All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Strictly Come Dancing: Professional Dancers Pre-Record and Launch Show 2022.
Strictly Come Dancing is back!
The stunning 20th series returns, bringing glamour and show stopping dancing back to Saturday nights on BBC One – and we’re extremely excited to be able to welcome an audience back to the studio for this year’s shows. Hosted by the very talented and glamorous Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman, the show will once again come live from Elstree Film and Television Studios.
Registration is now open to join us in the studio for an exciting Professional Dancers Pre-Record on Wednesday 24 August and for this year’s Launch Show, which is recording in advance of the live shows on Wednesday 7 September. As in previous years, tickets will be allocated by random draw. You can apply for tickets for the Professional Dancers Pre-Record and Launch Show at any time until 10pm on Sunday 7 August.
How To Apply.
- You can apply for a maximum of one pair of tickets per recording and if your application is successful you will only receive tickets for either the Pre-Record or the Launch Show.
- You can Only apply if you intend to be the named ticket holder. If successful please note that tickets are non-transferable. They cannot be transferred to another date or a person who is not named on the ticket.
- Tickets for the main series will be allocated in a separate random draw. If your application for tickets to the Pre-Record or Launch Show is successful this will not preclude you from entering the random draw for tickets for the live shows.
Strictly Come Dancing 2022 New Professional Dancers line-up
The Strictly Come Dancing professional dancers are the glue that holds the BBC One Saturday night hit together.
Bringing awe-inspiring footwork, a phwoar factor and an incredible talent for training up plodding amateurs, they are as important as the judges and celebrities in making Strictly a success.
In 2022 there are a couple of big changes as fan favourites and former Strictly winners Oti Mabuse and Aljaž Škorjanec depart the professional lineup. Their exit means there is room for four new pro dancers – Vito, Carlos, Lauren and Michelle.
Vito Coppola – New for 2022
11-time Italian Latin American Champion Vito Coppola began dancing at the age of 6 and by the age of 10 was winning national championships. His career highlights include being a 3-time World Championship finalist and European Cup Winner.
In 2021 he left the competition world as one of its highest ranking athletes to explore on screen opportunities, most recently competing in and winning Ballando con le Stelle, the Italian version of Strictly Come Dancing.
Carlos Gu – New for 2022
Chinese National Champion Carlos Gu is a dancer at the very top of his game. He is a multiple world semi-finalist, placed 3rd at the German Open Championship and became Amateur Latin Rising Star Runner Up at the 2017 UK Open.
With further experience in ballroom, ballet and contemporary dance, Carlos brings a wealth of dance knowledge to the Strictly ballroom.
Lauren Oakley – New for 2022
Birmingham-born Lauren Oakley started dancing at just 2 years old and began competing soon after. Early successes include becoming Juvenile Champion at the prestigious Blackpool Dance Festival, winning across both Ballroom and Latin disciplines.
She was also crowned Under 21 British National Champion before exploring a career on stage. She has toured all over the world and most recently has been leading lady to Giovanni Pernice and Anton Du Beke in their national tours.
Michelle Tsiakkas – New for 2022
Latin dance champion Michelle Tsiakkas first started dancing at the age of 6 in her home country of Cyprus. There she became an undefeated champion, winning national titles consecutively from 2001-2011 before moving to London to study.
Whilst in the UK she continued to compete, representing England at major international championships before joining the world touring dance show Burn The Floor
Netflix sues unofficial Bridgerton musical creators over live performances.
It’s a scandal worthy of Lady Whistledown herself – Netflix has sued the creators of the unofficial Bridgerton musical over live performances.
Based on the seminal streamed series of the same name, Emily Bear and Abigail Barlow’s Grammy award-winning musical, which started life on TikTok, is due to be staged in London later this year, following a concert at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC earlier this month.
Netflix, who are also producing their own immersive Bridgerton experience, said in their suit this week that: “The live show featured over a dozen songs that copied verbatim dialogue, character traits and expression, and other elements from Bridgerton the series. It included dramatic portrayals of Bridgerton characters by Broadway actors, emoting through the performance of the songs that comprise the “musical”.”
It has to be noted that unofficial musicals are no rarity – the likes of Friends, Game of Thrones and more have all been given musical tributes. But it seems the particular issue in this instance was that the stage version used the TV show’s logo without permission, with show-themed merchandise also on sale.
Netflix’s attorney explained: “Defendants Abigail Barlow and Emily Bear and their companies (“Barlow & Bear”) have taken valuable intellectual property from the Netflix original series Bridgerton to build an international brand for themselves. Bridgerton reflects the creative work and hard-earned success of hundreds of artists and Netflix employees. Netflix owns the exclusive right to create Bridgerton songs, musicals, or any other derivative works based on Bridgerton. Barlow & Bear cannot take that right-made valuable by others’ hard work-for themselves, without permission.
General News & Sighting
- “Matilda The Musical” has revealed new cast members for its West End production. Lauren Byrne will play the role of Miss Honey and Amy Ellen Richardson will play Mrs Wormword. The new cast will begin on the 13th of September. The choreography is by Peter Darling.
- A new production of “42nd Street” is set to tour the UK, opening at the Curve Theatre in Leicester on the 17th of May 2023. The choreography is by Bill Deamer.
- The full cast and creative team have been announced for the upcoming tour of “Fisherman’s Friends”. It will open in Plymouth on the 1st of September. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- Complete casting has been revealed for the new musical “Are You As Nervous As I Am”. It will star Bill Ward and Katie Elin-Salt. The Movement Director is Dennis Sayers. The premiere will take place at the Greenwich Theatre on the 1st of October.
- A new cast will join “Millenials” at The Other Palace from the 9th of August. It will include Georgina Castle, Jarnelia Richard Joel, Cleeve September and Becca Wickes. The choreography is by Tinovimbanashe Sibanda.
- STOP PRESS – New casting has been revealed for the touring production of “Rock of Ages”. This production is directed and choreographed by Nick Winston. The Assistant Choreographer is Ryan Lee Seager.
- “The Drifters Girl” will end its West End run on the 15th of October. It is hoping to tour in 2023. The choreography is by Karen Bruce, with Myles Brown as Associate Choreographer.
- “Get Up Stand Up – The Bob Marley Musical” will end on the 8th of January 2023. It is hoping to embark on a UK tour.
- The Dang Academy, the new dance college set up by Solange Urdang, will begin the new term with the following dance teachers on board: Monique Jonas (Contemporary), Jenny Wickham (Jazz) & Sam Fleet ( Street).
- The Eurovision Song Contest will take place in the UK next year.
- The Northern Ballet School has been granted full University status.
- Ian Mckellen is playing “Hamlet” at the Edinburgh Fringe with dancers Johan Christiansen, Luke Schaufuss & Stephan Wise, plus artists from the Edinburgh Festival Ballet.
- Bethany Kingsley-Garner will perform “Coppelia” at the Capital Theatre in Edinburgh from the 13th to the 16th of August.
- We spotted Joanne Clifton and Robin Windsor presenting an award at the West End Wilmas.
- “Heathers” won the West End Wilma for the Best Off West End show, with Ailsa Davidson winning Best Performer.
- Broadway dancer and choreographer Darius Barnes has passed away at the age of 34.
Future Dance Events News
- “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” has confirmed new dates for its second UK tour which begins in September 2023. It will open at The Lowry in Salford on the 7th of September.
- ZooNation announced its production of “Mixtape” – celebrating 20 years of the Kate Prince company. It will take place at Sadlers Wells from the 5th to the 8th of October. The performance will be co-directed by Dannielle “Rhimes” Lecointe and Bradley Charles. There will be special guest performers from the past and the present.
- Simon Lipkin and Georgina Castle will star in the West End revival of the musical “Elf” at the Dominion Theatre. The choreography is by Liam Steel. The show will open on the 14th of November.
- “Annie” will embark on a new tour in 2023, opening at the Curve Theatre in Leicester on the 25th of February before touring.
- “Back To The Future” has revealed plans to open on Broadway in 2023.
- Dolly Parton’s “Smokey Mountain Christmas Carol – A New Musical” will get a European premiere in December at the Southbank Centre in London. It will play from the 8th of December until the 8th of January 2023.
- Further touring dates were announced for the new production of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – The Musical”. It will open at the Leeds Playhouse on the 18th of November.
- Casting was announced for the world premiere of “Mandela”, the new musical at The Young Vic theatre in London. It will star Michael Luwoye as Nelson Mandela and Danielle Fiamanya as Winnie Mandela. The show will run from the 29th of November until the 4th of February 2023. The choreography is by Gregory Maqoma.
- “The Bodyguard” will embark on a new UK tour at Glasgow on the 28th of January 2023.
- Casting was announced for the Edinburgh Fringe run of “I Wish My Life Were Like A Musical”. The show will run at the Gilders Ballon from the 3rd of August until the 28th of August. The Direction and Choreography is by Joanna Goodwin.
- Disney’s musical “Newsies” will begin at the Troubadour Theatre Wembley Park on the 29th of November, with an official premiere on the 8th of December. Direction and choreography is by Matt Cole, with Jane McMurtrie as Associate Choreographer.
- A new production of “Shrek The Musical” announced a UK tour from July 2023. Nick Winston will be the choreographer.
- “Dirty Dancing” is to return to the Dominion Theatre on the 21st of January 2023. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- A new production of “From Here To Eternity” is coming to the Charing Cross Theatre from the 29th of October. Cressida Carre will be the choreographer.
- The complete cast and creatives have been revealed for Chichester Festival’s revival of “Crazy For You”. Susan Stroman will direct and choreograph the production. It will run from the 11th of July until the 4th of September.
- To mark the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham this summer, the Birmingham Royal Ballet is presenting a triple bill of “On Your Marks”, “Interlinked”, and “Lazuli Sky”.
- Casting has been announced for the new UK tour of “Strictly Ballroom”. It will star Kevin Clifton and Maisie Smith and begin in Portsmouth on the 26th of September.
- Two musical concerts will take place in August at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, in London. On the 8th of August it will be “Kinky Boots” starring Cedric Neil & Courtney Bowman and on the 22nd of August there is a new musical called “Treason”, with choreography by Taylor Walker.
- The Edinburgh Festival takes place from the 5th of August until the 28th of August this year. Dance highlights include Scottish Ballet’s “Coppelia”, Akram Khan’s new “Jungle Book Reimagined”, the UK premiere of Kyle Abraham’s “An Untitled Love” plus Aakash Odedra’s “Samsara”.
- The “Secret Garden” musical is to be staged at the London Palladium on the 28th of August. It will be directed by Nick Winston.
- Brit Award winner Becky Hill makes her Ibiza Rocks debut this summer with a 6 weeks residency.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
Auditions & Vacancies
- Performers College Birmingham are recruiting for a Principle Lecturer of Jazz and Tap. For further information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Three Rings Agency are holding an open audition to find “marketable dancers” on the 25th of August – boys are at 10.00am and girls at 11.30am. For more information contact: email@example.com
- Michael Danilczuk, winner of “The Greatest Dancer”, is looking for a dance teacher for his studio. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
- Three Rings Agency is looking for dancers for show contracts in Las Vegas. Contact: email@example.com
- Pontins is looking for dancers to join their entertainment teams around the UK. Find out more and apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Place in London is looking for Professional Dance Teachers. Visit the website for further details and how to apply.
- One Dance UK is seeking an experienced Project Manager. Enquiries and applications should be directed to: email@example.com
- English National Ballet has launched a global search for a new Artistic Director to replace Tamara Rojo CBE. For more information visit: www.odgers.com/85718.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Jona Dance Company is having a London workshop on the 10th of August from 10.00 – 12.00pm at The Place for £20. This is a 2 hour contemporary technique class by Monique Jonas.
- Carrie Willis will be doing a series of Theatre Jazz pop ups at the Pineapple Dance studios on the: 12th, 19th & 26th of August plus the 2nd of September. You can book online.
- The UDO has a series of workshops at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool from the 11th to the 14th of August with: Curtley Mooring, Flawless, Rik O Shay, Bruno Perrier, Kenrick Sandy, Anna Reed, Lily Field, Ryanne Vanhurst & Mr Youtube.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on the 8th of August from 3.30 – 5.00pm for £10 at the Base Studio. You can book via the Base app.
- Joanne Clifton is doing a workshop at The Crown Ballroom on the 3rd of September at 2.00pm for £20.
- Charlie Bruce has a Jazz & Contemporary workshop on the 13th of August from 10.00 – 12.00pm for £6 at Tu Danse Studios in Peterborough. You can book on: Charliebruce@gmx.com
- Chrissy Brooke is teaching on the 16th of August at the Forte Studios in Little Hadham. The Juniors will be from 10.00 – 11.30am for £15 and the Seniors from 11.30 – 3.30pm for £30. Contact: www.forte.studio.performingarts
- The Oti and Marius Dance Studio is presenting a “Night of the Stars – An Evening of Dance” with showcases and competitions on Saturday the 23rd of July from 7.00 – 11.00pm.
- Bethany Kingsley Garner, Principle dancer with the Scottish Ballet, is joining Fumi Kaneko, Roberta Marquez & Fernanda Oliveira to teach a summer course for Balletstar at the Royal Ballet Studios on the 27th and 28th of August. For further information contact: www.balletstar.co.uk
- London Studio Centre announced the line up of teachers for its Commercial Dance Summer Intensive. These are: Briony Albert, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer, Randall Watson, Josh Denyer & John Graham. It will take place from the 8th of August until the 12th of August.
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Gaz Davis is offering a 3 day Mentor Programme for pro dancers on the 10th -12th of August in London. Contact Gaz on: email@example.com
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Lukas McFarlane will hold an Intensive dance course from the 6th of September to the 15th of September. For more information contact: www.untitleddance.com
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Danceworks in London have a Summer Intensive with Marianela Nunez & Alejandro Parente from the 8th to the 12th of August.
- Lowri Jackson has a weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio. Christabelle also teaches at the Dance Attic on Thursday from 6.15 – 8.15pm.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
Film And Video
- The filmed performance of “Heathers The Musical” will be streaming on Roku in the USA from the 16th of September. The release plans for the UK are yet to be revealed.
- We spotted the following dancers performing with Becky Hill before the European Football Championship Final: Amber Lole-Millard, Summer Villiers, Brad Way, Tyson Simon, Claudia Rose Carlier, Josie Pocock, Joy Duckrell & Sarah Seville. The choreography was by Mark Jennings and Jared Hageman. The contract was with Mass Talent.
- At the opening ceremony for the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham we spotted Bethany Thomas, Lauren Jenkins, Joss Attwood, Danni Grove & Charlotte Pook.
- We spotted Lolly Campbell and Sophie Camble on the new poster for “42nd Street”.
- We spotted Li Li Hodge and Aaliyah Sharnell performing at “Flackstock”.
- We spotted Hannah Levitt Collins, Steph Lee & Crystal Hantig performing with Nicole Scherzinger at the “Concert For Earth”.
- We spotted the following Dane Bates Collective dancers in the new Coke Zero advert: Ella Carolan, Abbie Brown, Charlotte Johnson, Hermione Almark & Joshua Freeman. The choreography was by Dane Bates.
- We spotted Martina Gumbs and Megan Morley performing at Carfest.
- We spotted Suzannah Ruth dancing with the Weeknd in Toronto, Canada.
Over the Summer Months, Dincwear will be putting the “Pro Dancer News” out every 2 weeks as there is not so much dance and entertainment news around. We will start publishing the news weekly again in September.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.