With the Prime Minister confirming that UK theatres can re-open on Monday with social distancing in place, there was a flurry of activity this week. The team at Dincwear Dancewear hopes that the summary below will be of interest to pro dancers.
- “Matilda The Musical” confirms that it will re-open in the West End in September.
- The cast and crew of “Six – The Musical” started back to rehearsals.
- Sir Matt Bourne announced that his next dance project would be called “The Midnight Bell” – set in a London pub in the 1930’s.
- Northern Ballet returns to touring in June with a 3 venue trip to Salford, London and Leeds.
- The nominations were announced for the National Dance Awards. The winners will be presented at an online ceremony to be streamed on Sunday the 27th of June.
- An award ceremony for the Fedora Prizes of 2020 & 2021 will be shown live online on June the 17th at 8.30 CET.
- Festival de Jerez, the flamenco and Spanish dance event, returns online from May the 9th to the 17th. For tickets, visit: www.thirdrow.live/jerez
- On Friday the Royal Opera House is live streaming “Spring Draft Works” from the Royal Ballet. This includes “Nyakaza” , choreographed by Ashley Dean and featuring dancers Mica Bradbury & Hannah Grennell. Tickets are available from: www.stream.roh.org.uk
- The London Cabaret Club is re-opening its doors from June the 4th. The new show “London Never Dies” features some first-class pro dancers and will run every Friday & Saturday night until November.
- Sue Stephens, one of the founders of Performers College, has sadly passed away.
Future Dance News
- Can You Dance have partnered with IDS to bring you the 2021 Dance Teachers Convention. This will take place at the Birmingham Ormiston Academy on Sunday the 8th of August.
- Roisin Whelan Dance Company announced the creative team of “Man Down” , a new dance production funded by the Bank of Ireland, Arts Council Ireland & Shawbrook Dance.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is launching a school for young dancers from backgrounds with limited access to the arts.
- The newly re-elected London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, announced that “West End Live” will return this summer in Trafalgar Square.
- “Bring It On“, the musical starring Amber Davies, gave its tour dates for 2022.
- The National Youth Ballet announced that Sophia Hurdley will be leading the junior company as choreographer for their dancer’s development experience. Sophia will be assisted by Carrie Taylor.
- Dublin Dance Festival announced the appointment of Jazmin Chiodi as Artistic Director.
- The National Dance Company, Wales, is looking for a Head of Production.
- Joanne Clifton, World Dance Champion & Strictly Winner, is giving a Ballroom & Latin class at Pineapple Studios on Saturday the 29th of May from 3.00 – 4.30.
- Christina Andrea’s dance classes will resume at Pineapple Studios on Tuesdays (3.30-4.30) & Wednesdays (8.00-9.00) and at Base Studio on Thursdays (1.00-2.30).
- Burn Nation, the online dance & fitness platform run by “Burn The Floor” dancers, will commence Rhythm and Yoga classes on Monday the 24th of May. These classes will be given in Italian. Rhythm (with Francesco Sasenelli) is at 7.30 CET and Yoga (with Giulia Ardizzoni) is at 8.30 CET. For more information visit: www.burn-nation.com
Film And Video
- Ballet Black won Best Dance Film at the London International Web & Short Film Festival for “Like Water” – choreographed by Mthuthuzeli November.
- “In Pieces” the new musical by Joey Contreras, won 2 awards and an honourable mention at the New York Movie Awards.
- We spotted Bayley Darling, Hippy-Jo Weston, Chante Simpson, Sas Allan & Maisie Wilson in the new advert for the re-opening of Tape London. The choreography was by Kimberley Taylor.
- We spotted Che Jones, Remi Black & Ed Munro in Little Mix’s “Confetti” music video.
- We spotted Jen Derms, Chanelle Anthony & Lara Raiane in the latest Bumble advert.
This concludes what the team at Dincwear Dancewear have seen this week. We hope that it was of interest to pro dancers and that you are starting to find some job opportunities. We will be back with an update next week.
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.