All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Strictly Come Dancing – THE LIVE TOUR 2022
Janette Manrara and the rest of the Strictly Come Dancing gang are no doubt excited about the start of their nationwide tour, but over the weekend, Aljaz Skorjanec’s wife, who will be hosting the shows uploaded a post that was originally shared on the tour’s Instagram page and that revealed that in order to keep everyone safe, “the cast will not be able to sign autographs, meet audience members or take photos with them”.
The Strictly Come Dancing Live UK Arena Tour kicks off on Thursday 20th January in Birmingham and ends on the 13 February.
MOVE IT makes its 2022 comeback!
Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Brandon Lawrence leads a dance class at MOVE IT.
MOVE IT is the World’s biggest and best dance event, celebrating all forms of dance and the performing arts across three amazing days. No matter what level you are, MOVE IT has something for every dancer, teacher, spectator, and professional, at this electric celebration of all things dance and performing arts!
Across the three days, you can enjoy thrilling MAIN STAGE performances from the stunning line-up of headliners, including Dark Angels, Dane Bates, Flawless, and Joshua Base Pilmore. You can take part in one of the more than 230 dance classes on offer taught by leading dancers, show off your dance moves on the freestyle stage and gain vital tips to aid your professional dance development.
Peaky Blinders stage show to debut in Birmingham
A theatre show inspired by hit BBC television series Peaky Blinders is set to premiere in the West Midlands.
Peaky Blinders: The Redemption of Thomas Shelby will open on 27 September at Birmingham Hippodrome, followed by dates in London and a UK tour. The show’s creator Steven Knight adapted it for the stage in collaboration with Rambert dance company.
He said: “I’ve been really impressed by the way the dancers just get it.
“The attitude, the swagger, the style, really does translate itself into dance so it doesn’t feel anything other than a natural step.”
Tamara Rojo steps down from English National Ballet
English National Ballet star Tamara Rojo is to leave the company after a decade as its artistic director and lead principal dancer.
Rojo will step down later this year to take up the role of artistic director at the San Francisco Ballet.
She was prima ballerina at the Royal Ballet before re-joining the English National Ballet in 2012, having danced there earlier in her career.
In a statement, Rojo said she was “incredibly proud” of her time there. “It has been an honour to have led this extraordinary company for the last 10 years,” she added. “My admiration and support do not end here, I will remain invested in English National Ballet’s continued success in the years to come.”
General News & Sighting
- The Welsh Government announced a £15.4 million support package for the arts – specifically to help organisations that have experienced losses because of covid.
- Capacity restrictions for indoor events introduced by the Scottish Government before Christmas were extended for a further week, resulting in many show closures.
- STOP PRESS – Scottish theatres will be allowed to play to capacity audiences from the 24th of January.
- Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Cinderella” will re-open 4 days earlier than previously stated – on the 3rd of February. The choreography is by JoAnn M Hunter.
- “Frozen” has extended its West End run at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane to October 2022. Choreography is by Rob Ashford.
- After 2 sell out concerts at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane, “Bonnie & Clyde” will open at the Arts Theatre in London on the 9th of April. The show is directed by Nick Winston.
- The full cast has been confirmed for “Dirty Dancing” in the West End. It will star Michael O’Reilly as Johnny and Kira Malou as Baby.
- The delayed new production of “Raymonda” by Tamara Rojo and the English National Ballet opened at the Coliseum last night.
- At “Spring Awakening” this week, Kit Esuruoso (who normally plays Otto) stepped into the leading role of Morritz half way through the show! The show is playing at the Almeida theatre, with choreography by Lynne Page.
- “The Greatest Showman” star Keala Settle will make her West End debut with a 3 month stint in “& Juliet” from March.
- At least 50 shows that were part of the cancelled Vault Festival have been re-homed in theatres across London and the UK.
- Kevin Clifton and Burn The Floor started it’s UK tour in Cambridge.
- “Pretty Woman” announced 5 new cast members: Annabelle Laing, Cilla Silvia, Elly Jay, Patrick Barrett & Will Luckett.
Future Dance News
- Harry Stiles, Billie Eilish and Kanye West will headline this years Coachella Festival on the 15 – 17th of April & 22 – 24th of April.
- There was a press conference for the launch of “Dance Reflections” by Van Cleef & Arpels. This is a festival of past, present and future contemporary dance, presented with Sadlers Wells, the Royal Opera House and the Tate Modern.There are 16 productions and it will take place between the 9th and the 23rd of March.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- Erica Mulkern’s “Suzy Homemaker” will be performed at the Lawence Batley Theatre on the 25th of March.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- “Beautiful – The Carole King Musical” will open in Leicester on the 28th of February 2022. It will star Molly-Grace Cutler & Tom Milner and be choreographed by Leah Hill.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- Strictly announced the couples who will be appearing on the Strictly Live Tour. It will be Giovanni & Rose, Aljaz & Sara, Katya & Max George, Kai & Maisie, Nikita & Tilly, Nancy & Rhys and Johannes & John. In addition, the following Pro dancers will also be on the tour: Amy, Neil, Cameron, Luba & Jowita.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- Lucie Jones is to join the West End production of “Wicked” from the 1st of February 2022.
- “Anything Goes” will return to the Barbican Theatre from the 5th of July until the 3rd of September 2022. The choreography is by Kathleen Marshall and Carol Lee Meadows.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- A new production of “Grease” will come to London’s Dominion Theatre in 2022. The choreography is by Dame Arlene Phillips.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
Auditions & Appointments
- The Jackie Palmer Stage School is looking for a Dance Teacher to teach Tap, Modern, Ballet and MT. More details are on the website.
- New Adventures is looking for a Chief Operating Officer. Further details are on the website. The deadline is the 18th of February.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: email@example.com
- The Central School Of Ballet is looking for a Classical Ballet Tutor. This is a job-share position which is part-time and on a fixed contract from mid February to mid July 2022. The details are on the company website.
- The Place’s “Choreodrome” research residencies can be applied for now. These allow the artist funding and studio space for their projects. The deadline for applications is the 24th of January 2022. See the website for further details.
- “Wicked – The Movie” is looking for a wheelchair bound person to play Nessarose. Anybody interested should email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laine Theatre Arts is looking to appoint an Access And Participation Co-ordinator to drive the “Lanes To Laines” initiative – bridging the space between vocational training in dance & musical theatre and under-represented communities.
- Julie Bowers of BBO Dance has launced the GradPro programme to give graduates the opportunity to perform, with the possibility of being seen by leading dance directors. The closing date for applications is the 28th of January 2022..
- Birmingham Ceremonies is looking for pro dancers for both the opening and the closing ceremonies of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games this year.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Valentina Dolci is giving a Lyrical Jazz class for Intermediate / Advanced level on the 28th of January from 6.00 – 8.00pm at Ignite Studio in Glasgow.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Lizzie McConachie is giving a Commercial class at Pineapple Studios on Tuesdays from 7.30 – 8.30pm.
- Hannah Levitt Collins is giving a Heels class at Base Studios in London on the 15th of February from 2.00 – 4.00pm. You can book on Hannah’s Bio on Instagram.
- Sophina Afzal is teaching a Jazz/MT class at “Move It” on the 13th of March at 2.45pm.
- Hannah Cleeve is giving a Heels class on Friday the 11th of March from 2.15 – 3.00pm at “Move It”. (This will book up fast)
- Faith Newport will be teaching a Commercial / Hip Hop class on Fridays from 5.45 – 6.45pm at the Motion Studios, Bristol.
- Steffi Croxson is teaching 2 classes at “Move It”. A Salsa Fitness class on Friday the 11th at 1.45 – 2.30pm and a Barre Beats class on Sunday the 13th from 3.45 – 4.30pm.
- Jordi Guitart is teaching a class at “Move It” on the 12th of March at 2.15pm in the Fosse Studio.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is doing a 1 day Pro masterclass on the 29th of January 2022 at the Urdang Academy. This includes a ticket to the evening performance at Sadlers Wells that night.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Lauren Gore has her “Tappercise Class” every other Monday at the Holy Trinity Church, London NR21, from 7.30 – 8.15pm for £6 per class. Contact Lauren for further details.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- “Bonnie & Clyde” the musical starring Jeremy Jordan & Frances Mayli McCann, has been filmed at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane.
- We spotted: Danni Cash, Zara Richards, Emily Rae Baker, Emily Ellis, Alyce Justyne, Freya Nicole & Lauren Mcguire on ITV’s “Dancing On Ice”. The choreography was by Briony Albert and the contract was with Mass Talent.
- We spotted Lorna Brown & Annette Regis in the new video campaign for JD Official. The contract was with AJK.
- We spotted Alysha Prowse in “The Witcher”.
- We spotted Leanne Groutage in the latest advert for Freemans.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.