Despite an underwhelming result for the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest, this week continued to produce good news on the re-opening of dance and theatre opportunities for pro dancers. These are the highlights seen by the team at Dincwear Dancewear news that may be of interest to all dancers.
- “The Cher Show” UK tour was announced. It will be directed by Arlene Phillips with choreography by Oti Mabuse. The show is planning to open at the Curve Theatre, Leicester, on the 15th of April 2022.
- “Tina The Musical” is to re-open at The Aldwych Theatre in the West End, London, on July the 28th. The cast will again be led by Aisha Jawando & Jammy Kasongo as Tina & Ike Turner.
- Etta Murfit will be the choreographer on “Bagdad Cafe” opening at The Old Vic this summer.
- Ben Davies will be choreographing the “West End Musical Celebration” live at the Palace Theatre in June.
- The full cast was revealed for “Singing In The Rain” at Sadlers Wells. It will star Faye Tozer, Adam Cooper, Charlotte Gooch & Kevin Clifton as Cosmo. Choreography will be by Andrew Wright. Performances begin on the 30th of July and the production then tours the UK.
- Julia Cheng will be the choreographer of the new West End production of “Cabaret“.
- The Royal Ballet announced its company promotions, with Fumi Kaneko & Cesar Corrales being promoted to Principle dancers with immediate effect.
Future Dance News
- BBC Arts & One Dance UK have announced the return of “Dance Passion” for 2022. As part of this project, it is inviting dance companies, independent artists & choreographers to apply for funding to create short dance films (£5,000 grant) and interactive dance projects (£10,000 grant).
- NDT Theatre announced the creation of a new “Artist Development Complex” that will be available free of charge to artists for the first year. The complex will be in Broadgate, near Liverpool St Station, in London. It will have 29 rehearsal rooms for independent artists and will open in July.
- “Can You Dance” starts its regional tour in Essex on the 15th of August.
- A reminder that the closing date for the BBC Young Dancer Competition is on Friday the 18th of June.
Appointments and Auditions
- Ballet Black is holding virtual auditions for its “Junior Associate” programme for 12 -16-year-olds with a strong grounding in classical ballet & pointe work. The deadline for entry is the 30th of May.
- Birmingham based ACE Dance is looking for “powerful, fearless, versatile and diverse dancers” to join the company for its forthcoming tour of “Unknowable Realms“. The audition date is Sunday the 27th of June from 11.00 – 7.00 pm. The deadline for application is the 7th of June. Contact ACE Dance for further details.
- Sharon D Clarke is appointed as Vice President of Arts Ed, London.
Stop Press – It has just been announced that Shama Rowland will be the new Communications Coordinator at Sadlers Wells.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 3.30 – 4.30 pm & Wednesday from 8.00 – 9.00 pm. There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.30 pm.
- Chloe Ferns & Pamela Distefano are doing a charity workshop to raise money for Arlo. It is on Sunday the 30th of May at Dancepoint Studios in Glasgow. Sign up at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jordan Louise Palmer has a commercial dance class every Tuesday starting on the 25th of May from 8.00 – 9.00 pm in Kent. Contact: @choreographybyjordan for more details.
- Dane Bates is doing a 5-day contemporary dance programme called “Inspiro” in Liverpool from July the 26th – 30th. For more details contact Dane on: email@example.com
Film And Video
- The film version of “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” will premiere on Amazon Prime on the 17th of September.
- We spotted Kat McGurk & Alex Thomas on ITV’s “Game Of Talents“.
- We spotted Christian Knight & Summer Villiers in the latest NHS advert.
- We spotted Zara Richards in the recent advert for National Parks UK.
- We spotted Will Kelly & Matthew Scott in the new Navos video for “Believe Me“. The contract was with the Rudeye Agency.
- We spotted Charlotte Gooch, Kelly Downing, & Jade Albertson performing at the re-opening of the Balthazar Restaurant in London.
Dincwear has highlighted some interesting opportunities within the UK this week – particularly with regard to a couple of interesting auditions and some free space to rehearse. The team at Dincwear Dancewear will continue to keep our eyes open for anything which may be of interest to a pro dancer and report back again next week.
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.