All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Rose Ayling-Ellis Praised For Deaf Tribute Dance on Strictly.
Strictly star Rose Ayling-Ellis and her dance partner Giovanni Pernice have been praised for paying tribute to the deaf community during their live performance on Saturday. The EastEnders actress, the first deaf contestant in the show’s history, danced alongside Giovanni Pernice to music by Clean Bandit and Zara Larsson. But halfway through, the music turned to muffled noise and silence, as the pair danced on.
After the performance, The pair were sent a video message from Hamilton Lodge School and College, a school for deaf children, whose pupils thanked them for using sign language. “You are great role models for us because you show that deaf and hearing people can work together to achieve anything,” they signed. “And like you, we want more people to learn how to sign.”
Which celebrity was voted off Strictly on Sunday night?
Strictly Come Dancing 2021 saw the departure of its seventh celebrity from the BBC ballroom dance competition on Sunday night – here’s who left after finishing in the bottom two.
37-year-old businesswoman Sara Davies, a favourite entrepreneur on BBC Two’s Dragon’s Den, was the latest celebrity to be voted off Strictly by judges.
Sara Davies and her partner Aljaz Skorjanec failed to impress the judges and public alike with an Argentine tango to No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) by Donna Summer. The duo landed in the bottom two with Tilly Ramsay and Nikita Kuzmin, who Strictly Come Dancing judges chose to save for a second week in a row.
BBC weatherman Owain Wyn Evans upbeat after raising £3m with 24-hour drumathon
BBC weatherman Owain Wyn Evans has completed his 24-hour drumathon for Children In Need, raising more than £3 million for the charity.
The Welsh broadcaster began his gruelling challenge on the BBC Breakfast show on Friday at 8.35am, drumming through the day and night until completing the fundraiser early on Saturday.
He finished his marathon drumming session to Britney Spears’s hit track Baby One More Time, chosen as the pop star celebrates her conservatorship being officially terminated on Friday after 13 years.
Strictly champ Flavia to teach absolute beginners at Paignton Theatre
Italian-born Flavia is one of the UK’s favourite dancers and won Strictly in 2012 with Olympic gymnast Louis Smith.
Now at her Dance with Flavia classes, she will teach the basics of ballroom and Latin. Each class will focus on a new dance style and Flavia says it’s a ‘fun and interactive way of learning to dance’.
Taking place in Stage Left, the Palace Theatre’s refurbished function space, there will be monthly Dance with Flavia Beginners Classes for Ladies as well as Beginners Classes for Couples, starting on Saturday, January 15.
For the couples’ classes, Flavia will be joined by her husband and dance partner, the EastEnders and Coronation Street actor Jimi Mistry. Places are limited and there is expected to be a huge demand.
General News & Sighting
- The Strictly Remembrance Pro dance was choreographed by Matt Flint, with assistance from Stephanie Powell Baxter.
- Jenny Thomas and Eddie Slattery choreographed the Charleston routine of Rhys & Nancy.
- Ash-Leigh Hunter and Arduino Bertoncello assisted Giovanni & Rose with the choreography on their Couple’s Choice routine.
- STOP PRESS – Strictly judge Craig Revel Horwood will miss next week’s show after testing positive for Covid.
- Janette Manrara will be hosting and dancing on the forthcoming Strictly Live Tour.
- Covid passes will be legally required at theatres in Wales from next week.
- “Moulin Rouge” opened this week in London. It is the first West End production to make wearing a mask mandatory.
- Philip Joel, of “Fosse Forest Ballet” fame, is to be the choreographer on “Children In Need” this year. Emily Kate Pettite is the Dance Captain.
- Julia Ruiz Fernandez is choreographing the Winter Wonderland Zippo’s Circus this year.
- Emmanuel Kojo has left “Beauty And The Beast” after he was suspended from the show amid claims of inappropriate language.
- Leonora Stapleton, a pro dancer for over 30 years, has died aged 58.
Future Dance News
- A new production of “Legally Blonde” has been announced for the Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre from the 13th May until the 2nd of July 2022. The choreographer is Ellen Kane.
- Giovanni & Luba from Strictly are starring in “Shall We Dance” on Sunday the 19th of December at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London.
- Sadlers Wells East, it’s new East London venue, will open in 2023 with a dance work featuring local dancers and choreographed by Vicki Igbokwe. The company’s Choreography School and Hip Hop College will be housed at the new venue.
- “South Pacific” will open at the Manchester Opera House on the 16th of July 2022, before embarking on a tour of the UK & Ireland. The production will star Julian Ovenden & Gina Beck. The choreographer is Ann Yee.
Auditions & Appointments
- The National Dance Company Wales is looking for a Rehearsal Director (salary £32,591). The closing date for applications is the 1st of December. Visit the company website for further details.
- Birmingham Royal Ballet is advertising auditions for Soloist and Principle dancers – by invitation only. The deadline is the 4th of December and the audition is on the 18th of December. Apply with CV, photos and video links to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pontins is looking for dancers to become Bluecoats. Open auditions are in Bristol (17th of November), Birmingham (23rd of November) & Manchester (24th of November). For more information go to: www.pontins.com/stage
- Balbir Singh Dance Company is seeking an Apprentice Dancer as part of it’s Talent Development. Find out more from: email@example.com
- Applications are open for The Place’s Resolution Festival 2022 – a festival of new choreography and performance works by emerging artists. The deadline to apply is the 30th of November.
- Pearson Casting are casting for the “Six – The Musical” tour of the UK, which commences in March 2022. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Birmingham Ceremonies is looking for pro dancers for both the opening and the closing ceremonies of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games next year.
- Dance Affinity are looking for a Dance Teacher to join them in Nottingham, working Mondays & Saturdays to begin with, on a self-employed basis. For more information : email@example.com
- West End show “Hamilton” is advertising for dancers. Auditions will be held in London – beginning in October and finishing in January 2022. Rehearsals will start on the 4th of April 2022. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Dance Teacher is required by DSP Performing Arts for Saturdays during Term time. See the company website for details.
- Akoma Asa Arts are looking for Dance Teachers. For more information, visit the company website.
- BBO Dance CEO Robin Bloor is to be succeeded by Joint CEO’s Julie Bowers and Fiona Knowerat at the end of January 2022.
- Glenn Graham is giving a Dance Winter Intensive on the 4th & 5th of December at Jacksons Lane Arts Centre in London for £65. The class is aimed at Graduates and dancers in full-time training.
- Joanne Clifton & Tjasa Vulic are holding a masterclass on the 21st of November at Studio 68, London, from 2.00 – 6.00pm. You can book on: email@example.com
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures Company is doing a 1 day Pro masterclass on the 29th of January 2022 at the Urdang Academy. This includes a ticket to the evening performance at Sadlers Wells that night.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop /Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 20.30 – 21.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Erica Mulkern has a “Suzy Homemaker” dance workshop on the 7th of December from 11.00 – 1.15pm at the Drama Studio in Sheffield.
- Redbox Dance have a Dance Day with Brendon Hansford & Li Li Hodge on Saturday the 20th of November at Somers Town Community Sports Centre. Contact Redbox Dance for further details.
- Lauren Gore has her “Tappercise Class” every other Monday at the Holy Trinity Church, London NR21, from 7.30 – 8.15pm for £6 per class. Contact Lauren for further details.
- Adam Garcia is doing a series of Tap classes with LaVolta events: the 5th of December (Hull), & the 12th of December (Doncaster).
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 2.15 – 3.15pm & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm. There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 1.00 – 2.25pm.
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- We spotted the following pro dancers at the MTV EMA Awards: Millie Lund, Mina Neighbour, Molly McGibbon, Myles Newland, Natasha Scrase, Nathaniel Williams, Nicole Hastings, Kaea Pearce, Keli Hall, Khawla Amina, Kyle Seeley, Lamin Holmen, Lashay Harvey, Liam Sale, Victoria Mudima & Hannah Levitt Collins. The contract was with AMCK.
- We spotted Jenny Fatore & Sherisse Bisram in the new film “Eternals”.
- We spotted Natalie Twist in the latest advert for Sports Direct.
- We spotted Flavia Cacace, Ola Jordan and AJ & Curtis Pritchard in the Freeman’s Christmas advert. The choreography is by Marie McGonigle.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.