All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Strictly Winner Rose Ayling-Ellis Confirms EastEnders Exit.
Strictly Come Dancing winner Rose Ayling-Ellis has announced that she is to leave EastEnders after two years. The actress has been playing Frankie Lewis in the BBC One soap. She was the first deaf actor to play a regular character on the soap.
Since joining in 2020, Rose had been involved in a number of big storylines, including Frankie discovering she is the daughter of Danny Dyer’s character Mick Carter, who was abused as a child. The 27-year-old has said she’ll “treasure” her time in Walford as her exit was confirmed.
Speaking of her departure, she said: “It’s been incredibly special to be EastEnders’ first regular deaf actor. I have loved my time on the show and Frankie has been such an awesome character to play, however now feels like the right time for me to move on and I am excited and ready for new challenges.
She added: “I will always treasure my time on the show and all the incredible people I have worked with, who have supported my growth as an actor these last two years and given me so many amazing memories. I am excited for viewers to see Frankie’s exit storyline; I think it’s a really important one that will hit home for lots of people.”
Rose also took to Instagram to share a series of images of herself posing on the set from her first to her last day. One image showed her gripping onto a signed ‘Albert Square’ sign and a bouquet of flowers. Anorher saw her posing with the Carter family. “Start from my very last day on the square,” she penned.
Arlene Phillips’s ‘House of Flamenka’ to open in London.
The dance production opens at the Peacock Theatre.
The flamenco and contemporary dance spectacular, House of Flamenka, will open in the West End later this year. House of Flamenka runs at the Peacock Theatre from 27 September to 8 October. Book House of Flamenka tickets on London Theatre.
House of Flamenka follows a woman who collects beautiful objects, notably her 20 extraordinary dancers and musicians who perform for her. House of Flamenka will feature a variety of flamenco and contemporary routines.
Karen Ruimy leads the House of Flamenka company made up of dancers from Spain and the UK. Ruimy co-coreates the shows with Grease West End choreographer, Arlene Phillips. Additional choreography is by James Cousins and Francisco Hidalgo.
Strictly Come Dancing 2022: The Line-Up in Full.
Craig Revel Horwood, Motsi Mabuse, Shirley Ballas and Anton Du Beke will all return to the judging panel this year
The Strictly Come Dancing line-up is complete, with Kym Marsh, Fleur East, Ellie Simonds and Matt Goss among this year’s contestants. Helen Skelton, Will Mellor and Kaye Adams will also appear when the dancing competition returns next month.
Craig Revel Horwood, Motsi Mabuse and head judge Shirley Ballas will all be back on the Strictly judging panel. They will be joined once again by Anton Du Beke, who has now permanently taken over from Bruno Tonioli. The show is set to return to BBC One in September. Here are all 15 of this year’s Strictly stars:
The BBC flagship programe fronted by Cludia Winkleman and Tess Daly is set to start in a matter of weeks for its 20th year.
General News & Sighting
- On the 4th of August ballerina Galina Vasilyevna Volodin and her 12 year old student Katya Kutubaeva were killed in Donetsk by Russian shelling.
- Theatres have revealed huge increases in their heating bills, as they warn that venues across the UK will close without Government support (The Stage).
- Performers have warned that 9 – show weeks are putting them under increased mental and physical strain, with the industry facing renewed pressure to address working conditions in theatre urgently (The Stage).
- Producers of the West End production of “Grease” have dedicated the rest of its run to the memory of Olivia Newton-John, who has passed away aged 73.
- The “Dancing Times” announced that September will be its last edition.
- The Musical Theatre Academy (MTA) announced that it would be closing.
- The new cast has been announced for the West End show “Cabaret”. Callum Showells and Madeline Brewer will join the show as the Emcee and Sally Bowles. The new cast begin on the 3rd of October.
- Complete casting for “The Colour Purple Tour” has been announced. Me’sha Bryan, Bree Smith and Aaliyah Zhane will star. The show will open in Birmingham on the 13th of September. The choreography is by Mark Smith. Gail Parmel & Iona Waite are Associate Choreographers.
- Full casting has been announced for the upcoming tour of “Strictly Ballroom” which opens in Portsmouth on the 26th of September. It stars Kevin Clifton, Maisie Smith and Danielle Cato as Tina Sparkle.
- Casting has been revealed for “The Time Traveller’s Wife”. David Hunter and Joanna Woodward lead the cast with Hiba Elchikhe as Charisse. The choreography is by Shelley Maxwell. It will premiere at the Storyhouse in Chester on the 30th of September and continue until the 15th of October.
- Will Burton has become the Company Casting Director at the McOnie Dance Company.
- The nominees for this years Stage Debut Awards have been announced. The awards will be held on the 18th of September.
- The staging of the unofficial “Bridgerton” musical at the Royal Albert Hall has been cancelled after Netflix filed a lawsuit.
- Fatima Robinso has been nominated for an Emmy for her choreography with Beyonce at the Oscars.
- Roisin Whelan has been commissioned by Ballet Ireland to create a new dance work for families – “The Greenhouse” will tour from October.
- Vyvyan Lorrayne, a former Principle dancer with the Royal Ballet, has passed away aged 83.
Future Dance Events News
- A new dance show co-created and directed by Arlene Phillips will play at the Peacock Theatre in the West End from the 27th of September until the 8th of October. The “House of Flamenka” will star Karen Ruimy. The choreographer is James Cousins.
- The Mill at Sonning has unveiled its 2022-23 season of shows including two musical revivals: “Top Hat” will star Jonny Labey with choreography from Ashley Nottingham and take place from the 16th of November until the 30th of December. “Gypsy” will play from the 24th of May until the 15th of July. The casting and creatives for the latter show have yet to be announced.
- “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” has confirmed new dates for its second UK tour which begins in September 2023. It will open at The Lowry in Salford on the 7th of September.
- ZooNation announced its production of “Mixtape” – celebrating 20 years of the Kate Prince company. It will take place at Sadlers Wells from the 5th to the 8th of October. The performance will be co-directed by Dannielle “Rhimes” Lecointe and Bradley Charles. There will be special guest performers from the past and the present.
- Simon Lipkin and Georgina Castle will star in the West End revival of the musical “Elf” at the Dominion Theatre. The choreography is by Liam Steel. The show will open on the 14th of November.
- “Annie” will embark on a new tour in 2023, opening at the Curve Theatre in Leicester on the 25th of February before touring.
- “Back To The Future” has revealed plans to open on Broadway in 2023.
- Dolly Parton’s “Smokey Mountain Christmas Carol – A New Musical” will get a European premiere in December at the Southbank Centre in London. It will play from the 8th of December until the 8th of January 2023.
- Further touring dates were announced for the new production of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – The Musical”. It will open at the Leeds Playhouse on the 18th of November.
- Casting was announced for the world premiere of “Mandela”, the new musical at The Young Vic theatre in London. It will star Michael Luwoye as Nelson Mandela and Danielle Fiamanya as Winnie Mandela. The show will run from the 29th of November until the 4th of February 2023. The choreography is by Gregory Maqoma.
- “The Bodyguard” will embark on a new UK tour at Glasgow on the 28th of January 2023.
- Casting was announced for the Edinburgh Fringe run of “I Wish My Life Were Like A Musical”. The show will run at the Gilders Ballon from the 3rd of August until the 28th of August. The Direction and Choreography is by Joanna Goodwin.
- Disney’s musical “Newsies” will begin at the Troubadour Theatre Wembley Park on the 29th of November, with an official premiere on the 8th of December. Direction and choreography is by Matt Cole, with Jane McMurtrie as Associate Choreographer.
- A new production of “Shrek The Musical” announced a UK tour from July 2023. Nick Winston will be the choreographer.
- “Dirty Dancing” is to return to the Dominion Theatre on the 21st of January 2023. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- A new production of “From Here To Eternity” is coming to the Charing Cross Theatre from the 29th of October. Cressida Carre will be the choreographer.
- The complete cast and creatives have been revealed for Chichester Festival’s revival of “Crazy For You”. Susan Stroman will direct and choreograph the production. It will run from the 11th of July until the 4th of September.
- To mark the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham this summer, the Birmingham Royal Ballet is presenting a triple bill of “On Your Marks”, “Interlinked”, and “Lazuli Sky”.
- Casting has been announced for the new UK tour of “Strictly Ballroom”. It will star Kevin Clifton and Maisie Smith and begin in Portsmouth on the 26th of September.
- Two musical concerts will take place in August at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, in London. On the 8th of August it will be “Kinky Boots” starring Cedric Neil & Courtney Bowman and on the 22nd of August there is a new musical called “Treason”, with choreography by Taylor Walker.
- The Edinburgh Festival takes place from the 5th of August until the 28th of August this year. Dance highlights include Scottish Ballet’s “Coppelia”, Akram Khan’s new “Jungle Book Reimagined”, the UK premiere of Kyle Abraham’s “An Untitled Love” plus Aakash Odedra’s “Samsara”.
- The “Secret Garden” musical is to be staged at the London Palladium on the 28th of August. It will be directed by Nick Winston.
- Brit Award winner Becky Hill makes her Ibiza Rocks debut this summer with a 6 weeks residency.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- A 30th anniversary revival of “Crazy For You” will be staged in Chichester from the 11th of July until the 4th of September. It will be directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman – who choreographed the original production in 1992 for which she won the Tony award for Best Choreography.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- The Chantry Dance Company announced that it’s 2022 production would be “Beauty And The Beast”. The tour details will be announced shortly.
- It was announced that Nicola Benedetti will become the new Director of the Edinburgh Festival in October 2022.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty” will return on tour this Winter, opening in Plymouth on the 12th of November. Further tour dates and casting is to be announced shortly.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
Auditions & Vacancies
- Scottish Dance Theatre is having auditions in Dundee on the 24th of September and London on the 1st of October. The deadline to apply is the 26th of August. Visit the website for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The London Cabaret Club has auditions on the 24th of August for male and female ballet dancers at its venue in London. Registration is at 6.00pm. The contract is from the 5th September until the 19th of November.
- Yorkshire Dance is offering 10 dance artists the chance to take part in a paid artist workshop exploring what “Dance of the African Diaspora” means to them. The deadline for applications is the 30th of August. Contact Yorkshire Dance for further information: www.yorkshiredance.com
- Roisin Whelan in Ireland has an audition on the 8th of October at Dance Ireland in Dublin – by invitation only. The deadline for applications is the 29th of August. For more information contact: email@example.com
- East West Events are auditioning dancers for Warner Bros World in Abu Dhabi. Females have to be 5ft 3ins – 5ft 8ins and Males 5ft 7ins – 6ft 2ins. The audition is by invitation only on the 21st of August at 10.00am at Unit 3, Brixton Road, SW9 6DE. Contact Graeme Pickering at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alton Towers are currently recruiting performers for the Halloween Season. Visit the website to apply.
- Performers College Birmingham are recruiting for a Principle Lecturer of Jazz and Tap. For further information, contact: email@example.com
- The Three Rings Agency are holding an open audition to find “marketable dancers” on the 25th of August – boys are at 10.00am and girls at 11.30am. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Danilczuk, winner of “The Greatest Dancer”, is looking for a dance teacher for his studio. Contact: email@example.com for further details.
- Three Rings Agency is looking for dancers for show contracts in Las Vegas. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pontins is looking for dancers to join their entertainment teams around the UK. Find out more and apply to: email@example.com
- The Place in London is looking for Professional Dance Teachers. Visit the website for further details and how to apply.
- One Dance UK is seeking an experienced Project Manager. Enquiries and applications should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- English National Ballet has launched a global search for a new Artistic Director to replace Tamara Rojo CBE. For more information visit: www.odgers.com/85718.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: email@example.com
- Giada Lini from Strictly has a latin dance class on the 28th of August at 4.00pm at the Dance Attic in London. Book on: www.dancingwithgraz.com
- Karen Edwards has a Jazz Isolation Technique class at Pineapple on the 23rd of August from 3.00 – 4.30pm for £10.
- Emma Northhouse & Didy Veldman are offering DancEnhance – ballet & contemporary – on the 2nd of October at the Royal Ballet Upper School in Covent Garden. For more info: www.balletboost.com/dancenhance
- Antonia Catriona Eloisa DiCarlo has a Heels class in Inverness at the Everlast Fitness Studio on the 25th of August at 7.30pm. To book please contact: 07563804572
- Tap Attack have a Tap intensive on the 23rd and 24th of August at the Wilkes Academy in Swindon.
- Carrie Willis will be doing a series of Theatre Jazz pop ups at the Pineapple Dance studios on the: 19th & 26th of August plus the 2nd of September. You can book online.
- Joanne Clifton is doing a workshop at The Crown Ballroom on the 3rd of September at 2.00pm for £20.
- Bethany Kingsley Garner, Principle dancer with the Scottish Ballet, is joining Fumi Kaneko, Roberta Marquez & Fernanda Oliveira to teach a summer course for Balletstar at the Royal Ballet Studios on the 27th and 28th of August. For further information contact: www.balletstar.co.uk
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Lukas McFarlane will hold an Intensive dance course from the 6th of September to the 15th of September. For more information contact: www.untitleddance.com
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Lowri Jackson has a weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio. Christabelle also teaches at the Dance Attic on Thursday from 6.15 – 8.15pm.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
Film And Video
- We spotted the following dancers at the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony: Erin Wilkes, Danni Grove, Rosie Wilson Sidlauskas, Chloe Sismanis, Lashay Harvey, Kate Thompson, Brogan Woods, Zara Richards, Brooke Mason, Pfion Vince, Victoria Mudima, Ella Goodwin & Charlie Anne Robinson.
- We spotted Jaslyn Reader working on “The Voice” in Germany.
**Over the Summer Months, Dincwear will be putting the “Pro Dancer News” out every 2 weeks as there is not so much dance and entertainment news around. We will start publishing the news weekly again in September.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.