All the latest dance, theatre, and stage news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Adele to take on Brits 2022.
Adele has confirmed she will perform in next week’s Brit Awards ceremony following the cancellation of her Las Vegas residency.
The Easy On Me hitmaker, 33 also took time to address the speculation that there was trouble brewing between her and boyfriend Rich Paul. According to reports, the couple have had trouble spending time with one another with some claiming that Rich was the reason Adele pulled the plug on her highly-anticipated live gig.
The global star shared a blurry picture of herself smiling on Instagram, and wrote: ‘Hiya, so I’m really happy to say that I am performing at the Brits next week!!
Doja Cat pulls out of Brit Awards 2022
Doja Cat has been forced to cancel her performance at the Brit Awards 2022 due to several of her crew members testing positive for Covid. The Woman singer was on the line-up for the awards ceremony in London on February 8, joining the likes of Dave, Ed Sheeran and Liam Gallagher.
However, Doja announced she was pulling out of the show on Monday, writing in a statement: ‘Unfortunately, due to cases of Covid within my crew, I will no longer be performing at the Brits. ‘It’s simply not safe for us to continue to rehearse together and put each other in harm’s way. I can’t wait to perform for my UK fans as soon as I can. Take care of yourselves.’
This year’s Brit Awards will be hosted by Mo Gilligan at London’s O2 Arena, with Clara Amfo and Maya Jama set to present The BRIT Awards Red Carpet.
The Brit Awards 2022 will air on ITV at 8 pm on February 8.
Super Bowl half-time arrangement under scrutiny over unpaid ‘volunteers’
The Super Bowl half-time arrangement are under scrutiny over unpaid ‘volunteers’
People on-field during the show, many of whom are trained dancers, participate in nearly two weeks of rehearsals but aren’t paid
It’s an annual tradition as ingrained as throwing Gatorade on the winning coach: the moment when the Super Bowl half-time performer takes to the stage and the football field is filled with “fans” cheering them on.
The Los Angeles Times reported last week that those audience members are in fact hundreds of unpaid “volunteers” who participate in nearly two weeks of rehearsals ahead of the Super Bowl, many of whom are trained dancers recruited from the same agency that represents the paid dancers on the halftime show stage.
The arrangement is now under scrutiny after Taja Riley, a professional dancer, who called out the people behind the nation’s highest-grossing sporting event for not paying the trained dancers used in the show. She accused the NFL and Roc Nation, who are producing the half-time show, of exploiting the labour of mostly Black artists.
Edinburgh dancer Rory Macleod’s dream comes true.
Edinburgh dancer Rory Macleod’s dream comes true as he makes his professional debut in Matthew Bourne’s ground-breaking Nutcracker!
A trip to the Festival Theatre with his gran to see Matthew Bourne’s Cinderella when he was just 16 triggered Rory MacLeod’s dream of performing with the world-renowned New Adventures dance company. Four years on, the Boroughmuir High FP is making his professional debut, doing just that.
The 20-year-old who was born and brought up in Bruntsfield is currently on tour with Matthew Bourne’s iconic Nutcracker!, which brings him home to Scotland later this month, and he can not wait. “Just before I went to college, I saw my first Matthew Bourne show,” he recalls. “It was Cinderella at the Festival Theatre. I went with my gran and afterwards, I said to her, ‘That is what I want to do.’
The good news for Rory is that after Nutcracker! he will continue to live the dream, he has just been cast in Matthew Bourne’s The Car Man, at London’s Royal Albert Hall, later this year.
What’s opening in London Theatreland this February
Dirty Dancing (opens 2 February)
Dirty Dancing is heading to the West End stage to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the iconic film. ‘The Classic Story on Stage’ is opening at London’s Dominion Theatre for a limited West End run this week! Tickets for Dirty Dancing are in high demand, so be sure to book whilst the best availability lasts! You already know you’re going to have the time of your life.
Cyrano de Bergerac (opens 3 February)
Cyrano de Bergerac starring James McAvoy is returning to London after a hugely successful run at the West End’s Playhouse Theatre in early 2020. The acclaimed production will open at the Harold Pinter Theatre in the first week of February for a strictly limited 5-week run! You won’t want to miss this classic play in the West End. Book your tickets for Cyrano de Bergerac now before it’s too late!
Saturday Night Fever (opens 4 February)
Bill Kenwright’s dazzling production of Saturday Night Fever is opening at London’s Peacock Theatre this week for a limited 8-week run. Get ready to experience the iconic Bee Gees soundtrack in this spectacularly reimagined music and dance extravaganza live on stage. Make sure to book your tickets for Saturday Night Fever and get ready to boogie like never before!
West End Musical Love Songs (opens 14 February)
Celebrate Valentine’s Day in the West End with West End Musical Love Songs, coming to London’s Lyric Theatre for one-night-only! From the producers of your favourite West End Extravaganzas, West End Musical Celebration and West End Musical Christmas comes this all singing and dancing spectacular show. Featuring your favourite love songs from an all-star line-up! Get your tickets for West End Musical Love Songs whilst availability lasts!
Persuasion (opens 26 February)
Jane Austen’s Persuasion is reimagined for the current age with this Rose Theatre production. This classic romance is brought into the modern-day, by remixing the 19th-century tale with a 21st-century soundtrack!
General News & Sighting
- The line up was announced for the “Strictly – The Professionals Tour”: Dianne, Nadiya, Graziano, Karen, Katya, Neil, Cameron, Gorka, Luba & Kai. The choreographer will be Jason Gilkinson.
- “A Night With Boy Blue” will take place on the 5th & 6th of March. This is the company’s biennial showcase and it will be hosted by “Micky J” Assante & Kenrick “H2O” Sandy.
- “But I’m A Cheerleader” announced it’s full cast. The show will run at the Turbine Theatre in London from mid February. It will star Alice Croft and have choreography from Alexzandra Sarmiento.
- “Mary Poppins” starring Zizi Strallen, has extended it’s West End run until the 10th of July. The choreography is by Stephen Mear and Sir Matt Bourne.
- “Six – The Musical” extends it’s West End run at the Vaudeville Theatre until the 2nd of April 2023. The choreography is by Carrie-Anne Ingrouille.
- “Heathers – The Musical” extends its London run at the Other Palace Theatre until the 1st of May. The choreography is by Gary Lloyd.
- Sonia Sabri has announced a full programme of events and performances for the first half of the year to mark the 20th anniversary of the company. All the details are on the website.
- NDT 2 (Nederlands Dans Theatre) have 2 UK premieres at Sadlers Wells in London from the 16th to the 19th of February.
- “Six – The Musical” announces a new cast for its touring production. Chloe Hart, Jennifer Caldwell, Casey Al-Shaqsy, Aiesha Pease, Jaina Brock-Patel & Alana M Robinson will join the production from the 8th of March in Guildford.
- Northern Ballet announced that Federico Bonelli will be the company’s new Artistic Director.
- Applications for this years Clore Fellowship are now open. Applications close on the 24th of February.
Future Dance News
- Sir Matt Bourne announced that “The Car Man” will be at the Royal Albert Hall in London from the 9th until the 19th of June.
- Craig Revel Horwood announced his “All Balls And Glitter” tour of the UK.
- In the Autumn, Northern Ballet will visit 10 cities with revivals of two family favourites: “The Little Mermaid” & “The Nutcracker”, plus a premiere of “Three Short Ballets”. The season will open at the Leeds Playhouse.
- Harry Styles announced a UK & European tour starting in Glasgow in June.
- “Beauty and the Beast” which is currently touring in the UK, will have a limited run at the London Palladium from the 24th of June until the 17th of September. Directed and choreographed by Matt West, with new dance arrangements by David Chase. Nick Winston is the Associate UK Director / Choreographer with Chandon Jones as Associate Choreographer.
- The Dance Space, Brighton’s first building designed specifically for dance, will open in July 2022.
- Harry Stiles, Billie Eilish and Kanye West will headline this years Coachella Festival on the 15 – 17th of April & 22 – 24th of April.
- There was a press conference for the launch of “Dance Reflections” by Van Cleef & Arpels. This is a festival of past, present and future contemporary dance, presented with Sadlers Wells, the Royal Opera House and the Tate Modern.There are 16 productions and it will take place between the 9th and the 23rd of March.
- The “Peaky Blinders” inspired dance show will premiere in Birmingham at the Hippodrome on the 27th of September. This will be directed and choreographed by Benoit Swan with the Rambert Ballet.
- Tim Rice confirms that “Chess” is set for Broadway.
- Erica Mulkern’s “Suzy Homemaker” will be performed at the Lawence Batley Theatre on the 25th of March.
- The Barn Theatre, Cirencester, has unveiled its 2022 season, which includes a number of musical revivals.
- “Beautiful – The Carole King Musical” will open in Leicester on the 28th of February 2022. It will star Molly-Grace Cutler & Tom Milner and be choreographed by Leah Hill.
- The revival of “White Christmas” will embark on a new tour in 2022. It will open on the 22nd of November 2022 at the Nottingham Theatre Royal. The choreography is by Stephen Mear.
- A new revival of “Jekyll & Hyde” has been announced to open in April 2022. It will be choreographed by Sarah Golding.
- “Anything Goes” will return to the Barbican Theatre from the 5th of July until the 3rd of September 2022. The choreography is by Kathleen Marshall and Carol Lee Meadows.
- Chance 2 Dance will present “The Showcase Arena” in Manchester on the 26th & 27th of March 2022.
- A new production of “Grease” will come to London’s Dominion Theatre in 2022. The choreography is by Dame Arlene Phillips.
- The Broadway production of “My Fair Lady” will open at the London Coliseum in May 2022.
Auditions & Appointments
- National Dance Company Wales is looking for dancers. Auditions will be held at the Dance House in Cardiff on the 2nd of April. For further information and an application pack, visit the website. The deadline is the 7th of March.
- Portland Ballet in the USA is looking for company dancers and apprentices. Audition is by invitation only. The application deadline is the 31st of March. See the company website for further details.
- The Jackie Palmer Stage School is looking for a Dance Teacher to teach Tap, Modern, Ballet and MT. More details are on the website.
- New Adventures is looking for a Chief Operating Officer. Further details are on the website. The deadline is the 18th of February.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: email@example.com
- The Central School Of Ballet is looking for a Classical Ballet Tutor. This is a job-share position which is part-time and on a fixed contract from mid February to mid July 2022. The details are on the company website.
- “Wicked – The Movie” is looking for a wheelchair bound person to play Nessarose. Anybody interested should email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laine Theatre Arts is looking to appoint an Access And Participation Co-ordinator to drive the “Lanes To Laines” initiative – bridging the space between vocational training in dance & musical theatre and under-represented communities.
- Birmingham Ceremonies is looking for pro dancers for both the opening and the closing ceremonies of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games this year.
- Lara Hunt has a Contemporary class on Friday from 5.30 – 6.30pm at Hi-Bri’s Dance Studio in Solihull. Book at: email@example.com
- BOP is running an Artist Development Programme on each Friday In February and March from 1.00 – 4.00pm with Dollie Henry. This is aimed at Graduate and Pro dancers. Further details are on the BOP website.
- Russell Maliphant is offering a session for contemporary dancers on the 10th of February from 6.00 – 8.00pm at the Excelsior Studios in London. Tickets are available on Eventbrite.
- If you live in LA, Tobias Ellehammer is teaching at Millenium Studios in North Hollywood on Fridays from 7.00 – 9.00pm.
- Holly Johnson is offering Commercial dance classes at the Rooftop Studios in Leek on Wednesdays for £5 per class. Aged 16+. Message Holly on Facebook for more details.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Gilchrist is offering a Commercial class on Mondays from 7.15 – 8.45pm for £7 at the Grove Community Hub in Leicester, LE31QZ.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Lizzie McConachie is giving a Commercial class at Pineapple Studios on Tuesdays from 7.30 – 8.30pm.
- Hannah Levitt Collins is giving a Heels class at Base Studios in London on the 15th of February from 2.00 – 4.00pm. You can book on Hannah’s Bio on Instagram.
- Sophina Afzal is teaching a Jazz/MT class at “Move It” on the 13th of March at 2.45pm.
- Hannah Cleeve is giving a Heels class on Friday the 11th of March from 2.15 – 3.00pm at “Move It”. (This will book up fast)
- Faith Newport will be teaching a Commercial / Hip Hop class on Fridays from 5.45 – 6.45pm at the Motion Studios, Bristol.
- Steffi Croxson is teaching 2 classes at “Move It”. A Salsa Fitness class on Friday the 11th at 1.45 – 2.30pm and a Barre Beats class on Sunday the 13th from 3.45 – 4.30pm.
- Jordi Guitart is teaching a class at “Move It” on the 12th of March at 2.15pm in the Fosse Studio.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Drew McOnie is giving a dance class at Pineapple Studios on Fridays at 6.30 – 8.30pm.
- Lizzie McConachie is teaching on Thursdays at Base Studios from 2.30 – 4.00pm.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Lauren Gore has her “Tappercise Class” every other Monday at the Holy Trinity Church, London NR21, from 7.30 – 8.15pm for £6 per class. Contact Lauren for further details.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £9.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
- Dollie Henry offers a weekly Jazz class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Sundays from 4.15 – 5.45pm.
- Michael & Jowita, the winners of “The Greatest Dancer”, are offering a full range of dance classes at their Studio in Ealing, London.
Film And Video
- Choreographer Drew McOnie confirmed that rehearsals are underway for the Take That musical movie: “Greatest Days”. News about casting and a possible release date are expected shortly..
- We spotted Austyn Farrell, Billy Roy Sawyer & Danny Williams on the new Ru Paul UK tour. The contract was with AJK.
- We spotted the following dancers working at the Joy Awards in Saudi Arabia: Mari Macleoud, Oliver Andrews, Mina Neighbour, Charlotte Anderson, Joy Duckrell, Anders Deano Nielson, Kieran D-W & Darcey Simmons. The choreographer was Jay Revell and the contract was with Kutes.
- We spotted Pia Tarbox in a TV advert for “The Chase”.
- We spotted Amy Cooke & Danni Cash modelling for Wella.
- We spotted Kate Thompson dancing on ITV’s “The Masked Singer”.
- We spotted the following dancers on the latest Freeman’s TV advert: Oluwatosin, Anna Sporri, Carmelle Rudder & Leanne Groutage. The choreography was by Marie McGonigle.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates next Tuesday as usual.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.