All the latest news from Dincwear Dancewear.
Kym and Graziano take their final bow in Musicals Week.
Kym Marsh has become the 10th celebrity to leave Strictly Come Dancing after she made it back on the dancefloor after battling Covid. The presenter and former Hear’Say star, 46, faced Molly Rainford in the dance-off after finding herself at the bottom of the leaderboard with 34 points.
Asked if she had any final words, Kym added: ‘Honestly I’ve loved every single second that I’ve been here. I never thought I’d get to this stage in a million years. ‘I have to say, it’s all down to this man (Graziano) here, he is just wonderful and he will be my friend forever. ‘But what a journey it’s been, this show is just wonderful, it shows you things about yourself you don’t know, it shows you how tough you can be. ‘Everybody, the crew, the celebs, the pros, costume, make-up, everyone is amazing. I’ve had the best time, so thank you.’
Britney Spears musical ‘Once Upon a One More Time’ sets Broadway run.
A fairy-tale mash-up featuring the songs of Britney Spears will arrive on Broadway next spring, after enchanting D.C. theatregoers in its world premiere last winter.
The jukebox musical “Once Upon a One More Time” begins Broadway previews May 13 at the Marquis Theatre in New York, producers James L. Nederlander and Hunter Arnold announced Friday. The official opening night is set for June 22.
“We’re just really proud to have made the contributions to take it to that next level,” said Chris Jennings, executive director of the Shakespeare Theatre in D.C., where the musical ran from November 2021 to January, selling out the 774-seat Sidney Harman Hall and earning a one-week extension.
Jennings told The Washington Post that the high-octane, extremely non-biographical musical — his company’s first full production since the pandemic began — was the best-selling show in its 36-year history. “This show was such a gift and so essential after having been shut for so long,” he said.
Britney Spears joins Elton John for first song since conservatorship ended
A slew of recent Broadway shows, including the now-running “MJ the Musical” about Michael Jackson and “A Beautiful Noise: The Neil Diamond Musical,” have followed a biographical formula, weaving the artists’ songs into a plot built around their life story.
“Once Upon a One More Time” goes a more fantastical route, deploying Spears chart-toppers such as “Oops! … I Did It Again,” “Circus” and “Toxic” as it tells a storybook-like tale in which Cinderella, Snow White and their fellow princesses experience a feminist awakening after reading Betty Friedan’s “The Feminine Mystique.” It avoids the potentially thorny challenge of navigating the 41-year-old pop star’s personal life, including a recently terminated conservatorship that gave her father and others almost complete control over her personal life and finances.
The show’s Broadway cast will be announced at a later date. It is directed and choreographed by the married team of Keone and Mari Madrid, experienced hip-hop choreographers helming their first Broadway show. They’ll be aided by creative consultant David Leveaux, a five-time Tony-nominated director. Scenic designer Anna Fleischle and costume and hair designer Loren Elstein will return after working on the D.C. staging, and Tony-winning lighting designer Kenneth Posner (“Wicked”) will join the production.
Casting announced for West End transfer of THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF MUSICAL.
Great British Bake OffNoel Coward Theatre.
Full casting has been announced for the West End transfer of The Great British Bake Off Musical, which opens at the Noël Coward Theatre for a limited twelve-week run from 25 February – 13 May 2023.
Joining the principal line-up are four-time Olivier Award-nominee and BAFTA-nominee Haydn Gwynne (Billy Elliot the Musical) as Pam Lee, the iconically stylish, sharp-tongued judge, along with former Pop Idol contestant turned West End singing sensation Zoe Birkett (Moulin Rouge! The Musical) as one half of the comedy presenter duo Kim, and rising star Grace Mouat (Rodgers + Hammerstein’s Cinderella) will play contestant Izzy. Georgie Westall (The Rocky Horror Show), Stuart Hickey (Come From Away) and Jamil Abbasi, making his West End debut, join as understudies and Aanya Shah, Amelie Rouse and Maisy Mein will play the child role of Lily.
This heart-warming and funny new British musical captivated audiences in a triumphant run at the Everyman Theatre in Cheltenham this summer and is directed by Rachel Kavanaugh, with a score written by multi-award-winning duo Jake Brunger (book and lyrics) and Pippa Cleary (music and lyrics).
Inspired by the TV show, The Great British Bake Off Musical follows the amateur bakers as they seek to impress the judges and battle their way to be crowned Star Baker. The audience are taken on a rollercoaster of a journey with memorable songs and dance as the bakers face trials, tribulations and baking failures, bringing them together in a story of friendship and romance along the way.
Created by Mark Goucher Productions in association with Creative Director and Executive Producer Richard McKerrow and the producers of the TV phenomenon, Love Productions, this musical comedy has perfectly reimagined the nation’s favourite baking show into a warm-hearted comedy musical. The Great British Bake Off was co-created by Anna Beattie and Richard McKerrow.
The original creative team includes: choreographer Georgina Lamb, set, costume and cake designer Alice Power, lighting designer Ben Cracknell, sound designer Ben Harrison, orchestrator Tom Curran, musical supervisor Mark Collins, and casting director Jim Arnold CDG.
Matthew Bourne’s Romeo and Juliet to return in 2023.
Matthew Bourne’s seminal production of Romeo and Juliet will return in 2023, it has been revealed.
The show, first seen in 2019, reimagines Shakespeare’s tragedy and sets it inside a youth detention centre. It was unanimously praised when it first opened, earning a glowing review from WhatsOnStage.
Bourne said today: “I had resisted creating a new production of Romeo and Juliet for many years wondering if there was anything new to say in a much-performed work. In 2019 I found that inspiration in a countrywide young talent development project that surrounded the original production.
“Working alongside my usual world class creative team but with a team of ‘young artistic associates’ and a young cast of super talented emerging dance artists, we created something relevant, questioning and deeply moving…. But also, an unexpected hit show! I’m therefore thrilled to announce its long-awaited return as part of the celebrated New Adventures repertoire to entertain and provoke audiences with its powerful and timely tale of young love.”
The new tour, co-produced with Sadler’s Wells in London, will open at Curve in Leicester, before visiting The Lowry in Salford from Tuesday 11 July, Wycombe Swan in High Wycombe from Tuesday 18 July and New Theatre Hull from Tuesday 25 July. It will then play a five-week season at Sadler’s Wells from Tuesday 1 August to Saturday 2 September 2023. Additional tour dates are to be revealed.
Joining Bourne on the creative team are Etta Murfitt (associate artistic director), Lez Brotherston (set and costume design), Paule Constable (lighting design), Paul Groothuis (sound design) and Arielle Smith (associate choreographer) with Terry Davies reorchestrating Prokofiev’s score.
General News & Sighting
- This week Kim and Graziano were eliminated from Strictly. The pro dance was choreographed by Bill Deamer, with the Musical’s Medley being choreographed by Oti Mabuse and Nikki Trow. Next week the contestants will each be dancing two numbers.
- ZooNation has appointed Danielle “Rhimes” Lecointe as Associate Artistic Director.
- Musical Con will return to the London Excel Centre on the 21st & 22nd of October 2023.
- Susan Stroman’s production of “Crazy For You” will transfer to the Gillian Lynne theatre in the West End on the 24th of June 2023. The choreography is by Richard Pitt and Angelique Lo, with new dance arrangements by David Krane.
- Complete casting has been revealed for “The Great British Bake Off Musical”. It will star Hadyn Gwyne, Zoe Birkett and Grace Mouat. The choreography is by Georgina Lamb. The show will open on the 25th of February at the Noel Coward theatre in London.
- “Come From Away” announced that it will embark on a new UK & Ireland tour, which will open in Leicester in February 2024. The choreography is by Tara Overfield Wilkinson and Kirsty Malpass.
- Casting has been announced for the upcoming immersive production of “Guys And Dolls” which opens at the Bridge Theatre on the 3rd of March. Daniel Mays, Cedric Neal & Marisha Wallace are set to play the lead roles. The choreography is by Arlene Phillips and James Cousins.
- “Jersey Boys” has extended its run at the Trafalgar Theatre in the West End.
- New rock opera “Tony”, based on the life of Tony Blair, will embark on a UK tour in 2023, opening at the Leicester Square theatre on the 15th of April. The choreography is by Francesca Jaynes.
- ZooNation Academy will have its Christmas show at The Place in London on the 10th of December.
- Yann Bolange is the New Talent Manager for “Move It” 2023.
- Read College has announced a fundraising to ensure the survival of the College. If it cannot raise sufficient funds by the 12th of December, the college will close for good at the end of this term.
- Dance critic Sarah Kaufman was laid off by the Washington Post.
- “Once Upon A One More Time”, a new musical with the songs of Britney Spears, will have its Broadway Premiere on the 13th of May at the Marquis Theatre. The show will be directed and choreographed by Keone & Mari Madrid.
- “Phantom Of The Opera”, the longest running show on Broadway, will now end its run on the 16th of April 2023, according to the New York Times. It was due to close on the 28th of February but ticket demand has been high. The choreography is by Gillian Lynne.*** STOP PRESS – “We Will Rock You” is to return to the West End for a 12 week run at the London Coliseum from the 2nd of June 2023.
Future Dance Events News
- Sir Matt Bourne’s “Romeo & Juliet” will return in 2023 for a 12 week tour beginning on the 3rd of July at the Curve Theatre in Leicester.
- “The Wizard Of Oz” will transfer from Leicester to the London Palladium on the 23rd of June 2023. The choreography is by Shay Barclay.
- Diversity announced their “Supernova” tour will take place throughout 2023 -4.
- Drew McOnie is developing a stage version of the film “The Artist”. It is hoped that the production will be ready to open in late 2023.
- Broadway musical “Head Over Heels” is to have a UK premiere on the 26th of January 2023 at the Hope Mill Theatre in Manchester. It will be directed and choreographed by Tom Jackson Greaves.
- Emma Thompson revealed that her “Nanny McPhee” musical is scheduled to open in the West End in 2023.
- The Leeds Playhouse has unveiled its schedule for 2023, including a Roy Orbison musical.
- A new musical production of Cole Porter’s “Roman Holiday” will open at the Theatre Royal in Bath on the 10th of June 2023.
- “Winnie The Pooh” will start previews at London’s Riverside Studios from the 17th of March 2023. It will then tour the UK and Ireland. The role of Winnie will be played by Jake Bazel.
- “Bonnie & Clyde” will return for a limited season at the Garrick Theatre from the 4th of March until the 20th of May 2023. It will be directed and choreographed by Nick Winston.
- A new production of “Hairspray” will take place at the Kilworth House Theatre in Leicestershire from the 27th of June until the 6th of August 2023.
- Broadway hit “MJ”, based on Michael Jackson’s 1992 “Dangerous” tour, will open at the Prince Edward Theatre in London in March 2024. It is being choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon.
- Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Cinderella” will open as “Bad Cinderella” at the Imperial Theatre on Broadway on the 17th of February 2023. The choreography is by JoAnn M Hunter.
- Anton Du Beke announced his tour for 2023.
- A “Hocus Pocus” musical is on its way to Broadway, according to David Kirschner, the producer of the film.
- “Greatest Days”, the official Take That musical, is to tour the UK next year.
- A new production of “Miss Saigon” will be presented at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield from the 8th of July 2023 until the 12th of August. It will star Joanna Ampil.
- The Broadway musical “Ain’t Too Proud” is to open at the Prince Edward theatre on the 31st of March next year replacing “Mary Poppins”. The Broadway show won a Tony award for Best Choreography by Sergio Trujilio.
- The cast and creatives of the Theatre du Chatelet’s production of “42nd Street” have been announced. It will be directed and choreographed by Stephen Mear and will open on the 7th of December.
- The “Ballet Icons Gala” will take place on the 19th of February 2023 at the London Coliseum. Graham Watts is the Artistic Advisor.
- The Mill at Sonning has unveiled its 2022-23 season of shows including two musical revivals: “Top Hat” will star Jonny Labey with choreography from Ashley Nottingham and take place from the 16th of November until the 30th of December. “Gypsy” will play from the 24th of May until the 15th of July 2023.
- “Everybody’s Talking About Jamie” has confirmed new dates for its second UK tour which begins in September 2023. It will open at The Lowry in Salford on the 7th of September.
- “Annie” will embark on a new tour in 2023, opening at the Curve Theatre in Leicester on the 25th of February before touring.
- “Back To The Future” has revealed plans to open on Broadway in 2023.
- “The Bodyguard” will embark on a new UK tour at Glasgow on the 28th of January 2023.
- A new production of “Shrek The Musical” announced a UK tour from July 2023. Nick Winston will be the choreographer.
- “Dirty Dancing” is to return to the Dominion Theatre on the 21st of January 2023. The choreography is by Austin Wilks.
- Strictly stars Graziano de Prima & Giadi Lini will be choreographing a brand new musical called “La Bamba” – based on the story of Richie Vallens.
Auditions & Vacancies
- Lila Dance is auditioning for 4 dancers to join its production of “Everywhere All At Once” in London. The deadline to apply is the 5th of December. For more information, contact: email@example.com
- Mountview London is looking for a Senior Dance Tutor to join the performance team.
- “The Royal Family” is holding company auditions on the 27th – 29th of January 2023. For further details, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Pegasus Theatre is offering £1,000 to 3 dance artists to showcase their work in “Moving With The Times”, part of the 2023 Dancing Oxford Spring Dance Festival taking place on the 3rd and 4th of March 2023. For more information contact: www.pegasustheatre.org.uk
- Burn The Floor is looking for 10 dancers who specialise in Ballroom. Email: email@example.com
- The Las Vegas show “Rouge” is looking for male dancers who are eligible to work in America. For more details contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Performers College Birmingham are recruiting for a Principle Lecturer of Jazz and Tap. For further information, contact: email@example.com
- Three Rings Agency is looking for dancers for show contracts in Las Vegas. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Place in London is looking for Professional Dance Teachers. Visit the website for further details and how to apply.
- BOR Productions are casting for several of their cruise ship contracts with MSC Cruises. For more details contact: email@example.com
- Taira Foo is teaching a Contemporary Dance and Mental Health workshop with Terry Hyde at “Move It” on Saturday at 3.15pm. You can book on the link in Taira’s Instagram bio.
- Sophina Afzal is teaching a class on Musical Theatre Jazz at “Move It” on Friday at 2.15pm.
- Jordi Guitart is teaching at “Move It” on the 11th of March at 3.30pm.
- Daniela Fabbricatore is teaching an Advanced Lyrical class at “Move It” on the Friday from 10.15 – 11.00 am and an Advanced Fusion class on the Saturday at 12.30 pm.
- Rae Piper is teaching a Contemporary Ballet class at “Move It” for Chantry Dance Company on the Saturday at 12.45pm.
- Sammy Ceriani will be teaching a Hip Hop class at “Move It” on the 10th of March from 12.15 – 1.00pm.
- Kimberly Wyatt is doing “A Showcase For Christmas” on the 9th of December at 6.00pm at Addlestone Community Centre for £12.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures company is offering 2 x 3 hour classes for pro dancers – one contemporary and one ballet. Each class is £30. They are at the Trinity Laban on the 4th and the 5th of January at 10.00am. Follow the “Opportunities” button in the New Adventures bio on Instagram to register.
- Natalie Twist has a pop up Commercial Latin dance class at Pineapple Studios on the 20th of December and the 5th & 10th of January 2023.
- Sir Matt Bourne’s New Adventures is offering a “Sleeping Beauty” masterclass for professional dancers and those in training on the 10th of December. The class includes a ticket to see “Sleeping Beauty” at Sadlers Wells the same evening.
- AYAW is offering a Christmas Intensive workshop in Liverpool on the 22nd of December with teachers, Nicolette Whitley, Josh Wharmby & George Cartwright for £25. Book on the AYAW page on Instagram.
- Emily Shepherd has a Dance Fit & Stretch class at Pineapple Studios in London every Wednesday from 7.00 – 8.00pm.
- Katie Mayfield is offering a Musical Theatre class on Fridays from 7.30 – 8.30pm at the Alexandra Studios in Brighton for £8. DM Katie on her Instagram to book.
- Elise Bulley is offering classes on Mondays from 6.00 – 7.00pm at the Coastguard Studios in Southsea. Book via: empowerwithelise.simplybookit/v2
- Chloe Miles is doing a Heels class every Monday from 7.15 – 8.15pm at Unit 6, Stumps Lane in Spalding for £5. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hannah Cleeve has a weekly Heels class at Base Dance Studios (the James Brown Studio) on Wednesdays from 1.00 – 2.30pm for £11.
- Flavia Cacace is offering a Beginners Couples Class at Blackawton Village Hall, Totnes, on Thursdays at 7.00pm. Email: email@example.com
- Amy Ireland has a weekly Tap class at the Base Studios on Thursdays at 2.00pm and Contemporary Jazz at 3.00pm.
- 3 Rings Talent offers a Commercial class with Beky Humphreys every Tuesday from 2.30 – 4.00pm at Base Dance studio in London.
- Nafisah Baba is teaching at Danceworks in London on Wednesdays from 5.30 – 7.00pm and on Tuesdays from 8.00 – 9.30pm.
- Lowri Jackson has a weekly Heels class at Base Studios on Saturdays from 4.00 – 5.30pm.
- Martina Gumbs is doing a Jazz Heels class on Wednesdays from 7.00 – 8.15pm for £7 at Studio 25, Manchester. For more details and to book, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Holly Stubbings is giving a Contemporary Fusion class at Pineapple Dance Studios on Fridays from 6.00 – 7.00pm.
- Jared Hageman is offering a Jazz class on Mondays from 5.30 – 7.00pm for £9 at the Hub Studio in London.
- Shona Wilson has a Commercial class at Base Studios on Thursday from 8.30 – 9.55pm.
- Aileen Carroll-Turner is offering Adult Ballet classes at intermediate level on Mondays from 8.00 – 9.30pm at CTSD in Brighton. Students £8.50 and drop ins £9.50.
- Laura Morse is offering a class on Wednesdays at Base Studios, London, from 5.30 – 6.55pm. Book your space via the app.
- Haley Monaghan is teaching a Heels class on Wednesdays from 8.30 – 10.00pm at the Base Dance Studios in London for £12. Book your place via the app.
- Kim Collins is offering a Commercial class every Wednesday & Saturday from 1.00 – 2.25pm at the Base Dance Studios in London.
- Christopher Tendai is offering a Musical Theatre Jazz class at Pineapple Studios, London, on Tuesdays from 10.15 – 11.45am.
- Gareth Walker is teaching a Commercial Jazz dance class at the Pineapple Studios every Tuesday at 3.15pm.
- Ombracuradance have a weekly Hip Hop / Experimental dance class at The Base Studios on Mondays at 8.30 – 9.55pm
- Katie Deacon has an Advanced / Pro Ballet Class at the Pineapple Dance Studios on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 1.30pm.
- Christabelle Field is teaching a Latin Jazz class at the Base Dance Studio on Thursdays from 2.30 – 4.00pm for £9 in the Timberlake Studio. Christabelle also teaches at the Dance Attic on Thursday from 6.15 – 8.15pm.
- Louise Barton has a Commercial Dance class at the Pineapple Dance Studios every Friday from 1.45 – 3.15pm.
- Lil J is offering a number of “sassy commercial fusion” dance classes at Pineapple Studios. Check the website for details.
- Christina Andrea has classes at Pineapple Studios on Tuesday from 5.00 – 6.00pm (Studio 2) & Wednesday from 7.45 – 8.45pm (Studio 1). There is also a Commercial Edge class at Base Studios on Thursday from 2.30 – 4.00pm (James Brown Studio).
Film And Video
- The all-star Sondheim event will be broadcast on the BBC this Christmas. It was staged by Sir Matt Bourne and Stephen Mear.
- We spotted Jess Impiazzi at the “Dancing For Hero’s” Ball in London.
- We spotted Tyra Roberts dancing for Beenie Man at the MOBO Awards.
- We spotted Darcey Simmons in Mae Muller’s new video. The choreography was by Claudimar Neto.
And that is it for 2022! “The Pro Dancer News” will be back in the New Year.
We would like to wish all our readers a very Merry Christmas!!
View The Strictly Stars Wearing Dincwear Dancewear
From all the news team at Dincwear Dancewear, See you all next week!
This post has been created by the Dincwear Dancewear Team.