All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Burn The Floor Tour Dates.
The original Broadway production of Jason Gilkison’s BURN THE FLOOR is being recreated for a strictly limited tour in July 2022.
THE REUNION features some of the most celebrated alumni of Burn the Floor including Strictly Come Dancing’s Aljaž Škorjanec, Kevin Clifton, Janette Manrara, Karen Hauer, Dianne Buswell, Joanne Clifton, Luba Mushtuk, Kai Widdrington and Robin Windsor, plus more names to be announced.
BURN THE FLOOR is a breath-taking blend of Latin and Ballroom dance first conceived as a special performance at Sir Elton John’s 50th birthday celebration in 1997. Two years in creation, the show made its world premiere in the UK and took the globe by storm, including 9 months breaking box office records on Broadway and 2 seasons in the West End.
The Mary Poppins revival in London’s West End is to close in January 2023.
Originally opening on the West End in 2004, the Mary Poppins Musical is inspired by both the original 1960s Disney film and the books on which it’s based. Mary Poppins tells the story of the Banks family who live in a big house in London on Cherry Lane. In deed of a new nanny for children, Jane and Michael, they find a mysterious young woman is the answer to their prayers, but in the most peculiar way.
The stage adaption features music and lyrics from Richard M. Sherman, Robert B. Sherman, George Stiles and Anthony Drewe with a book by Julian Fellowes.
Zizi Strallen currently leads the cast in the title role alongside Louis Gaunt as Bert and Petula Clark as the Bird Woman. They’re joined by Charlie Anson as George Banks, Amy Griffiths as Winifred Banks, Liz Robertson as Miss Andrew, Claire Machin as Mrs Brill, Jack North as Robertson Ay and Paul F Monaghan as Admiral Boom and Bank Chairman.
Hit West End musical & Juliet is officially on its way to Broadway!.
The jukebox musical has announced plans to open in New York this autumn at the Stephen Sondheim Theatre.
The Broadway production will begin previews on 28 October before an opening night on 17 November. Currently the show is enjoying a pre-Broadway run in Toronto. The cast is led by Lorna Courtney in the title role with Paulo Szot as Lance, Betsy Wolfe as Anne Hathaway, Stark Sands as Shakespeare, Justin David Sullivan as May, Ben Jackson Walker as Romeo and Philippe Arroyo as Francois.
Original West End cast member Melanie La Barrie reprises her role as Nurse.
& Juliet first opened in the West End in November 2019 and has proved a huge hit. The musical retells the iconic Shakespeare tragedy of Romeo and Juliet by asking: what if Juliet’s famous ending was really just her beginning?
The show features a collection of huge pop songs written by Max Martin including Break Free (Ariana Grande), …Baby One More Time (Britney Spears), Teenage Dream (Katy Perry) Everybody (Backstreet Boys), Can’t Feel My Face (The Weeknd) and It’s My Life (Bon Jovi).
On the current cast are Miriam-Teak Lee in the title role with Cassidy Janson as Anne Hathaway, Oliver Tompsett as William Shakespeare, Julius D’Silva as Lance, Tom Francis as Romeo, Malinda Parris as Nurse, Tim Mahendran as Francois and Alex Thomas-Smith as May.
Dido’s Bar will open at The Factory in London’s historic Royal Docks.
A new immersive theatre and music production will open in London this September ahead of a UK tour.
Dido’s Bar will open at The Factory in London’s historic Royal Docks from 23 September – 15 October 2022 before touring to Manchester, Leicester, Portsmouth, and Oxford. Dido’s Bar is an epic retelling of Virgil’s Aeneid, created and performed by a multilingual international ensemble of actor-musicians, bringing to life the classic myth of migration, love, and assimilation, through the eyes of refugees today.
Nightly, divine bar managers, Juno and Venus, welcome world-class artists onto their stage and around their performances, the drama unfolds. The work is inspired by director Josephine Burton’s encounter with Kurdish Iranian refugees and now Finnish resident, and composer Marouf Majidi and is written by Hattie Naylor.
The production has additional composition, music direction & sound design by Riku Kantola, set and costume Design by Bryan Woltjen and movement direction by Ayse Tashkiran. On the cast are Gemma Barnett, Amie Buhari, Simon Edwards, Riku Kantola, Tuukka Leppänen, Lola May, Marouf Majidi, Richie Sweet, Stylianos Thomadakis and Georgina White.
Director Josephine Burton, Artistic Director of Dash said: “The ancient myth of Aeneas, a refugee from the war-torn East who travels across the Mediterranean to seek sanctuary and build a new home in Europe, is truly a tale for our time. “We are bringing it hurtling into the present – setting the drama in a music club on the edge of town, where the heroes of old are now the great music stars of today, with a little jazz and world music thrown in!”
General News & Sighting
- The touring allowance for performers is to be increased by 13% to £300 per week. The increase will be backdated to April, meaning performers could be entitled to £455 in additional pay immediately. (The Stage)
- The United Ukrainian Ballet will perform “Giselle” at the London Coliseum from the 13th to the 17th of September in aid of charities for Ukraine.
- Salome Leverashvili won the Alexandra Radius Prize at the Dutch National Ballet.
- “Moulin Rouge” in the West End has been forced to cancel several performances due to members of the company testing positive for covid.
- New musical “To The Streets” reveals its full casting ahead of the world premiere at the Birmingham Festival. The choreography is by Dannielle “Rhimes” Lecointe.
- Full casting has been announced for the 2 shows of “Kinky Boots” at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane. Hannah Lowther will play Gemma Louise. The shows will take place on the 8th and the 9th of August.
- “Jersey Boys” unveiled its new West End cast. Luke Suri will make his debut as Frankie Valli. The choreography is by Sergio Trujillo.
- The West End productions of “Mary Poppins” and “Come From Away” announced that they will be closing – the former on the 8th of January and the latter on the 7th of January.
- The stars of Burn The Floor started rehearsals for the “Reunion” tour. The tour begins in Shrewsbury on the 12th of July.
- We watched Oti Mabuse’s show “Here I Am”. You can read our review here: https://dincweardancewear.com/oti-mabuse-i-am-here-at-new-victoria-theatre-woking-review/
- Adam Garcia has joined other Australian dance stars like Jason Gilkinson as a new ambassador for Inspired Dance.
- In its 10th anniversary year, the National Youth Dance Company has appointed Wayne McGregor as its Guest Artistic Director.
- The cast has been announced for the world premiere of “The Notebook”. The show will run at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater from the 6th of September until the 16th of October. The choreography is by Katie Spelman.
- The West End musical “& Juliet” will make its Broadway premiere at the Stephen Sondheim theatre on the 17th of November (previews begin on the 28th of October). The choreography is by Jennifer Weber.
- Cira Robinson will be leaving Ballet Black as a performer in December and become the Artistic Director at the Yorkshire Ballet Seminars.
- Marina Keet, dancer and choreographer, passed away on the 24th of June.
Future Dance Events News
- Dolly Parton’s “Smokey Mountain Christmas Carol – A New Musical” will get a European premiere in December at the Southbank Centre in London. It will play from the 8th of December until the 8th of January 2023.
- Further touring dates were announced for the new production of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – The Musical”. It will open at the Leeds Playhouse on the 18th of November.
- Casting was announced for the world premiere of “Mandela”, the new musical at The Young Vic theatre in London. It will star Michael Luwoye as Nelson Mandela and Danielle Fiamanya as Winnie Mandela. The show will run from the 29th of November until the 4th of February 2023. The choreography is by Gregory Maqoma.
- “The Bodyguard” will embark on a new UK tour at Glasgow on the 28th of January 2023.
- Further casting and an additional date has been announced for “Chess The Musical In Concert”. It will now play 2 dates at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane on the 1st and 2nd of August. The Director and Choreographer is Nick Winston. The Associate Director and Choreographer is Alexzandra Sarmiento.
- Casting was announced for the Edinburgh Fringe run of “I Wish My Life Were Like A Musical”. The show will run at the Gilders Ballon from the 3rd of August until the 28th of August. The Direction and Choreography is by Joanna Goodwin.
- Disney’s musical “Newsies” will begin at the Troubadour Theatre Wembley Park on the 29th of November, with an official premiere on the 8th of December. Direction and choreography is by Matt Cole, with Jane McMurtrie as Associate Choreographer.
- A new production of “Shrek The Musical” announced a UK tour from July 2023. Nick Winston will be the choreographer.
- “Dirty Dancing” is to return to the Dominion Theatre on the 21st of January 2023. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- A new production of “From Here To Eternity” is coming to the Charing Cross Theatre from the 29th of October. Cressida Carre will be the choreographer.
- The complete cast and creatives have been revealed for Chichester Festival’s revival of “Crazy For You”. Susan Stroman will direct and choreograph the production. It will run from the 11th of July until the 4th of September.
- A star-studded “Sondheim” concert is to take place at the Cadogan Hall in London on the 23rd of July.
- To mark the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham this summer, the Birmingham Royal Ballet is presenting a triple bill of “On Your Marks”, “Interlinked”, and “Lazuli Sky”.
- Casting has been announced for the new UK tour of “Strictly Ballroom”. It will star Kevin Clifton and Maisie Smith and begin in Portsmouth on the 26th of September.
- ZooNation are celebrating 20 years at Sadlers Wells from the 5th until the 8th of October.
- Giovanni Pernice is doing “Shall We Dance – An Evening With Giovanni Pernice” at the Clapham Grand in London on the 10th of July.
- Three musical concerts will take place in August at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, in London. The first will be the concert version of “Chess” on the 1st of August, starring Hadley Fraser & Samantha Barks.The Director and Choreographer is Nick Winston and Alexzandria Sarmiento. On the 8th of August it will be “Kinky Boots” starring Cedric Neil & Courtney Bowman. Finally on the 22nd of August there is a new musical called “Treason”, with choreography by Taylor Walker.
- The Edinburgh Festival takes place from the 5th of August until the 28th of August this year. Dance highlights include Scottish Ballet’s “Coppelia”, Akram Khan’s new “Jungle Book Reimagined”, the UK premiere of Kyle Abraham’s “An Untitled Love” plus Aakash Odedra’s “Samsara”.
- The “Secret Garden” musical is to be staged at the London Palladium on the 28th of August. It will be directed by Nick Winston.
- Brit Award winner Becky Hill makes her Ibiza Rocks debut this summer with a 6 weeks residency.
- Sir Ian McKellen is to perform alongside ballet dancers in a new show based on “Hamlet” at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- A new “Strictly Presents” tour was announced. It will feature contestants Maisie Smith & Rhys Stephenson, who will be joined by Strictly pro dancers Neil, Cameron, Jowita & Nancy. The show will tour in June and July.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
Auditions & Vacancies
- The London Cabaret Club is holding an open audition for dancers on the 11th of July. Registration is at 9.30 am and recalls at 2.00pm. The minimum height is 170cms for girls and 180cms for boys. For more information contact: email@example.com
- Sam G Creates is looking for a dancer/ theatre performer to join the development and pilot tour of its FWORDZ show this summer. The audition is in Bournemouth on Friday the 5th of August. Deadline for applications is the 21st of July. Visit the website for more information: www.samgcreates.com
- The Three Rings Agency are holding an open audition to find “marketable dancers” on the 25th of August – boys are at 10.00am and girls at 11.30am. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Danilczuk, winner of “The Greatest Dancer”, is looking for a dance teacher for his studio. Contact: email@example.com for further details.
- CTC dance Company (Christopher Tendai) is looking for dancers in London for August. You will need at least 3 years of professional training. The deadline is the 15th of July. For more information visit: www.ctcdancecompany.com
- Three Rings Agency is looking for dancers for show contracts in Las Vegas. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pontins is looking for dancers to join their entertainment teams around the UK. Find out more and apply to: email@example.com
- Frankly Speaking Productions is looking for 2 male dancers for its September 2022 UK tour of “Tom’s Midnight Garden”. The deadline for applications is the 8th of July. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drew McOnie is looking for female dancers for a paid creative development period. They must be available from the 25th to the 29th of July and the 1st of August. It is in Central London. For further deails contact: email@example.com
- The Place in London is looking for Professional Dance Teachers. Visit the website for further details and how to apply.
- Winchester Theatre Arts is looking for a dance teacher. This is a permanent position starting in September. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- One Dance UK is seeking an experienced Project Manager. Enquiries and applications should be directed to: email@example.com
- English National Ballet has launched a global search for a new Artistic Director to replace Tamara Rojo CBE. For more information visit: www.odgers.com/85718.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chrissy Brooke is teaching on the 16th of August at the Forte Studios in Little Hadham. The Juniors will be from 10.00 – 11.30am for £15 and the Seniors from 11.30 – 3.30pm for £30. Contact: www.forte.studio.performingarts
- The Oti and Marius Dance Studio is presenting a “Night of the Stars – An Evening of Dance” with showcases and competitions on Saturday the 23rd of July from 7.00 – 11.00pm.
- Renako McDonald is doing a 3 hour open workshop on Sunday the 10th of July from 10.30 -1.30pm at The Place in London for advanced level dancers for £30 (students £5). To book contact: Renakomc@hotmail.com
- Antonia Catriona Eloisa DiCarlo is teaching a Heels class on the 21st of July at the Everlast Gym in Inverness at 7.30pm. To book, contact: 07563804572
- Charlie Bruce, winner of “So You Think You Can Dance”, is offering a Jazz & Contemporary workshop on the 13th of August for £6 at Tu Danse Studios in Peterborough. Book now via: email@example.com.
- Bethany Kingsley Garner, Principle dancer with the Scottish Ballet, is joining Fumi Kaneko, Roberta Marquez & Fernanda Oliveira to teach a summer course for Balletstar at the Royal Ballet Studios on the 27th and 28th of August. For further information contact: www.balletstar.co.uk
- London Studio Centre announced the line up of teachers for its Commercial Dance Summer Intensive. These are: Briony Albert, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer, Randall Watson, Josh Denyer & John Graham. It will take place from the 8th of August until the 12th of August.
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Gaz Davis is offering a 3 day Mentor Programme for pro dancers on the 10th -12th of August in London. Contact Gaz on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Lukas McFarlane will hold an Intensive dance course from the 6th of September to the 15th of September. For more information contact: www.untitleddance.com
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Danceworks in London have a Summer Intensive with Marianela Nunez & Alejandro Parente from the 8th to the 12th of August.
- The TGS Summer Intensive will take place from the 25th to the 29th of July at the Hemingford Pavilion from 10.00 – 3.00pm daily. Collette Guitart (from “Six” & “& Juliet” ) will be the first guest with Michael Andrew Naylor the second guest. Wednesdays guests are Travis Kerry & Nick Kerry from “Hamilton” and on Thursday the guest will be Nikki Trow. On Friday it is Jordi Guitart. To book: email: email@example.com
- Lowri Jackson has a new weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio. Christabelle also teaches at the Dance Attic on Thursday from 6.15 – 8.15pm.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
Film And Video
- Justin and Dana Thompson won the first series of “Come Dance With Me” in America.
- We spotted the following dancers performing with Kendrick Lamar at Glastonbury: Simeon Beckett, Randall Watson, Nicey Belgrave, Nadia Robinson, Maya King, Kieron Simms, Kelsey Miller, CeCe Nama & Aaliyah Baker.
The contract was with AMCK and the choreographer was Charm La’Donna.
- We spotted Strictly stars Jo Clifton & Robin Windsor presenting an award at the “Child of Britain” awards.
- We spotted that Moa Wikberg is joining the Nickelodean Experience this summer.
- We spotted Devon Young, Zoe Moyle, Timara Melchor & Estefania de la Cruz Benson dancing with Sister Sledge in Ottawa, Canada.
- We spotted Anders Nielson, Katie Collins, Jason Leigh & Christen Olesen performing with Kylie Minogue in Marrakesh. The contract was with Kutes and the choreography was by Ashley Wallen.
- We spotted Megan Frances dancing in “Alaina” at Glynebourne.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.