All the latest news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Queen Elizabeth II Funeral.
On Monday 19 September 2022 – the day of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II funeral – the nation will come together to reflect on her long, happy and glorious reign.
We extend our heartfelt sympathy to His Majesty The King Charles, The Royal Family and all those whose lives she touched.
Several West End and London theatre shows will close for the Queen’s funeral on Monday 19 September. King Charles III has declared the day a bank holiday and many venues across the capital have closed as a result and out of respect for the Queen.
Queen Elizabeth II sadly passed away “peacefully” in Balmoral on Thursday 8 September. And for the first time since the death of Winston Churchill, London will be the home of the state funeral held for the Queen.
Despite London theatres releasing statements following the death of the Queen that they would mirror her ‘show-must-go on attitude’, many West End shows have now announced they will close on Monday 19th September 2022.
New start date for Strictly Come Dancing announced after show postponed.
The popular BBC show was originally due to launch this Saturday, September 17. Instead, the BBC has confirmed the pre-recorded launch show where the couples get matched with their celebrity partners has been delayed and will now air on Friday, September 23, a few days after the late monarch’s state funeral.
The first live show will air on the following day, Saturday, September 24.
While government guidelines do not state that television shows and events must be canceled during the Queen’s mourning period, many shows have been rescheduled due to extensive news coverage.
The BBC will now air Paddington movies in a sweet homage to the Queen. The first of the Paddington films will air on Saturday when Strictly was scheduled to take place. On the evening of the monarch’s funeral Paddington 2 will air, as another respectful, yet sweet way to bring the country together in memory of Queen Elizabeth II.
Paddington has a particularly sentimental link to Her Majesty as the Queen’s Paddington performance was one of the most beloved and memorable moments of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
General News & Sighting
- Most shows in the West End will close for the Queen’s funeral on the 19th of September.
- Oleksandr Shapovalov, the Ukrainian ballet star and choreographer, died on the battlefield on the 12th of September.
- Theatres will be supported for 6 months under the new Prime Minister’s plan to tackle the energy crisis.
- Michelle Donelan becomes the 11th Culture Secretary in 12 years.
- The Strictly launch show will air on the 23rd of September on BBC1. The 4 new pro dancers, Lauren, Michelle, Carlos & Vito, will be introduced via a cinematic dance routine. The first live show will air on the 24th of September, with “It takes Two” beginning on the 26th of September.
- The Chantry Dance Company production of “Beauty and the Beast”, starring Rae Piper, Paul Chantry and Shannon Parker, will open at the Guildhall Arts centre tonight before touring the UK.
- Full tour dates and casting was announced for Sir Matthew Bourne’s “Sleeping Beauty”. It will open in Plymouth on the 12th of November and star Ashley Shaw as Princess Aurora.
- New casting was announced for “Moulin Rouge” in the West End. Jamie Muscato & Melissa James will play Christian & Satire from the 17th of October. The new cast includes: Will Bozier, Katie Deacon, Honey Joseph and Jason Leigh Winter. Jason will be the Dance Captain with Georgia Morgan as Assistant Dance Captain.
- “The Choir Of Man” revealed its cast for the West End return. The choreography is by Freddie Huddleston, with Rachel Chapman as Associate Choreographer. It will open on the 1st of October at the Arts Theatre.
- Erin Caldwell is joining the West End cast of “Heathers” as Veronica, while Jason “JD” Dean will be played by Nathanael Landskroner. The choreography is by Gary Lloyd.
- The West End show “Mamma Mia” announced some new additions to the cast, including Meg Hateley (whose Mum Liz used to star in the show), Natasha Heyward and Olivia Lallo.
- Erica Mulkern will perform “Suzy Homemaker” at Barker’s Pool in Sheffield on the 20th of September at 11.30am – 12.30pm as part of the Festival of the Mind.
- Sadlers Wells is launching an International Dance Competition, with prize money of more than £50,000, in order to raise the profile of dance in line with awards such as the Oscars.
- Solange Urdang and Omar Okai revealed the shortlist for this years Black British Theatre Awards.
- Christopher Tendai was made Head of Dance at the International College of Musical Theatre.
- A Gala by Mbulelo Ndabeni and his friends will be held on the 24th & 25th of September at the South African High Commission to celebrate South African Heritage Day and raise funds for the MN Foundation.
- Sir Peter Wright has been appointed Founding Director Laureate of the Birmingham Royal Ballet.
- Robert LuPone, the actor, dancer and director, has passed away aged 76.
Future Dance Events News
- The cast and creatives of the Theatre du Chatelet’s production of “42nd Street” have been announced. It will be directed and choreographed by Stephen Mear and will open on the 7th of December.
- The “Ballet Icons Gala” will take place on the 19th of February 2023 at the London Coliseum. Graham Watts is the Artistic Advisor.
- Disney’s “Winnie The Pooh” will be coming to a UK theatre in Spring 2023.
- The new production of “We Will Rock You” will begin its world tour in Manila in October. The choreography is by Nick Winston.
- A new dance show co-created and directed by Arlene Phillips will play at the Peacock Theatre in the West End from the 27th of September until the 8th of October. The “House of Flamenka” will star Karen Ruimy. The choreographer is James Cousins.
- The Mill at Sonning has unveiled its 2022-23 season of shows including two musical revivals: “Top Hat” will star Jonny Labey with choreography from Ashley Nottingham and take place from the 16th of November until the 30th of December. “Gypsy” will play from the 24th of May until the 15th of July. The casting and creatives for the latter show have yet to be announced.
- “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” has confirmed new dates for its second UK tour which begins in September 2023. It will open at The Lowry in Salford on the 7th of September.
- ZooNation announced its production of “Mixtape” – celebrating 20 years of the Kate Prince company. It will take place at Sadlers Wells from the 5th to the 8th of October. The performance will be co-directed by Dannielle “Rhimes” Lecointe and Bradley Charles. There will be special guest performers from the past and the present.
- Simon Lipkin and Georgina Castle will star in the West End revival of the musical “Elf” at the Dominion Theatre. The choreography is by Liam Steel. The show will open on the 14th of November.
- “Annie” will embark on a new tour in 2023, opening at the Curve Theatre in Leicester on the 25th of February before touring.
- “Back To The Future” has revealed plans to open on Broadway in 2023.
- Dolly Parton’s “Smokey Mountain Christmas Carol – A New Musical” will get a European premiere in December at the Southbank Centre in London. It will play from the 8th of December until the 8th of January 2023.
- Further touring dates were announced for the new production of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – The Musical”. It will open at the Leeds Playhouse on the 18th of November.
- Casting was announced for the world premiere of “Mandela”, the new musical at The Young Vic theatre in London. It will star Michael Luwoye as Nelson Mandela and Danielle Fiamanya as Winnie Mandela. The show will run from the 29th of November until the 4th of February 2023. The choreography is by Gregory Maqoma.
- “The Bodyguard” will embark on a new UK tour at Glasgow on the 28th of January 2023.
- Disney’s musical “Newsies” will begin at the Troubadour Theatre Wembley Park on the 29th of November, with an official premiere on the 8th of December. Direction and choreography is by Matt Cole, with Jane McMurtrie as Associate Choreographer.
- A new production of “Shrek The Musical” announced a UK tour from July 2023. Nick Winston will be the choreographer.
- “Dirty Dancing” is to return to the Dominion Theatre on the 21st of January 2023. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- A new production of “From Here To Eternity” is coming to the Charing Cross Theatre from the 29th of October. Cressida Carre will be the choreographer.
- Casting has been announced for the new UK tour of “Strictly Ballroom”. It will star Kevin Clifton and Maisie Smith and begin in Portsmouth on the 26th of September.
- Disney musical “Newsies” will have its UK premiere on the 28th of November at the Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, London. The choreography is by Matt Cole.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
Auditions & Vacancies
- The Joffrey Ballet School of the USA will be holding auditions at the Can You Dance Super Convention on the 15th & 16th of October in Liverpool.
- Taira Foo is looking for dancers of playing age 35+ for her new project. Rehearsals will be from the 7th until the 24th of November in London, with a performance on the 25th of November in Liverpool. The fee is £1,482 plus accommodation. For more information, contact Taira at: email@example.com
- The Pegasus Theatre is offering £1,000 to 3 dance artists to showcase their work in “Moving With The Times”, part of the 2023 Dancing Oxford Spring Dance Festival taking place on the 3rd and 4th of March 2023. For more information contact: www.pegasustheatre.org.uk
- Oceania Cruises are looking for dancers. There is a casting in London on the 27th of September – by appointment only. Contact Pearson Casting to get your appointment on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Burn The Floor is looking for 10 dancers who specialise in Ballroom. Email: email@example.com
- Celebrity Cruises have an audition in London for dancers on the 20th and 21st of September (with a recall on the 22nd) at Pineapple Dance Studios – by appointment only. For more information contact: www.celebritycruisesentertainment.com
- Erica Mulkern is looking for a Ballet Teacher – cover in Leeds for the 10th of October, 14th of November and the 21st of November for Advanced Ballet Technique at Leeds University. Email Erica on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sadlers Wells and Uchenna Dance is looking for experienced dancers to join the cast of “Our Mighty Groove”. The auditions are on the 20th and 21st of October with a call-back on the 28th. Apply by the 26th of September. Application forms are on the Sadlers Wells website.
- The Las Vegas show “Rouge” is looking for male dancers who are eligible to work in America. For more details contact: email@example.com
- Alton Towers are currently recruiting performers for the Halloween Season. Visit the website to apply.
- Performers College Birmingham are recruiting for a Principle Lecturer of Jazz and Tap. For further information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Three Rings Agency is looking for dancers for show contracts in Las Vegas. Contact: email@example.com
- Pontins is looking for dancers to join their entertainment teams around the UK. Find out more and apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Place in London is looking for Professional Dance Teachers. Visit the website for further details and how to apply.
- One Dance UK is seeking an experienced Project Manager. Enquiries and applications should be directed to: email@example.com
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joanne Clifton is giving a workshop on the 21st of October at 7.00pm at the Bull Theatre in High Barnett for £15. You can book online at: www.dancewright.co.uk/classes
- Renako McDonald is doing a workshop on the 3rd of October from 10.30 – 1.30pm at the Pineapple Studios. Book on: Renakomc@hotmail.com
- Flavia Cacace is offering a Beginners Couples Class at Blackawton Village Hall, Totnes, on Thursdays at 7.00pm. Email: email@example.com
- BOP Jazz Theatre Artists Development Lab will take place every Friday at Morley College with Dollie Henry, starting on the 7th of October from 12.00 – 4.00pm.
- Amy Ireland has a weekly Tap class at the Base Studios on Thursdays at 2.00pm and Contemporary Jazz at 3.00pm.
- Emma Northhouse & Didy Veldman are offering DancEnhance – ballet & contemporary – on the 2nd of October at the Royal Ballet Upper School in Covent Garden. For more info: www.balletboost.com/dancenhance
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Oti Mabuse Dance Studio is offering a Latin American Beginners class with Marius every Thursday from 8.00 – 9.00pm.
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Sherisse Bisram is offering a Commercial class on Tuesdays at Pineapple from 7.30 – 8.30pm and a “Sexy RNB” from 8.30 – 9.30pm.
- Lowri Jackson has a weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio. Christabelle also teaches at the Dance Attic on Thursday from 6.15 – 8.15pm.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
Film And Video
- Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” will come to cinemas on the 26th of May 2023. “Snow White” will be released on the 22nd of March 2024.
- “Whoever You Are”, the short dance film starring Rae Piper & Paul Chantry, won Best Experimental Short at the Indie X Film Festival in Hollywood.
- Sir Matthew Bourne’s “Nutcracker” will be released in UK cinemas on the 15th and the 20th of November.
- ITV is set to reboot the Musical Theatre talent search genre in 2023 looking for stars for “Mamma Mia” in the West End.
- We spotted Tyson Simon and Lauren Kay in the new Yungblud music video.
- We spotted Katie Collins in the new music video by the 1975.
- We spotted Charlotte Anderson in the new advert for SimplyBe. The contract was with AJK.
- We spotted Honor Roche in the new movie “See How They Run”.
- We spotted Ryan Lee Seager and Sasha Woodward in the new Nick Winston film “Tomorrow Morning”.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.