All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Strictly Pro Dancer Karen Hauer Launches The KH Leotard.
In the week that Karen Hauer launches her KH Leotard Exclusively on Sale With Dincwear Dancewear.
The KH Leotard by Karen Hauer features a very deep and wide back and is made from a new composite fabric that is soft and stretchy, but not see-through or shiny.
The fabric has been doubled up to support the dancer and carefully lined so that the seams are covered for extra comfort. The Leotard is finished with a neat back feathering detail and a purple “KH” Logo embroidered over the left leg.
View the ‘KH Leotard by Karen Hauer’ in the Dincwear Dancewear Shop.
Strictly Come Dancing star Amy Dowden starts filming for a new BBC show.
Strictly Come Dancing star Amy Dowden has begun filming for her new BBC show. The professional dancer is the host of Amy Dowden’s Dare to Dance.
The show will see an individual or group perform a spectacular dance routine, choreographed by Caerphilly-born Amy, to surprise family and friends. Behind each dance will be a story: a big life moment or message someone wants to give, from proposing to saying thank you.
Amy shared a picture from the set of the show as the crew started filming. She captioned the photo: “Dream team”.
Speaking ahead of the show, she wrote: “I’m thrilled to be fronting my own series for BBC Wales. Dance can have such a positive impact on physical and mental health, socialising and self-confidence so it’ll be a privilege to share my passion with people and help them experience their own special moment on the dancefloor.
“It’s going to be such a joyous and uplifting show and I can’t wait to take people on their own dance journey.”
Six episodes will air on BBC One Wales in early 2023.
Cleveleys dancer and pal who started Jiggle Jiggle TikTok dance craze now working with Stranger Things TV show.
A former Cleveleys woman and her pal whose Louis Theroux ‘jiggle jiggle’ dance became a global phenomenon have now been taken on to promote one of the biggest hit shows on Netflix.
The dance created by Jess Qualter and housemate Brooke Blewitt has swept America and they have just been interviewed by the New York Times about the craze they started. It all began last month when Jess and Brooke, who are both aged 21, were listening to an unlikely rap song featuring documentary filmmaker Louis Theroux when they decided to film themselves dancing along to it.
They worked out a jaunty routine and filmed themselves dancing to it, wearing hoodies and dark glasses, and uploaded the video onto the social media platform TikTok.
Their routine lasts barely 25 seconds yet what happened next illustrates the huge scope of social media. Within just a few days the pair, who live in London and are professional performers in musical theatre, had accrued 38 million global views.
Now the pair have been employed by Netflix to create a promotional dance video to the theme tune of Stranger Things, the sci fi thriller which is so popular it helped put Kate Bush back at the top of music charts across the globe. Jess, a former pupil of Cardinal Allen Catholic High School in Fleetwood, said: “It’s crazy how everything has taken off, we never expected anything like this.
“The strange thing is how most of our followers come from America – they’re surprised when they find out we’re from England.
‘Frozen’ tickets are available through March 2023.
(A new cast will star in the production this autumn, with Samantha Barks as Elsa.)
For the first time in forever, a new Frozen company will take over the West End production from 28 September. Frozen also extends in London to March 2023. Frozen is at Theatre Royal Drury Lane. Book Frozen tickets at London Theatre.
Emily Lane will take over the role of Anna from the Olivier-nominated actress, Stephanie McKeon. Djavan van de Fliert will make his West End debut as Kristoff, taking over from Obioma Ugoala.
Samantha Barks continues as Elsa in Frozen, joined by Craig Gallivan as Olaf, Oliver Ormson as Hans, Richard Frame as the Duke of Weselton, and Mikayla Jade and Ashley Birchall as Sven.
The Frozen ensemble includes Rhianne Alleyne, Jeremy Batt, Danny Becker, Marianne Bardgett, Rebecca Botterill, Char Burnett, Collette Coleman, Davide Fienauri, Laura Emmitt, Jemal Felix, Jordan Fox, Molly Francis, Matt Gillett, Harriet Samuels, Isabella Glanznig Santos, Ben Irish, Justin-Lee Jones, Aoife Kenny, Jordan Livesey, Joshua Robinson, Jacqui Sanchez, Jak Skelly, Kerry Spark, Caitlin Tipping, Rodney Vubya, Anna Woodside, and Luke Fraser Yates.
Based on the 2013 Academy Award-winning Disney film, Frozen follows sisters Elsa and Anna in Arendelle as they try to control Elsa’s icy powers. The Frozen musical features a book by Jennifer Lee, and music and lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez — including the Academy Award-winning song “Let It Go.”
Frozen is at Theatre Royal Drury Lane.
‘Blindspotting’ Choreographers Came Up With House Dance Sequence in 10 Minutes.
Dance, music and spoken word all play a key part in Starz’s “Blindspotting.”
The series adaptation was created by Rafael Casal and Daveed Diggs, who wrote, produced and starred in the original film, and picks up six months after the movie’s timeline. Ashley, played by Jasmine Cephas Jones, and Miles (Casal) — her partner of 12 years and father of their son — grapple with incarceration, and are forced to move in with Miles’ mother and half-sister.
Choreographer Jon Boogz, who worked with partner Lil Buck on the show’s dance sequences, says the show proves that there are no boundaries to what street dance can do. Boogz says, “Our life goal is to change people’s perception of the art form of dance and the stories that it can tell.”
Boogz is particularly proud of the sequence he and Buck worked on during episode four, “The Four Hustlateers,” which is a dance depicting the friendship between Miles and Diggs’ Collin, and takes place inside a house. The episode is steeped in nostalgia as Ashley, Janelle (Candace Nicholas-Lippman), Rainey (Helen Hunt) and Earl (Benjamin Earl Turner) reminisce, mainly through the lens of their teenage years. It’s ultimately a homage to the film.
“It wasn’t even a scripted scene at first, Rafa pulled us into the room,” Boogz says. With that, Buck and Boogz started working on the routine with an idea that each room would represent a different stage of Miles and Collin’s maturity: “We wanted the dance to reflect the dynamic of friendships, love, bickering and all things that best friends go through.”
They didn’t have a lot of time to prepare, but that’s where their friendship came into play, Buck says.
“We were able to talk to everyone in the room about this idea,” he says. “We come from a background of freestyle dance. So when we’re dancing and doing things like this, we have to come up with different things to do on the spot.”
Buck adds, “We’ve been around each other for so many years, that we can get a lot done in a short amount of time. It took us 10 minutes to come up with this.”
Although the piano piece had no lyrics, while putting it together, Boogz and Buck used music that inspired them. “We put a track on, and we floated around ideas just to see what would happen. We tried it out a few times and it ended up coming out beautifully.”
Prince Charles and Camilla plan to host Strictly Come Dancing from inside Buckingham Palace.
Prince Charles and Camilla are actually planning to host Strictly Come Dancing for a live episode reportedly taking place inside the walls of Buckingham Palace. The Duchess of Cornwall has shared how big of a fan of the show she is, and it was previously revealed that it has been a ‘dream’ of hers to appear on the series, but ‘protocol probably wouldn’t allow it.
However, dreams may be one step closer to coming true, as the royals have reportedly been making secret plans with the BBC. A source said: ‘Charles and Camilla are very much driving this and the BBC couldn’t quite believe what was being offered. ‘Strictly at Buckingham Palace is just TV dreamland. It should be a wonderful spectacle,’ the insider added.
It is thought the historic episode will be hosted from the Palace ballroom later this year, for the quarter or semi-finals of the upcoming series.
General News & Sighting
- This week’s rail and underground strikes in London caused several theatres to cancel performances.
- Almost 20% of performers and theatre workers will have to leave the industry because of the cost of living crisis, a new survey by the union Equity claims. (The Stage)
- Casting was announced for “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” in the West End. It will open at the Gillian Lynne theatre on the 28th of July (with previews from the 18th of July). The choreography is by Shannelle “Tali” Fergus.
- Casting for the new musical “Rehab” was unveiled. It will star Jonny Labey and will run at the Playground theatre in London from the 1st to the 17th of September. The choreography is by Gary Lloyd.
- Some new faces joined the West End show “Heathers”, including Jasmine Beel (Heather M) and Daisy Twells (New Wave Party Girl). The choreography is by Gary Lloyd.
- “Frozen” announced the cast for its second year in the West End. Emily Lane will take on the role of Anna. The choreography is by Rob Ashford.
- Andrea Garcia will be playing the role of Alice in TAG’s production of “The Mad Hatter’s Circus” which will tour Scotland throughout the summer.
- Sadly this week the dance world lost two young dancers: Dani Hampson and Natalia Madejczyk. Our thoughts go out to their families and many, many, friends.
Future Dance Events News
- Casting was announced for the world premiere of “Mandela”, the new musical at The Young Vic theatre in London. It will star Michael Luwoye as Nelson Mandela and Danielle Fiamanya as Winnie Mandela. The show will run from the 29th of November until the 4th of February 2023. The choreography is by Gregory Maqoma.
- “The Bodyguard” will embark on a new UK tour at Glasgow on the 28th of January 2023.
- Further casting and an additional date has been announced for “Chess The Musical In Concert”. It will now play 2 dates at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane on the 1st and 2nd of August. The Director and Choreographer is Nick Winston. The Associate Director and Choreographer is Alexzandra Sarmiento.
- Casting was announced for the Edinburgh Fringe run of “I Wish My Life Were Like A Musical”. The show will run at the Gilders Ballon from the 3rd of August until the 28th of August. The Direction and Choreography is by Joanna Goodwin.
- Disney’s musical “Newsies” will begin at the Troubadour Theatre Wembley Park on the 29th of November, with an official premiere on the 8th of December. Direction and choreography is by Matt Cole, with Jane McMurtrie as Associate Choreographer.
- A new production of “Shrek The Musical” announced a UK tour from July 2023. Nick Winston will be the choreographer.
- “Dirty Dancing” is to return to the Dominion Theatre on the 21st of January 2023. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- A new production of “From Here To Eternity” is coming to the Charing Cross Theatre from the 29th of October. Cressida Carre will be the choreographer.
- The complete cast and creatives have been revealed for Chichester Festival’s revival of “Crazy For You”. Susan Stroman will direct and choreograph the production. It will run from the 11th of July until the 4th of September.
- A star-studded “Sondheim” concert is to take place at the Cadogan Hall in London on the 23rd of July.
- To mark the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham this summer, the Birmingham Royal Ballet is presenting a triple bill of “On Your Marks”, “Interlinked”, and “Lazuli Sky”.
- Casting has been announced for the new UK tour of “Strictly Ballroom”. It will star Kevin Clifton and Maisie Smith and begin in Portsmouth on the 26th of September.
- ZooNation are celebrating 20 years at Sadlers Wells from the 5th until the 8th of October.
- Giovanni Pernice is doing “Shall We Dance – An Evening With Giovanni Pernice” at the Clapham Grand in London on the 10th of July.
- Three musical concerts will take place in August at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, in London. The first will be the concert version of “Chess” on the 1st of August, starring Hadley Fraser & Samantha Barks.The Director and Choreographer is Nick Winston and Alexzandria Sarmiento. On the 8th of August it will be “Kinky Boots” starring Cedric Neil & Courtney Bowman. Finally on the 22nd of August there is a new musical called “Treason”, with choreography by Taylor Walker.
- The Edinburgh Festival takes place from the 5th of August until the 28th of August this year. Dance highlights include Scottish Ballet’s “Coppelia”, Akram Khan’s new “Jungle Book Reimagined”, the UK premiere of Kyle Abraham’s “An Untitled Love” plus Aakash Odedra’s “Samsara”.
- The “Secret Garden” musical is to be staged at the London Palladium on the 28th of August. It will be directed by Nick Winston.
- Brit Award winner Becky Hill makes her Ibiza Rocks debut this summer with a 6 weeks residency.
- Sir Ian McKellen is to perform alongside ballet dancers in a new show based on “Hamlet” at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- A new “Strictly Presents” tour was announced. It will feature contestants Maisie Smith & Rhys Stephenson, who will be joined by Strictly pro dancers Neil, Cameron, Jowita & Nancy. The show will tour in June and July.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- The musical “Newsies” is set to open in London this year.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
Auditions & Vacancies
- Michael Danilczuk, winner of “The Greatest Dancer”, is looking for a dance teacher for his studio. Contact: email@example.com for further details.
- CTC dance Company (Christopher Tendai) is looking for dancers in London for August. You will need at least 3 years of professional training. The deadline is the 15th of July. For more information visit: www.ctcdancecompany.com
- Three Rings Agency is looking for dancers for show contracts in Las Vegas. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pontins is looking for dancers to join their entertainment teams around the UK. Find out more and apply to: email@example.com
- Frankly Speaking Productions is looking for 2 male dancers for its September 2022 UK tour of “Tom’s Midnight Garden”. The deadline for applications is the 8th of July. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alexander Whitley Dance Company is looking for dancers to join the company in London. The deadline for applications is the 29th of June via the website. The audition is on the 13th of July.
- Rare Dance Company have open auditions on the 5th and the 10th of July in Newbury. Further details are on the company website.
- Drew McOnie is looking for female dancers for a paid creative development period. They must be available from the 25th to the 29th of July and the 1st of August. It is in Central London. For further deails contact: email@example.com
- Harriet Macauley & Co InDance International is looking for 5 dancers to take part in her new work “Triplicity” at the Northern Ballet in Leeds on the 5th of July. The deadline for applications is the 1st of July. For more information and to apply, go to the company website: www.indanceinternational.com
- Classified Entertainment (Christabelle Huddleston) has an audition on the 25th & 26th of June for representation. To apply go to: www.classifiedent.com/auditions
- The Place in London is looking for Professional Dance Teachers. Visit the website for further details and how to apply.
- Winchester Theatre Arts is looking for a dance teacher. This is a permanent position starting in September. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- One Dance UK is seeking an experienced Project Manager. Enquiries and applications should be directed to: email@example.com
- English National Ballet has launched a global search for a new Artistic Director to replace Tamara Rojo CBE. For more information visit: www.odgers.com/85718.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charlie Bruce, winner of “So You Think You Can Dance”, is offering a Jazz & Contemporary workshop on the 13th of August for £6 at Tu Danse Studios in Peterborough. Book now via: email@example.com
- Joanne Clifton, world dance champion and Strictly winner, is giving a masterclass on the 26th of June at JGH Studios in Canterbury for £15. For more information and to book your place: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dollie Henry and her BOP is holding a Summer Pop Up class on the 1st of July from 1.00 – 4.00pm at the BOP Studio at Morley College, London SE1 7HT.
- Bethany Kingsley Garner, Principle dancer with the Scottish Ballet, is joining Fumi Kaneko, Roberta Marquez & Fernanda Oliveira to teach a summer course for Balletstar at the Royal Ballet Studios on the 27th and 28th of August. For further information contact: www.balletstar.co.uk
- Mica Bradbury of the Royal Ballet is offering “A Masterclass With Mica” – a ballet class at the Royal Opera House plus an exclusive “Day in the life of a Royal Ballet dancer” backstage tour on the 2nd of July from 2.00pm – 5.00pm. For more details: email@example.com
- London Studio Centre announced the line up of teachers for its Commercial Dance Summer Intensive. These are: Briony Albert, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer, Randall Watson, Josh Denyer & John Graham. It will take place from the 8th of August until the 12th of August.
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Gaz Davis is offering a 3 day Mentor Programme for pro dancers on the 10th -12th of August in London. Contact Gaz on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Lukas McFarlane will hold an Intensive dance course from the 6th of September to the 15th of September. For more information contact: www.untitleddance.com
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Danceworks in London have a Summer Intensive with Marianela Nunez & Alejandro Parente from the 8th to the 12th of August.
- The TGS Summer Intensive will take place from the 25th to the 29th of July at the Hemingford Pavilion from 10.00 – 3.00pm daily. Collette Guitart (from “Six” & “& Juliet” ) will be the first guest with Michael Andrew Naylor the second guest. Wednesdays guests are Travis Kerry & Nick Kerry from “Hamilton” and on Thursday the guest will be Nikki Trow. On Friday it is Jordi Guitart. To book: email: email@example.com
- Lowri Jackson has a new weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Sophie Haws is offering a Commercial class on Sundays from 6.00 – 7.00pm for £8 at the JD Studio in Southampton.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Fridays from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: email@example.com
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem will star in the new movie musical “Spellbound”.
- We spotted Will West in the new video for Jungle’s “Good Times / Problemz”.
- We spotted Melissa Hamilton performing with Roberto Bolle in Milan.
- We spotted Hannah Sutton performing with Motley Crue.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.