Season’s Greetings From The Dincwear Dancewear News Team
All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Strictly Final 2021
An average of 11 million people watched the Strictly final that was won by Giovanni & Rose, with an audience of 12.3 million at the peak. The final group number was choreographed by Matt Flint, Lizzie Gough and Stephanie Powell Baxter. Tilly missed the show after testing positive for Covid and Robert was also absent.
AJ Odudu’s ‘heart is broken’ to not be competing after injury.
AJ Odudu admitted she was ‘heartbroken’ to be forced to pull out of Strictly Come Dancing days before the final. The presenter was forced to quit the show after injuring a ligament in her foot during rehearsals with partner Kai Widdrington, and was warned she’d face a year of rehab if she put weight on it.
Describing how emotional it was to have to pull out at the last hurdle, AJ sobbed: ‘I don’t know how to describe what it feels like to have a broken heart, and that’s what it feels like.’ She added: ‘But we have had the best time on this show and I’ve been putting on a brave face, Kai’s been putting on a brave face, we’ve loved the Saturday night show.’
Andrew Lloyd Webber halts Cinderella musical
Lord Andrew LLoyd Webber has suspended performances of his West End show “Cinderella” until the 9th of February because of uncertainty caused by the covid virus.
General News & Sighting
- 25 West End shows in London had to cancel performances due to covid last weekend.
- Theatre producers Cameron MacKintosh and Rosemary Squire stated that theatres will struggle to survive without immediate Government support.
- The Chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced that £30 million will be provided to arts institutions and organisations in England via the Cultural Recovery Fund. There still appears to be no support for those in the freelance community, many of whom are now out of work or being forced to self-isolate because of covid.
- Indoor events in Scotland – including theatres – will be limited to audiences of 200 people and have 1 metre social distancing rules from Boxing Day.
- Scotland’s cultural sector has been given £20 million of funding as part of a £100 million emergency package for the sectors worst hit by the latest wave of the pandemic.
- The Thursford Christmas Spectacular has cancelled the rest of it’s shows this season after 18 dancers tested positive for covid.
- Casting has been confirmed for “Saturday Night Fever”. Richard Winsor will play Tony Manero and Olivia Fines will play Stephanie. The choreography is by Bill Deamer. The show is planned to open on the 5th of January at Oxford.
- The “National Lottery’s Big Night Of Musicals” will take place in Manchester on the 24th of January. It will be hosted by Jason Manford.
- Nominees for the annual “The Stage Awards” have been announced. The ceremony will take place on the 31st of January 2022 at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, London.
- Jerome Anthony Barnes has been promoted from Soloist to Principle dancer at the Scottish Ballet.
- Oti Mabuse will examine some of the people who have changed the world of dance in a new Radio 4 podcast for BBC Sounds called “Oti Mabuse’s Dancing Legends”.
- The January edition of “The Dancing Times” arrived this week. The Dancer Of The Month is Rhys Antoni Yeomans of the English National Ballet.
- A stage sequel to “West Side Story” has been commissioned in the U.S by the Long Wharf Theatre. It will be titled “Maria”
- “Jagged Little Pill” has closed on Broadway due to the rapid spread of the Omicron varient.
- “Dance Magazine” of the U.S issued its annual list of “25 To Watch” in the dance world.
- Choreographer and dancer Nai – Ni Chen has died aged 62 in a swimming accident.
Future Dance News
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- “Beautiful – The Carole King Musical” will open in Leicester on the 28th of February 2022. It will star Molly-Grace Cutler & Tom Milner and be choreographed by Leah Hill.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- Strictly announced the couples who will be appearing on the Strictly Live Tour next year. It will be Giovanni & Rose, Aljaz & Sara, Katya & Max George, Kai & AJ, Nikita & Tilly, Nancy & Rhys and Johannes & John. In addition, the following Pro dancers will also be on the tour: Amy, Neil, Cameron, Luba & Jowita.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- “Dirty Dancing” will return to the Dominion Theatre from the 2nd of February 2022. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- Lucie Jones is to join the West End production of “Wicked” from the 1st of February 2022.
- “Anything Goes” will return to the Barbican Theatre from the 5th of July until the 3rd of September 2022. The choreography is by Kathleen Marshall and Carol Lee Meadows.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- A new production of “Grease” will come to London’s Dominion Theatre in 2022. The choreography is by Dame Arlene Phillips.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
- “Mamma Mia” revealed the casting for it’s 2022 UK tour. It will start on the 18th of January 2022 at Plymouth. The production has been choreographed by Anthony Van Laast.
Auditions & Appointments
- Breakin’ Convention is looking for a Trainee to work on it’s upcoming Festival. The details are on the company website: breakinconvention.com/apply/vacancies The deadline is the 19th of December.
- Candoco Dance Company is looking for a General Manager to lead on Human Resources & Governance functions. See the website for details. The deadline is the 10th of January.
- The Central School Of Ballet is looking for a Classical Ballet Tutor. This is a job-share position which is part-time and on a fixed contract from mid February to mid July 2022. The details are on the company website.
- Scottish Ballet is looking for a part-time Artistic Administrator. Details are on the company website. Applications have to be received by the 7th of January.
- The Place’s “Choreodrome” research residencies can be applied for now. These allow the artist funding and studio space for their projects. The deadline for applications is the 24th of January 2022. See the website for further details.
- Northern Ballet is looking for a male dancer to join the company on its Spring 2022 tour. The deadline for applications is the 29th of December.
- Boy Blue is looking for a new Chair of the Board. Details are on its website. The deadline for applications is the 10th of January.
- Stage Fever Productions is looking for female dancers for 2 new 1970’s themed touring shows. Auditions are on the 14th of January at the Centre Point Dance Studio in Manchester.
- “Wicked – The Movie” is looking for a wheelchair bound person to play Nessarose. Anybody interested should email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Ballet Company Of The Slovak National Theatre is looking for dancers with excellent technique in classical and modern ballet. See the company website for details. Audition is by invite only on the 6th of February. The deadline for applications is the 16th of January 2022.
- The CCN – Ballet de Lorraine is looking for dancers to join the company in August 2022. See the company website for details. Auditions are on the 5th & 6th of February in Paris – by invitation only. The deadline for applications is the 15th of January 2022.
- Auditions for the revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” are scheduled for the 11th – 14th of January 2022 in London, with recalls towards the end of January.
- Laine Theatre Arts is looking to appoint an Access And Participation Co-ordinator to drive the “Lanes To Laines” initiative – bridging the space between vocational training in dance & musical theatre and under-represented communities.
- Julie Bowers of BBO Dance has launced the GradPro programme to give graduates the opportunity to perform, with the possibility of being seen by leading dance directors. The closing date for applications is the 28th of January 2022..
- Birmingham Ceremonies is looking for pro dancers for both the opening and the closing ceremonies of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games next year.
- Hannah Cleeve is giving a Heels class on Friday the 11th of March from 2.15 – 3.00pm at “Move It”. (This will book up fast)
- From January 2022, Faith Newport will be teaching a Commercial / Hip Hop class on Fridays from 5.45 – 6.45pm at the Motion Studios, Bristol.
- Steffi Croxson is teaching 2 classes at “Move It”. A Salsa Fitness class on Friday the 11th at 1.45 – 2.30pm and a Barre Beats class on Sunday the 13th from 3.45 – 4.30pm.
- Jordi Guitart is teaching a class at “Move It” on the 12th of March at 2.15pm in the Fosse Studio.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am – starting from the 4th of January.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is doing a 1 day Pro masterclass on the 29th of January 2022 at the Urdang Academy. This includes a ticket to the evening performance at Sadlers Wells that night.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Lauren Gore has her “Tappercise Class” every other Monday at the Holy Trinity Church, London NR21, from 7.30 – 8.15pm for £6 per class. Contact Lauren for further details.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.25pm (Astaire Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- We spotted Chrissy Brooke in the latest advert for Wren’s Kitchens.
- We spotted Charleigh Webb dancing in the new film “Benediction”.
- We spotted Hannah Levitt Collins & Crystal Hantig dancing with Nicole Scherzinger.
- We spotted Lolly Campbell dancing with Cabaret Rouge.
***STOP PRESS – Oti Mabuse has just been confirmed as one of the new judges on ITV’S “Dancing On Ice”.***
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.