18th of April from 11.00 – 5.30pm at 52A Bank Street, Rossendale. The teachers are: Briony Albert (Commercial), Laura Jayne Fenney (Contemporary), Keeleigh Steffenson (Lyrical) & Tom Langdale (Performance Jazz).
- Hannah Levitt Collins has a Heels class on the 19th of April from 1.30 – 3.30pm at the Base Studios for £15. There is a link in Hannah’s Bio on Instagram to book.
- The TGS Summer Intensive will take place from the 25th to the 29th of July at the Hemingford Pavilion from 10.00 – 3.00pm daily. Collette Guitart (from “Six” & “& Juliet” ) will be the first guest with Michael Andrew Naylor the second guest. Wednesdays guests are Travis Kerry & Nick Kerry from “Hamilton” and on Thursday the guest will be Nikki Trow. To book: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is offering Open classes to professional dancers at Studio 3, Wayne McGregor, London for £30 per class on the 3rd of May (Contemporary), the 4th of May (Ballet) and the 5th of May (Contemporary).
- Joanne Clifton is giving a masterclass at Hyde Festival Theatre on the 22nd of April from 12.30 – 1.45pm at £17.50. Contact: www.lavottaevents.co.uk/dance-workshops
- Lowri Jackson has a new weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: email@example.com
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Alexandre Novelli is giving a class on Mondays at Rare Studios in Liverpool from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sophie Haws is offering a Commercial class on Sundays from 6.00 – 7.00pm for £8 at the JD Studio in Southampton.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Fridays from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- Discovery completed its acquisition of Warner Media this week. The new company will be called Warner Bros Discovery.
- You can stream the “Dance For Ukraine” gala, starring Alina Cojocaru & Ivan Putrov, until the 24th of April on Marquee Arts TV for $14.99. All proceeds will go to the Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal.
- “BBC Young Dancer” begins on Sunday on BBC4 at 7.00pm.
- We spotted Billie-Kay Payne performing with “Anything Goes” at the Olivier Awards.
- We spotted Sarah Seville performing at the O2 Arena in London for Gola. The choreography was by Sharon June and Haley Monaghan. The contract was with AMCK.
- We spotted Patricia Zhou, Kibrea Carmichael, Leah Wallings, Emily Yuen & Lee Bridgeman in the latest advert for Smart. The contract was with AJK.
- We spotted Alex Thirkle dancing with FKA Twigs in “Playscape”. The choreography was by Juliano Nunes.
- We spotted Kayla Rene & Kabuki Johnson performing with Craig David. The choreography was by Kloe Dean.
- We spotted Summer Jay Jones & Shola B Riley dancing for Rina Sawayama in L.A.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
VIEW DINCWEAR’S DANCE & ACTIVEWEAR COLLECTION
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.