All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
The Drifters Girl opening at the West End’s Garrick Theatre
Icon Beverley Knight stars as Faye Treadwell in the brand new musical The Drifters Girl opening at the West End’s Garrick Theatre on the 4th of November! Based on the true story of the first-ever African American female music manager who wouldn’t be satisfied until one of the world’s greatest vocal groups, The Drifters, were an unstoppable force. Don’t miss this leading lady of dreams alongside a star West End cast! Secure your tickets for The Drifters Girl and finally learn the story of what happened in the shadows.
Strictly Come Dancing 2021: Week 7
There were shockwaves on Strictly as Adam Peaty became the sixth contestant to be eliminated and his professional dance partner Katya Jones was left in tears.
Fans were surprised as Olympic swimmer Adam landed in the dreaded dance-off with CBBC star Tilly Ramsay at the halfway mark of the BBC dance contest.
Adam and Katya left the competition after coming in last on Saturday night’s leaderboard.
A tearful Katya told him as they departed the dance floor: “I really think you deserve a lot more appreciation for what you’ve done and I was not ready for this.”
This Results Night Pro dance was choreographed by Jason Gilkinson.
Sophie Ellis-Bextor set for Children in Need 24-hour danceathon.
Sophie Ellis-Bextor will attempt to dance for 24 hours straight in a Kitchen Disco Danceathon for this year’s BBC Radio 2 Children in Need Challenge. It launches at 9:25 am on Tuesday, November 16, finishing at the same time the following day on Wednesday, November 17.
During the first lockdown for the coronavirus pandemic, the singer streamed a number of online Kitchen Disco sessions which became popular, and this danceathon will essentially be a continuation of that. The 42-year old spoke on the challenge, saying: “I love to dance, I love to ‘Kitchen Disco’, but can I keep going for a whole 24 hours? I’m sure I can for BBC Children In Need… with the support of Radio 2’s fantastic listeners!”.
Lionel Blair: a showbiz phenomenon with all the right moves.
Lionel Blair, who has died aged 92, was that modern phenomenon: the all-around entertainer. That meant he might turn up as a stage or film actor, choreographer, or star performer on a TV show such as Give Us a Clue. But all-rounders, as any cricket-lover will tell you, have to shine in one particular discipline and, in Blair’s case, it was as a dancer.
General News & Sighting
- Jenny Thomas & Sean Moon choreographed the Charleston for AJ & Kai on Strictly. Matt Flint & Tamsin Rose assisted with the choreography for Dan & Nadiya.
- The Stage reports that wages in the Panto sector have fallen since 2019 – with producers offering fees that work out below the minimum wage.
- Scottish Ballet has made changes to it’s Christmas production of “The Nutcracker” removing “elements of caricature” and “inappropriate cultural stereotypes” as part of its commitment to anti-racism.
- “Cabaret” announced it’s 9 person West End “Prologue Company”. The company consists of actors, dancers and musicians.
- “Gatsby – The Musical” confirms the full cast for performances at Southwark Playhouse from the 8th of December until the 8th of January.
- The Barbican had a box office record of £717,000 in one week for “Anything Goes”.
- Ashley Wallen was nominated for the World Choreography Awards for his work on “Jingle Jangle”.
- Disney’s “Frozen” will place 9 ice sculptures in London’s Covent Garden Piazza on the 13th of November.
- The “Dancing Times” for November is out this week. The Dancer Of The Month is Alexander Fadayiro of the Ballet Black company.
Future Dance News
- “Shout – The Mod Musical” will be Upstairs At The Gatehouse from the 15th of March to the 17th of April 2022. Choreography is by Jay Gardner.
- Full casting has been announced for the USA premiere of “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” starring Layton Williams. Simeon Beckett is Dance Captain with Emma Rowbottom-Hunt as Assistant Dance Captain.
- The “Mrs. Doubtfire” musical is to have its UK premiere on the 2nd of September 2022 at the Manchester Opera House. The choreographer is Lorin Laterro.
- Full casting has been announced for the upcoming production of “Bonnie And Clyde” at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, on the 17th & 18th of January 2022. Frances Mayli is replacing the previously announced Laura Osnes. It will be directed by Nick Winston.
Auditions & Appointments
- Birmingham Royal Ballet is advertising auditions for Soloist and Principle dancers – by invitation only. The deadline is the 4th of December and the audition is on the 18th of December. Apply with CV, photos, and video links to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pontins is looking for dancers to become Bluecoats. Open auditions are in London (16th of November), Bristol (17th of November), Birmingham (23rd of November) & Manchester (24th of November). For more information go to: www.pontins.com/stage
- Balbir Singh Dance Company is seeking an Apprentice Dancer as part of its Talent Development. Find out more from: email@example.com
- Applications are open for The Place’s Resolution Festival 2022 – a festival of new choreography and performance works by emerging artists. The deadline to apply is the 30th of November.
- Pearson Casting is casting for the “Six – The Musical” tour of the UK, which commences in March 2022. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Birmingham Ceremonies is looking for pro dancers for both the opening and the closing ceremonies of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games next year.
- Dance Affinity is looking for a Dance Teacher to join them in Nottingham, working Mondays & Saturdays to begin with, on a self-employed basis. For more information: email@example.com
- West End show “Hamilton” is advertising for dancers. Auditions will be held in London – beginning in October and finishing in January 2022. Rehearsals will start on the 4th of April 2022. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Dance Teacher is required by DSP Performing Arts for Saturdays during Term time. See the company website for details.
- Akoma Asa Arts are looking for Dance Teachers. For more information, visit the company website.
- Thyrza Abrahams has been appointed as the Resident Artistic Director at the Curve Theatre, Leicester.
- Glenn Graham is giving a Dance Winter Intensive on the 4th & 5th of December at Jacksons Lane Arts Centre in London for £65. The class is aimed at Graduates and dancers in full-time training.
- Joanne Clifton & Tjasa Vulic are holding a masterclass on the 21st of November at Studio 68, London, from 2.00 – 6.00 pm. You can book on: email@example.com
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is doing a 1 day Pro masterclass on the 29th of January 2022 at the Urdang Academy. This includes a ticket to the evening performance at Sadlers Wells that night.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15 pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop /Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 20.30 – 21.55 pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30 pm.
- Erica Mulkern has a “Suzy Homemaker” dance workshop on the 7th of December from 11.00 – 1.15 pm at the Drama Studio in Sheffield.
- Redbox Dance has a Dance Day with Brendon Hansford & Li Li Hodge on Saturday the 20th of November at Somers Town Community Sports Centre. Contact Redbox Dance for further details.
- Lauren Gore has her “Tappercise Class” every other Monday at the Holy Trinity Church, London NR21, from 7.30 – 8.15 pm for £6 per class. Contact Lauren for further details.
- Adam Garcia is doing a series of Tap classes with LaVolta events: the 5th of December (Hull), & the 12th of December (Doncaster).
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30 pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15 pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 2.15 – 3.15 pm & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45 pm. There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.25 pm.
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45 pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- Ariana Grande & Cynthia Erivo will star in the film version of “Wicked” for Universal. It will begin filming in the UK in the summer of 2022.
- Gal Gadot is joining the cast of Disney’s remake of the movie “Snow White”.
- We spotted the dancers from Sir Matt Bourne’s upcoming production of “The Nutcracker” in the new advert from Fortnum & Mason.
- We spotted Charlotte Bazeley in the latest advert from Currys.
- We spotted Stacey Greenhead and the Crystal Palace Cheerleaders on ITV “This Morning” celebrating the re-opening of flights to America.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.