All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Johannes Radebe’s Second UK Tour: Freedom Unleashed 2023.
TV dancing sensation and international champion Johannes Radebe is thrilled to be presenting a brand-new production Johannes Radebe: Freedom Unleashed, after the phenomenal success of his debut sell-out UK tour earlier this year. Johannes Radebe: Freedom Unleashed will open on 31 March and run through to 27 May 2023, performing across the UK and with a week-long run at London’s Peacock Theatre from 4 – 8 April 2023.
Little Simz and It’s A Sin secure wins at South Bank Sky Arts Awards.
British rapper Little Simz and Channel 4 mini-drama It’s A Sin have scooped accolades at the South Bank Sky Arts Awards at The Savoy Hotel in London. The South Bank Sky Arts Awards, hosted by Melvyn Bragg, celebrate a broad range of artistic genres including dance, theatre, music, TV and film.
London-born Little Simz, 28, took home the pop award for her fourth studio album Sometimes I Might Be Introvert, which also secured her a Brit award earlier this year.
The multi-award-winning Channel 4 drama It’s A Sin – which follows a group of gay friends as the HIV/Aids crisis hits London – won the award for TV drama, triumphing over Time starring Sean Bean and Stephen Graham and This Is Going To Hurt, based on Adam Kay’s bestselling memoir.
New Back to the Future The Musical cast announced.
The West End’s multi-award-winning Best New Musical has announced its new London cast. Back to the Future The Musical is heading into its second year at London’s Adelphi Theatre and has plans to transfer to Broadway in 2023. The new cast will begin from 17 August 2022. Tickets for Back to the Future The Musical are currently booking until 12 February 2023.
Back to the Future The Musical new cast
Ben Joyce will be taking over the lead role of Marty McFly. Joyce is currently delighting West End audiences in the role of Frankie Valli in Jersey Boys at London’s Trafalgar Theatre. Roger Bart will continue in the role of Dr Emmett Brown. Joining them will be Amber Davies (9 to 5 The Musical, Bring It On The Musical) as Lorraine Baines McFly, Oliver Nicholas (All Kinds of Limbo) as George McFly, Jordan Benjamin (Hairspray) as Goldie Wilson, Harry Jobson (The Urdang Academy 2022 graduate) as Biff Tannen, Sophie Naglik (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe) as Jennifer Parker and Gary Trainor (School of Rock) as Strickland. Will Haswell will continue as alternate Marty McFly and Dave McFly, and Emma Lloyd will continue as Linda McFly.
Continuing in the ensemble will be Amy Barker, Cameron McAllister, Alessia McDermott, Laura Mullowney, Melissa Rose, Justin Thomas and Tavio Wright. Joining the ensemble is Simeon Beckett, Sia Dauda, Tyler Davis, Glen Facey, Dylan Gordon-Jones, Adam Margilewski, Bryan Mottram, Anna Murray, Jon Reynolds, Georgia Tapp and Charley Warburton.
Back to the Future Musical creative team
The award-winning musical is directed by Tony Award-winning director John Rando with a multi-Tony and Olivier Award-winning design team including Tim Hatley (set and costume design), Tim Lutkin (lighting), Hugh Vanstone (lighting consultant), Gareth Owen (sound) and Finn Ross (video), with choreography by Chris Bailey, musical supervision and arrangements by Nick Finlow and illusions by Chris Fisher. The musical features orchestrations by Ethan Popp and Bryan Crook, with dance arrangements by David Chase. There is casting by David Grindrod Associates.
Hamilton extends West End run to March 2023.
Smash-hit musical Hamilton has extended its West End run through to March 2023. You can be in the room where it happened this Christmas and New Year! Now starring Reuben Joseph in the lead role of Alexander Hamilton. Tickets for Hamilton at London’s Victoria Palace Theatre are now booking through to 4 March 2023.
What is Hamilton about?
Hamilton tells the story of America’s Founding Father Alexander Hamilton. During the Revolutionary War, an immigrant, Hamilton, became George Washington’s right-hand and went on to shape the foundations of the America we know today. The score by Lin-Manuel Miranda blends hip-hop, jazz, blues, rap, R&B and Broadway – the story of America then, as told by America now.
Hamilton London cast and creative team
Starring in the title role of Alexander Hamilton is Reuben Joseph. Joining him is Simon-Anthony Rhoden as Aaron Burr, Allyson Ava-Brown as Angelica Schuyler, Shan Ako as Eliza Hamilton, Roshani Abbey as Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds, Trevor Dion Nicholas as George Washington, Waylon Jacobs as Marquis De Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson, Emile Ruddock as Hercules Mulligan/James Madison, Jake Halsey-Jones as John Laurens/Philip Hamilton and Joel Montague as King George III. For certain performances Alex Sawyer will play the role of Alexander Hamilton.
The company is complete by Jade Albertsen, Curtis Angus, Maya Britto, Matthew Caputo, Filippo Coffano, Ashley Daniels, Kelly Downing, Matthew Elliot-Campbell, Jordan Frazier, Manaia Glassey-Ohlson, Olivia Kate Holding, Barney Hudson, DeAngelo Jones, Phoebe Liberty Jones, Nicolais-Andre Kerry, Travis Kerry, Ella Kora, Natasha Leaver, Aaron Lee Lambert, Louis Mackrodt, Kerri Norville, Samuel Sarpong-Broni, Lindsey Tierney and Brandon Williams.
Hamilton has a book, music and lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda and is directed by Thomas Kail. The musical features choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler, musical supervision and orchestrations by Alex Lacamoire, scenic design by David Korins, costume design by Paul Tazewell, lighting design by Howell Binkley, sound design by Nevin Steinberg and hair and wig design by Charles G. LaPointe.
A Few Of The Best musicals in London 2022.
Want to try something out of the ordinary? Here’s our pick of the best immersive experiences you should try in London this year, with themes including Stranger Things, Jurassic World and Van Gogh, taking place all throughout the summer.
Best West End shows in London at a glance
TINA: The Tina Turner Musical, from £12
Six the Musical, from £13
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, from £15
Get Up, Stand Up!, from £18
Back to the Future: The Musical, from £19.55
Good The Play, from £20
The Woman in Black, from £21.50
Wicked, from £23.50
The Book of Mormon, from £24
Come From Away, from £24
Matilda the Musical, from £24
Hamilton, from £24
Les Misérables, from £24
& Juliet, from £24.50
Upstart Crow, from £28.75
The Lion King, from £30
My Neighbour Totoro, from £30
Dear Evan Hansen, from £30
Frozen: The West End Musical, from £30
Heathers the Musical, from £45
Mad House, from £48
General News & Sighting
- This week many theatres made adjustments in light of the record breaking heatwave – “Six” led the way with hydration breaks for the performers.
- The law has changed in relation to teaching 16 and 17 year old children. The NSPCC has created some specific guidance for dancers.
- West End backstage workers have rejected a 10% pay increase which had “strings attached”. (The Stage)
- The new musical “Ride” will begin performances at the Charing Cross theatre in London from the 25th of August (until the 27th of September). It will star Liv Andrusier and Yuki Sutton. The choreography is by Natasha Harrison.
- Casting has been confirmed for the UK premiere of “Mrs Doubtfire – The Musical”. It will star Gabriel Vick and Laura Tebbutt and run at the Manchester Opera House from the 2nd of September. The choreography is by Lorin Latarro.
- It was confirmed that Ben Joyce will be taking on the role of Marty McFly in the West End production of “Back To The Future”. Amber Davies will join the cast as Lorraine. The new cast will begin performances on the 17th of August. The choreography is by Chris Bailey, with additional dance arrangements by David Chase.
- Initial casting has been revealed for the forthcoming UK tour of “White Christmas – The Musical”. It will star Jay McGuiness and Lorna Luft and be choreographed by Stephen Mear. The show will open at the Truro Hall in Cornwall on the 12th of November before touring.
- “Cabaret” has extended its West End run until the 7th of January 2023. The choreography is by Julie Cheng.
- Lead casting has been revealed for “Cinderella” which will run at the Hope Mill Theatre. Grace Mouat will play the role of Ella. Cherise Logan will be the Associate Choreographer.
- Johannes Radebe announced his “Freedom Unleashed” tour for 2023.
- Katya Jones announced that she will be doing “Celebrity Masterchef”.
- The Royal Ballet announced its company promotions, new joiners and leavers. We spotted that Joseph Sissens is promoted to First Soloist and Ashley Dean is promoted to Soloist.
- West End producer Nica Burns announced the opening of Soho Place, the first new build West End theatre for 50 years. The theatre will be owned by Nica and operated by Nimax.
Future Dance Events News
- ZooNation announced its production of “Mixtape” – celebrating 20 years of the Kate Prince company. It will take place at Sadlers Wells from the 5th to the 8th of October. The performance will be co-directed by Dannielle “Rhimes” Lecointe and Bradley Charles. There will be special guest performers from the past and the present.
- Simon Lipkin and Georgina Castle will star in the West End revival of the musical “Elf” at the Dominion Theatre. The choreography is by Liam Steel. The show will open on the 14th of November.
- “Annie” will embark on a new tour in 2023, opening at the Curve Theatre in Leicester on the 25th of February before touring.
- “Back To The Future” has revealed plans to open on Broadway in 2023.
- Dolly Parton’s “Smokey Mountain Christmas Carol – A New Musical” will get a European premiere in December at the Southbank Centre in London. It will play from the 8th of December until the 8th of January 2023.
- Further touring dates were announced for the new production of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – The Musical”. It will open at the Leeds Playhouse on the 18th of November.
- Casting was announced for the world premiere of “Mandela”, the new musical at The Young Vic theatre in London. It will star Michael Luwoye as Nelson Mandela and Danielle Fiamanya as Winnie Mandela. The show will run from the 29th of November until the 4th of February 2023. The choreography is by Gregory Maqoma.
- “The Bodyguard” will embark on a new UK tour at Glasgow on the 28th of January 2023.
- Further casting and an additional date has been announced for “Chess The Musical In Concert”. It will now play 2 dates at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane on the 1st and 2nd of August. The Director and Choreographer is Nick Winston. The Associate Director and Choreographer is Alexzandra Sarmiento.
- Casting was announced for the Edinburgh Fringe run of “I Wish My Life Were Like A Musical”. The show will run at the Gilders Ballon from the 3rd of August until the 28th of August. The Direction and Choreography is by Joanna Goodwin.
- Disney’s musical “Newsies” will begin at the Troubadour Theatre Wembley Park on the 29th of November, with an official premiere on the 8th of December. Direction and choreography is by Matt Cole, with Jane McMurtrie as Associate Choreographer.
- A new production of “Shrek The Musical” announced a UK tour from July 2023. Nick Winston will be the choreographer.
- “Dirty Dancing” is to return to the Dominion Theatre on the 21st of January 2023. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- A new production of “From Here To Eternity” is coming to the Charing Cross Theatre from the 29th of October. Cressida Carre will be the choreographer.
- The complete cast and creatives have been revealed for Chichester Festival’s revival of “Crazy For You”. Susan Stroman will direct and choreograph the production. It will run from the 11th of July until the 4th of September.
- A star-studded “Sondheim” concert is to take place at the Cadogan Hall in London on the 23rd of July.
- To mark the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham this summer, the Birmingham Royal Ballet is presenting a triple bill of “On Your Marks”, “Interlinked”, and “Lazuli Sky”.
- Casting has been announced for the new UK tour of “Strictly Ballroom”. It will star Kevin Clifton and Maisie Smith and begin in Portsmouth on the 26th of September.
- Three musical concerts will take place in August at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, in London. The first will be the concert version of “Chess” on the 1st of August, starring Hadley Fraser & Samantha Barks.The Director and Choreographer is Nick Winston and Alexzandria Sarmiento. On the 8th of August it will be “Kinky Boots” starring Cedric Neil & Courtney Bowman. Finally on the 22nd of August there is a new musical called “Treason”, with choreography by Taylor Walker.
- The Edinburgh Festival takes place from the 5th of August until the 28th of August this year. Dance highlights include Scottish Ballet’s “Coppelia”, Akram Khan’s new “Jungle Book Reimagined”, the UK premiere of Kyle Abraham’s “An Untitled Love” plus Aakash Odedra’s “Samsara”.
- The “Secret Garden” musical is to be staged at the London Palladium on the 28th of August. It will be directed by Nick Winston.
- Brit Award winner Becky Hill makes her Ibiza Rocks debut this summer with a 6 weeks residency.
- Sir Ian McKellen is to perform alongside ballet dancers in a new show based on “Hamlet” at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
- A new “Strictly Presents” tour was announced. It will feature contestants Maisie Smith & Rhys Stephenson, who will be joined by Strictly pro dancers Neil, Cameron, Jowita & Nancy. The show will tour in June and July.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
Auditions & Vacancies
- META4 is looking for 4 North East contemporary dancers to create it’s “Jumpers for Goalposts”. There will be 2 weeks of creation, 5 workshops and 5 performances. The audition is at Dance City in Newcastle on the 12th of August from 10.30 – 4.00pm. The deadline to apply is the 27th of July. For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Three Rings Agency are holding an open audition to find “marketable dancers” on the 25th of August – boys are at 10.00am and girls at 11.30am. For more information contact: email@example.com
- Michael Danilczuk, winner of “The Greatest Dancer”, is looking for a dance teacher for his studio. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
- Three Rings Agency is looking for dancers for show contracts in Las Vegas. Contact: email@example.com
- Pontins is looking for dancers to join their entertainment teams around the UK. Find out more and apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drew McOnie is looking for female dancers for a paid creative development period. They must be available from the 25th to the 29th of July and the 1st of August. It is in Central London. For further deails contact: email@example.com
- The Place in London is looking for Professional Dance Teachers. Visit the website for further details and how to apply.
- Winchester Theatre Arts is looking for a dance teacher. This is a permanent position starting in September. For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- One Dance UK is seeking an experienced Project Manager. Enquiries and applications should be directed to: email@example.com
- English National Ballet has launched a global search for a new Artistic Director to replace Tamara Rojo CBE. For more information visit: www.odgers.com/85718.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joanne Clifton is doing a workshop at The Crown Ballroom on the 3rd of September at 2.00pm for £20.
- Charlie Bruce has a Jazz & Contemporary workshop on the 13th of August from 10.00 – 12.00pm for £6 at Tu Danse Studios in Peterborough. You can book on: Charliebruce@gmx.com
- Chrissy Brooke is teaching on the 16th of August at the Forte Studios in Little Hadham. The Juniors will be from 10.00 – 11.30am for £15 and the Seniors from 11.30 – 3.30pm for £30. Contact: www.forte.studio.performingarts
- The Oti and Marius Dance Studio is presenting a “Night of the Stars – An Evening of Dance” with showcases and competitions on Saturday the 23rd of July from 7.00 – 11.00pm.
- Bethany Kingsley Garner, Principle dancer with the Scottish Ballet, is joining Fumi Kaneko, Roberta Marquez & Fernanda Oliveira to teach a summer course for Balletstar at the Royal Ballet Studios on the 27th and 28th of August. For further information contact: www.balletstar.co.uk
- London Studio Centre announced the line up of teachers for its Commercial Dance Summer Intensive. These are: Briony Albert, Philip Birchall, Lisa Spencer, Randall Watson, Josh Denyer & John Graham. It will take place from the 8th of August until the 12th of August.
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Gaz Davis is offering a 3 day Mentor Programme for pro dancers on the 10th -12th of August in London. Contact Gaz on: email@example.com
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Lukas McFarlane will hold an Intensive dance course from the 6th of September to the 15th of September. For more information contact: www.untitleddance.com
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Danceworks in London have a Summer Intensive with Marianela Nunez & Alejandro Parente from the 8th to the 12th of August.
- The TGS Summer Intensive will take place from the 25th to the 29th of July at the Hemingford Pavilion from 10.00 – 3.00pm daily. Collette Guitart (from “Six” & “& Juliet” ) will be the first guest with Michael Andrew Naylor the second guest. Wednesdays guests are Travis Kerry & Nick Kerry from “Hamilton” and on Thursday the guest will be Nikki Trow. On Friday it is Jordi Guitart. To book: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lowri Jackson has a new weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: email@example.com
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio. Christabelle also teaches at the Dance Attic on Thursday from 6.15 – 8.15pm.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
Film And Video
- The “Wicked” film adaptation, starring Ariana Grande, will begin filming at the newly built Sky Studios in Elstree in November. The rehearsal process will begin in August.
- We spotted Erin Corfield performing with “A Night At The Musicals” at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield.
- We spotted Sally Jayne Hind, Emily Barnett Salter & Nicolle Matheu performing in the Secret Cinema production of “Dirty Dancing”.
- We spotted Julia Ruiz Fernandez filming at Warner Bros for “Fast & Furious 10”.
- We spotted the following dancers in the latest Freeman’s TV advert: Oluwatosin, Carmelle Rudder, Emma Atkins, Anna Sporri & Lewis Wilkins. The choreography is by Marie McGonigle.
- We spotted Zoe Slatter performing with Sinitta at Bournemouth Pride.
- We spotted Chrissy Brooke’s feet in the latest advert for Levi’s.
- In America, we spotted Caoife Coleman in the new TV advert for Wendy’s “Hot & Crispy”.
Today is an incredibly sad day for a lot of people in the commercial dance world. Our thoughts are with the family and many friends of Dani Hampson.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.