2022 New Year Edition!
All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Strictly’s Oti Mabuse visits mum’s dance school after flying home for surprise trip
Strictly Come Dancing’s Oti Mabuse has shared her pride after visiting her mum’s dance school in South Africa.
The professional dancer, 31, surprised her relatives over Christmas when she headed back to her hometown for the first time in three years, and she’s been sweetly posting videos and pictures from her heartwarming trip.
Oti took to her Instagram Stories to upload a photo of her posing with Dudu Mabuse outside a new dance school, which has been launched by her ambitious mum.
Doting daughter Oti shared her overwhelming joy at her mother’s achievements and told her 637,000 followers about the new venture.
“I see the legacy my mother has built, and I’m so unbelievably proud, inspired, and honoured to be her daughter,” she captioned the snap, which showed her cuddling her mother while beaming at the camera.
Oti Mabuse is now set to make her debut as a judge on Dancing on Ice!
The former Strictly pro Oti Mabuse is now set to make her debut as a judge on Dancing on Ice
Two-time Strictly Come Dancing winner Oti Mabuse will be replacing Barrowman on Dancing on Ice.
Mabuse became the first professional to win Strictly two years in a row when she lifted the trophy with Bill Bailey in 2020. She took her first Glitterball trophy with Kelvin Fletcher the previous year.
Diversity’s Ashley Banjo ‘humbled and proud’ with MBE honour
Dancer and choreographer Ashley Banjo said he was “humbled and extremely proud” to have been appointed an MBE.
The 33-year-old, who lives in Essex and found fame when his dance troupe Diversity won Britain’s Got Talent (BGT) in 2009, has been named in the New Year’s Honours list.
This year, his group’s 2020 routine about the events of that year won the Must-See Moment Award at the TV BAFTAs.
He has called his latest award “the ultimate accolade”.
“I’m so humbled and extremely proud to be receiving this honour,” he said.
“It’s something I never saw coming and for my mum and dad to see this moment means the world.”
British Empire Medal for Yorkshire dance teacher who taught Zoom classes in lockdown – aged 83
Barbara Peters has been awarded the British Empire Medal for services to dancing in the New Year Honours.
At 83, and with a lifetime of dancing behind her, Mrs Peters has helped inspire thousands of young people.
She made her first moves at the age of two and later became a dance teacher in Huddersfield. And in later years she even appeared on a BBC television programme.
And in more recent years she has been involved in baby ballet, helping tots to feel the music.
“I have loved dancing all my life,” said Mrs Peters, who now lives in Greetland near Halifax. “I have been very lucky. I started when I was two and I have never really stopped. I have had a lifetime of dancing and that is rather special. It has been my passion.”
Born in Huddersfield, she won a place at the Royal Academy of Dancing in London to study to be a teacher of ballet and classical dancing. The Greenhead High School pupil worked as a bus conductor in town to pay the fees and danced at Huddersfield’s Theatre Royal.
She became an examiner for the Royal Academy and at 25 was the youngest person at the time to qualify. In 1961 she launched her own dancing school in Huddersfield.
More Dance Awards In The Oueen’s New Year Honours List.
- A Knighthood for Sir Alisdair Spalding
- Lez Brotherstone OBE
- Peter Wilson OBE
- Mikey Assante MBE
- Pawlet Brookes MBE
- Norman Murray MBE
- Chris Nash MBE
General News & Sighting
- The Theatre Artists Fund, which gives grants to freelancers not supported by the Government, raised £2 million in it’s first 48 hours. Applications for grants are open now and will close at 12.00pm on the 10th of January. Normally a £1,000 grant is available per individual.
- The Scottish Government has announced a further £27 million of targeted funds for culture, bringing the total package of support to £43.5 million.
- The Strictly Christmas Special was won by Graziano & Anne-Marie. It was watched by an average of 5.6 million people, making it the second most watched programme on Christmas day after the Queen’s speech. Jenny Thomas choreographed Aljaz & Moira Stewart’s Salsa routine.
- The West End production of “Moulin Rouge” will have it’s official opening night on the 20th of January. The choreography is by Sonya Tayeh.
- Graham Watts, the leading dance critic, picked his “Top 6” in various catagories covering dance performances in London during 2021.
- “Bring It On” adds 4 new swings to it’s London production: Callum Aylott, Hannah Swift, Helen Parsons & Ashley Rowe.
- The Guardian put out it’s list of the “Top 10 Dance Shows”:
10/ Dancing Nation (BBC)
9/ The 7 Fingers: Passagers
8/ The Midnight Bell: Sir Matt Bourne
7/ Rooms: The Rambert
6/ Romeo & Juliet: The Royal Ballet
4/ Giselle: The Royal Ballet
3/ When We Fell: Kyle Abraham
2/ The Barre Project: William Forsythe
1/ Balachine and Robbins: The Royal Ballet
- Billy Mitchell, currently the Associate Choreographer on “Cinderella”, will return to “Wicked” as a Swing.
- Stuart Bishop, the founder of The Rudeye Agency, is back with his new “3 Rings” dance agency.
- This years “Vault Festival” had been cancelled due to problems associated with covid.
- “Come From Away”, the most successful Canadian musical of all time, has permanently closed in Toronto.
- Kathy Voytko stepped in for Sutton Foster at the last minute for a performance of “The Music Man” on Broadway. Hugh Jackman praised Voytko during the curtain call.
- “Waitress The Musical” was forced to close early on Broadway due to the covid virus.
- The producers of “Mrs Doubtfire” have suspended performances on Broadway until the 14th of March due to problems associated with covid.
- Andrew Corbet Burcher of the popular Dance Attic dance studio in London has died.
Future Dance News
- Erica Mulkern’s “Suzy Homemaker” will be performed at the Lawence Batley Theatre on the 25th of March.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- “Beautiful – The Carole King Musical” will open in Leicester on the 28th of February 2022. It will star Molly-Grace Cutler & Tom Milner and be choreographed by Leah Hill.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- Strictly announced the couples who will be appearing on the Strictly Live Tour. It will be Giovanni & Rose, Aljaz & Sara, Katya & Max George, Kai & AJ, Nikita & Tilly, Nancy & Rhys and Johannes & John. In addition, the following Pro dancers will also be on the tour: Amy, Neil, Cameron, Luba & Jowita.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- “Dirty Dancing” will return to the Dominion Theatre from the 2nd of February 2022. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- Lucie Jones is to join the West End production of “Wicked” from the 1st of February 2022.
- “Anything Goes” will return to the Barbican Theatre from the 5th of July until the 3rd of September 2022. The choreography is by Kathleen Marshall and Carol Lee Meadows.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- A new production of “Grease” will come to London’s Dominion Theatre in 2022. The choreography is by Dame Arlene Phillips.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
- “Mamma Mia” revealed the casting for it’s 2022 UK tour. It will start on the 18th of January 2022 at Plymouth. The production has been choreographed by Anthony Van Laast.
Auditions & Appointments
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: email@example.com
- Chessington World Of Adventures is casting for dancers who act and costume characters who move well. Open auditions are taking place today and tomorrow.
- Candoco Dance Company is looking for a General Manager to lead on Human Resources & Governance functions. See the website for details. The deadline is the 10th of January.
- The Central School Of Ballet is looking for a Classical Ballet Tutor. This is a job-share position which is part-time and on a fixed contract from mid February to mid July 2022. The details are on the company website.
- Scottish Ballet is looking for a part-time Artistic Administrator. Details are on the company website. Applications have to be received by the 7th of January.
- The Place’s “Choreodrome” research residencies can be applied for now. These allow the artist funding and studio space for their projects. The deadline for applications is the 24th of January 2022. See the website for further details.
- Boy Blue is looking for a new Chair of the Board. Details are on its website. The deadline for applications is the 10th of January.
- Stage Fever Productions is looking for female dancers for 2 new 1970’s themed touring shows. Auditions are on the 14th of January at the Centre Point Dance Studio in Manchester.
- “Wicked – The Movie” is looking for a wheelchair bound person to play Nessarose. Anybody interested should email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Ballet Company Of The Slovak National Theatre is looking for dancers with excellent technique in classical and modern ballet. See the company website for details. Audition is by invite only on the 6th of February. The deadline for applications is the 16th of January 2022.
- The CCN – Ballet de Lorraine is looking for dancers to join the company in August 2022. See the company website for details. Auditions are on the 5th & 6th of February in Paris – by invitation only. The deadline for applications is the 15th of January 2022.
- Auditions for the revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” are scheduled for the 11th – 14th of January 2022 in London, with recalls towards the end of January.
- Laine Theatre Arts is looking to appoint an Access And Participation Co-ordinator to drive the “Lanes To Laines” initiative – bridging the space between vocational training in dance & musical theatre and under-represented communities.
- Julie Bowers of BBO Dance has launced the GradPro programme to give graduates the opportunity to perform, with the possibility of being seen by leading dance directors. The closing date for applications is the 28th of January 2022..
- Birmingham Ceremonies is looking for pro dancers for both the opening and the closing ceremonies of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games next year.
- Sophina Afzal is teaching a Jazz/MT class at “Move It” on the 13th of March at 2.45pm.
- Hannah Cleeve is giving a Heels class on Friday the 11th of March from 2.15 – 3.00pm at “Move It”. (This will book up fast)
- From January 2022, Faith Newport will be teaching a Commercial / Hip Hop class on Fridays from 5.45 – 6.45pm at the Motion Studios, Bristol.
- Steffi Croxson is teaching 2 classes at “Move It”. A Salsa Fitness class on Friday the 11th at 1.45 – 2.30pm and a Barre Beats class on Sunday the 13th from 3.45 – 4.30pm.
- Jordi Guitart is teaching a class at “Move It” on the 12th of March at 2.15pm in the Fosse Studio.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am – starting from the 4th of January.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is doing a 1 day Pro masterclass on the 29th of January 2022 at the Urdang Academy. This includes a ticket to the evening performance at Sadlers Wells that night.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Lauren Gore has her “Tappercise Class” every other Monday at the Holy Trinity Church, London NR21, from 7.30 – 8.15pm for £6 per class. Contact Lauren for further details.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.25pm (Astaire Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Red Shoes”, starring Ashley Shaw, will be shown on BBC2 at 7.25pm on the 9th of January.
- Chris Evans, star of “Captain America”, is set to play Gene Kelly in a US biopic.
- We spotted Oluwatosin, Jo Dyce & Naomi Weijand performimg with Becky Hill on the “Top Of The Pops” New Year’s Eve Special. The choreography was by Mark Jennings. The contract was with Mass Movement.
- We spotted Gemma Buckingham, Francesca Daniella Baker, Helen Gulstan & Sia Dauda performing on ITV’s “All Star Musicals”.
- We spotted Josh Denyer, Chrissy Brooke & Jaih Betote dancing on the “20th Anniversary Of The Harry Potter Cast”. The choreography was by Ashley Wallen & Jenny Griffin.
- We spotted Emily Barnett-Salter in “A Very British Scandal”.
- We spotted Faye Stoeser & Salome Pressac performing with Years and Years on the BBC New Year’s Eve show.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
VIEW DINCWEAR’S DANCE & ACTIVEWEAR COLLECTION
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.