All the latest news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Bonfire Night Shocker for Ellie Simmonds, the Sixth Celebrity to Depart the Strictly Ballroom Floor.
Ellie Simmonds is the sixth celebrity to depart the dance floor in Strictly Come Dancing 2022 after facing Molly Rainford in the dreaded dance-off. Both couples performed their routines again, with Ellie and her dance partner Nikita Kuzmin performing their Charleston to Too Darn Hot from Kiss Me Kate.
Motsi Mabuse added: “First of all I thought that dance-off was incredible. Both couples really, really just danced exceptionally well. I have decided to save Molly and Carlos.”
Fans took to Twitter to express their disappointment over Ellie’s exit, with one person writing: “We will miss you Ellie!” while another added: “Gutted. Wasn’t ready for this. Gonna miss the partnership between @EllieSimmonds1@kuzmin__nikita won’t be the same without you both.”
On leaving the BBC programme, Ellie said: “I’ve literally had the time of my life. It’s been the most incredible experience – life-changing really… We went out there and danced our life out every single night and I loved it so much.”
Matilda movie releases first listen to “Revolting Children” from new soundtrack.
A first number has been released from the upcoming Matilda musical movie.
The full album from the new flick, based on the currently running West End hit, is set for digital release on 18 November (with a CD release on 9 December).
Of the soundtrack, composer Tim Minchin said: “It’s now 15 years since Matthew Warchus and Dennis Kelly asked me to help them create Matilda The Musical, and I never dreamed that the songs would still be finding new life now. Matilda The Musical has now been performed all over the world, in different accents, different languages, and by performers of all stripes; each of them bringing to the tale their own style, their own experiences, their own passion. This album is another — very, very exciting — chapter in the Matilda story.”
Click Here To Listen
Musical theatre festival announces 2023 plans.
The 2023 plans have been revealed for Gaiety Musical Theatre Festival, which is taking place late next spring. The event, which was postponed in 2022, will be playing at Ragley Hall in Warwickshire on Sunday 30 April 2023.
Set to appear will be a variety of stars previously set for 2022, including Kerry Ellis (Anything Goes), Collabro (as part of one of their last performances), Lee Mead (Legally Blonde), Cassidy Janson (& Juliet), Lauren Samuels (Grease) and Sophie Evans (Wicked). Joining them and announced today will be Marisha Wallace (Oklahoma!) with all main stage artists set to be accompanied by the London Musical Theatre Orchestra.
A silent disco will provide much-loved musical tunes, while further events and stalls will be placed across the 20-acre site.
Producer Mike Wilson said: “We are delighted that Gaiety Festival is back, and bigger than ever! Our production team continue to work tirelessly to stage an event unlike anything seen before; a festival where musical theatre fans from across the country can immerse themselves in the best entertainment and experiences on offer.
“Today’s announcement is just the beginning, and we can’t wait to share even more exciting news over the coming months as we count down to the big day. It’s going to be spectacular!”
The festival is launching with a limited 2,000 early bird tickets at £25. Coach tickets will be made available soon for those based in Birmingham, London, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwick, Worcestershire and Coventry.
The festival is taking place in Warwickshire in April 2023
Lewis Capaldi and Paolo Nutini win at Scottish Music Awards.
Lewis Capaldi, Sir Rod Stewart and Paolo Nutini have all collected prizes at this year’s Scottish Music Awards. The outstanding achievement in music award went to Sir Rod, who also performed live at the ceremony in Glasgow’s Barrowland Ballroom Capaldi took home the Raymond Weil global artist of the year accolade. Nutini scooped the best album and best live act awards following his comeback from a four-year hiatus. Tamzene, Wet Leg, Gerry Cinnamon and The View were among the other winners at the event.
Hosted by Edith Bowman, the 24th edition of the awards raised funds for Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy Charity. Capaldi, whose latest hit Forget Me catapulted to the top of the charts in September, accepted his prize through a pre-recorded message.
Singer Cinnamon won the King Tut’s songwriting prize, while Clare Grogan from new wave band Altered Images won the living legend gong. Social media star Rianne Downey took home the breakthrough award. Tamzene, who opened the show, won the rising star accolade.
The View were awarded the special recognition honour, while Wet Leg were named as the best UK artist.
Bros bassist turned record label boss Craig Logan was recognised with the Go Radio music industry award.
The Nordoff Robbins charity uses music to help those affected by life-limiting physical and mental illness, disabilities or feelings of isolation. Chief executive Sandra Schembri said it was a “fantastic” night. “We are humbled by the Scottish music industry’s ongoing support of Nordoff Robins and grateful to all the winners and performers that joined us at the Barrlowlands the year.
“The funds raised through the SMAs will go directly towards our mission to continue sharing the power of music as far and wide as possible, helping people to connect and communicate through music therapy.”
Strictly Come Dancing’s AJ Odudu is set to switch on the Christmas lights in her hometown of Blackburn.
The light switch-on will also be hosted by BBC Radio Lancashire presenters Nish Hindocha and Sharon Hartley and is set to take place on Saturday November 26. And Lancashire-born TV dancer will take the switch-flipping honours.
The event will begin with a performance by Blackburn with Darwen Brass Band, followed by an all-singing, all-dancing opening show by Blackburn-based Pop Up Entertainment.
During the afternoon, talented local dance and theatre schools and performing arts groups will all entertain the crowds. The show finale will begin at 5.30pm and will showcase a cast of singers, dancers, and performers – will culminate in the town centre’s beautiful Christmas Lights being switched on by AJ, followed by an incredible fireworks display.
Catherine Price, Blackburn Town Centre BID manager, said: “This year’s Christmas programme promises to bring smiles to the faces of everyone visiting Blackburn with lots to see and do this festive period.
“We are delighted to announce that Blackburn’s very own AJ Odudu will be our special guest this year, officially switching on the Christmas lights for the town. We have taken the opportunity to spread out the festive programme to bring as much joy as possible to visitors this Christmas.
As well as the Christmas Lights Switch On, a festive ‘Blackburn Gingerbread Christmas Trail’, organised by Blackburn Business Improvement District (BID), will run between 2 December and 31 December.
General News & Sighting
- The Arts Council England announced its funding plans for 2023-6: 990 organisations (with 276 new companies) received a share of £446 million. The majority of venues saw funding either frozen or small increases. The Royal Opera House saw funding cut by 9% from £24.5 million to £22.3 million. The biggest dance company winner was Ballet Black which saw its grant rise from £220,000 to £424,000. The Arts Council stated that there was a general move to support the arts outside of London. Graham Watts has written a good review of the funding plans in www.bachtrack.com
- Ellie and Nikita left the Strictly competition. The pro dance was a collaboration between choreographers Jason Gilkison and Prabhleen Oberoi on a Bollywood special. Choreographers Jenny Thomas & Sean Moon helped Tony & Katya and Ellie & Nikita with their routines. Maria Tsiatsiani & Leandro Palou did the choreography for Kym & Graziano. We spotted Jasmine Gough, Katie Anjuli & Eddie Saleem as guest pro dancers in the Bollywood routine.
- “The Bodyguard” announced the complete cast for its 2023 tour. It will star Ayden Callaghan and Melody Thornton. The cast includes: Abbie Quinnen, Kalisha Johnson, Charlotte Scally and Yiota Theo. The tour will open on the 28th of January in Glasgow.
- Alexia Khadime (Elphaba) and Lucy St Louis (Glinda) will take over the lead roles in “Wicked” on the West End from the 7th of March 2023. The new cast includes: Amy Webb, Effie Rae Dyson, Kate Leiper, Jemima Loddy & Aiesha Naomi Pease.
- Jordan Luke Gage and Frances Mayli McCann will return for the West End production of “Bonnie and Clyde” which opens at the Garrick Theatre on the 4th of March 2023.
- Amy Everett will be playing Sleeping Beauty in “Sleeping Beauty” at the New Theatre Royal in Portsmouth this Christmas.
- The Royal Academy of Dance is to bestow the Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Award, its highest honour, to Mikhail Baryshnikov.
- The Broadway production of “Six” will introduce 6 new Queens to the Lena Thorne theatre on the 5th of December.
- Patricia Ruanne, a former principle dancer with the Royal Ballet and the London Festival Ballet, has passed away.
Future Dance Events News
- “Winnie The Pooh” will start previews at London’s Riverside Studios from the 17th of March 2023. It will then tour the UK and Ireland. The role of Winnie will be played by Jake Bazel.
- “Bonnie & Clyde” will return for a limited season at the Garrick Theatre from the 4th of March until the 20th of May 2023. It will be directed and choreographed by Nick Winston.
- A new production of “Hairspray” will take place at the Kilworth House Theatre in Leicestershire from the 27th of June until the 6th of August 2023.
- Broadway hit “MJ”, based on Michael Jackson’s 1992 “Dangerous” tour, will open at the Prince Edward Theatre in London in March 2024. It is being choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon.
- Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Cinderella” will open as “Bad Cinderella” at the Imperial Theatre on Broadway on the 17th of February 2023. The choreography is by JoAnn M Hunter.
- Anton Du Beke announced his tour for 2023.
- A “Hocus Pocus” musical is on its way to Broadway, according to David Kirschner, the producer of the film.
- Oti Mabuse has organised “London Dance Nights” at the Novotel in Hammersmith on the 12th of November with dance shows, workshops and a dinner and dance.
- “Greatest Days”, the official Take That musical, is to tour the UK next year.
- A new production of “Miss Saigon” will be presented at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield from the 8th of July 2023 until the 12th of August. It will star Joanna Ampil.
- The Broadway musical “Ain’t Too Proud” is to open at the Prince Edward theatre on the 31st of March next year replacing “Mary Poppins”. The Broadway show won a Tony award for Best Choreography by Sergio Trujilio.
- The cast and creatives of the Theatre du Chatelet’s production of “42nd Street” have been announced. It will be directed and choreographed by Stephen Mear and will open on the 7th of December.
- The “Ballet Icons Gala” will take place on the 19th of February 2023 at the London Coliseum. Graham Watts is the Artistic Advisor.
- The Mill at Sonning has unveiled its 2022-23 season of shows including two musical revivals: “Top Hat” will star Jonny Labey with choreography from Ashley Nottingham and take place from the 16th of November until the 30th of December. “Gypsy” will play from the 24th of May until the 15th of July 2023. The casting and creatives for the latter show have yet to be announced.
- “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” has confirmed new dates for its second UK tour which begins in September 2023. It will open at The Lowry in Salford on the 7th of September.
- Simon Lipkin and Georgina Castle will star in the West End revival of the musical “Elf” at the Dominion Theatre. The choreography is by Liam Steel. The show will open on the 14th of November.
- “Annie” will embark on a new tour in 2023, opening at the Curve Theatre in Leicester on the 25th of February before touring.
- “Back To The Future” has revealed plans to open on Broadway in 2023.
- Dolly Parton’s “Smokey Mountain Christmas Carol – A New Musical” will get a European premiere in December at the Southbank Centre in London. It will play from the 8th of December until the 8th of January 2023.
- Further touring dates were announced for the new production of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – The Musical”. It will open at the Leeds Playhouse on the 18th of November.
- Casting was announced for the world premiere of “Mandela”, the new musical at The Young Vic theatre in London. It will star Michael Luwoye as Nelson Mandela and Danielle Fiamanya as Winnie Mandela. The show will run from the 29th of November until the 4th of February 2023. The choreography is by Gregory Maqoma.
- “The Bodyguard” will embark on a new UK tour at Glasgow on the 28th of January 2023.
- Disney’s musical “Newsies” will begin at the Troubadour Theatre Wembley Park on the 29th of November, with an official premiere on the 8th of December. Direction and choreography is by Matt Cole, with Jane McMurtrie as Associate Choreographer.
- A new production of “Shrek The Musical” announced a UK tour from July 2023. Nick Winston will be the choreographer.
- “Dirty Dancing” is to return to the Dominion Theatre on the 21st of January 2023. The choreography is by Austin Wilks..
- Rodgers & Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” will run at the Hope Mill Theatre from the 1st of November until the 11th of December. It will be directed by Joseph Houston and choreographed by William Whelton.
- “Jagged Little Pill” will transfer from Broadway to London in November.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
Auditions & Vacancies
- Phoenix Dance Company is holding auditions for contemporary dancers to join the company in Leeds on the 28th of November. The deadline for applications is the 14th of November. For more information, contact: phoenixdancetheatre.co.uk
- Mountview London is looking for a Senior Dance Tutor to join the performance team.
- Rambert is looking for a male dancer for its production of “Peaky Blinders”. The audition is by invitation only and will take place on the 18th of November. The closing date for applications is the 14th of November. For more information, contact: email@example.com
- Pontins are looking for dancers to become Bluecoats. There are open auditions in London on the 22nd of November, Birmingham on the 23rd of November and Manchester on the 24th of November. For more details contact: www.pontins.com/stage
- “The Royal Family” is holding company auditions on the 27th – 29th of January 2023. For further details, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Netherlands Choreography Competition is looking for emerging choreographers worldwide who are willing to present their work and compete with the chance of winning e1,500. The competition is in Haarlem in the Netherlands on the 9th of December. The deadline for applications is the 27th of November. For more information, contact: email@example.com
- “Resolution 2023” is The Place’s annual festival for new choreography. It will take place from the 18th of May until the 16th of June. Applications close on the 30th of November. For more information, contact Will or Joseph at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stuart Glover is looking for male dancers with excellent acro / fire and other circus skills available in December. Contact: email@example.com
- Taira Foo is looking for dancers of playing age 35+ for her new project. Rehearsals will be from the 7th until the 24th of November in London, with a performance on the 25th of November in Liverpool. The fee is £1,482 plus accommodation. For more information, contact Taira at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Pegasus Theatre is offering £1,000 to 3 dance artists to showcase their work in “Moving With The Times”, part of the 2023 Dancing Oxford Spring Dance Festival taking place on the 3rd and 4th of March 2023. For more information contact: www.pegasustheatre.org.uk
- Burn The Floor is looking for 10 dancers who specialise in Ballroom. Email: email@example.com
- Erica Mulkern is looking for a Ballet Teacher – cover in Leeds for the 14th of November and the 21st of November for Advanced Ballet Technique at Leeds University. Email Erica on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Las Vegas show “Rouge” is looking for male dancers who are eligible to work in America. For more details contact: email@example.com
- Performers College Birmingham are recruiting for a Principle Lecturer of Jazz and Tap. For further information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Three Rings Agency is looking for dancers for show contracts in Las Vegas. Contact: email@example.com
- The Place in London is looking for Professional Dance Teachers. Visit the website for further details and how to apply.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures is offering a “Sleeping Beauty” masterclass for professional dancers and those in training on the 10th of December. The class includes a ticket to see “Sleeping Beauty” at Sadlers Wells the same evening.
- Keeley Dann is doing a SASS Soul Heels workshop on the 12th of November at Base Studios in London from 11.00am – 1.00pm.
- AYAW is offering a Christmas Intensive workshop in Liverpool on the 22nd of December with teachers, Nicolette Whitley, Josh Wharmby & George Cartwright for £25. Book on the AYAW page on Instagram.
- Emily Shepherd has a Dance Fit & Stretch class at Pineapple Studios in London every Wednesday from 7.00 – 8.00pm.
- Ola Papior is giving classes at the Base Studios in London on the 13th, 20th & 26th of November plus the 3rd of December for £15. To book email: email@example.com.
- Royal Ballet star Mica Bradbury is collaborating with physiotherapist (and ex-dancer) Aimee Higgs to offer a strength and conditioning workshop at the Royal Opera House on the 20th of November from 1.00 – 5.00pm. Contact Mica for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures is offering a “Winter Adventure” from the 22nd to the 24th of November. The deadline for applications is the 28th of October. Apply at: new-adventures.net/opportunities
- Katie Mayfield is offering a Musical Theatre class on Fridays from 7.30 – 8.30pm at the Alexandra Studios in Brighton for £8. DM Katie on her Instagram to book.
- Elise Bulley is offering classes on Mondays from 6.00 – 7.00pm at the Coastguard Studios in Southsea. Book via: empowerwithelise.simplybookit/v2
- Chloe Miles is doing a Heels class every Monday from 7.15 – 8.15pm at Unit 6, Stumps Lane in Spalding for £5. Email: email@example.com
- Hannah Cleeve has a weekly Heels class at Base Dance Studios (the James Brown Studio) on Wednesdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £11.
- Flavia Cacace is offering a Beginners Couples Class at Blackawton Village Hall, Totnes, on Thursdays at 7.00pm. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amy Ireland has a weekly Tap class at the Base Studios on Thursdays at 2.00pm and Contemporary Jazz at 3.00pm.
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Lowri Jackson has a weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: email@example.com
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio. Christabelle also teaches at the Dance Attic on Thursday from 6.15 – 8.15pm.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
Film And Video
- We spotted Yasmin Ogbu in the latest advert for Mercedes.
- We spotted Oluwatosin. Curtisha Kruyt, Darcey Simmons & Naomi Weijand in Mae Muller’s new video for “I just came to dance”. The choreography was by Claudimar Neto.
- We spotted the following dancers in “Enola Holmes 2 ” on Netflix: Hannah Bodenham, Sophie Turner, Annie Blomfield, Charlotte Woof, Madeleine Waters, Miekaile Browne, Ramzan Miah & Preeti Sian. The contract was with AJK.
- We spotted Janette & Aljaz in the latest advert for Freemans.
- We spotted Lowri Beth Evans, Lana Dolan & Lucy Sharpe in episode 2 of “SAS Rogue Heroes” on BBC1.
- We spotted Honor Roche in the “See How They Run” movie out on Disney Plus.
Dincwear Dancewear will keep watching the news and bring you further updates in the next edition.
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.