All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Cast for We Will Rock You 20th anniversary tour revealed.
Casting has been unveiled for the 20th-anniversary tour of We Will Rock You. The musical originally premiered in 2002 at the Dominion Theatre in London and went on to become one of the longest-running musicals in West End history.
The cast will see Ian McIntosh play Galileo, Elena Skye as Scaramouche, Jenny O’Leary as Killer Queen and Adam Strong as Khashoggi. Together with Michael Mckell as Buddy, Martina Ciabatti Mennell as Oz and David Michael Johnson as Brit.
The ensemble includes Laura Bird, Kate Leiper, Joanne Harper, Anna Davey, Edward Leigh, Spin, Karen Walker, David Muscat, Damien Walsh, Laura Ava-Scott, Victoria Collins, Joseph Connor, Louis Clarke-Clare and Jacob Fearey.
The musical features songs from Queen’s back catalogue including “We Are The Champions”, “Radio Ga Ga”, “I Want To Break Free”, “Somebody To Love”, “Killer Queen”, “Don’t Stop Me Now”, “Under Pressure”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Another One Bites The Dust” and “We Will Rock You”.
Which celebrity was voted off Strictly on Sunday night?
On Strictly, Tom Fletcher became the eighth celebrity to be eliminated from Strictly after landing in the dance-off on Sunday night with his partner Amy Dowden, alongside Rhys Stephenson and Nancy Xu.
This weekend, the remaining couples aimed to dazzle the judges and viewers for Musicals Week, with Rhys and Nancy dancing a Jive to Footloose’s title track. Tom and Amy, meanwhile, performed a heartfelt Couple’s Choice to On My Own from Les Misérables. After both couples danced a second time, the judges were split on who should go home.
Jenny Thomas and Sean Moon assisted Nadiya & Dan with their choreography and Amy & Tom were helped by Nikki Trow and Mason Boyce. Lizzie Gough choreographed Nikita & Tilly’s “Matilda” routine.
Strictly Come Dancing Unveils Two Celebrities For Christmas Special Line-Up.
Strictly Come Dancing has announced two brand new celebrity dance novices who’ll be taking part in this year’s Christmas special.
While Strictly’s annual festive episode had to take a year off last year due to the pandemic, it’s been confirmed the spectacular will be going ahead as usual on Christmas Day in 2021, with two members of the cast having now been confirmed. First Dates staple Fred Sirieix will be one of the stars battling it out for the Silver Star trophy this year, where he’ll dance with Strictly pro Dianne Buswell. Joining him will be Jay Blades, best known as the host of The Repair Shop, performing alongside Strictly pro Luba Mushtuk.
The rest of the Christmas special line-up will be announced: “in due course”.
Cynthia Erivo joined the Strictly Come Dancing judging panel for musicals week
Tony Award winner will step in for Craig Revel Horwood. The Tony Award-winning Brit stepped in for regular judge Craig Revel Horwood, who is at home recovering from a Covid infection, and joined Shirley Ballas, Motsi Mabuse, and Anton Du Beke for Musicals Week.
Erivo was also recently cast in the coveted role of Elphaba in the long-awaited film adaptation of Wicked and her stage credits include The Color Purple in London and on Broadway, Dessa Rose, I Can’t Sing! The X Factor Musical, Sister Act, and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
General News & Sighting
- Nearly 1,000 Arts organisations have been awarded a share of £107 million in the latest round of the Culture Recovery Fund, including 248 theatres.
- UK dancers and artists will no longer require visa’s for work in Spain on short-term contracts.
- In Italy, an Employment Tribunal has ordered Teatro Alla Scala to pay Sabina Galasso, a former ballerina with the company, 61,000 Euros in compensation for “discrimination and oppressive behaviour”.
- The upcoming tour of “The Rise And Fall Of Little Voice” has announced it’s complete cast. It will open at the Mayflower in Southampton on the 23rd of March 2022 before touring.
- The cast for the “We Will Rock You” 20th Anniversary tour has been announced. The show will open in Portsmouth on the 7th of February 2022.
- Nicole Bondzie is the new Resident Choreographer at “Six – The Musical” in the West End.
- The Olivier Awards will return next year on the 10th of April 2022 at The Royal Albert Hall.
- The winners were announced this week of the Black British Theatre Awards.
- Iman Shumpert & Daniella Karagach won “Dancing With The Stars” in America.
- Tracey Benson will be choreographing “Singing Revolution – The Musical” in America.
Future Dance News
- Lucie Jones is to join the West End production of “Wicked” from the 1st of February 2022.
- “Anything Goes” will return to the Barbican Theatre from the 5th of July until the 3rd of September 2022. The choreography is by Kathleen Marshall and Carol Lee Meadows.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- A new production of “Grease” will come to London’s Dominion Theatre in 2022. The choreography is by Dame Arlene Phillips.
- The “Broken Wings” musical announced the initial cast for it’s London run at The Charing Cross Theatre from the 21st of January until the 5th of March 2022. The choreography is by Philip Michael Thomas.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
- “Mamma Mia” revealed the casting for it’s 2022 UK tour. It will start on the 18th of January 2022 at Plymouth. The production has been choreographed by Anthony Van Laast.
Auditions & Appointments
- Wayne McGregor is seeking female dancers with strong contemporary and classical technique to join the company. Auditions will be in London on the 7th of December – by invitation only. Call backs are on the 8th & 9th of December. For further information, visit the Company website. The deadline for applications is the 27th of November.
- “Stomp” is holding an Open Audition at The Old Market in Hove on Tuesday the 30th of November for the International tour of 2022/3. Recalls will be on the 1st & 2nd of December.
- Julie Bowers of BBO Dance has launced the GradPro programme to give graduates the opportunity to perform, with the possibility of being seen by leading dance directors. The closing date for applications is the 28th of January 2022.
- Dance Consortium is seeking a new Executive Director (salary of £60,000 – 63,000pa). The closing date for applications is the 26th of November. See the website for further details.
- Leicester Dance Theatre is looking for a new Chair Of The Board. The company oversees the Aakash Odedra Company and Shiamak UK.
- The National Dance Company Wales is looking for a Rehearsal Director (salary £32,591). The closing date for applications is the 1st of December. Visit the company website for further details.
- Birmingham Royal Ballet is advertising auditions for Soloist and Principle dancers – by invitation only. The deadline is the 4th of December and the audition is on the 18th of December. Apply with CV, photos and video links to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Balbir Singh Dance Company is seeking an Apprentice Dancer as part of it’s Talent Development. Find out more from: email@example.com
- Applications are open for The Place’s Resolution Festival 2022 – a festival of new choreography and performance works by emerging artists. The deadline to apply is the 30th of November.
- Pearson Casting are casting for the “Six – The Musical” tour of the UK, which commences in March 2022. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Birmingham Ceremonies is looking for pro dancers for both the opening and the closing ceremonies of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games next year.
- West End show “Hamilton” is advertising for dancers. Auditions will be held in London – beginning in October and finishing in January 2022. Rehearsals will start on the 4th of April 2022. For more information contact: email@example.com
- Gemma Bodinetz has been appointed to run the School Of Dance, Dramatic Production And Film at The Royal Conservatoire Of Scotland.
- Claudimar Neto is doing a dance class at The Urdang Academy on Saturday the 27th of November from 3.30 – 5.30pm for £15. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erica Mulkern is teaching an Improvers / Intermediate Ballet Class at The Dance Studio, Leeds, on Sunday the 12th of December from 3.00 – 4.20pm (for £9) & 4.30 – 5.00pm Pointe (for £3).
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Glenn Graham is giving a Dance Winter Intensive on the 4th & 5th of December at Jacksons Lane Arts Centre in London for £65. The class is aimed at Graduates and dancers in full-time training.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is doing a 1 day Pro masterclass on the 29th of January 2022 at the Urdang Academy. This includes a ticket to the evening performance at Sadlers Wells that night.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop /Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Erica Mulkern has a “Suzy Homemaker” dance workshop on the 7th of December from 11.00 – 1.15pm at the Drama Studio in Sheffield.
- Lauren Gore has her “Tappercise Class” every other Monday at the Holy Trinity Church, London NR21, from 7.30 – 8.15pm for £6 per class. Contact Lauren for further details.
- Adam Garcia is doing a couple of Tap classes with LaVolta events: the 5th of December (Hull), & the 12th of December (Doncaster).
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.25pm (Astaire Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- The BBC has confirmed 3 titles for it’s upcoming “Sunday Night Musicals” series on BBC4 and iPlayer. It started on Sunday with “Kiss Me, Kate” and will show “An American In Paris” and “John Williams On Broadway”.
- We spotted Erin Anna Jameson doubling for Vanessa Hudgens in “Tic, Tic… Boom”.
- We spotted Katie Priest, Michael Danilczuk & Ashley Banjo in “Strictly The Real Full Monty”.
- We spotted Jennifer Lypka & Hayley Brown in “Princess Switch 3”.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.