All the latest news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Strictly Come Dancing fans celebrate return of show tradition
Strictly Come Dancing is officially back and fans have celebrated the return of a beloved pre-pandemic show tradition.
The show returned for another year this weekend following a delayed launch and saw the return of the ‘Clauditorium’. For those not in the know, the Clauditorium is the name given to the balcony where presenter Claudia Winkleman stands together with a small group of the celebrities and professional dancers to debrief after their performance. The ‘Clauditorium’ is there to provide encouragement and support for the contestants following their dances and time with the judges, and is notorious for giving us some sharp-wit from Claudia and funny meme-worthy moments from the stars.
This is a far cry from the pandemic days, as during 2020 and 2021, pros and their celeb partners had to follow strict rules and were only interviewed in pairs. Fans will remember seeing the dancing couples queued up on the stairs as they waited to see Claudia for their interview (this was jokingly referred to as ‘the Chatterpillar’) but it appears that most of the social distancing has been removed for this year.
EastEnders’ Maisie Smith to star in Bromley Strictly Show.
Strictly Come Dancing finalist and much loved former EastEnders star, Maisie Smith, will make her musical theatre debut later this year, as she co-stars in the UK tour of Baz Luhrmann’s Strictly Ballroom The Musical. The musical, based on the award-winning global film phenomenon of the same name, inspired the creation behind the smash hit TV series Strictly Come Dancing. And now, new for 2022/23, this all-singing, all-dancing show – directed by Craig Revel Horwood – is set to dazzle audiences once more with this glittering cast.
Kicking off in Portsmouth on September 26, the musical will then waltz around the UK, including showing at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley from October 3 until October 8. This will be Maisie’s first time ever visiting the Bromley borough – and she’ll be doing so by taking the lead female role as Fran.
Strictly Ballroom the Musical tells the beguiling story of Scott Hastings, a talented and rebellious young ballroom dancer – played by former Strictly Come Dancing professional Kevin Clifton. When Scott’s radical dance moves see him fall out of favour with the Australian Federation, he finds himself dancing with Fran (Maisie Smith), a beginner with no moves at all.
Cast for But I’m A Cheerleader musical’s return revealed.
The hit show is back at the Turbine Theatre
The full cast has been revealed for the upcoming return of hit musical But I’m A Cheerleader, playing at the Turbine Theatre in Battersea from next month. Following a cheerleader who is sent to a conversion camp by her parents (only to discover more about herself and the community around her in the process), the show is based on the cult classic movie. That cult classic had direction and story by Jamie Babbit and screenplay by Brian Wayne Peterson, while the new musical has a book and lyrics by Bill Augustin, with music by Andrew Abrams and direction by Tania Azevedo.
Critic’s gave the piece a glowing review when it first premiered, saying it is full of “belly laughs, full-throttle performances and roof-raising numbers”.
Appearing will be Jessica Aubrey (she/her, Bedknobs and Broomsticks) as Megan, alongside Megan Hill (they/them, Maria Friedman and Friends – Legacy) as Graham.
Also set to appear are Louis Amir Hook (he/him, Here Comes Santa Claus) as Jalal and will cover Mike, Kenneth Avery-Clark (he/him, Violet) as Dad/Larry, Inez Budd (she/her, Heathers) as Sinead, Georgina Hagen (she/her, Heathers) as Mary Brown, Freddie Love (they/them, Crash Course) as Mom/Lloyd and will cover Mary Brown, Michael Mather (he/him, Jet Set Go) as Jared/Rock, Patrick Munday (he/him, The Sorcerer’s Apprentice) as Dolph, Julian Quijano (he/him, The 12 Tenors) as André and Noel Sullivan (he/him, How To Survive an Apocalypse) as Mike with Ash Weir (she/her, Dr Who: Time Fracture) as Kimberly/Hilary, Ciaran Spencer (he/him, making his professional stage debut) and Josie Kemp (she/her, Les Misérables) as the Super Cheerleaders.
The production will now return to the same venue for a new run from 7 October to 27 November.
Further guests revealed for first ever Musical Con in London.
The countdown is on until the major stage bonanza Musical Con, taking place at the ExCel in London next month.
Uniting thousands of fans under one roof, the evening will see special guests and stage names take part in singing classes, workshops, autograph signings and photo opportunities.
Revealed today as joining the line-up are Adam Garcia, David Bedella, Louise Dearman, Miriam-Teak Lee, Victoria Hamilton-Barritt, Courtney Bowman, Collette Guitart, Shaka Macfarlane, Joel Montague, Jordan Shaw, Tosh Wanogho-Maud, Michael Duke, Craig Gallivan and Hannah Lowther. They join the previously revealed list of names announced here earlier this year.
Also set to appear are co-writer of Six Toby Marlow, Heathers choreographer Gary Lloyd and Rent choreographer Tom Jackson Greaves. The event takes place on 22 to 23 October, with a full schedule and many more special guests to be announced on the run up to the convention.
Co-founder of West End Musical Productions Chris Steward, said today: “We wanted to create an event that would bring the whole community together under one roof for the first time. To celebrate the shows, the stars and the creatives that make the magic happen, but also to celebrate each other. Without an audience, there can be no theatre. This is for the fans.”
General News & Sighting
- Energy prices for theatres are set to be cut to half the expected levels for the next 6 months, under a new support scheme announced by the UK Government. (The Stage)
- Sadlers Wells gave further details of the new “Rose Prize” for dance. It will be a biennial International dance competition with a prize of £40,000 for a full length dance piece and a prize of £15,000 for a short piece.
- The new Strictly series opened with a pro dance choreographed by Jason Gilkison.
- The complete cast was revealed for Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella”. The show will open on the 1st of November at the Hope Mill Theatre in Manchester, with choreography by William Whelton and Charise Renouf.
- The full cast and creative team of “From Here To Eternity” has been announced. It will open on the 29th of October at the Charing Cross Theatre in London. The choreographer is Cressida Carre.
- Casting has been revealed for the new Bollywood musical “Bombay Superstar”. It will star Nisha Aaliya and Rav Moore. The choreography is by Rohan Shah and Shruti Shah. It will open at the Belgrade Theatre in Coventry on the 18th of October prior to touring.
- Janette & Alijaz announced the “A Christmas To Remember” tour which will open on the 25th of November.
- “But I’m A Cheerleader” will return to the Turbine Theatre in London on the 7th of October.
- A few new faces will be joining the UK tour of “Jersey Boys”. From the 27th of September, Christopher Short will play Nick Massi and Victoria McCabe will play Francine.
- Dance East announced its Autumn season and that it had frozen ticket prices.
- Further guests were announced for the new “Musical Con” in London on the 22nd & 23rd of October, including Adam Garcia, Collette Guitart & Heather Lowther.
- Julia Cheng, the choreographer on the West End show “Cabaret”, won Best Creative West End Debut at The Stage’s Debut Awards.
- The Dance Space in Brighton announced that Second Hand Dance will be the first resident dance company.
- A Halloween Concert is taking place in the West End at the Lyric Theatre on the 31st of October. It will star Courtney Bowman & Sophie Isaacs.
- New musical “42 Balloons” will be presented in concert at the Vaudeville Theatre in London on the 14th, 21st & 28th of November. The choreography is by Alexzandra Sarmiento.
- One Dance UK announced the shortlist for it’s Dance Awards 2022. The event will take place in Bristol on the 29th of October.
- “Beetlejuice” will end on Broadway on the 8th of January 2023 and “Phantom Of The Opera” is to close after 25 years.
Future Dance Events News
- Oti Mabuse has organised “London Dance Nights” at the Novotel in Hammersmith on the 11th – 13th of November with dance shows, workshops and a dinner and dance.
- “Greatest Days”, the official Take That musical, is to tour the UK next year.
- A new production of “Miss Saigon” will be presented at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield from the 8th of July 2023 until the 12th of August. It will star Joanna Ampil.
- The Broadway musical “Ain’t Too Proud” is to open at the Prince Edward theatre on the 31st of March next year replacing “Mary Poppins”. The Broadway show won a Tony award for Best Choreography by Sergio Trujilio.
- The cast and creatives of the Theatre du Chatelet’s production of “42nd Street” have been announced. It will be directed and choreographed by Stephen Mear and will open on the 7th of December.
- The “Ballet Icons Gala” will take place on the 19th of February 2023 at the London Coliseum. Graham Watts is the Artistic Advisor.
- Disney’s “Winnie The Pooh” will be coming to a UK theatre in Spring 2023.
- The new production of “We Will Rock You” will begin its world tour in Manila in October. The choreography is by Nick Winston.
- A new dance show co-created and directed by Arlene Phillips will play at the Peacock Theatre in the West End from the 27th of September until the 8th of October. The “House of Flamenka” will star Karen Ruimy. The choreographer is James Cousins.
- The Mill at Sonning has unveiled its 2022-23 season of shows including two musical revivals: “Top Hat” will star Jonny Labey with choreography from Ashley Nottingham and take place from the 16th of November until the 30th of December. “Gypsy” will play from the 24th of May until the 15th of July 2023. The casting and creatives for the latter show have yet to be announced.
- “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” has confirmed new dates for its second UK tour which begins in September 2023. It will open at The Lowry in Salford on the 7th of September.
- ZooNation announced its production of “Mixtape” – celebrating 20 years of the Kate Prince company. It will take place at Sadlers Wells from the 5th to the 8th of October. The performance will be co-directed by Dannielle “Rhimes” Lecointe and Bradley Charles. There will be special guest performers from the past and the present.
- Simon Lipkin and Georgina Castle will star in the West End revival of the musical “Elf” at the Dominion Theatre. The choreography is by Liam Steel. The show will open on the 14th of November.
- “Annie” will embark on a new tour in 2023, opening at the Curve Theatre in Leicester on the 25th of February before touring.
- “Back To The Future” has revealed plans to open on Broadway in 2023.
- Dolly Parton’s “Smokey Mountain Christmas Carol – A New Musical” will get a European premiere in December at the Southbank Centre in London. It will play from the 8th of December until the 8th of January 2023.
- Further touring dates were announced for the new production of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – The Musical”. It will open at the Leeds Playhouse on the 18th of November.
- Casting was announced for the world premiere of “Mandela”, the new musical at The Young Vic theatre in London. It will star Michael Luwoye as Nelson Mandela and Danielle Fiamanya as Winnie Mandela. The show will run from the 29th of November until the 4th of February 2023. The choreography is by Gregory Maqoma.
- “The Bodyguard” will embark on a new UK tour at Glasgow on the 28th of January 2023.
- Disney’s musical “Newsies” will begin at the Troubadour Theatre Wembley Park on the 29th of November, with an official premiere on the 8th of December. Direction and choreography is by Matt Cole, with Jane McMurtrie as Associate Choreographer.
- A new production of “Shrek The Musical” announced a UK tour from July 2023. Nick Winston will be the choreographer.
- “Dirty Dancing” is to return to the Dominion Theatre on the 21st of January 2023. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- A new production of “From Here To Eternity” is coming to the Charing Cross Theatre from the 29th of October. Cressida Carre will be the choreographer.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
Auditions & Vacancies
- Wayne McGregor is looking for dancers. The audition is on the 10th of December, with call backs on the 11th. The deadline for applications is the 28th of October. For more details, visit: www.waynemcgregor.com
- “Hamilton” is seeking dancers who can sing. The auditions will be held in London in October. For more information contact: email@example.com
- The Joffrey Ballet School of the USA will be holding auditions at the Can You Dance Super Convention on the 15th & 16th of October in Liverpool.
- Taira Foo is looking for dancers of playing age 35+ for her new project. Rehearsals will be from the 7th until the 24th of November in London, with a performance on the 25th of November in Liverpool. The fee is £1,482 plus accommodation. For more information, contact Taira at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Pegasus Theatre is offering £1,000 to 3 dance artists to showcase their work in “Moving With The Times”, part of the 2023 Dancing Oxford Spring Dance Festival taking place on the 3rd and 4th of March 2023. For more information contact: www.pegasustheatre.org.uk
- Oceania Cruises are looking for dancers. There is a casting in London on the 27th of September – by appointment only. Contact Pearson Casting to get your appointment on: email@example.com
- Burn The Floor is looking for 10 dancers who specialise in Ballroom. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erica Mulkern is looking for a Ballet Teacher – cover in Leeds for the 10th of October, 14th of November and the 21st of November for Advanced Ballet Technique at Leeds University. Email Erica on: email@example.com
- Sadlers Wells and Uchenna Dance is looking for experienced dancers to join the cast of “Our Mighty Groove”. The auditions are on the 20th and 21st of October with a call-back on the 28th. Apply by the 26th of September. Application forms are on the Sadlers Wells website.
- The Las Vegas show “Rouge” is looking for male dancers who are eligible to work in America. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alton Towers are currently recruiting performers for the Halloween Season. Visit the website to apply.
- Performers College Birmingham are recruiting for a Principle Lecturer of Jazz and Tap. For further information, contact: email@example.com
- Three Rings Agency is looking for dancers for show contracts in Las Vegas. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pontins is looking for dancers to join their entertainment teams around the UK. Find out more and apply to: email@example.com
- The Place in London is looking for Professional Dance Teachers. Visit the website for further details and how to apply.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sammi Lee Jayne, fresh back from dancing on the Dua Lipa tour, has a 2 hour workshop on the 4th of October at the Urdang Academy from 7.30 – 9.30pm for £16. You can book via Sammi’s Instagram.
- Poppy Tremlett and Olivia Rose Shouler are teaching an “Improvers Pop-Up” on the 6th of October from 7.00 – 8.30pm at the Base Studios. Book on the Base app.
- Antonia Catriona Eloisa DiCarlo is teaching a farewell Heels class on the 30th of September at the Everlast Fitness Studio in Inverness from 6.30 – 7.30pm.
- Joanne Clifton is giving a workshop on the 21st of October at 7.00pm at the Bull Theatre in High Barnett for £15. You can book online at: www.dancewright.co.uk/classes
- Renako McDonald is doing a workshop on the 3rd of October from 10.30 – 1.30pm at the Pineapple Studios. Book on: Renakomc@hotmail.com
- Flavia Cacace is offering a Beginners Couples Class at Blackawton Village Hall, Totnes, on Thursdays at 7.00pm. Email: email@example.com
- BOP Jazz Theatre Artists Development Lab will take place every Friday at Morley College with Dollie Henry, starting on the 7th of October from 12.00 – 4.00pm.
- Amy Ireland has a weekly Tap class at the Base Studios on Thursdays at 2.00pm and Contemporary Jazz at 3.00pm.
- Emma Northhouse & Didy Veldman are offering DancEnhance – ballet & contemporary – on the 2nd of October at the Royal Ballet Upper School in Covent Garden. For more info: www.balletboost.com/dancenhance
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Lowri Jackson has a weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio. Christabelle also teaches at the Dance Attic on Thursday from 6.15 – 8.15pm.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
Film And Video
- Jonathan Bailey will star in the film “Wicked” alongside Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo.
- We spotted Charlotte Bazeley in the new ID mobile advert.
- We spotted (the legs of) Lucia Gonzalez, Sarah Seville, Josie Pocock & Hayley Ainsley in the latest advert for Rieker shoes. The choreography is by Mark Jennings and the contract with Mass Talent.
- We spotted Keisha Atwell in the new James Lucus short movie “The Phoenix Of Gloucester”.
- We spotted the following dancers in the new OKX commercial: Amy Cook, Mina Neighbour & Tamika Williamson.
- We spotted Shanice Steel, Robbie Kmetoni and Rose Wild performing with Anastacia.
- We spotted Kimberly Wyatt making a guest appearance in “Friendsical Live”.
- We spotted Anjula Kelly on set making the “Ghost Story” music video with Carrie Underwood.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.